GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just came here wondering if Bryan Kohberger was in in Atlanta when KJ was murdered?
I was wondering the same thing. It would be great if LE can link him to other unsolved murders, although I honestly think Katie and Bowie were killed by a local person.
It’s wonderful that this guy was arrested so quickly. The victims’ family and loved ones must have a great sense of relief. Thankfully he made a big mistake by using his own vehicle and having it caught on surveillance, and then not ditching it. As far as we know, Katie and Bowie’s killer was either extremely lucky by not being seen, or had carefully planned when and where to attack — knowledge of where cameras are in Midtown and the park.
I pray that there will be an arrest in 2023. Katie and Bowie deserve justice!!!

Kohberger started in rural PA (up to Master’s, I think) and moved to rural WA/ID. Urban south may be too unfamiliar? And if he was a strict vegan, I don’t think he’d go after a dog. I know it sounds incredibly silly but my experience with militant vegans is that they’d save a dog before a human.

But his success in Atlanta may have boosted his confidence to do something bigger, like a house full of college kids. And, occasionally, some ardent dog-lovers carve out exceptions for specific types of dogs: pits, overbred genetic disasters like bulldogs, and trendy mixes/oodles. JMO.

It would be helpful to know whether any of the Moscow victims had letters like F-A-T here.

I was thinking the same! This case reminds me of the Idaho 4 in a way, save for the killing of the dog? How far is Atlanta from PA? Isn’t it on the other side of the country?

It is almost 800 miles or a 12 hour drive due North from ATL to PA. PA is located between Ohio and New Jersey. People go to ATL for all types of reasons such as business related matters, seminars,or conventions. CNN's headquarters is there so is Coca Cola. Great concert venues offer stars such as John Mellencamp playing in Feb. Also, the busiest airport in America is in ATL.

Wonder where the guy was on July 29, 2021?

It is almost 800 miles or a 12 hour drive due North from ATL to PA. PA is located between Ohio and New Jersey. People go to ATL for all types of reasons such as business related matters, seminars,or conventions. CNN's headquarters is there so is Coca Cola. Great concert venues offer stars such as John Mellencamp playing in Feb. Also, the busiest airport in America is in ATL.

Wonder where the guy was on July 29, 2021?
Yes, I wonder where he was as well. It would be on his summer down time during his Masters program.

Can anyone in “the field” provide any explanation as to why the police wouldn’t provide ANY more news on this case? It’s been over 530 something odd days since this gruesome, National headline grabbing crime: Yet we have no update on the progress, no criminal profile (which is odd to me) no one has spoken up. Not a peep. It’s been complete radio silence.

Is this normal?

Can anyone in “the field” provide any explanation as to why the police wouldn’t provide ANY more news on this case? It’s been over 530 something odd days since this gruesome, National headline grabbing crime: Yet we have no update on the progress, no criminal profile (which is odd to me) no one has spoken up. Not a peep. It’s been complete radio silence.

Is this normal?
I think we are all a bit baffled by it. Public place, nighttime but still some people moving around, horrific crime including an attack on a dog, FBI called in to assist almost immediately, but still no arrest. I don't know. Maybe a killer that just got extremely lucky?

I think we are all a bit baffled by it. Public place, nighttime but still some people moving around, horrific crime including an attack on a dog, FBI called in to assist almost immediately, but still no arrest. I don't know. Maybe a killer that just got extremely lucky?

Or…...negligence on the investigative side?

Could that be a possibility, that they know exactly who killed her, and just simply don’t have enough evidence to convict at this time? Or wasted valuable time when they needed to be speaking with her inner circle and it took them 6 months to speak to the brother of EC?

I’m just speaking my opinion. Not saying they did anything wrong, I’m just trying to keep the conversation flowing, since it seems to have halted.

Idaho captured someone who committed dang near the same style crime (but worse), NOT in a publicly open space, killed FOUR people….and they solved it in a month. That speaks volumes to me.

Could that be a possibility, that they know exactly who killed her, and just simply don’t have enough evidence to convict at this time? Or wasted valuable time when they needed to be speaking with her inner circle and it took them 6 months to speak to the brother of EC?

I’m just speaking my opinion. Not saying they did anything wrong, I’m just trying to keep the conversation flowing, since it seems to have halted.

Idaho captured someone who committed dang near the same style crime (but worse), NOT in a publicly open space, killed FOUR people….and they solved it in a month. That speaks volumes to me.
Who knows. Like the Idaho murders, the APD notified the FBI immediately for assistance apparently. Something triggered that. But it has not resulted in an arrest. Is the killer known to KJ? or a stranger? It seems if it was someone known to her, that link would have been discovered. So based on that I sort of lean to the idea this was more random, just a psycho looking for a victim. But that itself has problems.
As for the negligence on the side of police, we don't know. No crime scene investigation is going to be perfect. APD is a large department with tremendous resources, plus the GBI and FBI. But lets not forget that there were 159 other murders in Atlanta in 2021. That is staggering.

Who knows. Like the Idaho murders, the APD notified the FBI immediately for assistance apparently. Something triggered that. But it has not resulted in an arrest. Is the killer known to KJ? or a stranger? It seems if it was someone known to her, that link would have been discovered. So based on that I sort of lean to the idea this was more random, just a psycho looking for a victim. But that itself has problems.
As for the negligence on the side of police, we don't know. No crime scene investigation is going to be perfect. APD is a large department with tremendous resources, plus the GBI and FBI. But lets not forget that there were 159 other murders in Atlanta in 2021. That is staggering.
True, good points.

Not that any murder takes precedence over another, however when a fairly young female is literally cut to pieces and disemboweled in your largest public park, out in the open, one would assume they would want it solved. ;) it seems this case would receive a little bit of special attention in the sorts of resources being used and the urgency. Because frankly, it’s dangerous not to put this person behind bars. That is, unless of course, you know this particular killer is not a threat to anyone but KJ.

True, good points.

Not that any murder takes precedence over another, however when a fairly young female is literally cut to pieces and disemboweled in your largest public park, out in the open, one would assume they would want it solved. ;) it seems this case would receive a little bit of special attention in the sorts of resources being used and the urgency. Because frankly, it’s dangerous not to put this person behind bars. That is, unless of course, you know this particular killer is not a threat to anyone but KJ.
LE obviously didn’t have a Mr. G rattling them as in the Idaho 4 case ;). However, I am amazed as well, the little attention this case seems to have been given by msm, save for the initial reports. It has been a year and a half and it doesn’t appear that there are any new leads and the case has gone cold.

Edit to say - I do believe there is a $10,000 reward posted.

Last edited:
LE obviously didn’t have a Mr. G rattling them as in the Idaho 4 case ;). However, I am amazed as well, the little attention this case seems to have been given by msm, save for the initial reports. It has been a year and a half and it doesn’t appear that there are any new leads and the case has gone cold.

IMO, local media attention seemed to fade away quickly as soon as it stopped looking like a "hate crime" and more like either a random crime or a "crime of passion".

I’m sure the question of BKs whereabouts when KJ and Bowie were murdered has crossed the minds of many who have followed this case. Hopefully it triggered ATL LE, as well, can’t imagine it wouldn’t. So many unanswered questions about the Idaho murders….time will tell. My own curiosity….was there evidence of carving or mutilation of the victims which hasn’t been revealed yet? One difference, it appears that alleged murderer BK didn’t waste time hanging around the crime scene after committing the murders. RIP Katie & Bowie. Hopefully there will be an arrest in 2023.

$20,000.

I missed something— it took LE six months to speak to AC? do you have a link to that? I‘d like to know more about this.
But yes, I hope they know who did this but are missing 1 key piece of evidence.
As for why it’s not in the news more, IMO it’s politcal— the city doesn’t want any victim/case to be prioritized over others. JMO.

Pandasleuth, You and the members posting lately have good points, and it’s compassionate that you’re still caring about what happened to Katie and Bowie. I very much do as well. I believe the intelligent approach, as you’ve all suggested about the APD being swamped, the killer possibly Somehow being unbelievably lucky-so far-and that it was not random nor someone from out of town, is the fair way to look at those involved trying hard to solve this murder. And it makes sense that it was someone who had a grudge against her, however well she was liked by 99.9% of those who knew her. Something connecting the killer just Has to break. Katie’s family and Emma need answers.

Regarding the Idaho murders: 1. I am so very relieved and glad for the families of the individuals who were so viciously murdered that the killer was apprehended. 2 I think the wording used saying that crime was worse isn’t accurate. ALL of these murders are horrific and unacceptable; the number of victims in Idaho was larger, but that doesn’t mean the pain and fear and suffering each of them experienced was worse than what Katie went through. Individually, ALL of these human beings who were daughters, sons, siblings, cousins, friends-all of them are and will be terribly missed; the killer in Idaho and in Piedmont Park took away so much more than can be imagined; he/she took the lives of five young people and the potential they had to grow into their best selves, and also to contribute to our universal community; he/she altered forever the lives of all those on the fringes of their daily worlds up to those family and friends who are now struggling (and those who continue to do so every single day having lost Katie and Bowie), who mourn, who can barely make it through the hours much less entire days. Every loss matters immensely. Every loss by murder is unconscionable and affects so very many, often for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal