GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just does not make sense that there is some random serial killer now in downtown Macon. Too bizarre. I do not want the kid to be guilty but I just do not see another viable suspect. Macon does have "hoodlums" but for something of this magnitude it has just got to be on a more personal level. I really hope it can be solved soon. I'm originally from here, have a lot of family here, and Macon does not need this negative publicity!

I explained how I viewed this video earlier. I did see this early, early on before they chopped it up and made it the short version everyone has seen. But, this time I looked at it more analytically. When I broke down how he processed the information, I even explained how his mannerisms changed by what I viewed.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6967465&postcount=349

I saw someone ask for someone to psychologically evaluate this info. Well, since I just finished doing another eval on a patient here at work, I figured I might be a good one to do that. I have evaluated about 20 different people in the last 3 nights. My job is to make that determination on the fly, based on all the observations of behaviors and affect and what past history we can find and a ton of other things. I have tried to use those skills in what I can find out about SM. That is why I am hesitant to condemn him. I am not seeing the proof in the pudding.

Thank you for that.

All I can say is I hope they have some really strong physical evidence back from the FBI if they are going to charge this young man. Because based on this interview alone, no way would I as a juror ever find him guilty.

I was also happy to see this show up.
Although, I can't help but think it hurts him more than it helps him.
I've yet to see/hear any indication that they were even remotely "close".
Being upset that your neighbor was killed is understandable, but he just shows
far too much emotion than is warranted.
When he hears of the body being found, it looks like he almost fainted.
Like all the blood rushed out of his extremities - like major fear/panic.
And did you notice he never once asked the first question you would
expect someone in this scenario to ask... "Where?"

It would be great if someone with expertise in psychology or reading
body language could give there take on these.

Welcome ~SuperSleuth~ :seeya:

I agree with you. After he is told Lauren's body was found, it looks like his legs are buckling.

He also says in reply to the question does he think it may be Lauren- well if they found "it" on the property-. May not be his exact wording but he does say "it". I dunno, just little things jump out.

Funny how we can all watch the same thing and have such different conclusions.

As for not asking, "Where?", I believe the interviewer had just told him where, and he probably gained more information off camera between those two segments.

At 10:44, near the end of the 3rd part, the reporter asks:
"Now, they haven't confirmed - at least not with us - that it was Lauren
that they found. Are you holding out any hope right now?"

He responds:
"I hope, but... if they found it on the property somewhere..."

Remember:
- He was there that morning when they bused him and the other
friends down to the department for questioning.
- He was there the night before... looked all over with the friends, as
well as in her apartment.
- In the first segment, the reporter only said "in the parking lot area".

Don't you think that by now he would want to know "where"?

I also find his use of "it" in his response interesting.
Not "if they found her", but "if they found it".
As in, "the torso"... No one has said anything about dismemberment at
this point. So, if he's that close to her and emotionally distraught
over her apparent death (which he still hasn't confirmed), why would he
refer to her found body as "it" and not "her"?

idk if Stephen is guilty or not...

but in the video i could kinda see that maybe he got really scared/frustrated/shocked/ and most of all sick because they had found her body, and he didn't think they would. he thought he would get away with it, ya know? since the trash was supposed to run soon. he knew the body would be taken to the landfill, and that's why he didn't dispose of it elsewhere. maybe he held the body from when he killed her, up until the day of the trash pickup.

the video just made him look more suspicious to me.

if he did do it, i just cannot fathom why.
but maybe all the theories i previously thought far fetched may have more probability to them than i thought...

i hope i'm wrong.

Thank you for this video. I have so wanted to see it. I listened to the radio version weeks ago when it first came out, and I too am wondering why the news released this now? I too remember the reporter saying the police wanted it but they weren't going to give it up. Here IMO-this is such a telling interview. When he sits down. The way he seems to freak out or panic when talking about the body but then goes back to normalcy when not talking about the body. Also, so glad I saw this, watching McD's eyes dart back and forth and mostly go left indicates lying, http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/parts_body_language/eyes_body_language.htm
Also, again, if you are a true friend and truly concerned or in pain, you would not come back out from the AT T building after you were told the police might have found the trunk of your neighbor and interview for 20 more minutes. Remember on the FNN, how Amy Womack said most of the friends won't be interviewed by the reporters? It is because they care and are in real shock and pain. IMHO

He responds:

Remember:

Maybe inside the AT&T building he did ask and maybe folks weren't sure at that point -- didn't it take a while before WE here were sure exactly where the body was found -- there was lots of posting about that.

The "it" IS a bit disturbing, but to tell the truth, I just did the same thing in the paragraph above -- typed "it", then changed to "the body" -- and it wasn't because I am distancing myself, etc. Just language convention. When you are referencing a body and being asked questions about "a body", maybe it is not so abnormal to go with the pronoun "it"" -- especially if you ARE holding out some hope!!!

I believe that he and the others were bused to the police station before the interview started. I think that's why he was just learning about the body being found.

McD said LE took their statements at that time. I'm willing to bet that's where he said something that caught their attention. Maybe something contrary to what Lauren's friends said.

Another thing he said that struck me in that video. The email Lauren sent to DV; Kaitlyn definitively said, Lauren did not say she was scared and afraid to stay in her apartment. But McD went on and on about that.

Also what about this attempted break-in. Am I remembering correctly that McD said that happened Thursday night?

It just does not make sense that there is some random serial killer now in downtown Macon. Too bizarre. I do not want the kid to be guilty but I just do not see another viable suspect. Macon does have "hoodlums" but for something of this magnitude it has just got to be on a more personal level. I really hope it can be solved soon. I'm originally from here, have a lot of family here, and Macon does not need this negative publicity!

I think you meant to say "random Killer". Serial killer means more than one murder. I am saying this with respect.

Someone help me with evidence gathering techniques please. I don't watch TV at all so am not influenced by the crime shows. My thoughts keep returning to the items removed from the apartments, the fridge, bathtub, pipes, etc. Does it work this way? During a search, blood for example is found and verified on site that it is blood. Do they at this time take the evidence right away? Or do they have to submit their findings for validation and take the evidence after the results are back? I'm thinking that maybe LE found physical evidence in one of the apartments during their first look through maybe even before Lauren was found. Maybe they decided to bus SM and others offsite for questioning so they could analyze what they found. Maybe they were bused offsite after Lauren was found but before they announced it so that LE could observe the reactions of the bused people when these people found out that Lauren had been found. Is this too far out there?

McD said LE took their statements at that time. I'm willing to bet that's where he said something that caught their attention. Maybe something contrary to what Lauren's friends said.

Another thing he said that struck me in that video. The email Lauren sent to DV; Kaitlyn definitively said, Lauren did not say she was scared and afraid to stay in her apartment. But McD went on and on about that.

Also what about this attempted break-in. Am I remembering correctly that McD said that happened Thursday night?

he said the email said it happened Thursday night, yes

Having never laid eyes on McD before the first time I watched the interview earlier this month, I have no frame of reference to gauge whether his reactions are normal for him. Seeing it again, however, my initial reaction holds. His speech and mannerisms appear affected and disingenuous.

The other point I find troubling, as I've mentioned before, is the fact that a law school graduate -- one who worked in the district attorney's office no less -- upon learning that LG's body had been discovered would know that as a potential witness, it was highly inappropriate to continue talking with the reporters. Yet, even after a twenty minute break which allowed him time to collect his thoughts and compose himself, he returned to offer details of the friends' search, including their names, the condition of the apartment, and the contents of the e-mail. Not to mention, for an individual jolted by a shocking revelation, his recall is pretty amazing.

He responds:

Remember:

The reporter tells him in the first segment that the body was found in the parking lot area. The parts of the interview you quote are later in time. He already knows where by that point. He knows "parking lot area" from the first part of the interview, and who knows what he discovered in between segments? I think his only meaning in the part you quoted is, "Let's be real. LG is missing. If they found a body somewhere on this property, where she lives, chances are pretty good it's her".

As for calling a dead body "it"... I actually do not find that strange at all.

Having never laid eyes on McD before the first time I watched the interview earlier this month, I have no frame of reference to gauge whether his reactions are normal for him. Seeing it again, however, my initial reaction holds. His speech and mannerisms appear affected and disingenuous.

The other point I find troubling, as I've mentioned before, is the fact that a law school graduate -- one who worked in the district attorney's office no less -- upon learning that LG's body had been discovered would know that as a potential witness, it was highly inappropriate to continue talking with the reporters. Yet, even after a twenty minute break which allowed him time to collect his thoughts and compose himself, he returned to offer details of the friends' search, including their names, the condition of the apartment, and the contents of the e-mail. Not to mention, for an individual jolted by a shocking revelation, his recall is pretty amazing.

But Bessie, on the part I've bolded: Judging by that same yardstick -- as a recent law school graduate who worked in the DA's office, etc. -- if he did the crime, wouldn't he know it was highly dangerous to his cover to do so?

Maybe he just can't be measured by that yardstick -- innocent or guilty. Maybe he is really different, in some of the ways that have been proposed on here.

IMO that interview does seem to be rolling from a different angle than what we originally said.. But that could easily be why this video wasn't posted til last night because it was shot on another news medias cam.. And then when they went public with it on their site Michelle news site could then post it to their news site since it was now public.. Just some thoughts definitely not stating any of that as fact..

His reaction when the words are spoken about body being found IMO says it all.. When he said he thought he needed to sit down I absolutely 100% believe that he did need to sit down.. Due to his life, his future, all of his hard work.. Just like that was jerked out from under him with Lauren's body being discovered..

When sitting on the curb he's head bowed and shaking his head.. I think in that instance he knew it was all downhill in spiraling downward to this life that he had known just moments ago before the discovery.. It was all over but the crying and IMO Stephen McDaniel knew in that very instant without a doubt that it was all over..

Jmo, opinions but I must say that at this point I feel very strongly that McD is the perp.. For many of the same reasons a couple of members posted earlier upthread including the gut instinct..

Also this website rings true about eyes and body language http://www.ehow.com/how_5196599_able-tell-someone-lying.html

I totally agree unthread where it was mentioned that LG's sis said that email never said she was scared, but McD harps on this.

And Bessie thank you for mentioning disingeniuous. On the radio, it might have sounded almost like real concern but seeing his expressions seem acted out.

Another thing I noticed in this latest video, that I didn't think much about when I watched the radio station version:

SM says the friends called the boyfriend & the boyfriend hadn't heard from her. Did the boyfriend not tell her friends he had gotten that e-mail from her? In talking about the e-mail, SM just says she sent it to a friend in Atlanta, not the boyfriend in Atlanta.

Does that make sense?

In other words, if they contacted the boyfriend, wouldn't you think he said something along the lines of, "She sent me an e-mail Sat. night, but I haven't heard anything else from her"? So then why would SM just say the e-mail was sent to a "friend"?

Especially the Detective's name ... When asked if that was Lauren's car in the p-lot, he popped his name out quickly. Like I said little things ...

You know what I can't fathom? He was with the friends trying to find her in the wee hours of the morning. If he killed her & had to get rid of her torso after the friends left, why would he place her in the trash can right outside the apartment when he HAD to know LE would start swarming those apartments anytime?

If he had the nerve to take her body out & place it in the trash, not knowing who was watching, why wouldn't he have just put her in his car & drove somewhere away (like the river, a few blocks away)? Doesn't make sense.
Unless the perp is a skilled, cold-blooded killer, murder and dismemberment are irrational acts. We can't expect all of the facts to make sense. Paranoia, disgust, revulsion at his own act could cause the killer to panic, to want to be rid of it. Make it go away. I think it was Angelanalyzes who used the term "sloppy", and imo, it seems an apt description.

And also, if they found her body because of the smell, why wouldn't the smell have been in his apartment or whichever apt. he was "hiding" her in? Wouldn't that smell have permeated there, too?
Not necessarily if the remains were quickly refrigerated or frozen.

to Jessicaleanne1992 re: "if he did do it, i just cannot fathom why."

No sense can be made of taking life, but it happens every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Graham_Skeeter