GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he will ever enter a plea or tell anyone where the remaining body parts are, even if they offer to take the death penalty off the table, because then he'd have to admit to his family that he did it. That will probably be the hardest thing for him to do, even harder than admitting it in court or to her family.

I don't think he will ever enter a plea or tell anyone where the remaining body parts are, even if they offer to take the death penalty off the table, because then he'd have to admit to his family that he did it. That will probably be the hardest thing for him to do, even harder than admitting it in court or to her family.

ITA, his Mother fervently believes in his innocence.

One thing that nags at me. McD's Mother and Father are raising five children ranging in age from 10 to 3. That's a tough job under normal circumstances, let alone when faced with a horrible situation like this. I hope they have a good support network.

Those were my exact thoughts as I watched the video of his mom. I also think that what some read as a "smug" expression might be an effort to keep a stiff upper lip for his parents' sake.

Smooth, remember what angelanalyzes discussed about Mcds weight gain in wierd areas and a side effect from Rx drugs? Very solid point you make.

I heard from a very reliable source from Lilburn who grew up around McD; that he has always been spooky, and in highschool they were really concerned about his wellbeing.

So, I do not doubt he might have shown instability at Mercer Undergrad. I think we need to start talking about these red flags. Look at the VT killing spree,there were red flags for that students well.

I'm not sure who you're speaking of specifically, but I do know some individuals are reluctant to drag out all the dirt before a suspect is charged. Suppose these people had spoken out earlier, adding to the picture of a deranged killer only to have LE later clear him of all suspicion. Wouldn't that have been unfair? Wouldn't it have made the ordeal so much worse for him, and added to the difficulty of moving forward in his life? I've seen this in many similar situations, and it's often respect that causes people to refrain from speaking out prematurely.

This is what I was speaking about. People who 'grew up' around him suddenly coming forward with their stories. I would think people who knew him would have been posting everywhere from the beginning about the creepy boy next door if those types of comments were true. The fact they are now choosing to make comments looks like they are wanting attention. I am not meaning justiceforlauren, I meant the people coming forward now with comments. If they believed it, they would have been posting comments all along about what he did in middle school, or how he did something one summer, or whatever. Since those people didn't do it earlier, I take it with a grain of salt.

That doesn't mean he is innocent. It just means those things most likely are not truthful. Anyone can look back and suddenly decide to create a new image of someone, especially if it might get you a shot on TV.

I hope the evidence is full and complete with no holes in it. If he is the guy, I want him to pay. And I hope he is the guy. No more doubts once he is convicted. Macon may not be very safe, but it will be safer than it was when this killer was loose.

Colonel Mustard I agree.. Even if it is to save him from the death penalty I, too feel that he will not be able to accept a plea bargain that in exchange for his telling the location(s) of her remains that the state will take the death penalty off the table.. Not because of his guilt and shame of admitting it before the court, not because of his guilt and shame of admitting it to her family.. But only for the sole reason of not being able to admit it to his family, who he knows without a doubt wants and is believing in his his innocence..

Sadly I feel as tho there is where his family must have to find it within themselves to ATLEAST come to terms and ATLEAST accept that it is possible that their son is guilty.. What I mean by this is that if they care for Lauren's family and truly want to see justice on her behalf then they must ATLEAST go to their son face to face and tell him that they are there for him and are going to love him no matter what.. TRULY NO MATTER that they will still love him and that they want to believe him and will stand by him if he is innocent.. BUT THAT THEY WANT HIM TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND IF HE IS SOMEHOW INVOLVED IN HOWEVER THIS NIGHTMARE HAPPENED THAT HE MUST.. THAT HE MUST GRANT THIS FAMILY THE ONLY THING THEY ARE PLEADING FOR, THE ONLY THING THEY HAVE LEFT OF THEIR DAUGHTER, LAUREN.. THE ONE WHOM YOU SAY WAS SO VERY KIND AND FULL OF GOODNESS AND WAS YOUR FRIEND.. IF YOU ARE INVOLVED IN ANY WAY, STEPHEN PLEASE DO THIS FOR LAUREN AND HER FAMILY AND TELL THEM WHERE HER REMAINS ARE.. we will still love you, Stephen!! And we don't want to see another life lost because of this horrible nightmare.. Please do the right thing here and tell the family where Lauren is and the state will take the death penalty off of the table.. Please do not make us have to lose you to death, Stephen.. IF YOU ARE SOMEHOW INVOLVED, STEPHEN BEING THE CHRISTIAN THAT WE KNOW IN OUR HEARTS THAT YOU ARE.. YOU MUST PLEASE COME
CLEAN WITH YOUR INVOLVEMENT.. we will still love you, Stephen.. No matter what the truth is we, your family will still love you..

I know that is so much to put on his family, who are innocent victims as well.. I know that it is the most difficult thing they will ever have to do in their lives.. But honest to God I have a teenage son myself who I believe with all my heart would never be capable of such evil as what was done to Lauren.. But as a mother if my son were guilty I know I would say this to him.. If my instincts in any way were telling me my son may possibly be involved(mothers know and no matter how much I know she wants to believe he's innocent I know for a fact her motherly instincts, her intuitions have her wrestling with the worst imaginable.. I imagine she even feels guilt for having those intuitions).. But if truly a Christian family they would want their son to admit and to atleast grant this young woman's family the one plea they are begging for, their daughters remains..

I truly believe if these parents were able to do this and to ensure their son they are going to love him no matter what but that no matter how hard he's got to do the right thing at this point.. It's the only chance we've got at him confessing to ANYTHING WHATSOEVER..

This is what I was speaking about. People who 'grew up' around him suddenly coming forward with their stories. I would think people who knew him would have been posting everywhere from the beginning about the creepy boy next door if those types of comments were true. The fact they are now choosing to make comments looks like they are wanting attention. I am not meaning justiceforlauren, I meant the people coming forward now with comments. If they believed it, they would have been posting comments all along about what he did in middle school, or how he did something one summer, or whatever. Since those people didn't do it earlier, I take it with a grain of salt.

That doesn't mean he is innocent. It just means those things most likely are not truthful. Anyone can look back and suddenly decide to create a new image of someone, especially if it might get you a shot on TV.

I hope the evidence is full and complete with no holes in it. If he is the guy, I want him to pay. And I hope he is the guy. No more doubts once he is convicted. Macon may not be very safe, but it will be safer than it was when this killer was loose.
I think it's more a case of people where watching and waiting to see
if there was enough evidence for LE to charge him.
I don't think anyone from his youth "disliked" him.
If this had been the case, you might have heard comments earlier.

Edit:
Post below is a perfect example.
I doubt he was ever mean to anyone growing up, just odd.
Nobody "really" knew him.

Here are some testimonials from people who knew SM in high school. More at the link.

I do wonder if he kept his nails long at law school, and if there may have been evidence found under them in Lauren's case?

James Yount, a Parkview grad who attended services at Mountain Park First Baptist Church with McDaniel, isn't sure if McDaniel fits the profile of a murderer.

"He doesn't seem like he was that out there,” Yount said, “but you never know."

Yount said he remembers that McDaniel attended church often and that he randomly scratched people with his long fingernails.

"He was well-known for scratching people at the church," Yount said. "He was a very, very interesting fellow. He wasn't super anti-social, but he was kind of socially awkward."

"If he got mad at you, he would hiss at you," said Porter. "I even tried talking to him, and it would be OK for a few minutes, but then it would just get weird."

Another Latin class peer, Alex Hodgson, also remembered McDaniel as being odd.

"He had really long fingernails and wore biker gloves," Hodgson said, adding that McDaniel had to cut the glove tips off for his nails.

Hodgson and Porter said they both remembered McDaniel carrying a metal briefcase around Parkview. They said it contained a fantasy novel McDaniel was writing, which he claimed would "rival 'Lord of the Rings.'"

"He even made up his own elfish language," added Port.

http://lilburn.patch.com/articles/murder-charge-draws-local-reaction

Good picture of McD Those pupils look normal to me , not dilated. The close up of his fingernails however, blecch !!

Would you mind linking the picture of the close ups of SM's fingernails? I can't find them. TIA

I understand what you're saying, psychomom. That type of person is a given in any case. Some go to great lengths to insert themselves in cases just to get fifteen minutes and a tabloid headline, and they're usually full of baloney. It's not fair to lump everyone who is speaking out now into that category, though. And regardless of when personal observations about a person's character are made, they should always be taken with a grain of salt. You listen to them, filter them, compare them to the known facts, and then draw a conclusion about their credibility. In the end, it's the facts that count.

Would you mind linking the picture of the close ups of SM's fingernails? I can't find them. TIA
:eek:hdear: It's in one of today's court videos. Remember, he's been incarcerated for a month.

A letter to students attending Mercer Law for the upcoming year, can be seen at the bottom of this site, Above the Law. Some other comments regarding political persuasions of SM and his family, and also more about the emails.

A sample:

MERCER LAW SCHOOL — MEMORANDUM — LAW SCHOOL SECURITY

Dear Students,

I am writing to let you know of certain changes in building hours that go into effect starting tomorrow, August 1. Those changes and others that I will describe below are designed to help provide you with an extra measure of assurance that the law school is a place where you can study, attend classes, engage in extracurricular activities, and more without serious concern about the security of your person and property.

Not surprisingly, although Lauren Giddings’s terrible death occurred away from the law school and bore no logical relation to the level of security in the law school building or on the law school grounds, it prompted a number of students to write to me and other members of the administration urging us to think carefully about whether the law school is providing as much security as it should. I took those student expressions of concerns very seriously. Within a week of the discovery of Lauren’s death, I had had various meetings and conversations about law school security with members of the law school senior staff and faculty, a number of students here for summer school or recent graduates here studying for the bar, several alumni, the campus police chief and one of his officers, an experienced police officer for the city, and the Mercer president and members of his administration.

more at link

Gary J. Simson
Dean and Macon Chair in Law
Mercer University
School of Law
1021 Georgia Ave.
Macon, GA 31207

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/a-cl...daniel-lauren-giddings-and-mercer-law-school/

I TOTALLY agree. When I heard his Atty say that McD was pleading "not guilty" I was thinking to myself...ok...here we go. If you are pointing at the maintenance worker and the FBI and the evidence is pointing back at you...then you are making a HUGE commitment to this "not guilty" charge.

I finally agree with others that BB needs to keep quiet. WTH?

Bush: Giddings Said McDaniel was "Nice but Weird"

Giddings' bathroom has a ceramic tub and 13WMAZ's Eleanor Lissitzyn says about a foot-long series of scratches were visible on the outer edge.

They were the type of scratches that one would expect to see on a kitchen cutting board.

Police have made no statements to suggest they are relevant to the investigation, but Eleanor said the markings seemed out of place in a bathroom.

Bush also discussed Giddings' relationship with McDaniel.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/138550/175/Bush-Giddings-Said-McDaniel-was-Nice-but-Weird

Colonel Mustard I agree.. Even if it is to save him from the death penalty I, too feel that he will not be able to accept a plea bargain that in exchange for his telling the location(s) of her remains that the state will take the death penalty off the table.. Not because of his guilt and shame of admitting it before the court, not because of his guilt and shame of admitting it to her family.. But only for the sole reason of not being able to admit it to his family, who he knows without a doubt wants and is believing in his his innocence..

Sadly I feel as tho there is where his family must have to find it within themselves to ATLEAST come to terms and ATLEAST accept that it is possible that their son is guilty.. What I mean by this is that if they care for Lauren's family and truly want to see justice on her behalf then they must ATLEAST go to their son face to face and tell him that they are there for him and are going to love him no matter what.. TRULY NO MATTER that they will still love him and that they want to believe him and will stand by him if he is innocent.. BUT THAT THEY WANT HIM TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND IF HE IS SOMEHOW INVOLVED IN HOWEVER THIS NIGHTMARE HAPPENED THAT HE MUST.. THAT HE MUST GRANT THIS FAMILY THE ONLY THING THEY ARE PLEADING FOR, THE ONLY THING THEY HAVE LEFT OF THEIR DAUGHTER, LAUREN.. THE ONE WHOM YOU SAY WAS SO VERY KIND AND FULL OF GOODNESS AND WAS YOUR FRIEND.. IF YOU ARE INVOLVED IN ANY WAY, STEPHEN PLEASE DO THIS FOR LAUREN AND HER FAMILY AND TELL THEM WHERE HER REMAINS ARE.. we will still love you, Stephen!! And we don't want to see another life lost because of this horrible nightmare.. Please do the right thing here and tell the family where Lauren is and the state will take the death penalty off of the table.. Please do not make us have to lose you to death, Stephen.. IF YOU ARE SOMEHOW INVOLVED, STEPHEN BEING THE CHRISTIAN THAT WE KNOW IN OUR HEARTS THAT YOU ARE.. YOU MUST PLEASE COME
CLEAN WITH YOUR INVOLVEMENT.. we will still love you, Stephen.. No matter what the truth is we, your family will still love you..

I know that is so much to put on his family, who are innocent victims as well.. I know that it is the most difficult thing they will ever have to do in their lives.. But honest to God I have a teenage son myself who I believe with all my heart would never be capable of such evil as what was done to Lauren.. But as a mother if my son were guilty I know I would say this to him.. If my instincts in any way were telling me my son may possibly be involved(mothers know and no matter how much I know she wants to believe he's innocent I know for a fact her motherly instincts, her intuitions have her wrestling with the worst imaginable.. I imagine she even feels guilt for having those intuitions).. But if truly a Christian family they would want their son to admit and to atleast grant this young woman's family the one plea they are begging for, their daughters remains..

I truly believe if these parents were able to do this and to ensure their son they are going to love him no matter what but that no matter how hard he's got to do the right thing at this point.. It's the only chance we've got at him confessing to ANYTHING WHATSOEVER..

You are absolutely 100% correct, IMO. I believe his mother is probably the only person who can give him "permission" to admit it to her as you have stated above. If she lets him know that she knows he didn't do it intentionally and that it was a mistake - a situation that just got out of hand, he may feel free to tell everything - but only then. Otherwise, he must maintain his innocence to keep from disappointing his family. He was the one in their family who was supposed to accomplish big things and now it's all over for him, his career, their hopes for him, etc. My heart does go out to his mother and the rest of his family, but I also hope she realizes that she holds the key to ending this horrible nightmare. Lauren's family deserves better.

I wonder if the parents have now gotten a confession out of him.
Parents have a way, you know.
Could be another reason why some family members that were so vocal have gone silent.

IMO I seriously doubt he has confessed to his parents.
It stands out in my mind that he could have called them during the time he has been in jail and he did not. My guess is he is distancing himself from family now that he has been charged.

As far as the family members going silent .... whoa, they are in shock and distress.
Their lives have been turned up side down too.
They are nonplussed!

I know that is so much to put on his family, who are innocent victims as well.. I know that it is the most difficult thing they will ever have to do in their lives.. But honest to God I have a teenage son myself who I believe with all my heart would never be capable of such evil as what was done to Lauren.. But as a mother if my son were guilty I know I would say this to him.. If my instincts in any way were telling me my son may possibly be involved(mothers know and no matter how much I know she wants to believe he's innocent I know for a fact her motherly instincts, her intuitions have her wrestling with the worst imaginable.. I imagine she even feels guilt for having those intuitions).. But if truly a Christian family they would want their son to admit and to atleast grant this young woman's family the one plea they are begging for, their daughters remains..I truly believe if these parents were able to do this and to ensure their son they are going to love him no matter what but that no matter how hard he's got to do the right thing at this point.. It's the only chance we've got at him confessing to ANYTHING WHATSOEVER..

I completely agree. Look at Mark Hacking - I believe that the ONLY reason he confessed was because his parents told him that they loved him no matter what. Also, they continue today to say that they love him more now than ever. Finally they know the real Mark - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

IMO I seriously doubt he has confessed to his parents.
It stands out in my mind that he could have called them during the time he has been in jail and he did not. My guess is he is distancing himself from family now that he has been charged.

As far as the family members going silent .... whoa, they are in shock and distress.
Their lives have been turned up side down too.
They are nonplussed!
Hmm...I'd be inclined to agree if we hadn't heard his allegations about the "real killer". If that story really came from him, and he still maintains it's true, then I think his faculties and his familial ties are still intact.

ETA: I'll have to search for the link, Sandstorm, but I'm pretty sure I read just recently that his parents have visited him in jail, though he's only called his lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member