GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy with the cane is seen leaving the park via the 12th st gate at 12:25. That is about the earliest time that Katie could have been entering the park (obviously by another entrance since she is not seen on the 12th street video camera). So I don't think he is at all involved other than the police want to talk to him about any other people he saw in the park before he left. But the hoodie guy......
LE really needs to do an update on these possible witnesses.People don't know which have come forward and some are still confused about if there are 2 joggers or not.

From where Katie's body was found, it is just over 600 meters to the 12th street gate. And that path goes right by the lake that the police were definitely interested in searching. So there must be some indication that after the attack, the killer moved in the direction toward that lake (which is also in the direction of the 12st gate.). I have speculated that the attack occurred between 12:30 and 12:40. If it occurred at 12:35, the killer could have fled past the lake and exited at the 12st gate (unlike 10th street where the park is just open to the sidewalk, 12th street has a hedge and fence, so someone would like use the actual gate to enter/exit). At a fast walk or jog, the killer could have left the seen of the crime and been at the 12th street gate at 12:43. Who is the man in the hoodie?

From where Katie's body was found, it is just over 600 meters to the 12th street gate. And that path goes right by the lake that the police were definitely interested in searching. So there must be some indication that after the attack, the killer moved in the direction toward that lake (which is also in the direction of the 12st gate.). I have speculated that the attack occurred between 12:30 and 12:40. If it occurred at 12:35, the killer could have fled past the lake and exited at the 12st gate (unlike 10th street where the park is just open to the sidewalk, 12th street has a hedge and fence, so someone would like use the actual gate to enter/exit). At a fast walk or jog, the killer could have left the seen of the crime and been at the 12th street gate at 12:43. Who is the man in the hoodie?
Yes, and we almost need to think in opposites regarding possible exit routes, imo. We've talked a lot about where Katie might have chosen to walk: good lighting, lots of people, public entrances, etc. The killer likely chose the darkest, most secluded and unsecured route out.

Last edited:
@TL45

Yes!

The park perimeter is totally porous.
1,000 different ways to exit that are
out of camera view.

An array of non-violent criminal activity
happening in PP in the later hours;
It's a widely-known
pay-per-hookup/drug activity zone.

There are myriad reasons a person would not want to come forward that have nothing to do with violent/this crime.

Does anyone know or did Emma potentially state if Katie often walked at this time of night? Just wondering if she was targeted potentially, but my instinct tells me she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time

LE really needs to do an update on these possible witnesses.People don't know which have come forward and some are still confused about if there are 2 joggers or not.
Yes, i agree.
They need to update the public re witnesses and the state of the investigation. I also think they should remind the public to continue taking safety precautions if they have reason to believe the killer is still a danger.

Does anyone know or did Emma potentially state if Katie often walked at this time of night? Just wondering if she was targeted potentially, but my instinct tells me she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time
As far as i have seen Emma has not said.
Katie was a bartender at Campangolo as well as the bar manager for Whole World Theater so probably did not have a lot of nights off. But she may have finished work by midnight and walked the dog then. What time does the bar at Camp shut down?

Last edited:
From where Katie's body was found, it is just over 600 meters to the 12th street gate. And that path goes right by the lake that the police were definitely interested in searching. So there must be some indication that after the attack, the killer moved in the direction toward that lake (which is also in the direction of the 12st gate.). I have speculated that the attack occurred between 12:30 and 12:40. If it occurred at 12:35, the killer could have fled passed the lake and exited at the 12st gate (unlike 10th street where the park is just open to the sidewalk, 12th street has a hedge and fence, so someone would like use the actual gate to enter/exit). At a fast walk or jog, the killer could have left the seen of the crime and been at the 12th street gate at 12:43. Who is the man in the hoodie?
I believe Emma indicated it was common for Katie to walk Bowie late at night. She was also a server and would work evenings. When she got off work she would walk the dog. But it doesn't sound like Katie had a set route she took all the time.

Maybe they have footage or photos (unreleased) of hoodie guy entering the park well before midnight, so LE assumes he may have saw the killer somewhere in the park, or noticed something out of the ordinary? IMO.

I doubt an autopsy will narrow time of death. The best time of death estimate will likely be garnered from cell phone data.

Possibly true, however, I believe the autopsies along with the crime scene will determine whether Katie or Bowie was attacked first, and potentially a glimpse at the motivations behind this heinous action. Did they happen upon a drug deal? Was Bowie the killers target and Katie came to his aid? I think the FBI owes the good people of Atlanta a bit more information at this point.

Possibly true, however, I believe the autopsies along with the crime scene will determine whether Katie or Bowie was attacked first, and potentially a glimpse at the motivations behind this heinous action. Did they happen upon a drug deal? Was Bowie the killers target and Katie came to his aid? I think the FBI owes the good people of Atlanta a bit more information at this point.
Oh I totally agree that the autopsies will provide valuable information. How was it possible to attack and kill a grown woman and a pitbull at the same time. I bet the autopsy will likely provide a good idea of how it was accomplished. There could be evidence of a taser use, or blunt force injury before the knife attack.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Early on in the investigation when she was saying this monster must be caught, serial killer rumors aren’t helpful, etc. <modsnip> The park isn’t safe unless there is evidence Katie was targeted and not a victim of a crime of opportunity

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy with the cane is seen leaving the park via the 12th st gate at 12:25. That is about the earliest time that Katie could have been entering the park (obviously by another entrance since she is not seen on the 12th street video camera)...

Katie was seen walking north on Piedmont and 10th Street on the rainbow crosswalk at 12:07 AM or 12:08 AM. She could have arrived at the 12th Street entrance within 10 minutes at 12:18 AM.

The police did not release all of the surveillance photos. They only released the images they wanted the public to see. For instance, they didn't release any photos of Emma arriving at the Charles Allen Drive entrance where surveillance photos show witnesses leaving the park.

MOO

Last edited:
Assuming the time stamps on the footage is correct. The red stain on shirt bothers me. Hoodie guy fits the timeline we know so far perfectly.

I don't think those timestamps are accurate. They could be off by an hour if the surveillance system wasn't adjusted for daylight savings time.

MOO

Last edited:
I don't think those timestamps are accurate. They could be off by an hour if the surveillance system wasn't adjusted for daylight savings time.

MOO
If the timestamp is off by an hour we could be seeing Katie on her way to Henry’s. Emma said Katie was there about 11:30.
Is it possible the timestamp was wrong? does that happen? Do they update automatically or have to be done manually?

I’m most bothered by the man with the cane for three reasons
1. He’s got on what appears to be a bloody shirt near where a murder happened
2. What better way to allow someone to take their guard down than by appearing to be very slow moving or disabled
3. A friend of mine was recently attacked by the same breed as Bowie. His injury was on his torso right beneath his arm pit. If that is blood on that mans shirt there may very well be a bite mark beneath.
All speculation, of course

My observation:
I have been googling atlanta traffic light ticket and photo images. Not finding a lot but so far it appears like the time stamp info does not look like what we see on the photo of Katie in the cross walk.
Don’t take my word for it, have a look for yourself, you might find something i missed.

If the timestamp is off by an hour we could be seeing Katie on her way to Henry’s. Emma said Katie was there about 11:30.
Is it possible the timestamp was wrong? does that happen? Do they update automatically or have to be done manually?
What's the likelihood LE would include the timestamps on the witness videos if they were not correct? That seems counterproductive. If the witnesses saw the video and knew they were at the park an hour later, they may just say it isn't them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966