GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a detail I caught in the police chief's press conference, he said he did not believe Gidding's body had been there during the initial stage of the search. That leads me to believe that someone close by the scene was keeping the body, because they would have only had a very short window of time to 1) recognize that police were at Gidding's residence 2) dump the remains hastily and at the complex.

Yes. When I listened to the news conference yesterday and heard the police chief mutter that portion I had to replay it 3 times to make sure that is what he said.

I simply couldn't believe none of the local reporters are making a big deal over that fact! One of the reporters specifically asked him about it so why hush it up!

If the killer did in fact dump the body hastily after the police searched the site that changes everything -- that isn't a "message", it is as you said, it is a hasty decision in the last minute. Wonder if the motivation would be heat/smell? Once the police arrived it became obvious people might notice an odd smell from the apartment etc... The average refrigerator could easily not hold a whole body, so perhaps parts needed to be sacrificed.

This is starting to sound like an off the chain schizophrenic that has totally lost their mind!

I also agree on the cannibalism/necro interests. There was no reason to dismember this girl (small person) so unless it was supposed to be a shocking message the only other reason would be a purient interest in the act of dismemberment itself. They should have the rape kit completed by this week (sheesh not sure why it takes that long actually, though apparently the police don't want to release any details about this crime). Hate to be graphic but if the killer had regular sex with her after death they wouldn't need a rapekit, the signs are quite visible and obvious.

I believe one possible reason that police are being so tight-lipped about this case is that they too believe this to be an exceptionally disturbing crime and would not want the public to know there had been a "Dahmer-esque" or "Chase-esque" murder committed without having a solid and confirmed suspect in custody first. Imagine the mass hysteria.

Doubt if it would cause mass hysteria; Macon is already a crime infested mess and the locals are all well aware of it. The Macon murder rate is 10 times as high as the rate in San Jose, California for example. People know they have to lock their doors and watch their back in many areas of the city, except those folks that don't think bad things can happen to them (and this wouldn't likely change that mindset).

More likely Mercer University really really wants this situation kept quiet for enrollment purposes. People don't spend tens of thousands a year to send their daughters off to universities inhabited by serial killers, especially families from out of state.

Doubt if it would cause mass hysteria; Macon is already a crime infested mess and the locals are all well aware of it.

More likely Mercer University really really wants this situation kept quiet for enrollment purposes. People don't spend tens of thousands a year to send their daughters off to universities inhabited by serial killers, especially families from out of state.

I agree. I'm a graduate of Mercer University and also still fairly local. I don't think mass hysteria is as high a priority as a mass exodus of students and prospective students. I have quite a few friends who are very local to the case, and nobody seems to be in panic mode.

I agree. I'm a graduate of Mercer University and also still fairly local. I don't think mass hysteria is as high a priority as a mass exodus of students and prospective students. I have quite a few friends who are very local to the case, and nobody seems to be in panic mode.

Yeah best case scenario for Mercer would be to have the killer caught quick AND have it turn out the killer is NOT someone the national news will take an interest in vilifying or investigating (i.e. not a clean cut young wealthy "La Crosse player type" that will lead to front page headlines all over the country).

I'm sure there is coverage there in Georgia, but I've not seen a word about Lauren on any national news source. Perhaps there have been some brief reports, but certainly nothing like coverage in other cases. I wonder if that is because LE intimated they had a POI (or two) right away? So media did not have much of a chance to start a panic?

thanks for the replies, it helps a lot!

gee, why in the world does he wear that mess??? the more i learn about him the more i dont understand.

what are the chances of that body not being hers? i know that sounds ridiculous, but i cant help but think of it as a slight possibility.

Isnt there a story in the news now that a woman drowned in a public pool and no one noticed her for some two or three days. Someone had even told the lifeguard about the problem and nothing happened.

So yeah someone could have "overlooked" it I suppose. On the other hand I suspect it was brought back and left there. If she was not killed and dismembered in her apartment in the first place, that would have had to have happened somewhere else anyway. So at some point the torso was returned

So yeah someone could have "overlooked" it I suppose. On the other hand I suspect it was brought back and left there. If she was not killed and dismembered in her apartment in the first place, that would have had to have happened somewhere else anyway. So at some point the torso was returned

The police are basically saying THEY did not see it the first time, but they really do not think it is possible that they would have missed it when they were looking in that area. Plus unless the body was tightly wrapped up in plastic or in a drum or something I am sure there would be evidence on the ground (seepage, insect activity, etc...) that would make it clear if it were there for days.

It does not make sense for the killer to be away from the scene and then bring the body back 5 days later. It is just too risky as they would have no idea what they were walking into, plus it sort of ruins the "message" theory and instead implies someone wanted to hold on to the body for 5 days.

This story only seems to be getting local coverage. Even the Atlanta Journal Constitution (1.5 hours away) only has 2 small stories on it.

Yes. When I listened to the news conference yesterday and heard the police chief mutter that portion I had to replay it 3 times to make sure that is what he said.

I simply couldn't believe none of the local reporters are making a big deal over that fact! One of the reporters specifically asked him about it so why hush it up!

I think the reporting on this case has been anemic, to say the least.

If the killer did in fact dump the body hastily after the police searched the site that changes everything -- that isn't a "message", it is as you said, it is a hasty decision in the last minute. Wonder if the motivation would be heat/smell? Once the police arrived it became obvious people might notice an odd smell from the apartment etc... The average refrigerator could easily not hold a whole body, so perhaps parts needed to be sacrificed.
Precisely. It truly appears to me that the torso had to be sacrificed as police closed in.

This is starting to sound like an off the chain schizophrenic that has totally lost their mind!
That's why I feel like this crime has shades of the Richard Trenton Chase murders.

I also agree on the cannibalism/necro interests. There was no reason to dismember this girl (small person) so unless it was supposed to be a shocking message the only other reason would be a purient interest in the act of dismemberment itself. They should have the rape kit completed by this week (sheesh not sure why it takes that long actually, though apparently the police don't want to release any details about this crime).

Yes! I'm so glad someone else sees it. If she has been dead since last weekend I can think of no other reason for her body to only just now have been disposed of and in the state it was found. Obviously wasn't an attempt to conceal her identity, the dismemberment served a much more sinister purpose.

I also think the neighbor kid innocent. Whomever did this is nuts and doesn't give a hoot about conceiling evidence. They have searched his apartment (probably several times) so I can't imagine that he would be so meticiulous as to NOT leave something of evidence. Plus this dumb kid willfully admitted to prior burglaries, he is a law student and should have known better, if he admitted to that he would likely have admitted to everything after tough grilling.

I agree that McDaniel is a problematic suspect. On the one hand, considering how few people lived in the building and how likely it is that whoever killed Giddings lived close enough to her to observe the search and police presence and dump the remains quickly without seeming out of place at the scene. Also, I am gonna make a bet that the items he burglarized from neighbors were intimate items, likely panties. What else would grab the attention of police as not possibly belonging to him?
If he's a panty thief, well, that doesn't bode well. On the other hand, they have turned his apartment upside down and so far the only thing they can charge him with is burglary of other neighbors, not Giddings. I also agree that if he was so easy to crack about the burglary he'd be easy to crack in general, however, many liars will reveal a small offense in order to appear to be honest about and innocent of a greater offense so we may be looking at that.
If only the media would get on this case, we'd know more, it's insane how little we're hearing, Casey Anthony case or no. Hell, I am obsessively following the Anthony case and have made friends with several of the lawyers involved [not counsel but people like Mark NeJame] due to my obsession but I'm still scouring the internet for any news I can get on the Giddings case! :banghead:

I too have been wondering why this case hasn't received much publicity. Especially from Nancy grace who is usually all over cases like this, and if I'm not mistaken she graduated from Mercer University...

That's why I feel like this crime has shades of the Richard Trenton Chase murders.

Okay had to look him up as I did not recall the name. You are right, that is my impression too. When I started reading the True Crime write-up I realized I did hear of this Chase guy before. He went around "trying front doors and if the door was locked it meant he wasn't welcome". Yes definitely remember reading about that before!

Initially based on her associates (law students) I really thought maybe someone she knew (a sociopathic fellow student perhaps) got really really mad and was making a rather gruesome point.

It makes the email more of a mystery, was her apartment randomly targeted by Macon thugs 2 days earlier as she suggested? Surely a crazy killer would not have thought about sending the email saying she was afraid right before she disappeared.

I still don't get why the guy that received the email did nothing (saw some interview where he tried to call her several times and there was no answer...but still 5 days of nothing). I still do not get why she didn't inform neighbors or local friends or the police about the break in attempt.

Any thoughts on the meaning of that email? If the email is real, if she really was afraid, why tell no one and why was she taken with what appears to be no struggle or signs of forced entry? If you think someone is trying to break in the first thing you might do is take back the outside hidden key that apparently many others were aware of! Hiding a key outside is a sign of feeling comfy, not a sign of someone that feels paranoid. Even if realistically you don't expect a burglar to find the key you still don't feel comfy anymore and you remove it (and pester the landlord, or give the key to a friend, if you get locked out).

The email suggests she was scared and on guard yet evidence suggests she was not.

I too have been wondering why this case hasn't received much publicity. Especially from Nancy grace who is usually all over cases like this, and if I'm not mistaken she graduated from Mercer University...

I doubt NG will be doing any coverage on anyone or anything but the Anthony trial until the verdict is read. With the exception of doing a short clip maybe.

Yeah I live in Florida and found out about it only on WS

The torso still had to get where it was found somehow. Unless Lauren was dismebered in her own residence, someone had to take her out, cut up the body, and then put the part/parts where ever they wound up. If the person did not intentially take the torso back to where she lived, I would think the killer lived in that immediate area and maybe he dropped it or something.

The police are basically saying THEY did not see it the first time, but they really do not think it is possible that they would have missed it when they were looking in that area. Plus unless the body was tightly wrapped up in plastic or in a drum or something I am sure there would be evidence on the ground (seepage, insect activity, etc...) that would make it clear if it were there for days.

It does not make sense for the killer to be away from the scene and then bring the body back 5 days later. It is just too risky as they would have no idea what they were walking into, plus it sort of ruins the "message" theory and instead implies someone wanted to hold on to the body for 5 days.

This story only seems to be getting local coverage. Even the Atlanta Journal Constitution (1.5 hours away) only has 2 small stories on it.

Exactly my previous point!

This suggests that we don't have some schizophrenic running around killing and dismembering bodies, we have a person that is highly organized and intelligent that is taunting police and public, AND is very close to the investigation...to know when the cops were coming to dump the body.
Since we have had no statement on the actual condition of the body, meaning was it decomposing or recently dead? The kidnapper could have held Lauren for days for all we know and killed her the morning of the search. Until we have some sort of timeline for the death itself, we're just speculating on her time of death and assuming that it was sometime Saturday. Will be interesting when or if they release time of death.

I think it's shutdown news wise because of the university. Remember the mass exodus of students down in Gainsville? St. Louis University is smack in the middle of the hood and in the most dangerous city in the nation and you don't hear a peep about any of the crimes. I know this as my daughter actually goes there. During parents day, they take the parents and tell them about "safety" but they don't tell you what really goes on AT ALL.

I did hear they were removing the bathtub from her apartment, likely testing it for blood beneath the surfaces.

I sort of wonder if they're doing this because of a strong reaction from Luminol in that area.

The dismemberment could've possibly been done in her tub to get rid of the blood and to make the body easier to move out of the apartment to another location in a concealed manner, as opposed to attempting to move an entire body in one piece.

I think you're likely right about the necrophilia and/or cannibalism. Another motive for the dismemberment could've been to make the body fit inside the killer's refrigerator so he could keep it longer.

Sorry haven't read since my last post so pardon if repeat of now known facts.

Just left my friend's house which is extremely close to the discovery scene. Little talk of it at a well attended gathering. But did converse with 2 folks who were there for the investigation into the wee hours (the homeowner & neighboor.) What I believe they think is true (some obvious):

Head missing

Partially frozen parts found in trash cans throughout neighborhood

MickyD's knife collection

MickyD's tub & parts of plumbing removed as evidence.

Apt below either LG or MickyD empty & maybe involved. (freezer?)

Again, all hearsay. Would love to share some other stuff but would still compartmentalize it as full rumor, not just partial ;)

Wait, I forgot one:

MickyD had a master key to the apts. (yup, accepted as fact by those who talked to authorities.)

I was trying to "read" McD from that interview; I can't tell if he acts so nervous because he's guilty or if he's just somewhat awkward socially.

The possible placement of the torso after the initial search but just before LE arrived is truly bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli