GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, vls12345!
I thought this was recent & knew I had seen man in pic b4. Now IR this crime in 2017.
upload_2022-4-26_23-36-49.png

Yeah he was in prison in 2021... and still is. It appears he will be for a while.
Per Georgia Dept. of Corrections:

INCARCERATION DETAILS
MAJOR OFFENSE: ARMED ROBBERY
MOST RECENT INSTITUTION: WHEELER CORR FACILITY
MAX POSSIBLE RELEASE DATE: 04/10/2032

ACTUAL RELEASE DATE: CURRENTLY SERVING
CURRENT STATUS: ACTIVE

STATE OF GEORGIA - CURRENT SENTENCES
CASE NO: 868645
OFFENSE: POSS KNIFE DURING CRIME
CONVICTION COUNTY: FULTON COUNTY
CRIME COMMIT DATE: 03/29/2017
SENTENCE LENGTH: NOT AVAILABLE

OFFENSE: ARMED ROBBERY
CRIME COMMIT DATE: 03/26/2017
SENTENCE LENGTH: 15 YEARS, 0 MONTHS, 0 DAYS

OFFENSE: AGGRAV ASSAULT

OFFENSE: AGGRAV BATTERY

STATE OF GEORGIA - PRIOR SENTENCES
STATE OF GEORGIA - INCARCERATION HISTORY

INCARCERATION BEGIN: 05/16/2019
INCARCERATION END: ACTIVE

The machete news is surprising and quite scary to hear about.

In my opinion, I do think Katie and Bowie were killed by someone who felt close to them, but probably not someone Katie considered as close to Her.

It is very challenging not to be impatient and wanting some kind of statement or answers to their horrific murders. IMO, the APD are still working on this to the best of their abilities, and want to apprehend the person/s who committed this crime as much as we do.

Killing a dog is something I’d imagine most criminals would not do, and I don’t think a person Katie was close to would do that either, much less hurt her. I sure hope that was not the case because IMO, IF she saw her attacker for even a brief moment and he/she Was someone Katie considered her friend, that would be a heartbreaking image to take with her in her last moments here.

That’s why, in my way of seeing it, the killer is someone who was very jealous and envious of Katie and her many positive relationships, and furious at her happy (as anyone can be - For The Most Part) life. NOT a friend of hers; maybe wishing to be…

I’ve thought about the initials - could the last letter, perhaps Not be a ‘T’? It seems Katie was in decent if not very good shape, so maybe the word was not FAT at all. I still feel the killer is gay and is displeased with that, sadly, for him or her.

The machete news is surprising and quite scary to hear about.

In my opinion, I do think Katie and Bowie were killed by someone who felt close to them, but probably not someone Katie considered as close to Her.

It is very challenging not to be impatient and wanting some kind of statement or answers to their horrific murders. IMO, the APD are still working on this to the best of their abilities, and want to apprehend the person/s who committed this crime as much as we do.

Killing a dog is something I’d imagine most criminals would not do, and I don’t think a person Katie was close to would do that either, much less hurt her. I sure hope that was not the case because IMO, IF she saw her attacker for even a brief moment and he/she Was someone Katie considered her friend, that would be a heartbreaking image to take with her in her last moments here.

That’s why, in my way of seeing it, the killer is someone who was very jealous and envious of Katie and her many positive relationships, and furious at her happy (as anyone can be - For The Most Part) life. NOT a friend of hers; maybe wishing to be…

I’ve thought about the initials - could the last letter, perhaps Not be a ‘T’? It seems Katie was in decent if not very good shape, so maybe the word was not FAT at all. I still feel the killer is gay and is displeased with that, sadly, for him or her.
Alot of previous discussions on prior threads re. the 3 letters, possible meanings, etc. The part that is perplexing to me is the placement of the letters which could mean nothing, but the 'F' and 'A' are on KJ's right side of torso, there is a larger spacing between the 'A' and 'T' than the 'F' and 'A'.
The 'T' is on KJ's left side of torso.
The horizontal line in the 'A' is a fairly deep stab wound.
While the rest of the letters are cuts.
The horizontal line in the 'T' is longer than the verticle line & sort of trails off to KJ's left side.
The verticle line of the 'T' is actually 2 parallel verticle lines.
IMO this makes the 'T' look like a pi symbol.

If the letter T resembles the Greek symbol for pi, does that mean our killer is educated?

F A π

F A π
Forever and Always - Pi (urban def:) Probably the biggest chick magnet ever

Since Katie was alive when the letters were being cut, according to Scott Morgan, maybe the killer was speaking to her about the meaning of the letters being carved.

Katie was wearing what appears to me as being a black, long style, short sleeved Tshirt. I wonder if the killer raised her shirt to access her torso or if the fabric was cut in order to expose the torso.

If the letter T resembles the Greek symbol for pi, does that mean our killer is educated?

F A π

F A π
Forever and Always - Pi (urban def:) Probably the biggest chick magnet ever

Since Katie was alive when the letters were being cut, according to Scott Morgan, maybe the killer was speaking to her about the meaning of the letters being carved.

Katie was wearing what appears to me as being a black, long style, short sleeved Tshirt. I wonder if the killer raised her shirt to access her torso or if the fabric was cut in order to expose the torso.
Very interesting re urban dict definition. Had not seen that b4.
The autopsy report indicates that KJ's black tshirt was pulled down, not up. The report also indicates stab wounds match tears in shirt.
This description makes me wonder if the collar of the shirt was pulled down from the shoulders on both sides to restrict the arms from movement. JMO though.

F A π

F A π
Forever and Always - Pi (urban def) Probably the biggest chick magnet ever

Quoting my post to correct by removing the smiley out of it as it was not intended to be there.

Also, the π is on the left side with the FA being on her right side. After a review of the AR, how the Investigators came up with the word "FAT" is not understood by me at this time.

From page 5 of the AR:
"On the left side of the lower chest is an incised injury composed of incised wounds forming “T".
"An 8-1/2 x 6” area of intersecting incised wounds on the middle and right side of the lower chest/upper abdomen forms “FA”.

These incised wounds are just under her breasts. Looks like:

π F A

Probably the biggest chick magnet ever Forever and Always (urban dictionary)

Merely a guess at the meaning
This possible meaning, indicates someone who loved her but was, oh, so very angry with her.

Piedmont Park murder: Autopsy report reveals new details in Katie Janness' death

Alot of previous discussions on prior threads re. the 3 letters, possible meanings, etc. The part that is perplexing to me is the placement of the letters which could mean nothing, but the 'F' and 'A' are on KJ's right side of torso, there is a larger spacing between the 'A' and 'T' than the 'F' and 'A'.
The 'T' is on KJ's left side of torso.
The horizontal line in the 'A' is a fairly deep stab wound.
While the rest of the letters are cuts.
The horizontal line in the 'T' is longer than the verticle line & sort of trails off to KJ's left side.
The verticle line of the 'T' is actually 2 parallel verticle lines.
IMO this makes the 'T' look like a pi symbol.

So very wise of you, AtlantaBourne, to recognize the description as being the Pi symbol.

"On the left side of the lower chest is an incised injury composed of incised wounds forming “T”. This injury has a 4-5/8” horizontal component and a 4” vertical component. The inferior portion of the vertical component is composed of two parallel incisions"

Yes, the Pi symbol is on the left side and the FA is on the right side. How does that mean "FAT"? Both vertical cuts on the A are:

"Except for the horizontal component of “A”, the wounds are less than 1/16” to 3/16” in depth. Forming the horizontal section of “A” in this injury complex is a 3-3/4 x 5/8” incision that is 1-1/8” in depth."

The cuts or incisions forming the letters appear as tho they may have been done in a slow, methodical, tortuous manner, then when the horizontal line is formed, it is a puncture an inch deeper. We know the victim was alive at this point but incapacitated in some way.

Any opinion on whether Katie was attacked from behind first? I'm going to study the back injuries now.

Last edited:
@DeDee I can't take credit for recognizing the pi symbol as I believe a fellow WS'r posted this in an earlier thread.
I do believe KJ was 1st attacked from behind due to stab wounds on upper back.
I speculate the killer used the collar of her tshirt to restrain her arms at the waist & the belt, found to be still in belt loops of the jeans pulled down to the knees, to restrict movement of her legs.
IMO this would have created a lasso style of restricted movement. I wonder what type of person would know to do this. I believe a person would have to be incredibly strong to incapacitate someone this way.

JMOO

@DeDee I can't take credit for recognizing the pi symbol as I believe a fellow WS'r posted this in an earlier thread.
I do believe KJ was 1st attacked from behind due to stab wounds on upper back.
I speculate the killer used the collar of her tshirt to restrain her arms at the waist & the belt, found to be still in belt loops of the jeans pulled down to the knees, to restrict movement of her legs.
IMO this would have created a lasso style of restricted movement. I wonder what type of person would know to do this. I believe a person would have to be incredibly strong to incapacitate someone this way.

JMOO
Pulling a jersey over the head or down around the arms common hockey move, imo. fwiw.

(18) Behn Wilson vs Wendel Clark Feb 1, 1986 - YouTube

» It Made Sense at the Time: The Art of Jerseying (grantland.com)
''Have you ever been in a fight with a Canadian? Probably not, since we’re generally a friendly and non-threatening bunch. But there are certain lines that you just cannot cross, like disparaging socialized medicine or saying you thought Shawn Michaels was better than Bret Hart, and crossing those lines can lead to the nearest Canadian setting aside the Margaret Atwood novel they’ve been pretending to read and throwing down.

And when that happens, you’ll notice that while fighting a Canadian is a lot like fighting anyone else, there are certain key differences. We apologize after every punch. We pause every few seconds to take a sip of our double-double. And, at some point in the fight, we are going to try to yank your shirt up over your head.

That last one may seem a little odd, but don’t worry; we’re just instinctively reverting to what we grew up with. That’s because every Canadian is raised on a steady diet of watching hockey, and for several decades, that shirt-yank move was standard operating procedure in any hockey fight. It even had a name: “jersey,” used as a verb. As in “I was losing the fight, but then I jerseyed him and went to town.”
rbbm.

Odds are against this having anything to do with KJ’s murder, but the guy was in possession of two hatchets and a meat cleaver - and was riding a bike. Ansley Mall is just north of the park (straight up the belt line trail).

I’m sure APD is checking it out

I might be proven wrong... but I just don't get the feeling Katie's killer is this unsubtle. IMO, he wasn't stalking down a busy thoroughfare wielding a butcher knife like Jason, or this guy in the article. If he were, he would have had to have been the luckiest guy on the planet, not to have been seen or captured on any surveillance video. Unfortunately, I feel he is a lot more sinister, and devious.

Does APD still have a gang graffiti officer? They did a while ago. That distinctive T/pi may be part of someone's tag. However, by now anyone willing to talk about tags or being in PP or seeing anything unusual that night has already been given some financial or legal incentive to chat. Maybe LE got useful info regarding that.

Could KJ have had a habit of entering the park through that gate for a logical purpose? Some people lift their dogs up to get a drink from park drinking fountains (which really upsets some folks). Maybe there's a water fountain right there she could have used to give Bowie a drink? Then it would have been easy for the killer to overcome both of them at once from behind if K was holding B up to the fountain with two hands.

No doubt many of us think about these poor souls daily. Respectfully, there could be something or someone LE has missed, hiding in plain sight.

Last edited:
After all this time has passed (10 months), I fear the odds are that Katie's murder will never be solved.
I have belief that the APD will find him/her/them. It’s just my feeling. As PrairieWind mentioned, they have a LOT of crime to deal with. Jbetty567, I do agree that the killer/s is not a sloppy or haphazard individual (IMO). I’ve written my thoughts on what he/she is about.

The “freedom to be unkind and heartless” espoused, and exhibited by many of our politicians and leaders, as well as the restrictions and real lifestyle changes Covid has imposed on all of us, has made Many restless, impatient and selfish. It would be a surprise if crime hasn’t increased.

Atlantabourne and dtr mentioned the way Katie could have been incapacitated, an interesting thought. And Periwinkl3 brought up getting a drink for Bowie at the fountain, another possibility. IMO, Katie was simply out to walk Bowie and cool off before heading home to spend her very late evening with Emma before flying out to visit her mom, sister and friends on Thursday. No secret meet-ups, no purchases of any kind. My big thought is the timing-being attacked and killed the very day before she was to fly home. In my opinion, the killer knew that, and didn’t want to lose his/her opportunity to hurt Katie in case (for whatever reason the killer believed that Katie might not return). Or he/she had finally managed to get his/her courage up and the plan in place. Although, the murder does appear as if it were done by someone who had the confidence to maim and murder-not necessarily confidence of personality; (I’ve mentioned that previously). I do not feel that it was random, sadly.

I also appreciate those who keep
Katie and Bowie in their hearts; I do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx