GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen-McDaniel-In-Court-%20(7).jpg

I'd like to hear honest opinions on what some think of this picture in particular..(there is nothing right or wrong just individual's opinions).. Specifically the expression on his face..

Posting my initial reaction to the photo only........
he looks calm, almost other-worldly, almost angelic even. A hint of shock, but intelligent-looking.

Classmate Charged In Mercer Law Grad's Killing

"MACON, Ga. -- A classmate and neighbor of a recent Mercer University law school graduate has been charged with killing her.Stephen Mark McDaniel, who had been held for a month in the Bibb County jail on unrelated burglary charges, was charged on Tuesday with killing Lauren Giddings."

link: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/28750291/detail.html

From an Atlanta station - Includes video of a brief interview today with Stephen's mother, with a promise of "more to come"

Interesting. Do we know who she says the "real killer" is?

"MACON, Ga. -- A classmate and neighbor of a recent Mercer University law school graduate has been charged with killing her.Stephen Mark McDaniel, who had been held for a month in the Bibb County jail on unrelated burglary charges, was charged on Tuesday with killing Lauren Giddings."

From an Atlanta station - Includes video of a brief interview today with Stephen's mother, with a promise of "more to come"

His mom says that McD thinks he knows who the real killer....well he should have said that in his interview rather than saying that he didn't know anyone who would want to hurt her.

(bolded/underlined by me)

Hi tomkat. No disrespect was intended from my previous post.

I share your frustration with things like this. It is a tragedy, absolutely. And yes, imo, the whole world is going to hellinahandbasket, for sure. I also happen to agree with you 100% that justice was NOT served in that case, so you'll get no argument from me here on the points you made above.

Honestly, I wasn't trying to grab a tomkat by the tail or lecture you at all in the other post. I was expressing the facts over why a lot of people seem confused about how the jury in that case was unable to come to any conclusion of guilt simply based on the fact that they had no idea HOW or WHEN or WHERE the child died.

(The following is not specifically addressing you, so don't feel it's another lecture. I'm just typing what crosses my mind, but not to anyone in particular.)

The jury was not required to know, but without knowing HOW/WHEN/WHERE she died, they couldn't move forward with deciding if the defendant was guilty on the charges that had to do with the death of the child. The wording of the criteria they must use to determine guilt on each crime required the jury to be sure beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was guilty of killing the child, but when several jurors explained their thought process, they explained that they could not convict because no matter what they thought, they had to be able to match their verdict with the criteria required for THAT crime. They could not match a guilty verdict with the criteria required for any crime that involved the death of the child because in order to do so, they had to be sure CASEY ANTHONY was responsible. They needed more info. They didn't know how. They didn't know when. They didn't know where. If they had gone with a guilty verdict on Murder in the First, they would have to have been able to justify that from the evidence and know what it was that convinced them that Casey Anthony was responsible for murder, child abuse, etc. They had NO IDEA because nothing was proven to them.

The crimes that the defendant was accused of were unable to be pinned on her because when they sat down in that jury room and went over each charge and went down the list of what they had to know (beyond a reasonable doubt) in order to go with that charge, they quickly realized that their hands were tied. The jurors felt confused, as well. Why? Well, mainly because most people don't realize that a juror can't sit down with a pre-conceived notion and just run with that to convict someone. There are rules for the jury to follow and criteria to be met to justify what they decide.

See, that's the stuff Nancy Grace won't tell ya. She's just there to entertain, not educate.

I know, I've heard it all. Both sides of the spectrum. I really dont' care. I am tired of the injustice.

I do not particularly like Nancy Grace's version of Jerry Springer either :floorlaugh:

I know you were voicing your opinion as you are entitled, sorry if I seemed rude.

Posting my initial reaction to the photo only........
he looks calm, almost other-worldly, almost angelic even. A hint of shock, but intelligent-looking.

Calm and removed. Dissociative..........Split/Multiple personality? Though he sure knows how to act in different situations. Nope, just a psychopath.

Hi Smooth!

I haven't been following this case at all, but plan to catch up. Glad to see a suspect has been arrested. From the perspective of someone with no knowledge of this suspect and just based on the photo, my first impression was that this guy looks "at peace". Secondly, I thought it odd that someone sitting in an orange jumpsuit and being accused of murder would look so serene.

Interesting. That's the first time I've heard that he was in the Atlanta Boy Choir.

His mom says that McD thinks he knows who the real killer....well he should have said that in his interview rather than saying that he didn't know anyone who would want to hurt her.

Whether innocent or guilty, like the rest of us he's had some time to think about it now.

I have just heard the news, and have caught up on the thread. I have many thoughts and questions, but, I will wait until after the presser for most of my questions.
A few I have now are:

7. Now that SM has been formally charged, is the discussion about his possibly nefarious hobbies, such as knife collecting or survivalist interests open for discussion?
I've been giving thought to that question for awhile now. I do expect the scope of the discussion concerning SM's character and behavior will broaden as MSM reveals more information. Without a doubt, reporters have been sitting on information they've gathered through various sources. Now that the suspect has been charged, MSM will begin to publish some of that information as it's verified and becomes relevant. When that happens, the topic becomes okay for discussion here, as long as a link to the source can be provided. I think we've seen this happen today with mention of the sword collection.
Otherwise, the same rules apply.

• Information gleaned from personal social networking pages is off limits because we don't link to those sources.
  • Rumors and comments posted in the "Comments" sections following news articles can be mentioned, but not copied-and-pasted. Paraphrase and provide a link with the date and time posted so others can find it. Use initials to state the poster's handle. Ex: "On 08-03, at 11pm, TS posted that...", then paraphrase.
  • Family members and friends are off limits unless they are mentioned in MSM, and then they can only be discussed within the context of the article. More plainly, we do not "sleuth" personal information about family members and friends, and then bring our findings to the forum.
  • Minors are completely and totally off limits in this case!
  • Rumors have been a gray area because we have so many locals posting. Like I said the other night, if you've heard something that is relevant, and you believe it's credible, and you know the source, it's probably okay as long as you state very clearly that it's a rumor. But if it's something your neighbor told you, and she heard it from her co-worker, who heard it from her sister's boyfriend's aunt, who heard it at the beauty shop -- probably not.
  • Posts are monitored on a one-by-one basis, and some things are subject to change.
Hope that helps to answer your question. As always, when in doubt, pm a mod before you post. Thanks.

ETA: See? What did I tell y'all? ;)

Whether innocent or guilty, like the rest of us he's had some time to think about it now.

That was a little tongue-in-cheek.

I am telling you....I think he did it, but his mom popping her head out of her door, broken down by the news ..saying that no matter what, Lauren would always be Stephen's friend....it makes me sad.
Now, that my friends, was a genuine moment. I REALLY believe that she believes in him.

"Stephen is innocent, but he ran into the killer face to face on Thursday night," she told Fleischer.Glenda McDaniel said her son caught an apartment maintenance worker on Giddings' balcony at midnight two days before she vanished. Stephen McDaniel gave that man's name to the district attorney."He was given his termination notice on May 25. She was last seen on June 25. Her body was found the last day that he was officially employed at the Barrister Hall Apartments. He had master keys. He had access to all of the apartments," said Glenda McDaniel.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/28750291/detail.html

I agree, I think the smug thing is his defense mechanism.

When I was scrolling down the page and saw this comment, I totally assumed it was a reference to Chief Burns. :p

Someone needs to tell that man that facial expressions other than smirking exist...

"Stephen is innocent, but he ran into the killer face to face on Thursday night," she told Fleischer.Glenda McDaniel said her son caught an apartment maintenance worker on Giddings' balcony at midnight two days before she vanished. Stephen McDaniel gave that man's name to the district attorney."He was given his termination notice on May 25. She was last seen on June 25. Her body was found the last day that he was officially employed at the Barrister Hall Apartments. He had master keys. He had access to all of the apartments," said Glenda McDaniel.

Yeah, timing of this is suspicious to say the least.
An interesting development though.
Someone like that could actually plant evidence anywhere he likes.
I suspect he'll turn out to have solid alibi.
Never know...

I won't fault Glenda McDaniel for wanting to believe her son. He has told her a story that gives us a glimpse into his defense.

However, I think the lab results will debunk any story he creates. Not to mention, LE will hopefully be able to locate this apartment maintenance worker.

Interesting that the attempted break-in on Thursday mentioned in Lauren's email, is also when he came "face-to-face" with the unnamed maintenance worker.

Personally, I am not influenced by this revelation at all.

If this is true, I'm wondering why he didn't call the police, and what did he say to the maintenance worker?

Thanks to all who replied about the particular photo of SM.. I had to take a double take as well justiceforlauren at that one photo of the entire slideshow.. I stared at it very hard trying to find what was making me see almost a smirk, a self contained smirk, almost smug.. It stood out to me because that is not seen in any other photo or video that i have seen of SM.. That is why I wanted to just post and and ask without pointing to anything at all what were ppls opinions of his expression.. I wanted to make sure that it was what I was seeing.. So thank you to you all who gave their opinions.. As I said there is no right or wrong each has their own individual opinion.. Angelanalyzes I can see exactly what u mean by that the smugness could indeed be indicative of this facade that he is putting on..

Yes, convenient this maintenance worker who SM has named as the killer..

Funny how in all of that chattiness that day with his on cam interview he never once mentions word one of this.. And if you go back and watch the full video they(two separate reporters) repeatedly ask him in various different ways did you see anyone suspicious, did you hear anything or anyone.. Especially when speaking of that particular Thursday night of the supposed break in he is asked multiple times did he see anyone at all? Did he hear anything?? Is there anything at all that he saw or heard at any time that night????

I, too understand his mom wanting to believe this.. But it makes my blood boil that here he is blaming innocent people that are in no way involved and has no intention whatsoever helping this desperate family to recover her remains..

Keep on with the lies, Stephen! You are going to be shown for exactly what type of human being that you are.. Keep digging that hole deeper and deeper.. You'll be the only one in it when all is said and done!!

Yes, convenient this maintenance worker who SM has named as the killer..

Funny how in all of that chattiness that day with his on cam interview he never once mentions word one of this.. And if you go back and watch the full video they(two separate reporters) repeatedly ask him in various different ways did you see anyone suspicious, did you hear anything or anyone.. Especially when speaking of that particular Thursday night of the supposed break in he is asked multiple times did he see anyone at all? Did he hear anything?? Is there anything at all that he saw or heard at any time that night????

I, too understand his mom wanting to believe this.. But it makes my blood boil that here he is blaming innocent people that are in no way involved and has no intention whatsoever helping this desperate family to recover her remains..

Keep on with the lies, Stephen! You are going to be shown for exactly what type of human being that you are.. Keep digging that hole deeper and deeper.. You'll be the only one in it when all is said and done!!

This reminds me of the Karen Gregory case in Florida, where a firefighter (who is serving life in prison for her murder) claimed that a guy threatened him out on Karen's lawn the night of the murder, and that's why he didn't tell the police about this so called mystery person who killed her. I wonder if Stephen is going to use the ole "he threatened my life, and that's why I didn't say anything to the media or the police."

How convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members