GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BGGS. I work in Midtown and I will tell you….there are some professional people with whom I work that don’t even know about KJs murder and then there are those who say, “was that murder in PP ever solved?” So yes, I agree with you…. a community rally would not hurt to get the community and media revved back up.

@BGGS. I work in Midtown and I will tell you….there are some professional people with whom I work that don’t even know about KJs murder and then there are those who say, “was that murder in PP ever solved?” So yes, I agree with you…. a community rally would not hurt to get the community and media revved back up.
I hate to say this, but murders in Atlanta are so common many people just tune them out. If you live/work in the city and dwell on the crime statistics you are going to be miserable. So most people do one of two things: 1) turn out the news about crimes 2) Leave Atlanta metro.

ADMIN NOTE:

Sorry folks, but some posts have been removed as there does not appear to be any MSM or info from Atlanta PD regarding an upcoming presser by APD.

From TOS aka The Rules: Etiquette & Information

Websleuths is fact based, so unless a member is Verified by Websleuths as either a professional or case insider, information stated as fact must contain a link to an approved source, otherwise it is considered hearsay/rumor.

Last edited:
QELUPG7NABCJFHZHSBB23OUBQY.jpg

Exclusive: New cameras installed at Piedmont Park nine months after murder (cbs46.com)
By Rachel Polansky
Apr. 13, 2022
''ATLANTA, Ga. (CBS46) - Surveillance cameras are now up in Piedmont Park and other parks across the city.

In the wake of the unsolved murder of Katie Janness and her dog, Bowie, at Piedmont Park last summer – the Atlanta City Council approved legislation to enhance safety measures – including installing surveillance cameras in 20 city-owned parks.

According to a timeline obtained by CBS46 Investigates, that installation was slated to begin in January 2022. At the end of January, Atlanta City Councilman Michael Bond told us installation hadn’t happened and city council hadn’t received an updated timeline.

Four months later, investigative reporter Rachel Polansky noticed three new visible surveillance cameras in Piedmont Park. The Atlanta Department of Parks and Recreation tells us more than 30 cameras are now active in the park.''

QELUPG7NABCJFHZHSBB23OUBQY.jpg

Exclusive: New cameras installed at Piedmont Park nine months after murder (cbs46.com)
By Rachel Polansky
Apr. 13, 2022
''ATLANTA, Ga. (CBS46) - Surveillance cameras are now up in Piedmont Park and other parks across the city.

In the wake of the unsolved murder of Katie Janness and her dog, Bowie, at Piedmont Park last summer – the Atlanta City Council approved legislation to enhance safety measures – including installing surveillance cameras in 20 city-owned parks.

According to a timeline obtained by CBS46 Investigates, that installation was slated to begin in January 2022. At the end of January, Atlanta City Councilman Michael Bond told us installation hadn’t happened and city council hadn’t received an updated timeline.

Four months later, investigative reporter Rachel Polansky noticed three new visible surveillance cameras in Piedmont Park. The Atlanta Department of Parks and Recreation tells us more than 30 cameras are now active in the park.''
Well that is good news.
Was there anything new about significant arrests being announced today? I never heard.

Well that is good news.
Was there anything new about significant arrests being announced today? I never heard.
Maybe these arrests? imo.
Atlanta rapper known as Cash Out accused of rape, sex trafficking (cbs46.com)
Apr. 14, 2022
This one..
Atlanta police announce major arrests made in violent crime cases (cbs46.com)
ATLANTA, Ga. (CBS46) - Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant held a news conference Thursday to reflect on some major arrests made as part of the department’s fugitive unit.

Between March 12 and April 7, APD says it made 57 fugitive arrests. Twelve of those were for murder. Thirteen of those arrests were made on April 6 alone.

During his remarks, Chief Bryant urged the City’s judicial system to keep offenders off the streets, noting that the 57 suspects had already been arrested more than 365 times collectively. One of the men had 37 prior arrests.

Altogether, the arrests made consisted of violent crimes such as aggravated assault, murder, armed robbery, cruelty to children, child molestation and aggravated battery.''

April 14 2022 rbbm.
Atlanta Police announce 'significant arrests' of 57 suspects in various crimes - Reporter Newspapers & Atlanta Intown
''One high-profile homicide case that lingers from last year is that of Katherine “Katie” Janness, who was brutally stabbed to death along with her dog in Piedmont Park on July 28.

“What I can tell you about the Piedmont Park case is that it’s still as open as it was day one,” Bryant said. “We are still getting in information and still going through a lot of evidence.”

''Mayor Dickens thanked the officers for their hard work and proclaimed them the “best police force in the nation.”

He noted that the Repeat Offenders Tracking Unit was now operational and an announcement would be made soon about a Court Watch program that would allow residents to track criminal cases through the court system.''

NOTING..
Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant is retiring, department says (cbs46.com)
Apr. 15, 2022 at 10:27 AM EDT|Updated: 2 hours ago
''ATLANTA, Ga. (CBS46) - Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant is retiring in June, the police department confirmed to CBS46.
Bryant, who joined Atlanta’s police force in 1988, was confirmed to serve as the department’s 25th Chief in May 2021, almost a year after being chosen to serve as Interim Chief following the departure of Erika Shields.''

Sorry for the string of posts!
rbbm.
As the Atlanta festival season gets under way, expect to see more of APD’s Mounted Patrol (yahoo.com)
''APD said stats for crime in or very near city parks, starting in 2018 and continuing until recently, show Piedmont Park with the highest levels of property crime by far, though others have had more violent crime.

“We’re going to focus our attention on the parks that have the most crime,” Lyon said.

Lyon said the mounted patrol responded last year after the brutal July slaying of Katherine Janness and her dog in Piedmont Park.

“We were out here the next day. Piedmont Park is a regular patrol location for the mounted patrol. We’re here sometimes two or three times a week, depends on crime and what’s happening,” Lyon said. “We can cross all kind of terrain, and we can do it fast if need be. Anytime we’re on patrol, we are 10 feet tall. So we’re 10 foot tall police officers. We’re like lifeguards in a chair at a pool.”

Lyon said they also patrol the parking lots near or at the parks.

“When we hit the parking lots where people are parking, when they come to the park, we’re looking for suspicious activity. We’re looking for people pulling on door handles or looking in the windows to see if someone has left something in their vehicle that can be stolen,” Lyon said.''

“I’d like to let people know they can count on us this spring and summer. We’ll be actively patrolling the city’s parks daily, and our biggest thing to them is, don’t be shy approaching us,” Lyon said.
Atlanta police told Winne that the Katherine Janness killing is still an open investigation.''

Thank you, vis12345, for posting the link.

I grabbed a snapshot of the nice plaque that is attached to Katie and Bowie's Memorial Bench.

Screenshot 2022-04-21 8.07.43 PM.png

Piedmont Park Conservancy said the money was all raised by Janness’ family and friends and the bench was installed through the conservancy’s formal commemorative program.

New memorial unveiled in Piedmont Park for woman stabbed more than 50 times

I grabbed a snapshot of the nice plaque that is attached to Katie and Bowie's Memorial Bench.

View attachment 340741

Piedmont Park Conservancy said the money was all raised by Janness’ family and friends and the bench was installed through the conservancy’s formal commemorative program.

Thank you for sharing this picture, it really made me cry. Katie and Bowie deserve justice.

View attachment 340741

Thank you for sharing this picture, it really made me cry. Katie and Bowie deserve justice.

Yes, thank you, DeDee. Kittybunny, it made me cry too.

I so hope they are making progress on whoever committed this crime.

View attachment 340741

Thank you for posting that, DeDee. I'm still so angry and so bewildered that nobody has been charged with this senseless murder yet...

Thank you for posting that, DeDee. I'm still so angry and so bewildered that nobody has been charged with this senseless murder yet...

Your feelings are shared. I find comfort in knowing that the FBI continues to be involved as noted in the link shared. There is a strong possibility that the killer could be prosecuted under FED law as a hate crime. That is so disturbing that someone could lose their life over who they love. And, if Katie knew her killer...

As of January 10, 2022, LEO announced they felt they were close to solving these crimes.
"Law enforcement sources and a former prosecutor say elements of the Katherine Janness murder at Piedmont Park in Midtown suggest there may be "a familiarity" between the victim and the killer."

Piedmont Park murder: 'A familiarity' between victim and killer, investigators say

Possibly of interest:

WSB Cox articles
Machete-wielding felon arrested after swinging knife at neighbors in Piedmont Park
Fri, April 22, 2022, 4:31 PM

Machete-wielding felon arrested after swinging knife at neighbors in Piedmont Park

>>>snip

A machete-wielding felon is facing numerous charges after police say he attempted to stab multiple people at Piedmont Park.

Jimmy Denson, 43, of Forsyth, was arrested Wednesday night and booked on several felony charges, including aggravated assault and possession of knife during commission of a felony...

It was around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday when Atlanta police began receiving reports of a man attacking parkgoers with a machete.

When officers approached Denson, he refused to drop his machete, forcing police to use their Taser on him, investigators said...

...No one was injured, but witnesses told police that they became frightened after they witnessed Denson “slashing” at people with the machete...

...(Previous) arrests range from aggravated assault to forgery...

...State records also revealed that he was released from state prison on April 13, 2021.

(article continues)

<<<snip
BBM

@coastal I remember one time in Miami, I was walking in "Little Haiti" with a gentleman who lived in the area, he was visually impaired, and I told him that we better turn around, because there were two men, shouting at each other, with machetes!!! (I was sure we would see a homicide).

He asked me, "Two men with machetes, or one man with machete?". I told him both guys had machetes. He laughed..."No problem, Mon, one guy with machete is bad, but both with machetes is no problem...".

You learn a lot of interesting information living in Miami.

Sorry, off topic for this thread. But it is interesting in the South...folks doing yard work with a machete is "normal". Not something that you see in the Mountain West. I never even saw a real machete until I moved to Florida.

But, it didn't see like Bowie and Katherine were killed with a machete? Weren't the cuts finer? Like a sword?

thinking its somebody very close to her because fat was carved into her also killibg of the dog seems personal too since people think of pets as children seema as killing the dog along with fat is very personal hope they figure it out

@coastal I remember one time in Miami, I was walking in "Little Haiti" with a gentleman who lived in the area, he was visually impaired, and I told him that we better turn around, because there were two men, shouting at each other, with machetes!!! (I was sure we would see a homicide).

He asked me, "Two men with machetes, or one man with machete?". I told him both guys had machetes. He laughed..."No problem, Mon, one guy with machete is bad, but both with machetes is no problem...".

You learn a lot of interesting information living in Miami.

Sorry, off topic for this thread. But it is interesting in the South...folks doing yard work with a machete is "normal". Not something that you see in the Mountain West. I never even saw a real machete until I moved to Florida.

But, it didn't see like Bowie and Katherine were killed with a machete? Weren't the cuts finer? Like a sword?
I actually thought a knife was used to kill Bowie and KJ, but I don't know for sure what weapon was used. Your point about machetes is a good one. They are pretty common here in San Diego, but I've never seen anyone waving one around threatening people. That's pretty scary! (I watched "Expedition Unknown" last night and saw a toddler running through a Colombian jungle with a machete longer than he was tall!
a064.gif
)

Denson is probably not the murderer of KJ and Bowie, but I'm going to take note of pretty much anyone in Piedmont Park with a sharp blade, just in case. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member