GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mutilation aspect makes me think it's a hate crime against the LGBT community. Perhaps someone who knew her from her workplace -- someone who had seen her on multiple occasions in her restaurant, held a growing hatred for her, and may have stalked her before, thereby knowing when/where she usually walked her dog.

How could the killer have gotten away unscathed? I'd think that he/she would have some injuries/wounds from the pitbull. I can't imagine the pitbull went down without a fight. Seems like it would be hard to stab a pitbull to death without getting hurt in some capacity. But maybe the killer came prepared and was wearing protective clothing? I wonder how many blood types they found at the scene of the crime. Just 2, or 3??

If it was random and not premeditated, I doubt the mutilation would have occurred, but anything's possible these days. People are getting more and more unhinged, brazen and violent. So much hatred permeating the country. It's highly disturbing.

That makes sense and I hope you're right. The attacker(s) may have left their own DNA on the victims. BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if there were multiple assailants who committed this heinous crime.

Statement from Atlanta Police Department FB page from a little bit ago.

for those who don’t have Facebook statement below.
The Atlanta Police Department responds to rumors and misinformation regarding the recent Piedmont Park case~

Like most of you, members of the Atlanta Police Department are deeply concerned with the recent murder of Katherine Janness. Those involved in the investigation are working tirelessly to find the person(s) responsible. For those of us not working the case, we are closely following the investigation, and waiting on updates. There have been many rumors and much speculation surrounding this case, both among members of the public as well as internally. Much of the information is inaccurate and some is completely false.

For any one of us to spread unverified information, would be irresponsible, but apparently it has occurred. This evening, a local reporter tweeted false information he received from “reliable sources” allegedly within the law enforcement community. This irresponsible “reporting” is discouraging, especially when we and the community rely so heavily on media for accurate information.

We made it clear we would not be able to confirm or deny all rumors they hear, but this particular reporter considered the information fair game, since it wasn’t directly denied.

We simply will not be forced into a position where we must refute all rumors to keep them from being published. The reporter in question wanted a story and wanted to be first, so he aired it anyway.

But this is not just a story to us. We are investigating a callous murder and we must be careful about what information we release, to protect the integrity of this investigation. Please rely on the information released through official channels and do not promote rumors and speculation on active investigations.

We ask that you let us do our job and help us ensure this investigation is not compromised in any way. Our goal is to bring anyone involved in this shocking murder to justice.

Lastly, we do want to thank the members of the media who chose not to publish these unverified rumors. WSB-TV CBS46 FOX 5 Atlanta 11Alive The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Michael Seiden-WSB-TV

MOD NOTE

There have been numerous posts in this thread that been posted as RUMORS which is a serious violation of Websleuths TOS.

There have also been posts that stated info as fact without an MSM link which is also a violation of TOS. If info is posted as fact without the substantiating MSM link, it is also considered RUMOR.

Members should not reply to posts that involve RUMORS because it causes the rumors to be perpetuated. Please do not do that.

Repeatedly ignoring the TOS will result in many removed posts and risk members losing posting privileges. The victims and families of the crimes we discuss here deserve our respect. Please conduct the discussion with that in mind by posting in accordance with the TOS.

THANK YOU for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly while following the Websleuths’ rules.

IMOO
Why on earth would they take a tree branch? A large one at that? Do they suspect the killer bled on it? I could see top soil/grass for some blood but dang near a tree limb? I would think if something was carved into the wood as evidence it would have been spotted sooner by the news crews. IMOO

CBS46
EXCLUSIVE: Partner of woman killed in Piedmont Park speaks about victim's final moments
''Clark says she and Janness began their Tuesday together with coffee, as usual. Janness did not have to work that day, but Clark did later that evening. Clark said Janness stopped by Henry’s with their dog Bowie to say hello before leaving the restaurant to walk their dog that night.''
EXCLUSIVE: Full interview with partner of Katie Janness
“She came by with the dog because if she is out with the dog and she is over there she comes to say hi and lets me see him,” Clark said. “Just check up on me see how long I was going to be at work. I said I love you, be safe, and see you later."

''One day after brutal murder, Atlanta Police increased patrols in the area. Officers on bikes are on duty 24/7 riding inside and around the park. The mounted patrol unit had officers on five horses, patrolling the park throughout the day Thursday as investigators try to identify the killer.

Police are not releasing surveillance video or the 911 call in the investigation.''

“I hope they find them, and I hope they get what they deserve,” Clark said.''

This is awful. The crime in Atlanta and the surrounding areas has seriously escalated since the pandemic started. I mean I find it nuts personally. I live in a smallish town 40 min north and what we've had happen in the last year are crazy. Attempted kidnappings in broad daylight, out door stabbings, multiple murders. And this area is not remotely known for crime.

This sounds personal though. If the neighbors had camera footage of her leaving the house then the PD know when her wife left too and could quickly rule that out. It just seems extreme for random murder though. I hope they find her killer quickly. :(
I am about 40 minutes NW of Atlanta too. I feel relatively safe here, but every day seems to bring a new report of a horrible crime and it’s scary and sad. I don’t think this was random for reasons y’all have all pointed out - the killer took the time to “disfigure”, and didn’t take her phone, and I also agree that the FBI getting involved might mean a hate crime. It’s just an awful situation.

Statement from Atlanta Police Department FB page from a little bit ago.

for those who don’t have Facebook statement below.

Thank you @Tbone144, APD really humiliated that reporter in their post, rightfully so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City of Atlanta Police Department

The Atlanta Police Department responds to rumors and misinformation regarding the recent Piedmont Park case~

Like most of you, members of the Atlanta Police Department are deeply concerned with the recent murder of Katherine Janness. Those involved in the investigation are working tirelessly to find the person(s) responsible. For those of us not working the case, we are closely following the investigation, and waiting on updates. There have been many rumors and much speculation surrounding this case, both among members of the public as well as internally. Much of the information is inaccurate and some is completely false.

For any one of us to spread unverified information, would be irresponsible, but apparently it has occurred. This evening, a local reporter tweeted false information he received from “reliable sources” allegedly within the law enforcement community. This irresponsible “reporting” is discouraging, especially when we and the community rely so heavily on media for accurate information.

We made it clear we would not be able to confirm or deny all rumors they hear, but this particular reporter considered the information fair game, since it wasn’t directly denied.

We simply will not be forced into a position where we must refute all rumors to keep them from being published. The reporter in question wanted a story and wanted to be first, so he aired it anyway.

But this is not just a story to us. We are investigating a callous murder and we must be careful about what information we release, to protect the integrity of this investigation. Please rely on the information released through official channels and do not promote rumors and speculation on active investigations.
We ask that you let us do our job and help us ensure this investigation is not compromised in any way. Our goal is to bring anyone involved in this shocking murder to justice.

Lastly, we do want to thank the members of the media who chose not to publish these unverified rumors.

Such a sad case.

What could have happened??
Here are some options that I've got on my list. Let me know if you have more.

• Random attack.
  • Targeted attack by someone who knew Kat. (e.g. a customer who was rebuffed by her? someone who found out she was a lesbian? An ex?)
  • Targeted attack by someone who knew Kat's wife (as above)
  • Domestic violence
I don't believe it is the final option as the dog was killed and that was Kat's wife's dog. So I am trying to sort through the first 3.

I am about 40 minutes NW of Atlanta too. I feel relatively safe here, but every day seems to bring a new report of a horrible crime and it’s scary and sad. I don’t think this was random for reasons y’all have all pointed out - the killer took the time to “disfigure”, and didn’t take her phone, and I also agree that the FBI getting involved might mean a hate crime. It’s just an awful situation.
I agree it may be a hate crime.
I also wonder if the way, and where, her body was found shows a possible modus operandi, signature, ritual, staging, posing.. and also the possibilitly of a link to other crimes.
Leaving her mutilated body publicly exposed like that is very unusual, as murderers go.
I can see a lot of possible reasons why FBI profilers/behavior analysts would be quickly called in on this case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member