GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll answer with my opinions:
1. Yes, definitely.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. One thing I struggle with on this case is that my gut has one theory, but my brain disagrees. Gut says killer was well-known to Katie and planned/fantasized for months about destroying her—possibly someone from Midtown obsessed with EC, or a disgruntled coworker— someone who knew her and E’s schedules. Brain says unknown assailant who will kill again unless already in custody or deceased.
I agree with your answers as well. My gut tells me it’s someone deeply rooted in the midtown LGBTQ community, who had an obsession with her or EC. I think they were simply eliminating her. However what doesn’t make sense is if their goal was to eliminate her, then what was next?

Surely one of the girls would have known if someone has been creepin on them for awhile. You get a vibe if someone likes you….or your partner. But maybe not. I do think this person is known to them, like they are also in the bar scene. The bar scene in midtown is large, however everyone knows everyone or by some chain of events. If you don’t know them, you know of them.

A few thoughts...

~Morse Diggs (see Fox 5 link up-thread) has sported a fedora and trench in his numerous roles reporting crime in the ATL (AJC, City Hall, Fox 5) for decades. So any implication that he's sensationalizing in his reporting of this case, respective to what he's wearing, is off-the-mark. He's not only highly-lauded, routinely-awarded, carries a gravitas locally but I would also wager that whomever he's interviewing and whatever angle he's bringing is likely valid and on track as his connections with APD/Metro ATL LE run long and deep.

~ Blanket statements such as LE does this/that in their SOP can't possibly be true across the board. There's great variability from district to district. Some announce suspects clearance early-on some do not until a suspect(s) has been arrested. Even the ATL PDs SOP re that varies between police chief to police chief. In 2021 ATL PD was significantly understaffed--had two different police chiefs and as of today is likely headed for a new Police Chief, depending on what our new Mayor Dickins decides. All this plays into staffing and the efficacy of detectives in solving a case.

IMO

from personal knowledge, I have a different opinion of Morse Diggs. He has jumped the gun reporting stories in the past. He comes off as one of those that will almost do anything to get a story. I recall an incident where he was standing on a trash can outside of APD headquarters trying to peek over the fence to hear and see a perp that was being brought into the station. Well, he ended up falling in the trash can. If he had deep connections within the police department, he would not have needed to do that. And, he probably would’ve been able to get an interview with Velasquez instead of former prosecutor, Ash Joshi. Mr. Joshi worked for Fulton county years ago and also received a reprimand from the Georgia Supreme Court.
Playing both sides: Secret recording exposes questionable courtroom deal

When I see stories from Mr. Diggs, I always take them with a grain of salt.
Also, the new mayor has decided to keep the current police chief and give him a chance.

Last edited:
from personal knowledge, I have a different opinion of Morse Diggs. He has jumped the gun reporting stories in the past. He comes off as one of those that will almost do anything to get a story. I recall an incident where he was standing on a trash can outside of APD headquarters trying to peek over the fence to hear and see a perp that was being brought into the station. Well, he ended up falling in the trash can. If he had deep connections within the police department, he would not have needed to do that. And, he probably would’ve been able to get an interview with Velasquez instead of former prosecutor, Ash Joshi. Mr. Joshi worked for Fulton county years ago and also received a reprimand from the Georgia Supreme Court.

Also, the new mayor has decided to keep the current police chief and give him a chance.
I think we'd be hard-pressed to find many msm reporters in a market the size of Atlanta who wouldn't do just about anything for a story and for that reason, I habitually take all msm reporting with a grain of salt. That said, I think Morse Diggs has access to sources that only time in a city and with that, helpful, established connections can bring.
As to Chief Bryant's position under the Dickens admin--I think of course in this early transition period he has a position. Beyond that? I wouldn't be too sure. The Buckhead City Prospect is now dead in the water so if crime stats don't come down significantly in the short term then no ... no I don't think he'll be in that position v much longer. I think those voters in Buckhead who were pushing to secede will press for new leadership.
All moo.

Last edited:
I agree!
No theatrics. It’s 30 degrees out, and Morse Diggs is wearing a hat and a winter coat!
He is a respected reporter. lets don’t stir up trouble where there isn’t any.

The Atlanta Homicide department is nicknamed "The Hat Squad". Perhaps Morse Diggs has adopted that style of dress because he does a lot of reporting on the "crime beat".

The hat squad - (www.ajc.com/lifestyles/fashion--style/the-hat-squad/Pm9LZGCOD2b9A27nCTW7tJ/)

The First 48: Atlanta Homicide - The Hat Squad (Season 14) | A&E

posted - Jun 10, 2015 by A&E

The Atlanta Homicide department is nicknamed "The Hat Squad". Perhaps Morse Diggs has adopted that style of dress because he does a lot of reporting on the "crime beat".

The hat squad - (www.ajc.com/lifestyles/fashion--style/the-hat-squad/Pm9LZGCOD2b9A27nCTW7tJ/)

Thank you for sharing this. The hat squad--such an interesting fact.

It's also really cool to get a feel for the dept. I've only caught glimpses of them in news clips here and there and have wondered how they keep it together and get the job done so effectively with all they see on the daily.

Thank you so much for sharing this. This is what I was referring to when I commented about the theatrics in this news report: Evidence indicates Piedmont Park murderer may have been familiar with victim, dog. I had seen The First 48 on how a detective gets a fedora before and made the connection with Morris Diggs and his news report. Never did I once say anything derogatory about Morris Diggs. Some people just assumed. Another MSM report I was referring to as being dramatic theaters was this report by CBS46:

EXCLUSIVE: Partner of woman found slain in Piedmont Park pleads for APD to clear her name

IMO these 2 news reports both have theatrical elements. I found both news reports interesting and informative; however, MSM television news reporters are tasked with finding and delivering news and some do so using theatrics to entertain their viewer.

All JMO

I’m behind, so please forgive me if this has been covered. I know there was some speculation that perhaps the killer was motivated by some perceived slight by KJ. Has there been any discussion about the killer being motivated by a desire to be with KJ’s girlfriend?

The jogger and those 41 seconds...

EC and the guy who came upon the crime scene while she was on the 911 call, both saw KJ's body. EC said she could see Bowie only 50 feet from the gate.

The jogger had on a headlamp, entered the gate, and stayed within there for what...maybe 20-30 seconds? He would have seen Bowie right away, just like EC did, right?

So he went in there why? To go to the bathroom (except the exeloo was closed at 11?), throw something away, buy and chug a water at the vending machine beside the bathroom? Did he see Bowie and check on him?

If you saw something you were concerned enough about to leave the park again, would you then continue jogging, by yourself, on another trail within the same park (Beltline)?

I just don't know what to make of it. It seems impossible that the murders hadn't happened yet when the jogger went in, but I have to wonder. If he'd seen anything pertinent, would LE announce they had talked to him and he was cooperating, etc?

EC and the guy who came upon the crime scene while she was on the 911 call, both saw KJ's body. EC said she could see Bowie only 50 feet from the gate.

The jogger had on a headlamp, entered the gate, and stayed within there for what...maybe 20-30 seconds? He would have seen Bowie right away, just like EC did, right?

So he went in there why? To go to the bathroom (except the exeloo was closed at 11?), throw something away, buy and chug a water at the vending machine beside the bathroom? Did he see Bowie and check on him?

If you saw something you were concerned enough about to leave the park again, would you then continue jogging, by yourself, on another trail within the same park (Beltline)?

I just don't know what to make of it. It seems impossible that the murders hadn't happened yet when the jogger went in, but I have to wonder. If he'd seen anything pertinent, would LE announce they had talked to him and he was cooperating, etc?
My speculation on this is the jogger definitely ran in the entrance for a reason. Either RR break, get a drink from the vending machine located at the RR bldg or jog thru the meadows towards Monroe Dr & the beltline. IMO, If he was headed to RR bldg, he would have been focused in on that. I just think something or someone caused him to turn around. Bathrooms were locked? Vending machine broken? Someone started yelling at him to 'go away' ?? But IMO, whatever happened did NOT cause him to call LE or make him flee in a rush.
LE released more photos of him, 2 sets of photos released at 2 different times unlike the other potential witnesses. He didn't come forward to LE iirc until the 2nd set of photos were released.
So, it wasn't like he chkd the news the next day to see if 'something' happened at the park.
JMOO.

Speculation:

-Did jogger deliver fatal blows?
-Did jogger meet perp and get rid of weapon?
-Had jogger already killed KJ & Bowie, changed/got rid of clothes, and was going back to see his handiwork?

Cooperating makes it seem as if he DID in fact have information that was helpful to LE. IMO

I’m behind, so please forgive me if this has been covered. I know there was some speculation that perhaps the killer was motivated by some perceived slight by KJ. Has there been any discussion about the killer being motivated by a desire to be with KJ’s girlfriend?
It’s been mentioned only briefly here when discussing possible motives. Nothing in the news as far as I know.

The case for a random, for me, is that there is a insult against women tagged on the electrical box at the crime scene with a double line T.

The perp incised the letters F A T, with a double line T, which could be read as a word that is an insult for women.

Would a perp have stuck around to tag the box after?

Upside down no less?

So was the tag there prior?

Maybe KJ was in the wrong place at the wrong time or was spontaneously lured when spotted if the perp wanted a woman victim in that tagged spot.

KJ fit neither of the insults, imo, except as a representative of a woman.

No one has mentioned seeing the double line T tag elsewhere in the area so must not be a regular old street tagger.

Haven’t looked at this too good but with the ATL lots of T out there but not one yet with a double line or insults:

Atlanta Graffiti

all imo

The case for a random, for me, is that there is a insult against women tagged on the electrical box at the crime scene with a double line T.

The perp incised the letters F A T, with a double line T, which could be read as a word that is an insult for women.

Upside down no less?

Maybe KJ was in the wrong place at the wrong time or was spontaneously lured when spotted if the perp wanted a woman victim in that tagged spot.

No one has mentioned seeing the double line T tag elsewhere in the area so must not be a regular old street tagger.

Haven’t looked at this too good but with the ATL lots of T out there but not one yet with a double line or insults:

Atlanta Graffiti

all imo

Maybe the double lines indicate double T... as in FATT? Not that I know what that means, though.

Diggs was the first reporter to interview Velasquez a month after the murder.
Some Midtown residents frustrated by lack of progress in Piedmont Park murder investigation

Upside down no less?

Atlanta Graffiti

all imo
This SL#! word on the silver box outside the 10th & CA entrance was discussed in Thread 2. I posted a pic but don't have it anymore. Also keep in mind, according to the autopsy report, the T in the word FAT had a double verticle incision & the 1st video of the murders from 11alive news showed 2 K-9's hit on the silver box.
I drive past this 3-4 days a week for a yr now & have had to stop at that light. Never noticed the tag until after the murders.
JMOO.

Speculation:

-Did jogger deliver fatal blows?
-Did jogger meet perp and get rid of weapon?
-Had jogger already killed KJ & Bowie, changed/got rid of clothes, and was going back to see his handiwork?
SBM
I don't think the timeline fits here. The jogger ran in at 12:46 then back out at 12:46 in 41 seconds according to the time stamp. So, 20 in 21 out. That includes the couple seconds it took to actually run thru the gate/entrance. KJ & Bowie were about 11-18 minutes away from 10th & CA at 12:09. That would give the jogger 19-26 minutes to commit the murders, clean up, go back up to 10th thru the park, then jog back down.

Somehow my post attached to your quote. Apologies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member