GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Late to the party here, but just wanted to say I can't believe this case doesn't have a little more traction publicity-wise. To me it's almost Delphi-level fascinating, and the cases have some notable similarities (public park, more than one victim, the killer took his time, <modsnip:rumors).

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. I think that at night, a perp (even one covered in blood) could easily exit the park unseen almost anywhere along its east boundary (basically, crossing the interim eastside belt line trail at some location). This has always been the darkest, most wooded, scariest, and least-visited part of the park. I think there typically are more homeless in that area as well (jmo).

In fact, a perp could walk straight out of the park by heading north on the east side belt line trail, which would take you up behind Ansley Mall. All jmo.
Definitely see your point.
Yet this is a high density area and so even if the perp is slithering on the ground and/or hitting the sewer system...at some point they're likely gonna emerge and engage with the public and/or public infrastructure (ie sec cams). Also, as was stated up-thread the homeless pop is pretty tight in that area and they'd have registered a bloody perp in their midst and likely notified LE.
moo.

I think it is quite possible there was screaming and that it didn't carry far enough, wasn't that noticeable over other sounds, or that it just didn't register with people.
I know when I lived in midtown Atlanta, I tuned out all kinds of background sounds because it was just a noisy environment.

Definitely see your point.
Yet this is a high density area and so even if the perp is slithering on the ground and/or hitting the sewer system...at some point they're likely gonna emerge and engage with the public and/or public infrastructure (ie sec cams). Also, as was stated up-thread the homeless pop is pretty tight in that area and they'd have registered a bloody perp in their midst and likely notified LE.
moo.

Nighttime and black/dark clothing would make blood rather hard to see I believe - they might just look wet.

I wonder if Bowie was off leash, or she was letting Bowie run around with his leash dangling. I just say that because to me it seems as though the killer would want to grab and neutralize the dog, without having to approach to within leash-length of Katie and alarm her. They were found 100 feet apart, right? But I think LE thinks she ran. Again, maybe the killer knew them and the dog trusted him. hmmmm.

I'm still puzzled as to how Katie's autopsy report was released but not Bowie's. As someone else previously posted... maybe the necropsy report holds vital details. I hope an Atlanta reporter continues to push for additional info on this case.

Brutal stabbing in Daytona Beach. Some similarities to Katie and Bowie’s murder. Very sad.
Daytona Beach stabbing: North Wild Olive Ave. neighbors speak out

I was just going to post this - made me think of Katie. Two people on bikes, a person with a pit bull - there are much easier targets out there.

"This is probably one of the most vicious and gruesome incidents that I’ve witnessed in my 20 years," Chief Jakari Young said. "We can’t rule out that this may be totally random, but if it is totally random, the person responsible has to be deranged." Daytona Beach couple found with throats slashed were riding bikes home, police say

I was just going to post this - made me think of Katie. Two people on bikes, a person with a pit bull - there are much easier targets out there.

"This is probably one of the most vicious and gruesome incidents that I’ve witnessed in my 20 years," Chief Jakari Young said. "We can’t rule out that this may be totally random, but if it is totally random, the person responsible has to be deranged." Daytona Beach couple found with throats slashed were riding bikes home, police say

Totally agreed—
Also, the general stature/gait of the POI in the photos/video released by Daytona PD kinda even eerily resembles the person in all white with the red splotch & cane from that APD “potential witnesses” video
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/video-shows-person-of-interest-in-stabbing-of-daytona-beach-couple-police
APD releases images of possible witnesses in Piedmont Park murder
I know it’s a long shot that these cases are connected, but the similarities & even how they were described by LE are pretty darn uncanny…
JMO

Last edited:
IMO the autopsy report being released by the Fulton County ME's office was unique.
According to GA state codes, not all records are public records including veterinary records.

View attachment 335873

View attachment 335875

Was it stated as to how the news agency obtained the report? Did they say it was the result of a FOIA request (which doesn't seem to fly based on the GA state code) or was it leaked by the ME's office or LE?? Or could/would a family member release it?

*This is not specifically directed at you @AtlantaBourne - just used your post as reference :)

Was it stated as to how the news agency obtained the report? Did they say it was the result of a FOIA request (which doesn't seem to fly based on the GA state code) or was it leaked by the ME's office or LE?? Or could/would a family member release it?

*This is not specifically directed at you @AtlantaBourne - just used your post as reference :)

Every news station and newspaper in the Atlanta market filed a FOIA for the autopsy.

IMO the autopsy report being released by the Fulton County ME's office was unique.
According to GA state codes, not all records are public records including veterinary records.

View attachment 335873

View attachment 335875

Medical and veterinary records are different from autopsy/necropsy reports. State supreme court says autopsy reports are public information.

1. HIPAA
Georgia’s Attorney General has officially opined that HIPAA does not prevent the release of information on copies of death certificates about the cause of death of an individual, as well as conditions leading to the person’s death and information concerning surgical proceedings, if any, conducted on the deceased. Ga. Opp. Atty. Gen. No. 07-4 (2007).

A. Autopsy and coroners reports
The Act does not exempt autopsy or coroners’ reports. See Kilgore v. R. W. Page Corp., 259 Ga. 556, 385 S.E.2d 406 (1989) (Act applies to the office of coroner). However, the code otherwise specifically forbids the release of any autopsy photographs or images by hospitals without written permission of the next of kin. O.C.G.A. § 45-16-27(d). But in closed criminal investigations a superior court may find that the public interest in disclosure outweighs any privacy interest asserted by the deceased’s next of kin and permit such photographs to be disclosed. Id.

Open Government Guide Georgia - Reporters Committee

Medical and veterinary records are different from autopsy/necropsy reports. State supreme court says autopsy reports are public information.

1. HIPAA
Georgia’s Attorney General has officially opined that HIPAA does not prevent the release of information on copies of death certificates about the cause of death of an individual, as well as conditions leading to the person’s death and information concerning surgical proceedings, if any, conducted on the deceased. Ga. Opp. Atty. Gen. No. 07-4 (2007).

A. Autopsy and coroners reports
The Act does not exempt autopsy or coroners’ reports. See Kilgore v. R. W. Page Corp., 259 Ga. 556, 385 S.E.2d 406 (1989) (Act applies to the office of coroner). However, the code otherwise specifically forbids the release of any autopsy photographs or images by hospitals without written permission of the next of kin. O.C.G.A. § 45-16-27(d). But in closed criminal investigations a superior court may find that the public interest in disclosure outweighs any privacy interest asserted by the deceased’s next of kin and permit such photographs to be disclosed. Id.

Open Government Guide Georgia - Reporters Committee

Thank you! I've been a little stressed of late and misplaced my "thinking cap", again :oops::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btc121296