GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very interesting. It just makes it more confusing as to how this offender was able to kill Bowie.

Have you seen a picture of Bowie?
Here's two good ones of he and KJ:
Piedmont Park murder: Katherine Janness stabbing investigation 1 year later

He is like an American Staffy.

Not one of those burly short pit bulls called the American Bully that many may feel are scary looking.

Bowie was just three and from reports very well socialized visiting restaurants and taking long walks on city sidewalks and in parks. Dogs with an active positive social life would be surprised by an attacker and with no training or experience in protection are just as vulnerable as KJ.

I’m a little defensive of Bowie because he is a victim and shouldn’t be critiqued for what he did or didn’t do like any other victim, imo

Not one of those burly short pit bulls called the American Bully that many may feel are scary looking.

Bowie was just three and from reports very well socialized visiting restaurants and taking long walks on city sidewalks and in parks. Dogs with an active positive social life would be surprised by an attacker and with no training or experience in protection are just as vulnerable as KJ.

I’m a little defensive of Bowie because he is a victim and shouldn’t be critiqued for what he did or didn’t do like any other victim, imo
From link..ty.
1698172345242.png

Since Bowie was so well socialized and accustomed to a variety of people in the neighbourhood, it is very sad to think he was friendly enough to trust someone to get close enough to kill him.
Maybe if it was a stranger, they kept some distance by using a long bladed weapon or a stun gun?
speculation, imo, fwiw

@Jade I completely agree. He looks like a goof ball. The kind of dog with a happy smiling face, tongue out, always ready for a quick pet, even from a stranger.

Often, when I was out walking my dog people would come up to me, "Can I pet your dog?". Sure. He loved attention. Were they checking out if he was vicious? Who knows?!

What else could Bowie but a victim----?

@Jade, I have seen all the pictures of Bowie and I agree that Bowie was an innocent victim in all this. He was a handsome guy who clearly loved KJ and she him.

The puzzle piece is how did the killer make his approach and fairly efficiently kill Bowie. I’m sure the killer planned all parts of the attack very carefully.

@Jade, I have seen all the pictures of Bowie and I agree that Bowie was an innocent victim in all this. He was a handsome guy who clearly loved KJ and she him.

The puzzle piece is how did the killer make his approach and fairly efficiently kill Bowie. I’m sure the killer planned all parts of the attack very carefully.

IF it’s a blitz attack - startled victims; very sharp knife

imo

IF it’s a blitz attack - startled victims; very sharp knife

imo
I did a little research. With a sharp knife (which I'm sure it was), all it would take is the killer walking quickly or running up to Bowie from the front and stabbing the right place in the neck. That's just so hard to imagine, makes me very teary.

Replying to posts that seem to imply he should be protector based on speculations about his actions or inactions.
If you're referring to my post, I'm sorry you took it that way. I don't blame Bowie for anything and didn't mean to imply he should or shouldn't have done anything. I chose my words badly.

When I said you would expect Bowie to defend KJ, I was talking about the inherent risk of attacking someone with a dog. Bowie appears to have been sweet-natured, but the attacker wouldn't have known that unless they knew KJ and Bowie.

Attacking someone when they're walking a dog is crucial because it narrows down who would do it. It's either someone known to the victim(s), someone so proficient in killing animals that they're not concerned about getting hurt, or a lunatic who just doesn't care.

If you're referring to my post, I'm sorry you took it that way. I don't blame Bowie for anything and didn't mean to imply he should or shouldn't have done anything. I chose my words badly.

When I said you would expect Bowie to defend KJ, I was talking about the inherent risk of attacking someone with a dog. Bowie appears to have been sweet-natured, but the attacker wouldn't have known that unless they knew KJ and Bowie.

Attacking someone when they're walking a dog is crucial because it narrows down who would do it. It's either someone known to the victim(s), someone so proficient in killing animals that they're not concerned about getting hurt, or a lunatic who just doesn't care.
My vote is on a lunatic.

My vote is on a lunatic.

I don't. I see this as carefully planned. Contrast this killing with the murder of Eliza Fletcher, in Memphis. The killer was identified and caught in less than a week!

The murder of Bowie and Katie was over two years ago! And stalled. I Eliza Fletcher's case, it was an absolute stranger, unknown to Eliza. In this case, due to the very personal attack, and specific knife words carved into Katie's skin, that to me, is personalized. And including the dog, that also shows not only familiar with Bowie, as non threatening, but also the level of hatred to also kill someone's pet, very personal.

The killer in Idaho, who stabbed four people, left the puppy, belonging to one of the victim's alive, I believe that if it had been personal animus against the victim, the dog would have also had it's throat slashed.

Was Bowie found wearing a leash or was he running loose-leash in the park?

The fact that the phone was found a small distance from the Katie tells me that she might have been walking with her phone in her hand (as opposed to in her pocket) when she was ambushed.

I could imagine a scene where bowie runs ahead to say hi to the perp on the walkway, short conversation/lewd proposition ensues and is rejected by Katie, man is offended and calls Katie "fat", Bowie is stabbed and Katie tries to intervene and is murdered. The murderer is so angry at the rejection he defaces Katie by pulling her pants down and carving "fat" into her skin.

Psychos have written on victims or written things on the crime scene without having any connection to the victim before. So i don't necessarily see this as a personally motivated crime - where the suspect knew Katie in any way. This feels to me like someone very angry with a rejection.

My own amateur opinions and speculations.

I don't. I see this as carefully planned. Contrast this killing with the murder of Eliza Fletcher, in Memphis. The killer was identified and caught in less than a week!

The murder of Bowie and Katie was over two years ago! And stalled. I Eliza Fletcher's case, it was an absolute stranger, unknown to Eliza. In this case, due to the very personal attack, and specific knife words carved into Katie's skin, that to me, is personalized. And including the dog, that also shows not only familiar with Bowie, as non threatening, but also the level of hatred to also kill someone's pet, very personal.

The killer in Idaho, who stabbed four people, left the puppy, belonging to one of the victim's alive, I believe that if it had been personal animus against the victim, the dog would have also had it's throat slashed.
Katie entering Piedmont Park at midnight has always bothered me because 1) Emma didn't know Katie was going to PP even though they'd visited the hour prior and 2) she was flying to see her mother the next day. I've never learned if Katie's luggage was packed up and ready to go or not.

In theorizing a very carefully planned plot, how did the killer know Katie would be in PP at that specific hour? Was the killer hiding and waiting as any random killer might do? Hence, two random acts collide leaving both Katie and Bowie dead.

Idaho4 killer broke into 1122 King House in order to get to his victims. If Katie was lured to PP, as an example, why didn't she let Emma know so she wouldn't worry about them? How did the killer know they could overcome two healthy victims in one fell swoop? The element of surprise and choice of weapon was enough.

Katie entering Piedmont Park at midnight has always bothered me because 1) Emma didn't know Katie was going to PP even though they'd visited the hour prior, 2) walking Bowie that far from home at midnight and 3) she was flying to see her mother the next day. I've never learned if Katie's luggage was packed up and ready to go or not.

In theorizing a very carefully planned plot, how did the killer know Katie would be in PP at that specific hour? Was the killer hiding and waiting as any random killer might do? Hence, two random acts collide leaving both Katie and Bowie dead.

How did the killer know they could overcome two healthy victims in one fell swoop? The element of surprise and choice of weapon was enough.

Was Bowie found wearing a leash or was he running loose-leash in the park?

The fact that the phone was found a small distance from the Katie tells me that she might have been walking with her phone in her hand (as opposed to in her pocket) when she was ambushed.

I could imagine a scene where bowie runs ahead to say hi to the perp on the walkway, short conversation/lewd proposition ensues and is rejected by Katie, man is offended and calls Katie "fat", Bowie is stabbed and Katie tries to intervene and is murdered. The murderer is so angry at the rejection he defaces Katie by pulling her pants down and carving "fat" into her skin.

Psychos have written on victims or written things on the crime scene without having any connection to the victim before. So i don't necessarily see this as a personally motivated crime - where the suspect knew Katie in any way. This feels to me like someone very angry with a rejection.

My own amateur opinions and speculations.
I agree that Katie and the perpetrator did not know each other. They may have crossed paths in the park or at Katie's or Emma's work. I think, though, that the perpetrator had this well planned and had fantasized it for a long time given the short time frame involved, the number of stab wounds, the kind of incisions and that a number of the wounds were before she died. I hope that we can all stop speculating soon with the arrest of this monster!

Katie entering Piedmont Park at midnight has always bothered me because 1) Emma didn't know Katie was going to PP even though they'd visited the hour prior, 2) walking Bowie that far from home at midnight and 3) she was flying to see her mother the next day. I've never learned if Katie's luggage was packed up and ready to go or not.

How did the killer know they could overcome two healthy victims in one fell swoop? The element of surprise and choice of weapon was enough.
Your points and questions are well taken. My speculation that it was well organized and that the killer had fantasized about killing a woman in this manner is based on the number of stab wounds, the kind of wounds, the fact that many of the wounds were before she died. These are all things the killer wanted to do to satisfy a very demented need for sexual gratification through fear, torture and then killing.

He would have known the PP extremely well and known who was walking in the park in those early morning hours, where some of the darkest places were along the route Katies took. He may have seen Katie at Emma's workplace and overheard conversations about her trip, even before that night.

He felt confident in his ability to use a knife because he's likely used one to commit a stabbing murder previously or to kill animals in his early adolescence.

Just some thoughts.

Dear RetLawyer, Please forgive my rudeness for not properly greeting you. Welcome to WS your input is so welcome.

I’m sorry I came to the defense right off!

Looking forward to more of your posts on this thread and others.

Jade

Dear RetLawyer, Please forgive my rudeness for not properly greeting you. Welcome to WS your input is so welcome.

I’m sorry I came to the defense right off!

Looking forward to more of your posts on this thread and others.

Jade
@Jade, Thanks for the welcome. No need for an apology. It's hard to communicate tone, expression thru these, so I don't take much personally. I usually assume I haven't been clear in my communication if a reply post seems to be off.

I'm glad I finally joined up. Every one's perspectives about this are so helpful to solving it. And, to keep KJ and Bowie in the conversation, at least in Atlanta!
Chris

I'm sorry I guess I feel for safety reasons relying on a pet for a deterrent is not too safe.

I tried for the longest to get my husband’s friend to help test our German Shepherd's protection instincts. He has declined.

I know I hear that a lot regarding like home invasions where a barking dog could alert someone or make someone thinking of robbing you on the street of your cell phone or wallet as the robber may want to avoid a possible bite for a small return.

But someone looking to cause that extreme chaos and death to a perfectly innocent human- what’s a dog first?

all imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70
Back