GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hacksaw in the maintenance closet was alleged to be the same brand as the alleged wrapping found in the apartment. Trying to be as accurate as possible here. They have not said it is the exact same hacksaw. As a matter of fact, they completely avoided saying it was THE hacksaw that went the the wrapping. If it was bought at Walmart, then a zillion people may have the same brand.

That is why I feel HOW the wrapping was found is important. If it is lying out like it was just opened, it could mean one thing. If it is being used to keep model glue or whatever from dripping, it could mean another. If it was used to block a vent, it could mean another thing. If it was used to do some drawing on, it could mean another. We don't know right now.

I absolutely agree it looks bad, but if McD bought his hacksaw months ago, then it may not be connected at all. Or it could mean he has been planning this for months. We do not know if a different saw of the same brand was in that closet. We do not know how long that hacksaw has been in the closet. A week? 6 months? 2 years? We do not if it was used on LG or not at this point. Maybe someone cut a pipe out from under her sink getting her DNA on it during a simple repair. I don't think that is what happened, but it is a possibility. Lots more is going to have to be connected before we see a conviction.

[my emphasis]

The DNA on the hacksaw, had it come from her sink, would be so small in that case it would likely be inconclusive. If she had somehow touched the pipe under her sink at some point before the repair, it's not likely much DNA would have been left on the pipe, if any. So the blade comes into contact with the dead skin cells left on the pipe, but then the blade saws through the pipe, and the friction of that would likely displace those few skin cells. If the DNA somehow came from the inside of the drain it would be even more negligible and unlikely to transfer onto the blade. I know you weren't saying this was likely the case or anything, it's just that imho the defense will have a hell of a time explaining away the DNA innocently, especially since it's likely not mere dead skin cells they found on the blade...there is probably trace amounts of blood if the hacksaw indeed was used in the dismemberment.
I agree that it's important to know exactly where in his apartment the hacksaw packaging was found and in what way.

Macon's 13WMAZ ran a different segment of the interview with Floyd Buford on the 11 pm edition -- maybe they will add that video to the web site (it's not there yet).

This segment focused more on Stephen the person, in response to a question from the reporter. Buford said he is very intelligent, quite articulate, mentioned that he plays the violin. Asked about the reports of SM's social awkwardness, Buford first said that he "doesn't put any stock" in that, went on to say that he did not find him awkward.

I wonder if he used smcdaniel11 as any other username or in any other email address?

ETA: Nope, I just found this link, which seems to indicate that the student's email address will be the year they graduate (unless I am interpreting this incorrectly).

http://www.law.mercer.edu/it/lists

Unless he sells clothes on Ebay and posts pics of them on photobucket, nope!
icon12.gif

[my emphasis]

The DNA on the hacksaw, had it come from her sink, would be so small in that case it would likely be inconclusive. If she had somehow touched the pipe under her sink at some point before the repair, it's not likely much DNA would have been left on the pipe, if any. So the blade comes into contact with the dead skin cells left on the pipe, but then the blade saws through the pipe, and the friction of that would likely displace those few skin cells. If the DNA somehow came from the inside of the drain it would be even more negligible and unlikely to transfer onto the blade. I know you weren't saying this was likely the case or anything, it's just that imho the defense will have a hell of a time explaining away the DNA innocently, especially since it's likely not mere dead skin cells they found on the blade...there is probably trace amounts of blood if the hacksaw indeed was used in the dismemberment.
I agree that it's important to know exactly where in his apartment the hacksaw packaging was found and in what way.

It does seem unlikely that dna from that type of scenario would be detectable, I agree -- but possible, of course.

All these hacksaw/packaging questions are part of what I was talking about in an earlier thread when I said I think the evidence on the warrant may be evidence that "sounds good" on its face and has an impact but is flawed in some way with a more in-depth look, so that "sacrificing" it to the warrant while holding back any better evidence keeps the "better stuff", if there, away from the defense a bit longer.

Macon's 13WMAZ ran a different segment of the interview with Floyd Buford on the 11 pm edition -- maybe they will add that video to the web site (it's not there yet).

This segment focused more on Stephen the person, in response to a question from the reporter. Buford said he is very intelligent, quite articulate, mentioned that he plays the violin. Asked about the reports of SM's social awkwardness, Buford first said that he "doesn't put any stock" in that, went on to say that he did not find him awkward.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/139352/175/Stephen-McDaniels-Attorney-To-Hire-Investigator

It's here, posted a couple of hours ago.

Pearl made a very good point when she asked how likely it was that someone would see McD throw the hacksaw away and retrieve it.
I'd also like to know how it makes any sense that someone would know using this item would be a good way to frame McD, they would have to know somehow that he neglected to throw away the cardboard sleeve in order for it to be readily connected to him for the frame job to work.
And if he planted the sleeve in McD's apartment, how would he know that the reportedly neat and clean McD wouldn't throw it away? He'd have had to tuck it away somewhere only the police would have found after tossing McD's apartment.
And if this mastermind was meticulous enough to go through all that trouble, why the heck would he then place the hacksaw in the storage closet instead of somewhere directly connected to McD!?!?
That would be the most important element of the frame job!!! Being the resident contact, the storage closet would probably be one of the worst places to put the hacksaw if you were trying to direct attention away from yourself as the perp! Seriously, how can anyone buy into this crap even a little bit?
That would be like trying to frame someone else for murder but leaving the murder weapon in your own locker. Please.

NAILED IT. My only lingering question is whether the packaging actually belongs with the hacksaw in question.

The mother of murder suspect Stephen McDaniel thinks police have scoured her son’s belongings in search of blue and gray fibers, the same colors of trace evidence she says may have been found on his alleged victim’s body.

Glenda McDaniel said she has seen copies of search warrants police left behind when they combed her 25-year-old son’s apartment in recent weeks, sifting for clues in the slaying of Lauren Giddings.

Buford better slap a GAG order on her!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

Glenda McDaniel:

They are looking for blue and gray fibers--and BOY does my son have a lot of blue!!!!! I mean, look at that blue billabong shirt he was wearing the day her body was found!! Boy, my boy sure does love blue. And praaaaaaying. Also, he is innocent.

I know! I wonder why she isn't listening to him? From the hearing when she tried to stand up and speak, and he made hand motions to try and stop her, I'm sure he's told her that this is only hurting the case.

Can't imagine what she is going to say when/if the day comes when glaring, indisputable DNA evidence comes out...or even if he is convicted.

How does she know the color of the inside of his car would be my question?

I'm guessing McD has told her, when he told her his theory and balcony sighting. We do know, from his other interviews, that he mentions odd, specific details.

I was just about to post the very same thing. I think she will be a nightmare for whoever defends him if he goes to trial.

I just can't at her still talking to press. Holy mother, someone tell her she may be actually HURTING her son more than helping.

I wonder if he used smcdaniel11 as any other username or in any other email address?

ETA: Nope, I just found this link, which seems to indicate that the student's email address will be the year they graduate (unless I am interpreting this incorrectly).

http://www.law.mercer.edu/it/lists
Seeing as the GBI has his computer, I would expect that they would delete any online accounts
he had, and certainly remove any references/copies anywhere they could of anything important,
once they gathered everything from those accounts they needed.

I'll also say that I have seen google censor certain results
and literally block emails with certain content at LE's request.
I, personally, had an outgoing gmail message blocked which had an attached photo
of someone which LE posted briefly, then pulled from the web at the request of the U.S. Marshals.
I was able to send this photo to someone via other email accounts, but every attempt to send a message
with that particular photo attached via gmail would simply disappear and never reach it's destination.

ETA: oh, and yes I used different filenames, etc. I believe they were using image recognition.
see http://www.tineye.com/ if your curious...

I'm guessing McD has told her, when he told her his theory and balcony sighting. We do know, from his other interviews, that he mentions odd, specific details.

Hope you're right because I have visions of her feeling she needs to be an "active" part of the investigation.

Glenda McDaniel said Tuesday that she has deduced that detectives are apparently hunting items “consistent with the color of fibers on (Giddings’) body...”

She says the search warrants indicated that detectives seized “articles of clothing and towels and other items in (Stephen’s) apartment that had blue or gray fibers. And they took quite a list of items. He wears a lot of blue. ... Blue happens to be my favorite color, and if I buy a gift for him, frequently it’s blue.”

So, she's saying she thinks blue and gray fibers were found on Lauren's body, and her son just happens to have a boatload of blue. :shocked2:

Smoooottthhhh...where are you??

Glenda McDaniel said she has seen copies of search warrants police left behind when they combed her 25-year-old son’s apartment in recent weeks, sifting for clues in the slaying of Lauren Giddings.
http://www.macon.com/2011/08/10/1660459/mcdaniels-mom-police-focused-on.html

I'd like to know what LE officer would be careless enough to leave behind a copy of the search warrant.
Does this sound unrealistic to anyone else?
Is she just saying this, yet has seen the warrant somewhere else?

I'd like to know what LE officer would be careless enough to leave behind a copy of the search warrant.
Does this sound unrealistic to anyone else?
Is she just saying this, yet has seen the warrant somewhere else?

Maybe Floyd Buford has copies and has shown or told her?

She wasn't nearly as vocal early on, so he may not have realized the harm in doing so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee