GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right - not to go on a tangent but is everyone here aware of SnapMap? All these kids/20s who live on Snapchat can literally pull up a SnapMap and see where all their friends are who have opted to participate (almost all do). For example, we were at Logan Airport in Boston and my kid pulled up SnapMap and we could see zillions of people he knew who were also at the airport. Zoom out, and you can see where they are in the entire world. It's just a totally different mentality among these young 'uns - whereas I view posting one's location for all to see as virtually insane. Sorry for that rant but I guarantee we will hear about SnapMap in a case at some point!

Yes indeed. The recent case of Chandler Halderson who killed and dismembered his parents had quite a bit of evidence presented at trial that had to do with his various locations as revealed by SnapMap. It is absolutely going to factor into more and more cases, perhaps even the case of Katie Janness.

Yes indeed. The recent case of Chandler Halderson who killed and dismembered his parents had quite a bit of evidence presented at trial that had to do with his various locations as revealed by SnapMap. It is absolutely going to factor into more and more cases, perhaps even the case of Katie Janness.
I also wonder if LE could prove by process of elimination that the killer did not have a phone. Sort of a reverse of the usual process. I notice that at least 3 of the 6 potential witnesses did have a phone & LE said around 08/04/21 that these people were not suspects.
JMO

I also wonder if LE could prove by process of elimination that the killer did not have a phone. Sort of a reverse of the usual process. I notice that at least 3 of the 6 potential witnesses did have a phone & LE said around 08/04/21 that these people were not suspects.
JMO

I have been learning about what LE can find out from these cell tower communications and tower dumps. I'm not an expert, but I think what is going to be difficult for LE in this situation is the fact that it is an urban area and very dense with cell sites. Your phone does not always connect with the closest tower to your exact location, it connects with the one that it can get the best signal from and that's a calculation based on many things including the amount of cellular traffic in the area at a given time. The "best" tower for your phone at any given time might be one that is farther away. So if LE in this case were looking to prove that a particular known device was in the area, that would be hard enough. Using all of the data to pinpoint the device of an unknown individual is going to be nearly impossible. If this was a rural area with few cell towers the answer would be different though. But unfortunately the dense population and high number of cell sites is actually going to make things tougher to prove where people moved around within the vicinity of the park. IMO

Agree. Either EC is off on the time KJ left Henry's or Katie and Bowie clearly went somewhere else after Henry's and before heading to PP.

I've often wondered about EC's statements about time, because IIRC, she said this in early interviews, when she probably still wasn't thinking very clearly. Of course, LE knows what time she clocked out of work, and my understanding is that they do have footage of her leaving Henry's, getting home, leaving home, etc., so they're aware of her movements and her timeframe on that night -- which could be completely different from what we think we know. As always, we're going on such limited information here.

I've often wondered about EC's statements about time, because IIRC, she said this in early interviews, when she probably still wasn't thinking very clearly. Of course, LE knows what time she clocked out of work, and my understanding is that they do have footage of her leaving Henry's, getting home, leaving home, etc., so they're aware of her movements and her timeframe on that night -- which could be completely different from what we think we know. As always, we're going on such limited information here.
There is also the possibility that EC saw or even passed a few of the potential witnesses on her way from HT to apt around 12:30-12:40 am. Or visa versa. The witness known as 'man with cane' leaving PP at 12th & Piedmont Ave at 12:25 am would definitely be a possibility as he seemed to head South down Piedmont towards 10th & maybe the jogger at PP 10th & CA at 12:46 am came down the hill on 10th from Piedmont Ave. Although we don't know for certain where the man/cane went or where the jogger came from, they all could have crossed or seen one another up 10th closer to Henry's.

JMO.

I remember when the original 911 call was released. EC was talking to the 911 operator and also was talking to a male person who was in the background. Is there still a link to that or was it redacted?
Here is the 911 call from You Tube:

Also attaching press conference 08/03/21 regarding cameras at PP:

This is strictly my opinion, but I’ve always felt like KJ was on her way back to meet EC when she was captured in the surveillance video. If she left HT at 11:35pm, it would’ve taken her 3 minutes to get to the rainbow crosswalk. If she knew EC was getting off around 12:20/12:30am and she was in the crosswalk at 12:09am, why wouldn’t she wait 10 or so more minutes so they could walk home together? Either the timeline EC gave is wrong or there is a reason why KJ was still in the area almost an hour after she supposedly left HT. Another thing that perplexes me is when EC started calling KJ. If she started calling at 12:30am, what was KJ doing that she couldn’t answer? Was she already being attacked by this time?

I guess I think about how I would do things. If my boyfriend worked at a restaurant and I left his spot at 11:35pm and found myself 2-3 minutes from his restaurant at 12:09am, I’d definitely be calling him to see how much longer it would be before he was getting off. I would never be out walking somewhere that close to my significant other without checking in with him to see if we could just walk home together. But that’s just me.
I think APD hasn’t ruled anyone out bc although they may have solid alibis or timelines, they won’t be able to rule anyone out until they catch the killer. bc they can’t rule out the idea that someone who has a solid alibi could’ve possibly orchestrated this from afar. However, I honestly feel like KJ ran into a psycho that night. Wrong place. Wrong time.

One of the original 9 pictures released by LE on 03 Aug 2021 shows 3 potential witnesses leaving PP at 10th St & CA. IIRC they are pictured at 11:54 pm.
What I find interesting is how far into the park, the driveway into the park, you can see.
I notice the pic of the jogger at 12:46 am seems to be zoomed in & cropped at the bottom & right side.
These pics are from the same camera mounted on a pole at the SW corner of 10th & CA.
This has always made me wonder what could be seen in the pic of the jogger if it were not cropped & zoomed in.

CA.10th.pic.1.07.27.21.11-54pm-1.png

CA.10th.pic.2.07.28.21.12-46am.png

JMOO.

Thank you for your post. Katie’s legacy is her kindness, and her caring and working towards a world where all beings are valued and respected, I believe with my entire heart. She had much to give and do here, and was taken from us at a time we can’t afford to lose any more gentle, yet strong and steadfast believers in the good we have in our world that we need to cultivate and embrace. (IKFAF)

One of the original 9 pictures released by LE on 03 Aug 2021 shows 3 potential witnesses leaving PP at 10th St & CA. IIRC they are pictured at 11:54 pm.
What I find interesting is how far into the park, the driveway into the park, you can see.
I notice the pic of the jogger at 12:46 am seems to be zoomed in & cropped at the bottom & right side.
These pics are from the same camera mounted on a pole at the SW corner of 10th & CA.
This has always made me wonder what could be seen in the pic of the jogger if it were not cropped & zoomed in.

View attachment 337961

View attachment 337962

JMOO.
I have thought about this as well. In the photo of the jogger, you can see quite a ways up the street into the park. It has been said that Bowie was located about 50 feet in on the street. It seems that could have been just around where this camera can see into the park. Unless Bowie was actually wasn't in the street, but on the walk path.

EC stated he was in the roadway approximately 50 ft from the gate. Several MSM reports have reiterated her statement. I must admit I have a pic taken from the 1st report from 11alive news & I can see B next to EC's bike. I won't re-post that pic, but, I will post the silver box just outside the CA entrance up 10th on the NW side of the entrance.

electrical box.10th.CA.PP-1.png

In the background you can see a wooden telephone pole. IMO B was on the roadway where the pole is located. In the pic of the 3 people leaving the park, I can see that same pole. It's very blurry, but it's there.

JMOO.

View attachment 337961

View attachment 337962

JMOO.

So I did some digging. They are actually two different cameras. One is a PTZ... and the other is Quad. Look at the bottom of the screen grabs where you can see the location and time stamp. I found the original camera quote request from the atlanta police foundation for the installation of the cameras. There are two different types... PTZ and Quad. So I would imagine there's a reason they pulled video/photos of the same intersection from two different cameras. Like you said... could be because the quad cam showed too far into the park when the jogger was there. But I don't think they cropped the videos/pictures. Just strategically used specific camera sources. Very interesting.

https://www.atlantapolicefoundation...-Operation-Shield-Camera-Network-Jan-2019.pdf

Attachments

• WITNESSES-- QUAD.JPG
    WITNESSES-- QUAD.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 108
  • JOGGER PTZ.JPG
    JOGGER PTZ.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 103
  • ATLANTA CAMERAS.JPG
    ATLANTA CAMERAS.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 64
So I did some digging. They are actually two different cameras. One is a PTZ... and the other is Quad. Look at the bottom of the screen grabs where you can see the location and time stamp. I found the original camera quote request from the atlanta police foundation for the installation of the cameras. There are two different types... PTZ and Quad. So I would imagine there's a reason they pulled video/photos of the same intersection from two different cameras. Like you said... could be because the quad cam showed too far into the park when the jogger was there. But I don't think they cropped the videos/pictures. Just strategically used specific camera sources. Very interesting.

https://www.atlantapolicefoundation...-Operation-Shield-Camera-Network-Jan-2019.pdf
That is a great find. Definitely 2 cams. I've been there several times & can only see 1 camera physically mounted. But when I look at the jogger pic you have posted, the right side all the way down is blacked out. Am I seeing this?
JMO.

That is a great find. Definitely 2 cams. I've been there several times & can only see 1 camera physically mounted. But when I look at the jogger pic you have posted, the right side all the way down is blacked out. Am I seeing this?
JMO.

I think that's just my screen grab. I snipped it from my computer and the background was black. Here's the actual video

Attachments

• 10th St NE and Charles Allen Dr NE PTZ-2021-07-28_00h46min48s000ms.mp4
    845.9 KB · Views: 53
I think that's just my screen grab. I snipped it from my computer and the background was black. Here's the actual video
Ok. Yes, it doesn't appear to be cropped, IMO.
I did notice in the video at 5-6 seconds jogger's shadow casts across the 2 signs mounted to the gate. Could a vehicle have been sitting at the light on CA waiting to turn onto 10th? The headlights causing the shadows? Just speculation but if there was a vehicle there I hope LE was able to track it down.
I am feeling positive about this camera capturing something. LE is not able to compromise the investigation by releasing info.
IMO.

In the "Witnesses--Quad" image, when looking deep into the driveway to the park, there is a blurred square in the center (basically center top of image). Do you think this is just some optical thing related to the camera or was this square purposefully blurred later by LE?

ETA 'Just please don't tell me I'm the only one seeing this blurred square! ;)

In the "Witnesses--Quad" image, when looking deep into the driveway to the park, there is a blurred square in the center (basically center top of image). Do you think this is just some optical thing related to the camera or was this square purposefully blurred later by LE?

ETA 'Just please don't tell me I'm the only one seeing this blurred square! ;)

I noticed it too. It's also in ELepo's video in post #617.

I'm thinking it was something purposely blurred by LE before the images were released to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member