GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does that runner entering/exiting the park line up with the time the victim wad killed?

I think she was last spotted (i.e. the surveillance photo police released of her) 10 minutes away at 12:09. So she could have arrived at earliest at 12:19ish, maybe later if she took a detour.

The runner popped in and out at 12:45 ish.

She was discovered around 1ish by her partner (or maybe 1:10 ish).

I think the cops must have more photos they are withholding of course, so they probably know the exact time she entered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Piedmont Park stabbing | Katie Janness wife speaks about scene | 11alive.com

"The first thing I noticed is I saw Bowie," Clark explained. "He was visible from the gate of the park. He was maybe 50 feet from the gate on the inside and she was further on the right. I just ran in and I grabbed him because I didn't know, maybe he was still alive. Obviously, I knew something was wrong because he was just laying there. I didn't put two and two together because I didn't notice her right away."

"I ran up to her, I tried to feel for a pulse but it was clear that she was gone. I turned around and I just ran out of the park," she described. "It was dark, and I didn't know what was going on. I was terrified and shocked. That's when I called the cops immediately."

Clark continued by saying she didn't think Janness was targeted and described her as not the kind of person who would get in a heated argument with someone.

"She didn't have a lot of people outside of her job that she would speak to on a regular basis besides her friends," Clark said. "I just thought, maybe it was somebody who saw an opportunity. That's all I can think, I honestly don't know."

So is the gate the runner is running out of in the video is the entrance in question? So the victim was killed just inside that gate? Just trying to get my bearings.

Would be great if we had a video retracing her likely route from crosswalk to where she and the dog were found... and showing both the gates. Any locals feel comfortable enough to try in daylight hours?

So is the gate the runner is running out of in the video is the entrance in question? So the victim was killed just inside that gate? Just trying to get my bearings.

Yes, right inside that gate was where the dog was found and then about 100 feet further was where Katie was found. It's mentioned above that the dog was easy to see from the gate by Katie's girlfriend.

To me there are now multiple possibilities with the runner. 1. He ran into the park (especially since we know there is footage of him outside the park running down 10th St. 41 seconds earlier) and turned around because of something he saw. 2. He turned around because of something he heard 3. He has an unusual running pattern where he only goes inside the park for 41 seconds and then turns around. Which seems unlikely if you're going to enter the park close to 1am. 4. The murders did not take place where the bodies were found and were later put there. Only speculation because I feel like with the timing, he would have seen something and said something.

Also, we now know he has a headlamp on which means he was able to see much better than the random lights placed along the path inside the park. I'm not even sure how many lights are on in the park that time of night, but he was definitely able to see ahead of him.

and we don't know FOR SURE that the runner didn't run out and make a call, or that he hasn't come forward by now. (Yes, we can assume that had he made a call, it would have been reported but we don't know that for sure.)

So hard to wait for more information to be released, we are grasping at anything right now.

Would be great if we had a video retracing her likely route from crosswalk to where she and the dog were found... and showing both the gates. Any locals feel comfortable enough to try in daylight hours?
It’s a straight shot from the crosswalk at 10th and Piedmont to the gate near where they were found at 10th and Charles Allen. It’s hard to tell which direction she’s walking from the photo of her at the crosswalk but she would have either taken 10th all the way or Piedmont to the 12th St gate and walked through the park to near Charles Allen and 10th. From gate to gate through the park it’s maybe half a mile if you follow the biggest path.

Yes, right inside that gate was where the dog was found and then about 100 feet further was where Katie was found. It's mentioned above that the dog was easy to see from the gate by Katie's girlfriend.

To me there are now multiple possibilities with the runner. 1. He ran into the park (especially since we know there is footage of him outside the park running down 10th St. 41 seconds earlier) and turned around because of something he saw. 2. He turned around because of something he heard 3. He has an unusual running pattern where he only goes inside the park for 41 seconds and then turns around. Which seems unlikely if you're going to enter the park close to 1am. 4. The murders did not take place where the bodies were found and were later put there. Only speculation because I feel like with the timing, he would have seen something and said something.

Also, we now know he has a headlamp on which means he was able to see much better than the random lights placed along the path inside the park. I'm not even sure how many lights are on in the park that time of night, but he was definitely able to see ahead of him.

Is it common for runners to run through that park that late at night or is it odd?

and we don't know FOR SURE that the runner didn't run out and make a call, or that he hasn't come forward by now. (Yes, we can assume that had he made a call, it would have been reported but we don't know that for sure.)

So hard to wait for more information to be released, we are grasping at anything right now.

Right. And he may have even seen the dog lying there and thought, that's not right, maybe I'll just go another way. It might not have been obvious what happened and he didn't want an injured animal to chase or attack him.

And from the video, he appears to be running at a normal pace, not rushing out like he's just come across a brutal crime scene. Although from the girlfriend's description, he may have only seen a dog laying there. It's strange. Do we know what time the girlfriend started pinging the phone and it was standing still?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member