GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moo..to the left in the pics showing park entrance there is a ridge. It would be a good look out spot to survey who is in park but not sure if they could see road (Piedmont and 10th ave). Much better visuals up high and more difficult for anyone at lower level to notice someone up there....moo

I believe the blurry squares that one may see in the pic of the 3 witnesses are the metal signs mounted to the gate. IMO there are 4 signs, 3 small & 1 larger. 1 sign on the left looks red IMO because the traffic signals are reflecting off of it.
The ridge, or slope is sort of a knoll & there are several trees in this area. I don't believe you can see all the way up 10th to Piedmont from this area but you can see alot of this side of the park & 10th & would have cover to be inconspicuous.

IMO.

In the "Witnesses--Quad" image, when looking deep into the driveway to the park, there is a blurred square in the center (basically center top of image). Do you think this is just some optical thing related to the camera or was this square purposefully blurred later by LE?

ETA 'Just please don't tell me I'm the only one seeing this blurred square! ;)
If you are talking about the dark square, it's the street sign hanging on the wires w/the traffic lights. It's actually very close to the camera.

I believe the blurry squares that one may see in the pic of the 3 witnesses are the metal signs mounted to the gate. IMO there are 4 signs, 3 small & 1 larger. 1 sign on the left looks red IMO because the traffic signals are reflecting off of it.
The ridge, or slope is sort of a knoll & there are several trees in this area. I don't believe you can see all the way up 10th to Piedmont from this area but you can see alot of this side of the park & 10th & would have cover to be inconspicuous.

IMO.

Ahh... yes! What I'm seeing must be one of the metal signs mounted to the gate, its just tough to see the gate unless I look at the other (runner) image. Thank you!

In the "Witnesses--Quad" image, when looking deep into the driveway to the park, there is a blurred square in the center (basically center top of image). Do you think this is just some optical thing related to the camera or was this square purposefully blurred later by LE?

ETA 'Just please don't tell me I'm the only one seeing this blurred square! ;)
I see what you are talking about. Could be a blurred block, hard to tell. But remember, from the time on that photo, Katie and Bowie haven't even gotten to the Rainbow crosswalk yet.

I see what you are talking about. Could be a blurred block, hard to tell. But remember, from the time on that photo, Katie and Bowie haven't even gotten to the Rainbow crosswalk yet.
It's the metal '10 St' sign hanging on the wire that holds the traffic lights. It's very close to the camera, same height. Look a little to the left & you can see the traffic signal from the side. Sort of an optical illusion. Wish I knew how to draw on these photos so I could highlight what the camera is getting that's not in the park. It's like where's Waldo...lol.

I did notice in the video at 5-6 seconds jogger's shadow casts across the 2 signs mounted to the gate. Could a vehicle have been sitting at the light on CA waiting to turn onto 10th? The headlights causing the shadows? Just speculation but if there was a vehicle there I hope LE was able to track it down.
I am feeling positive about this camera capturing something. LE is not able to compromise the investigation by releasing info.
IMO.

Wow, I had never noticed the shadows there, but it does look like the shadow of the jogger on the sign could be cast by headlights—eery. CA is a very small road that dead ends at the park, so I don’t think it ever has a ton of traffic. I don’t know for sure, but there’s a chance that the light is not on a timer but instead triggered to change by a sensor on CA. The video clip starts when the light on 10th changes from green to yellow, which could indicate that a car just pulled up on CA and tripped the light. Perhaps the video clip ends where it does because the car is about to pull into frame. MOO. It’s possible that there was no car there at the time, and it’s also possible that there was a car turning from CA into 10th but it could be totally unrelated to what happened to KJ and Bowie.

Wow, I had never noticed the shadows there, but it does look like the shadow of the jogger on the sign could be cast by headlights—eery. CA is a very small road that dead ends at the park, so I don’t think it ever has a ton of traffic. I don’t know for sure, but there’s a chance that the light is not on a timer but instead triggered to change by a sensor on CA. The video clip starts when the light on 10th changes from green to yellow, which could indicate that a car just pulled up on CA and tripped the light. Perhaps the video clip ends where it does because the car is about to pull into frame. MOO. It’s possible that there was no car there at the time, and it’s also possible that there was a car turning from CA into 10th but it could be totally unrelated to what happened to KJ and Bowie.
Charles Allen is a fairly busy road, at least it was when I lived in the area many years ago. I would not be surprised to see traffic on it at that time of the day.

Welcome to WS Cabritaloha.
IMO any car at CA traffic light would have headlights shining into PP. So I believe that should be another potential witness for LE. I hope LE was able to interview anyone that might have been there. Especially at 12:46 am.
Eery, definitely a good way to describe the shadows.
JMO.

Justice for Katie and Bowie!
No one deserves to die like they did.
This crime is hideous.
HIDEOUS.
The area of CA Gate at 10th is one of the most heavily traversed (via foot and car) areas of Atlanta.
Someone saw and/or heard something.
Someone KNOWS something.
I pray this case is being quietly worked by investigators and a break is coming soon.

Justice for Katie and Bowie!
No one deserves to die like they did.
This crime is hideous.
HIDEOUS.
The area of CA Gate at 10th is one of the most heavily traversed (via foot and car) areas of Atlanta.
Someone saw and/or heard something.
Someone KNOWS something.
I pray this case is being quietly worked by investigators and a break is coming soon.
This thread is certainly slowing down. It is sad and strange to me that nothing has developed yet.

This thread is certainly slowing down. It is sad and strange to me that nothing has developed yet.

It’s hard, I believe, to continue discussing the cameras, PrairieWind, because most everyone agrees that in such a busy, well-traversed park it should have long ago been a priority to have and vigilantly maintain a viable recording system throughout.

But, in so many of the points brought up by logical thinkers here, it seems (IMO) that the huge amount of violence with which he/she so coldly and specifically and repeatedly struck Katie and Bowie, mere feet away from a busy ‘roadway’ and path, would not have been any less horrific had the cameras been fully functioning. HE/SHE just didn’t care because of the raging hatred (of him/herself being a self-loathing gay person, and/or one who despised gay persons, or an unbalanced individual who had an unrelenting fervor to kill any woman) that HAD to be acted upon at that time. I believe one or more people DID pass by where he/she was murdering Katie but he/she didn’t bat an eye. The killer had a job to do. Period (in his/her eyes).

So yes, where are these people???? The $20, 000 is still waiting for a coworker, relative or a casual acquaintance to listen to their conscience and report what they know. I wish the same for any witnesses who may be on the fence. Doing right is often challenging, but it’s the mark of a strong, caring person.

If the killer is weary and wants to come forth to explain his or her reasons, I hope he/she knows that there are detectives waiting for him/her. The family (IMO) is waiting. They want to understand.

The other side is, we most of us hope, that the police DO know what happened and are just tying up loose ends to enable them to present an airtight case in court. I agree we all need to hear something from them because it’s been way too long, but perhaps this is the price we pay for a solid guilty verdict.

This has definitely been a never-ending period of daily anguish and tears for those who loved and love Katie and Bowie still (IMO). She had more life to live and so much more to learn, share and laugh about.

Last edited:
Just finished reading the autopsy report. What he did took time and lots of effort. How dark would it have been where KJ was found? I ask because it seems like some of his work required light - or knowledge of the victim. It looks like he paid extra attention to her tattoo, as if trying to destroy it. Did he know it was there, or did he come upon it (requiring a decent amount of light) mid attack?

Just finished reading the autopsy report. What he did took time and lots of effort. How dark would it have been where KJ was found? I ask because it seems like some of his work required light - or knowledge of the victim. It looks like he paid extra attention to her tattoo, as if trying to destroy it. Did he know it was there, or did he come upon it (requiring a decent amount of light) mid attack?
I have wondered about how much light there would be there as well. Its hard to say since we don't know exactly where the attack occurred.

I agree on both points. Every time I go on Twitter or check here, I expect to see an update, some glimmer of hope, and I cannot believe it's been 9 months and nothing. And I wonder why her family and friends and community aren't raising more of a stink, why they're not out there demanding answers, doing what they have to do... although someone on Twitter suggested that maybe the police have asked them not to? But that's pretty risky, too -- this case could grow way too cold. It's just sickening that this happened and nobody has been arrested. This isn't a run-of-the-mill murder!

(by run-of-the-mill, I mean it wasn't a drive-by, it wasn't an accident, and it has not been presented as a DV case, and nobody has made a solid case for it being some kind of retaliation murder)

I’m not at all sure this is the right way to go. Katie’s family and also Emma (IMO) are definitely still grieving. I’m sure they are able to contact specific detectives from the APD whenever they have questions or suggestions to offer. Would being upset and demanding and getting in the detectives’ and officers’ faces honestly do any good??? I believe, BGGS, that that kind of behavior would be more of an insult to the work ethic of the police department’s hard working men and women than a positive motivator. I ask this with interest and respect, what do you think Katie’s friends, relatives, Emma and Katie’s mother should do? I’m just speculating, but they probably know no more than the public does and hope and believe the officers and FBI are doing all they can. They have other cases. And although this was an extremely violent and unusual murder of a woman who seems to have been very much loved, other cases on which the APD are also working to find answers, (IMO) are for victims who are just as important to their families and friends. And it is my opinion that Katie would support all of their investigations.

Yes, we’re all weary of waiting, but what can we, people who care, and her family members do to help? In my opinion, I think that the APD would have asked a family member such as her mother, or a close friend from her hometown to make a plea on tv or on another platform if it was believed by them that it would make a difference. Again, just my thoughts. And I truly hope that an officer has been assigned to read these postings because there are truly MANY insightful, thought-out, creative out-of-the-box ideas that are worth their time to seriously consider.

Last edited:
What I have noticed lately with other cases on WS, is that LEO is being very closed with information about cases being released to general public, until grand jury has completed their findings.

We may not know what LEO has, or is investigating until charges come out. I don't believe that this is a "cold case". I think that LEO may have a lot more information than has been released, and they are being very methodical with the investigation. We may be surprised.

At least, I hope so. Because having someone out in the community who is capable of this type of violence is chilling.

What I have noticed lately with other cases on WS, is that LEO is being very closed with information about cases being released to general public, until grand jury has completed their findings.

We may not know what LEO has, or is investigating until charges come out. I don't believe that this is a "cold case". I think that LEO may have a lot more information than has been released, and they are being very methodical with the investigation. We may be surprised.

At least, I hope so. Because having someone out in the community who is capable of this type of violence is chilling.
ITA, we have no idea what LE knows and what they're working on. It's frustrating, but not uncommon in these types of cases.

Peace to all the family and loved ones during this time.

I’m not at all sure this is the right way to go. Katie’s family and also Emma (IMO) are definitely still grieving. I’m sure they are able to contact specific detectives from the APD whenever they have questions or suggestions to offer. Would being upset and demanding and getting in the detectives’ and officers’ faces honestly do any good??? I believe, BGGS, that that kind of behavior would be more of an insult to the work ethic of the police department’s hard working men and women than a positive motivator. I ask this with interest and respect, what do you think Katie’s friends, relatives, Emma and Katie’s mother should do? <snip>

I did say they might have been asked by the police not to do this, but I feel like the general public has forgotten about this case, and as such, it's more likely to pushed down the priority list. Higher profile cases will get more attention. If there were friends/members of the community out there protesting (e.g. lack of safety in the park), holding gatherings, contacting the media, asking questions, etc., the story could reach more people and it could jog somebody's memory. We rehash the details of this case over and over in this forum, but I'm willing to bet most people in Atlanta have forgotten about it or have only a vague recollection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member