GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems the DA has said he is turning states evidence but I am looking for an actual transcript of exactly what he said now as there seems to be some disagreement from attorneys and possibly GBI. Is this unusual? Can they not get the story straight from both sides?

Here is a transcript.

DA Announces Charges in Atlanta Rayshard Brooks Killing by Police Officer: Press Conference Transcript - Rev

and here goes (BBM):

So the arrest warrants have already been signed, we are asking Officer Rolfe and Officer Brosnan to surrender themselves by 6:00 PM on the morrow, because Officer Brosnan is now becoming a cooperating witness for the state. We are asking the court to grant a bond of $50,000 and to allow Officer Brosnan to sign that bond, as I indicated that he would become one of the first police officers to actually indicate that he is willing to testify or get someone in his own department.

“to get”?

so tell us, Mr. DA, how do you really feel about the police department?

Georgia Bureau of Investigation

The GBI was not aware of today’s press conference before it was conducted. We were not consulted on the charges filed by the District Attorney. Despite today’s occurrence, the GBI will complete its mission of completing an impartial and thorough investigation of this incident and we will submit the file, once completed, to the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office.

How unprofessional of the DAs office, but I'm not the least bit surprised that Howard wanted to hog the limelight today, and prematurely get ahead of the GBI investigation.

Why did he even call them to investigate if he planned to find the officer guilty in the court of public opinion before they complete their investigation?

It goes against everything the justice system stands for, imo.

Imo, by doing it the horrible way Howard did it today he needs to be brought up on ethics charges.

I missed it, but why was he allowed to lob all of these charges today.

I always thought any felony or first degree murder indictment must be rendered by a GJ?

Jmho

Until I see any footage of these later events I will refrain from judgement....I feel super skeptical about the DA at this point though. I really hope the GBI steps up and does a better investigation. I do not believe he has a solid case at all.
And you do NOT get to walk home after a DUI. That I know for a fact as I've had one or two in my lifetime. Also, police tazers are horribly brutal. A long time ago I worked at a residential correctional facility for teens...I've seen them in use when I had to call for help after attacked (we only had walkie-talkies). In fact before I was employed there, a girl died from a misfired tazer. They are deadly if used incorrectly.

I am already doubting the DA's version. And, very interested to see/hear what the 3 witnesses version of events are. I wonder if their story differs from what is clearly on cameras/ videos. Kinda like the "hands up don't shoot" witnesses. You know, the ones that build the narrative up, prior to charges...

plus, I think people really get hampered when they expect cell phone footage to be like a movie. It’s not a movie. There is no stunt coordinator blocking action; there is no director telling a cinematographer when to start filming. One person says ‘I’ve seen ‘the’ footage”; turns out they’ve seen the version of the footage that starts 30-45 seconds earlier or later than you have. Etc. nobody tells you ‘where and when the conflict portion starts’.

The taser was apparently fired once by the officer, and once by Brooks. I’m sure when someone points the freaking thing at you after fighting with you, stealing it, and running, you don’t have a lot of time to think about it.

Did they say if Brooks was hit when the tazer fired the first time?

I'm trying to find the two videos to rewatch.

I think he asked to walk to his sisters house not for a ride. I think these two officers were part of a special unit targeting dui drivers. That might explain somethings.

I doubt he would claim he has video evidence unless he actually had it and planned to use it n court. I heard that GBI was surprised he moved so fast. I also doubt that he is going to show all his evidence to the public right now. Sounds to me like he thinks he has a solid case.
So did the DA in Baltimore and we see how that worked out for them. Sounds like he is trying to save his behind and take focus off everything that's going against him right now. This is now turning into an even bigger mess than it was already.

The issue with the taser is going to trim this case. If he had a functional taser rather than one that wasn't, then the whole reasoning behind the felony murder charge is moot.

Yes, Mr Brooks used the taser on the other officer.

“During that struggle, Devin pulled out his taser and warned Mr. Brooks to stop resisting or he would be tased. Devin never actually deployed his taser. Instead, Mr. Brooks took his taser from him and Mr. Brooks used it against Devin. Devin hit his head hard on the asphalt parking lot. He later received medical treatment and was diagnosed with a concussion at Grady. Devin also has burns from the taser, and other injuries.”

11 charges, including murder, for officer who shot Rayshard Brooks; 2nd officer also charged
Sorry, and I'll fix that. Thanks.

This is an important view of the struggle from two cameras (starts over again at midpoint, from point of view of cruiser cam). Courtesy of Bloomberg Markets video channel; I’ll try to find the whole footage.

Thank you!! I was looking for the videos.

"We have also concluded that Rolfe was aware that the taser in Brooks’s possession, that it was fired twice."

I'd be interested in hearing the evidence regarding this. I must say, having read over the transcript, that I find the DA's presentation rather slanted and selective. It also appears to be less than accurate about certain aspects, like Brosnan turning state witness and the time it took for Brosnan and Rolfe to start performing first aid?

The DA said they didnt start to try and save him for two minutes. Is that evident in the video footage?

He wasn't just running away he was shooting a taser at them after assaulting them.

Once the GBI have looked at it is there then a Grand Jury?

To me its stupid of PH to say he knew the taser wasnt any longer functional.

I highly doubt the officer was standing there calmly counting to 2 when an aggressive suspect who had already assaulted him had the taser shooting at him. The barbs could have easily gone into his face, and eyes

By Howard assumption any suspect who is running away cant fire a deadly weapon backwards over their shoulder toward a police officer who was in close proximity from the suspect.

Jmho

Last edited:
I am already doubting the DA's version. And, very interested to see/hear what the 3 witnesses version of events are. I wonder if their story differs from what is clearly on cameras/ videos. Kinda like the "hands up don't shoot" witnesses. You know, the ones that build the narrative up, prior to charges...

Considering the wealth of camera footage available, I suspect eye witnesses will only play a very minor role in this case, if it ever makes it to trial. We've got the entire interaction between the police officers and mr. Brooks, the subsequent struggle, the actual shooting, and apparently of the post-shooting events as well.

What a mess.. we all pretty much knew where this was heading when the officer was fired rather than put on administrative leave while the incident was investigated. From what I have read about the presser the D.A. has painted the officers with racism without any consideration to their demeanor before Brooks resisted arrest, stole the taser, ran and fired the taser at the officer. Why aren't incidents like this automatically reviewed by independent investigators from another jurisdiction and without political ties to the community to guard against muddying the waters of finding out all the facts and relaying the facts to the public ?
IMO, the officer is going to be sacrificed to appease the Black Lives Matter and other like groups. No matter what the circumstances. Doesn't matter to them.

Considering the wealth of camera footage available, I suspect eye witnesses will only play a very minor role in this case, if it ever makes it to trial. We've got the entire interaction between the police officers and mr. Brooks, the subsequent struggle, the actual shooting, and apparently of the post-shooting events as well.
I dont know about that. I think they have something like 7 eyewitnesses. They could have seen different parts of crucial things from different angles, if they back up video evidence their testimony could be devastating. I think a lot of folks are jumping to some frankly bizarre conclusions around here, wish it didn’t surprise me...

Did they say if Brooks was hit when the tazer fired the first time?

I'm trying to find the two videos to rewatch.

Officer Rolfe had deployed his taser and held it steady in hopes the prongs would catch onto Mr. Brooks body and neutralize him. Unfortunately, that didn’t occur.”

I don’t know if it didn’t hit him or didn’t neutralize him. The other officer’s taser was used by Mr Brooks and hit officer Brosnan . I posted that info up thread. This article also alluded to the fact that Rolfe only saw the flash of the taser. After watching the struggle in the video, I don’t think Rolfe knew for sure that Mr Brooks didn’t also grab the gun, in addition to Brosnan’s taser.

11 charges, including murder, for officer who shot Rayshard Brooks; 2nd officer also charged

Last edited:
I’ll be the first to admit I don’t understand the whole “standing on his shoulders” thing.
In the transcript the officer admits to standing on his arm. Also in the transcript he will make the decision about being a state witness tomorrow. The DA didn't mention any assault on the police by Brooks. He also says they did not inform Brooks he was under arrest. DA says Brooks wasn't a threat because he was running away. DA the superior court makes the decision to indict and that would be in October I think he said, with Grand Jury possibly January. So Rolfe will be in jail for 6 months due to no bail.

Last edited:
I dont know about that. I think they have something like 7 eyewitnesses. They could have seen different parts of crucial things from different angles, if they back up video evidence their testimony could be devastating. I think a lot of folks are jumping to some frankly bizarre conclusions around here, wish it didn’t surprise me...

Having watched the surveillance video from the Wendy’s, I could see those witnesses (listed by the DA) pulled their car out of the drive-thru and park as Mr Brooks was being shot. I don’t think they could see exactly what happened afterwards. By the time you could see them pull out their phones, it was all over.
"We have also concluded that Rolfe was aware that the taser in Brooks’s possession, that it was fired twice."

I'd be interested in hearing the evidence regarding this. I must say, having read over the transcript, that I find the DA's presentation rather slanted and selective. It also appears to be less than accurate about certain aspects, like Brosnan turning state witness and the time it took for Brosnan and Rolfe to start performing first aid?

That is the thing, Rolfe’s taser WAS fired twice but Mr Brooks had Officer Brosnan’s taser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deborah_Swell