GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
An arrest warrant issued late Tuesday charging McDaniel with murder says police recovered a hacksaw at the Barristers Hall apartment complex where he and Giddings were next-door neighbors. The warrant says investigators also found the saw’s packaging material inside McDaniel’s apartment.

Subsequent tests on the hacksaw by FBI experts revealed traces of Giddings’ DNA, according to a law enforcement officer familiar with the warrant.

“From what I know, (the slaying) seems that it had to be planned,” Bill Giddings said. “The cover-up was extensive. ... I think we know a lot and can prove a lot.”

This is well organized, great writing, however, the bolded parts of your post confuse me. Maybe the rest of his family, in time, can come to the truth? They cannot conceive that he actually, literally and with his hands, committed this heinous crime? Stephen knew it was all over; that he had been caught?

There has been no trial. Charged does not mean guilty and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. I love that part of it, especially if I was accused of something I may not have done. I bet you would want that too if you were accused of something you may not have done, as well. It's just the best way to operate. That's why it's called the justice system.

Sandstorm post:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011 - #5

Missinglovedones, I understand your concerns.
However, when you read my post please try to understand that this post is merely my feelings, thoughts, and emotions.
I was not under oath in a court of law when I wrote this.

At the onset of this crime, I did presume that Stephen was innocent but as the information was released from LE, my thinking changed.

LE, too, believes he murdered Lauren due to the evidence they have collected. That is why Stephen has been charged with the murder of Lauren.

I do believe that his family, especially his mother, will never accept the truth IF he is convicted of this crime.
I have a difficult time believing it myself and I do not even know him.

You underlined this statement:

What a deeper plunge into the hearts of her family if the person who took Lauren's life and dismembered her was never charged.

Absolutely true.

If Lauren were your daughter and the killer walked free, how much more painful do you think that would be in your heart of hearts?

Missinglovedones, as awful as it is and as much as I regret that this crime happened, I do think Stephen is guilty.
I do have the right to have an opinion.
And that is why my post says what it does.

You say, "he may not have done it",
And I say, "he may not have, but I THINK he did."

Since those statements are merely our opinions, we will both wait for the justice system to tell the tale.

First time I've seen this. A few weeks ago, I spent hours and hours searching for evidence of McD's interest in theatre at Mercer and couldn't turn up a thing. It's probably irrelevant, just a little piece to something I've been putting together. And here it is.

[Glenda McDaniels] During his time at Mercer, McDaniel participated in drama activities and played violin in a strings ensemble.

I know they always say murderers always leave something behind that implicates them...but packaging to the murder instrument? Really?

Oh my Lord.. Tears streaming my face reading Bill Giddings words of how he had to learn that he couldn't identify his daughter, he couldn't see her body, and why were they having to ask him for a DNA swab of his mouth.. He didn't understand.. Finally the chief cleared the room of the other male family members of Lauren's family and said he wanted to speak to him father to father.. Chief Burns with tears steaming his face had to explain to this daddy that his daughter was dismembered..

It's heart wrenching beyond words.. My God what this family is experiencing and the pain that extends from the ripple effect is of great magnitude..

An arrest warrant issued late Tuesday charging McDaniel with murder says police recovered a hacksaw at the Barristers Hall apartment complex where he and Giddings were next-door neighbors. The warrant says investigators also found the saw’s packaging material inside McDaniel’s apartment.

Subsequent tests on the hacksaw by FBI experts revealed traces of Giddings’ DNA, according to a law enforcement officer familiar with the warrant.

“From what I know, (the slaying) seems that it had to be planned,” Bill Giddings said. “The cover-up was extensive. ... I think we know a lot and can prove a lot.”

Thinking a little more on this...
It doesn't actually saw the saw itself was found in his apartment, just the packaging.
But, even if the saw itself was there too - with Lauren's blood/DNA on it....
I still couldn't "convict" him, since this could have been planted by the killer.
Probably not... I still feel he's the one, but.... need more.

I'd be willing to bet that hacksaw with it's packaging materials still in the apt will be on McDaniel's recent Wal Mart purchase list..

Thinking a little more on this...
It doesn't actually saw the saw itself was found in his apartment, just the packaging.
But, even if the saw itself was there too - with Lauren's blood/DNA on it....
I still couldn't "convict" him, since this could have been planted by the killer.
Probably not... I still feel he's the one, but.... need more.

Poster on macon.com comments' on one story says saw was found in "the apartment", then adds that packaging material was found in SM's apartment, as though by "the apartment" he might mean LAUREN'S?? but who knows? Perhaps poster just meant the complex, as well... and it does seem that maybe poster read the account.

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/03/1653138/mcdaniel-charged-in-giddings-slaying.html#storylink=misearch

I'd be willing to bet that hacksaw with it's packaging materials still in the apt will be on McDaniel's recent Wal Mart purchase list..
You'd think he would have bought anything that was to be used for this with cash.
Maybe surveillance video shows it?

Are y'all getting from this that the reporter was probably allowed to look at the warrant but that it won't be released, a copy made available to media, etc. because it's being sealed? Just want to make sure I'm interpreting correctly...

edited to add: or maybe this was leaked...maybe intentionally?
http://www.macon.com/2011/08/04/1654381/warrant-hacksaw-packaging-found.html
...according to a law enforcement officer familiar with the warrant.
Sounds like they were told this, but didn't actually view the warrant.
I would think it would be made public, but maybe only after some time...
May have to wait till it's presented as part of the commitment hearing.

First time I've seen this. A few weeks ago, I spent hours and hours searching for evidence of McD's interest in theatre at Mercer and couldn't turn up a thing. It's probably irrelevant, just a little piece to something I've been putting together. And here it is.

I've heard this as well, about the theatre involvement. I don't have many details - but it's one of those things I've heard having gone to Mercer, knowing other graduates, who knew people in theatre, etc. I know that's not rumor, but kind of hearsay, so I didn't post. From what I understand, there has been much surprise/shock among people who knew him then. That's probably along the lines of other things we've heard - that he was odd, but seemed harmless.

Felony Murder covers intentional and unintentional killings committed when a person cause the death of another during the commission of a felony. Most states require that it be an inherently dangerous underlying felony (I'm not sure on Georgia's rule there). In Georgia, it appears that felony murder requires a penalty of death or life imprisonment, so it doesn't seem the prosecution is losing anything by charging McD with felony murder instead of something else. According to the GA law I see here: http://law.onecle.com/georgia/16/16-5-1.html, it doesn't appear that Georgia differentiates murder by degrees at all.

Thus, regardless of the type of murder that McD is charged with, the case will develop the same way. I do wonder what the underlying felony here is... rape? burglary? kidnapping?

I have wondered if it might be kidnapping ...

That was a little tongue-in-cheek.

I am telling you....I think he did it, but his mom popping her head out of her door, broken down by the news ..saying that no matter what, Lauren would always be Stephen's friend....it makes me sad.
Now, that my friends, was a genuine moment. I REALLY believe that she believes in him.

I watched the video of Ms McDaniel. I feel so sad for her.

Absolutely, unequivocally, his mother will believe in his innocence until her dying day.
No matter what the evidence or proof she will look at him and he will say, "Mama, I did not do it.'
That is all she will need to believe he is innocent,
She will never accept it. IMO

This is what I wrote yesterday when she was heavy on my mind and heart:
And then there is Stephen’s poor heartbroken Mother.
She will never believe the son she adores, her handsome young 'lawyer - son', could do this regardless of what evidence and proof is shown to her. She will always be convinced that this was a ‘set up’, some sort of bad mistake, a mix up, and that her son is completely innocent. Maybe the rest of his family, in time, can come to the truth, but I seriously doubt his Mother ever will.

Oh my Lord.. Tears streaming my face reading Bill Giddings words of how he had to learn that he couldn't identify his daughter, he couldn't see her body, and why were they having to ask him for a DNA swab of his mouth.. He didn't understand.. Finally the chief cleared the room of the other male family members of Lauren's family and said he wanted to speak to him father to father.. Chief Burns with tears steaming his face had to explain to this daddy that his daughter was dismembered..

It's heart wrenching beyond words.. My God what this family is experiencing and the pain that extends from the ripple effect is of great magnitude..

What breaks my heart about this - and always has - is what this family must be going through. And the thing is, as details emerge, it's only going to get worse, I fear.

The phrase that just unsettles me every time is "in the trash." From the beginning, it's been in almost every news story and I thought that I would somehow ignore it, or overtime not be affected, and each time I read an article..there it is. And then I imagine what her family must feel...knowing what must have happened, the unthinkable. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I had a friend say to me, "I don't know Lauren. I've never met her. And since this has happened, not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about her."

Again tonight, my thoughts are with the Giddings' family. The description in that article is beyond heart wrenching - Chief Burns having to break that to Mr. Giddings. I'm just at a loss for any more words after reading that.

I think the OP [Sandstorm] was writing from the perspective of "if the MPD have their man, then..." and for the purposes of this specific forum [it's called Websleuths so you're gonna have people with theories and opinions], I think that's a fair perspective. I have yet to really see anyone on this forum angrily demanding a lynching, most people are searching, upset, confused by this crime and the possible perpetrator. I would bet and hope that most of the regular posters here would not convict McDaniel at trial based on the information we have available and confirmed, but it's fair to have personal opinions in this venue IMO.

I agree with you here, and maybe it's best we all stop, take a deep breath, and remind ourselves of these things from time to time.

(I will note that, while I don't remember anyone demanding a lynching, I have seen one or two posters rather graphically verbalize what seem to be fantasies of the accused lying on a gurney with an IV in his arm. Their prerogative, though, I guess.)

I don't want to read too much into this, but I thought the words his mother used to deny his guilt were interesting.

She added, "We believe that he is innocent, because we do not believe that a Christian could murder and cut somebody's body up."
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/28750291/detail.html
Regarding Mr. Giddings, imagine how awful it must've been for him to receive the news a body was found while driving alone on the highway. And his concern about the chief's feelings was especially touching. All so incredibly sad.

I want to explore the Mercer theatre connection more. My daughter has been involved in theatre there since her freshman year. I have to wonder if he was in any of those performances in her early years. The creep factor does come in play even though we don't know all of what they have on him. I would like to think if he were that close to my child, he could never do this kind of thing. I imagine the Giddings family felt the same way. I truly pray that this is one of those hard evidence, no way to deny it, cases. I don't want it to be all wishy washy and gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member