Found Deceased GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell, 16, Augusta, 17 April 2017 *mom & stepdad arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipping parts of inmyhumble's post....

<respectfully snipped>
Do you take the BUS back home from the TRAIN STATION?

The truck ran out of gas in Atlanta or Augusta?

(I assume *the story* is that he dropped her off at a MARTA mass transit train station, which is the rail station in Atlanta) Atlanta's Greyhound Bus Station at 232 Forsyth Street is next to the Garnett MARTA station on the red/gold rail line. ... Garnett is one stop south of Five Points, and the area is transitional, so use caution when traveling after dark and avoid letting anyone help you with your luggage. You can buy your Greyhound tickets online to save any waiting at the station. Passengers should be at the station 20 minutes before departure.
https://martaguide.com/2009/10/05/marta-to-greyhound/

marta-station-line-map.jpg

The truck ran out of gas in Atlanta or Augusta?

In Augusta, is where the truck was found, one mile from their house is my understanding But you are right, that doesn't make sense at all...

Car.jpg

ETA: Trying to fix format

"On April 20, Tanya Tripp reported her 1990 GMC Sierra C1500 white pick up truck was either with her husband and daughter or stolen. That truck was found April 26 about a mile from the home on Old McDuffie Road. That truck was back in Tanya Tripp&#8217;s possession during our next interview."

Ok, if the truck was found a mile from their house in Augusta, how did Leon get to Atlanta?!
Can the other daughter confirm that her Mom, Leon and Janelle were home all day up until she informed her Mom that Janelle was missing? Or do we have a 3rd person that rode with Leon to Atlanta and brought the truck back or met up with Leon where the truck was found and took him to Atlanta?
Was Janelle even in that truck that night?
This case is driving me nuts!! Where is Janelle????

It sure was convennnnnnnnnnnnnnnient that the truck was found one mile from mom's house, not impounded???? by LE and that the reporter said that mom had it when she was interviewed.

My question, is why was the truck not impounded as evidence and was returned to the mother? :thinking:

It sure was convennnnnnnnnnnnnnnient that the truck was found one mile from mom's house, not impounded???? by LE and that the reporter said that mom had it when she was interviewed.

My question, is why was the truck not impounded as evidence and was returned to the mother? :thinking:

That was a terrible mistake, I would assume. That is frustrating with potential evidence, though I'm not sure she was in the truck or not.
I have thought that maybe Leon had taken a liking to Janelle, (she's beautiful), and maybe Tanya was upset with that. Maybe Tanya saw her as "competition"? I'm not saying Janelle felt the same way or did anything willingly, at all! I don't think Janelle liked Leon in that way-let me be clear. What would the motive be? I can only see money or jealousy.

Also, there are cameras and multiple other ways to verify if she took the MARTA or a greyhound. I'm sorry that I haven't read the last few pages yet, so I'm not sure if this is the story they're now giving

I think Mama got jealous of her pretty little girl and took her out of the picture somehow.

Unfortunately, MzOPinion, I believe that is the motive here.
I will never be able to understand this. As mums, we live for our children, and if a male boyfriend/husband/friend of mine wants to be with my child in this sick, twisted way, there's not enough LE and prisons to keep my hands from squeezing around his neck, and my knees from teaching his family jewels a lesson!

Can I get an Amen...

Unfortunately, MzOPinion, I believe that is the motive here.
I will never be able to understand this. As mums, we live for our children, and if a male boyfriend/husband/friend of mine wants to be with my child in this sick, twisted way, there's not enough LE and prisons to keep my hands from squeezing around his neck, and my knees from teaching his family jewels a lesson!

Can I get an Amen...

I had not read that post. So sad, but I can see that happening.

"On April 20, Tanya Tripp reported her 1990 GMC Sierra C1500 white pick up truck was either with her husband and daughter or stolen. That truck was found April 26 about a mile from the home on Old McDuffie Road. That truck was back in Tanya Tripp’s possession during our next interview."

Ok, if the truck was found a mile from their house in Augusta, how did Leon get to Atlanta?!
Can the other daughter confirm that her Mom, Leon and Janelle were home all day up until she informed her Mom that Janelle was missing? Or do we have a 3rd person that rode with Leon to Atlanta and brought the truck back or met up with Leon where the truck was found and took him to Atlanta?
Was Janelle even in that truck that night?
This case is driving me nuts!! Where is Janelle????
Yes, and it's driving me nuts that Janelle/LaTania hasn't been found.

What makes a little more sense to me than what Tanya told the reporter:
Something happens at home sometime after LaTania is last seen ("LaTania Janell Carwell reportedly celebrated Easter Sunday 2017 with her mother, sister, stepfather and a friend of the family with a cookout ..."; "Her last day at school was the week prior": I really don't believe anything that comes out of TT's mouth -unless corroborated by LE- at this point, so I have to ignore the cookout on Sunday; LE may have asked the board of education not to disclose exactly when LaTania's last day at school was).

TT drives Leon to Atlanta in his truck. They take -deceased :(- LaTania with them, dumping her body somewhere along the way. They do this overnight, and LaTania's little sister is left home alone.

I think the "going to Clarks Hill to Maurice" story could be a clue as to LaTania's location.

Located in Clarks Hill is the Clarks Hill Dam/Lake (".. the third-largest artificial lake east of the Mississippi River ..."). They could have disposed of the body there.

Also, according to the WJBF article:
"Tanya told me that Leon took her phone and left his phone with her. She also stated that the phones Leon and LaTania had were missing and that she had her phone’s number ported to a new phone because that was the only number her daughter had to call her."

Perhaps TT inadvertently took her phone with her as she and LT drove to Clarks Hill. Upon arriving in Atlanta to drop LT off there, she realizes it would look suspicious if her phone's GPS history said her phone was in Atlanta, and then back in Augusta a few hours later, or that it was turned off in the Atlanta area , only to be turned back on in Augusta. So maybe as soon as she realized she'd made this mistake, TT and LT destroyed her phone. As for LaTania's phone, it could have been destroyed anywhere anytime.

So why would TT come up with the "going to Clarks Hill to Maurice" story at all? Again, if she accidentally took her phone with her while driving LT to Atlanta via Clarks Hill, her GPS history would show that. Thus she would tell LE LT had her phone, and that he was going to Clarks Hill to help someone.

Once in Atlanta, TT and LT clean the truck inside and out to get rid of any evidence. TT drives back to Augusta, abandons the truck not even a mile from her home and walks home.

Monday comes, no LaTania at school, so TT files a report that night before school gets too suspicious.

Three days later, she reports the truck stolen, perhaps hoping for an insurance payout (the truck is 27 years old, though, so not sure ... maybe she just wanted it found because it was inconvenient not to have a car, especially if she and LT had already cleaned it).

I'm just so afraid that LaTania will never be found, and TT and LT will get away with whatever they have done to her ... :(.

Sources:
http://wjbf.com/2017/05/29/where-is-latania/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Strom_Thurmond
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Strom_Thurmond_Dam
https://goo.gl/maps/46VR5Xyr57v

Something happens at home sometime after LaTania is last seen ("LaTania Janell Carwell reportedly celebrated Easter Sunday 2017 with her mother, sister, stepfather and a friend of the family with a cookout ..."; "Her last day at school was the week prior": I really don't believe anything that comes out of TT's mouth -unless corroborated by LE- at this point, so I have to ignore the cookout on Sunday; LE may have asked the board of education not to disclose exactly when LaTania's last day at school was).

TT drives Leon to Atlanta in his truck. They take -deceased :(- LaTania with them, dumping her body somewhere along the way. They do this overnight, and LaTania's little sister is left home alone.

I think the "going to Clarks Hill to Maurice" story could be a clue as to LaTania's location.

Located in Clarks Hill is the Clarks Hill Dam/Lake (".. the third-largest artificial lake east of the Mississippi River ..."). They could have disposed of the body there.

"Tanya told me that Leon took her phone and left his phone with her. She also stated that the phones Leon and LaTania had were missing and that she had her phone&#8217;s number ported to a new phone because that was the only number her daughter had to call her."

Perhaps TT inadvertently took her phone with her as she and LT drove to Clarks Hill. Upon arriving in Atlanta to drop LT off there, she realizes it would look suspicious if her phone's GPS history said her phone was in Atlanta, and then back in Augusta a few hours later, or that it was turned off in the Atlanta area , only to be turned back on in Augusta. So maybe as soon as she realized she'd made this mistake, TT and LT destroyed her phone. As for LaTania's phone, it could have been destroyed anywhere anytime.

So why would TT come up with the "going to Clarks Hill to Maurice" story at all? Again, if she accidentally took her phone with her while driving LT to Atlanta via Clarks Hill, her GPS history would show that. Thus she would tell LE LT had her phone, and that he was going to Clarks Hill to help someone.

Once in Atlanta, TT and LT clean the truck inside and out to get rid of any evidence. TT drives back to Augusta, abandons the truck not even a mile from her home and walks home.

Monday comes, no LaTania at school, so TT files a report that night before school gets too suspicious.

Three days later, she reports the truck stolen, perhaps hoping for an insurance payout (the truck is 27 years old, though, so not sure ... maybe she just wanted it found because it was inconvenient not to have a car, especially if she and LT had already cleaned it).

I'm just so afraid that LaTania will never be found, and TT and LT will get away with whatever they have done to her ... :(.

Sources:

Inmyhumbleopinion, Clark's Hill is huge as I stated before and I do believe Janell to be there. I have spent much time at Clark's Hill as it's always been the place to go during summer vacation from school. The place is huge and surrounded by lots and lots of thick forest and many campgrounds. Clarks Hill spans Georgia and South Carolina and just takes about 20 minutes to get there from Augusta.

Thanks for calling it Clark's Hill instead of Lake Strom Thurmond, bleh. lol

"Tanya told me that Leon took her phone and left his phone with her. She also stated that the phones Leon and LaTania had were missing and that she had her phone’s number ported to a new phone because that was the only number her daughter had to call her."

Sources:

I like the way you think except the part about TT walking a mile back home....that seems far fetched with her "condition" & all ;)

And I think she reported the truck stolen in case there was any DNA or evidence in the truck they could point blame on someone who "stole" it while LT was helping "Maurice". If it was gonna be for a payout of some sort I'd think they would have set that truck ablaze & then called it in stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope sister is someplace safe and sound. I think she may hold the key to some of this information. And I don't want anyone to be able to get to her and scare her or worse....

Hay QueenBea, I wish you were closer to me, we could go to the lake and start sniffing around. We would make a good search team. :websleuther: :websleuther:

has her phone records been retrieved?

I am sure they must have looked at her phone records.

Weird thing about stepdad's story is her statement about their phones being stolen from the truck when they walked to the gas station.

Why would you leave your cells back in the truck if you were walking to a gas station for help? Wouldn't you take them with you at a time like that?

I am sure they must have looked at her phone records.

Weird thing about stepdad's story is her statement about their phones being stolen from the truck when they walked to the gas station.

Why would you leave your cells back in the truck if you were walking to a gas station for help? Wouldn't you take them with you at a time like that?

EXACTLY...take your phone, purse anything valuable. this is starting to sound like a fabricated story by the mother.

If someone wanted to disappear LaTania, or if they wanted to cover up some sort of foul play, having mom report her missing/abducted in the dead of night by stepdad and then defending him beyond all reason is not the way to accomplish that. That brought attention to Leon (abductor) and mom (lady who says IMO off putting things in interviews)

Better to simply report her missing, a runaway. Involving Leon in some fabrication does not make sense if mom is guilty of wrongdoing in her daughter's disappearance.

I tend to think mom is willing to buy whatever Leon is selling no matter how far fetched and unbelievable it is. I do not see her directly involved in whatever happened to make her daughter disappear. I think the river runs deep for this one. :twocents:

I hope sister is someplace safe and sound. I think she may hold the key to some of this information. And I don't want anyone to be able to get to her and scare her or worse....

She is with a woman who I believe is her aunt and she is safe & well. One of the Facebook pages for this case is in touch with her and has posted a couple of updates. No case info though. They are just trying to normalize her life for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missing Augusta teen appears to have led quiet life-

NewsChannel 6 has new information. We have been talking with Richmond County Board of Education and we know that she did not show up for school on April 17. That was the day her mother reported her missing. She was a student at T.W. Josey Comprehensive High School. The BOE released yearbooks at the school for the past two years. We scanned through both the 2015 and 2016 books and found her class photos. What we did notice while looking at the yearbooks is that LaTania was not involved in any extracurricular activities. She was not in any sports either.

We also went to her church, Greater Young Zion Baptist Church on Sand Bar Ferry Road in Augusta. There, we found out that she was not involved in youth ministry or any other ministries.

More at-
http://wjbf.com/2017/05/30/missing-augusta-teen-appears-to-have-led-quiet-life/
16f0c1e48761530457d50555e6c3cb7d.jpg

I found this thread from the podcast also. You'd have only to have a cursory exposure to statement analysis to know that the mother's story is a pile of boulders.

LaTania Janell looks like such a lovely girl, and this doesn't look good :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members