GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, if KJ routinely walked Bodie at that time of night, someone might have known her routine.

I was wondering about that. I know people have different lifestyles and habits. Even when I worked at night, shift work, I didn't walk my dog at night in a park. During the day, yes. Night? Nope, he gets a walk to the mailbox.

Welcome to Ws @JoJa OnMyMind, thanks for the article!
From link..
March 15 2022

“We are relying on the science and the technology,” Hampton said. “Investigations take time. We’ve been fortunate to get some of these high-profile cases solved in days and weeks. And then there are other cases that our team continues to work diligently to bring the people responsible to justice.”

Hampton said APD is continuing to meet with the FBI weekly about the case and that it is still an active investigation.''

It doesn't appear that that is the case though. Emma said she usually wasn't out that late and she really didn't have a set routine in where she walked Bowie.

Which leads us more to meeting someone, possibly that she knew well enough to meet at night, with her dog. Not random.

Must be someone she knows fairly well. I just can't think who I would meet at a park at night. Aside from my husband.

Which leads us more to meeting someone, possibly that she knew well enough to meet at night, with her dog. Not random.

Must be someone she knows fairly well. I just can't think who I would meet at a park at night. Aside from my husband.

Yep. KJ must have had a compelling reason for going into the park at that hour, away from most lights, observers, and passing traffic. IMO it had to do with love or money.

Yep. KJ must have had a compelling reason for going into the park at that hour, away from most lights, observers, and passing traffic. IMO it had to do with love or money.
That would seem to imply that Katie or Emma was mixed up in something. They seem to have lived pretty private lives as far as I can tell. Was there a love affair? Was there some illicit business dealings? I guess its possible. But it doesn't seem likely.

That would seem to imply that Katie or Emma was mixed up in something. They seem to have lived pretty private lives as far as I can tell. Was there a love affair? Was there some illicit business dealings? I guess its possible. But it doesn't seem likely.

I know what you mean. Yet the unimaginable happened to this woman and her dog. I'm trying to imagine how.

Many motives lead back to "love or money" IMO--but they don't necessarily make either KJ or EC a bad person.

Former LE alluding to the murders have suggested a familiarity with the killer(s). To me, love and money are the two major complicating forces in life and crime. (Revenge is a third, but less consuming and inflammatory--there are easier ways to exact revenge than murder.) But being spurned, stalking, holding a torch, blackmail, collecting a debt, buying or selling items or substances can all go terribly sideways in an instant. And the pandemic has amplified people's emotions and bad behavior in general.

By now, with a reward in place, a witness or informant would have given ATLPD/FBI actionable info. I want to believe LE's watchfully waiting. Via earlier posts here, LE reportedly has "no full sample of DNA." The forensic DNA investigators do amazing work, but it can take quite a while.

Last edited:
I don't know about this. Couldn't it have been as simple as she wanted to let Bowie off leash for a bit? We don't know whether he was running loose when she was attacked (or when he was attacked)! I have to believe if she was meeting up with someone there would be evidence of that on her phone. The fact that her earbud was still in her ear indicates that maybe she was just walking the dog... I wonder what she was listening to - could be very telling.

I don't know about this. Couldn't it have been as simple as she wanted to let Bowie off leash for a bit? We don't know whether he was running loose when she was attacked (or when he was attacked)! I have to believe if she was meeting up with someone there would be evidence of that on her phone. The fact that her earbud was still in her ear indicates that maybe she was just walking the dog... I wonder what she was listening to - could be very telling.
I have not listened to all of EC's interviews. I know she had said Katie didn't really have a set route or routine when walking Bowie. I wonder if she said anything about whether she occasionally let Bowie off leash. Personally, I would probably not let my dog off leash in a park at night. But other people may certainly think differently. Another thing I think about is that by the time they headed to the park, Katie and Bowie had already been out on a pretty long walk.

Last edited:

Sure, it could be that simple: letting Bowie run a bit.

But then I think LE would have made much more of the possible danger of a serial killer, or at least the dangers of walking in the park alone after midnight. Their cautionary announcement was routine "don't walk alone" stuff shortly after the murders. The mayor squashed speculation of an SK, though she did say they were looking for the person "or persons" involved. Nearly eight months later, no arrests.

We also don't know what or whose phone messages/texts they're examining. KJ may have been texting with her earbud in. Hopefully LE is also examining all pertinent banking and credit card records.

I think your question about what she was listening to is very interesting.

Sure, it could be that simple: letting Bowie run a bit.

But then I think LE would have made much more of the possible danger of a serial killer, or at least the dangers of walking in the park alone after midnight. Their cautionary announcement was routine "don't walk alone" stuff shortly after the murders. The mayor squashed speculation of an SK, though she did say they were looking for the person "or persons" involved. Nearly eight months later, no arrests.

We also don't know what or whose phone messages/texts they're examining. KJ may have been texting with her earbud in. Hopefully LE is also examining all pertinent banking and credit card records.

I think your question about what she was listening to is very interesting.
Right, because I don't think very many women would be comfortable with music blaring through their earbuds in a dark park after midnight. But then again, maybe she felt totally safe with Bowie by her side? And I agree with your point about if it were random killer, police would have issued a public safety warning... except we have seen them fail to do that in other cases e.g., Delphi, where they told everyone there was no threat to the public. I do have to believe that the cops have long since completed an analysis of Katie's phone and its contents. Surely they know everyone she was in contact with by now.

Right, because I don't think very many women would be comfortable with music blaring through their earbuds in a dark park after midnight. But then again, maybe she felt totally safe with Bowie by her side? And I agree with your point about if it were random killer, police would have issued a public safety warning... except we have seen them fail to do that in other cases e.g., Delphi, where they told everyone there was no threat to the public. I do have to believe that the cops have long since completed an analysis of Katie's phone and its contents. Surely they know everyone she was in contact with by now.
She could have been walking with only one ear bud in. I do that sometimes.

OFF TOPIC
I am getting a Websleuths Error when I try to open The Delphi Murders #143 (current one). Is this happening to anyone else?

One detail I don't hear mentioned much are the 9 cameras in PP. Sure, we know now, from LE they are possibly obsolete.
IMO very few knew that the cameras were basically decoys before the murders. One of those cameras is mounted very near where Bowie was found. I would speculate if someone that KJ knew wanted to kill her the plan would not involve cameras, getting caught in the act by someone else in the park or the chance of LE being called & arriving during the murders that the Fulton County DA stated took some time.
IMO this was very well planned in the sick mind of a monster, possibly KJ was stalked either from a distance or some sort of casual interaction. This beast's state of mind was only in killing mode & adrenaline rush from fulfilling a perverted fantasy. No care as to being seen or apprehended.

JMOO

https://twitter.com/HayleyMasonTV/status/1433466873019047938

@HayleyMasonTV

NEW: Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant tells me no one has been ruled out as a suspect in the Piedmont Park murder case. He says the case is still wide open and active. The department has faced challenges accessing video from park cameras and is still working to recover images.

11:28 AM · Sep 2, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

As of September, it was announced that they were experiencing trouble recovering images but would continue working in order to obtain them. Then, on JAN 4, the police stated "they were getting close" to solving this horrendous murder and the "investigation is moving in the right direction."

At this point in time, I would like to think this case is in the hands of the Grand Jury, or will be soon.

I've added a few more points of reference to the timeline:

11:35 pm - Katie departs after visiting Emma's workplace
12:09 am - Katie is seen on the rainbow crosswalk with Bowie about to enter Piedmont Park
12:25 am - guy with walking cane exits park
12:35 am - Emma stated she left work about an hour after Katie's visit
12:46 am - that jogger in green was passing near the CS exiting the Park
01:11 am - 911 was called by Emma

Sometimes hearing things gets me to thinking differently than reading things. DeDee posted this quite some time ago, but then I was listening to a story about this case and the host made an interesting point: why did EC go right into panic mode, using Find my iPhone, etc., when Katie didn't answer her texts? It seems like she wasn't home for very long before that was her reaction. If we go by this timeline. EC couldn't have been home for very long before rushing to the park and then calling 911. Are there any other reports that alter this timeline of when EC left work?

Sometimes hearing things gets me to thinking differently than reading things. DeDee posted this quite some time ago, but then I was listening to a story about this case and the host made an interesting point: why did EC go right into panic mode, using Find my iPhone, etc., when Katie didn't answer her texts? It seems like she wasn't home for very long before that was her reaction. If we go by this timeline. EC couldn't have been home for very long before rushing to the park and then calling 911. Are there any other reports that alter this timeline of when EC left work?
This is mostly my opinion. I think describing EC as going into panic mode is a bit exaggerated.
Although there has never been an exact time stated as to when EC left Henry's Tavern, EC stated about an hour after KJ & B came by Henry's to say, Hi, I'm walking the dog, then headed home.
IMO it took less than 5 minutes for EC to ride home from HT (most of the ride downhill & then flat).
EC expected KJ & B to be home.
EC most likely was concerned to find them not home, I speculate.
EC became worried when KJ didn't answer calls or texts. She stated in her interview w/Channel46 news, she called a bunch of times & texted w/no answer. She thought maybe KJ had lost or dropped her phone w/o realizing it. EC stated that KJ always answered. Then EC stated she tried the 'find my phone' app & saw the phone was in PP & not moving. So she 'got back on her bike & headed for the park', as stated by Karyn Greer w/11alive news. The bike ride to PP probably took about 5-9 minutes depending on where EC entered (at 10th & CA or 12th & Piedmont Ave). I speculate EC entered at 10th & CA because she stated in several interviews she saw Bowie right away (that ride would have been flat, then mostly downhill).
So based on speculation, I would say EC got home about 12:40am, left apt around 12:52am, arrived at PP around 12:59am & called 911 at 1:10am.
JMOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members