GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yep - and what is that old quote - "when good people stand by and do nothing..." -
dailymail released photos of the arson suspect
Atlanta fire chiefs release new photos of a female suspect in blaze that destroyed Wendy's | Daily Mail Online
Verifying videos of arson suspect accused of burning down Atlanta Wendy's

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are 2 arson suspects, ya? One without a mask, wearing a purple sweater around her waist, and the other, in black, including face mask? ETA: According to CNN, authorities seem to think it was these 2 women.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are 2 arson suspects, ya? One without a mask, wearing a purple sweater around her waist, and the other, in black, including face mask?
that's my understanding - 2 suspects - second ones' photo was just released (sweater around waist).
JMO
ETA - edit that it is the photo that was released - suspects have not been identified

Last edited:
that's my understanding - 2 suspects - second one was just released (sweater around waist).
JMO

Although I'd read both articles, I was initially confused, thinking they were one and the same, but captured at different times.

Protesters with AR-15s turn up to Rayshard Brooks' memorial as sheriff says cops were 'justified' | Daily Mail Online

Has this been posted?

Summary

• Brooks' family on Monday called on demonstrators to refrain from violence
  • An autopsy found that Brooks, 27, was shot twice in the back late Friday by a white officer who was trying to arrest him after he was found drunk in his car
  • Brooks tried to flee after wrestling with officers, grabbing a stun gun from one
  • Images from the scene Tuesday show protesters at the scene with guns
  • Brooks' killing rekindled protests following the death of George Floyd
  • But one black Georgia sheriff has said the shooting was 'completely justified'
  • 'There's nothing malicious or sadistic', sheriff Alfonzo Williams told CNN
Brooks' killing rekindled those protests following the death of Floyd on May 25. The Wendy's restaurant where Brooks was shot by Officer Garrett Rolfe was burned down over the weekend.

29699408-8430269-image-a-72_1592371854110.jpg

+22
A man armed with a rifle stands guard Tueaday at the memorial that has grown around the Wendy's restaurant that was set on fire after Rayshard Brooks was killed
29700724-8430269-image-a-105_1592372593857.jpg

+22
The fatal shooting of Brooks, a black man, by a white police officer in Atlanta has poured more fuel on the raging US debate over racism, prompting another round of street protests and the resignation of the southern city's police chief
29700710-8430269-image-a-107_1592372611289.jpg

+22
Protesters armed with AR-15s were pictured Tuesday at the burned down Wendy's where Rayshard Brooks shot Friday
29700718-8430269-image-a-108_1592372611396.jpg

+22
Protesters armed with AR-15s were pictured Tuesday at the burned down Wendy's where Rayshard Brooks shot Friday
29699352-8430269-image-a-73_1592371889327.jpg

+22
Brooks' death has sparked outrage but one black Georgia sheriff has said the shooting was 'completely justified'. Burke County, Ga. Sheriff Alfonzo Williams told CNN: 'There's nothing malicious or sadistic in the way these officers behaved'

Investigators say Brooks, 27, fought with Rolfe and another officer, Devin Brosnan, before taking one of their Tasers, fleeing, and pointing the stun gun at Rolfe as he ran away.

Rolfe was dismissed from the force Saturday after firing the fatal shots that killed Brooks. Brosnan, who didn't fire, has been placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation. Police Chief Erika Shields resigned.

Sheriff Williams said Tuesday: 'It's very unfortunate that the law enforcement leaders in the state of Georgia have not come out and stood together on this case. I think it's political and it's senseless.

'We're sending the wrong message to our black youth. We're telling them that it's OK, that they can run from the police, that they can take a weapon from the police, they can fight with the police, and point their weapon at the police, and expect nothing to happen. That is the wrong message to send to black youth.'

Williams said the case was different to that of Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery which were 'very clear, outrageous violations of policy and law.'

'I'm saying that what happened in the Brooks case is completely justified, 100 percent', Williams added.

Last edited:
Jax49 said:
JMHO, but I'm shocked this was ruled a homicide.

Typically there are 5 causes of death used by a medical examiner - natural, homicide, suicide, accidental and undetermined.

I’m not surprised this death was labeled a homicide. A homicide is not always criminal. IMO

IMHO this was done to prevent more rioting.

Jax49 stated "shocked ruled as a homicide"

You are saying that it was ruled a homicide due to prevent more rioting.

Ummmm.... are you aware of the options for such.

Which one would you chose of the only options for such vs. homicide???

The classifications are
1)natural, NOPE
2)accident, NOPE
3) suicide, NOPE
4)homicide,
5)undetermined NOPE

I agree that he pointed the gun at him, it wasn't an *accident* or any of the ONLY options.

It gets to... was it justifiable. MOO

Many folks get inflamed that it was ruled a homicide - yet it was for the ME options. MOO But that doesn't mean it puts off the table that it was a "good shoot" as to being approved. MOO

Last edited:
Jax49 said:
JMHO, but I'm shocked this was ruled a homicide.

Jax49 stated "shocked ruled as a homicide"

You are saying that it was ruled a homicide due to prevent more rioting.

Ummmm.... are you aware of the options for such.

Which one would you chose of the only options for such vs. homicide???

The classifications are
1)natural, NOPE
2)accident, NOPE
3) suicide, NOPE
4)homicide,
5)undetermined NOPE

I agree that he pointed the gun at him, it wasn't an *accident* or any of the ONLY options.

It gets to... was it justifiable. MOO

Many folks get inflamed that it was ruled a homicide - yet it was for the ME options. MOO But that doesn't mean it puts off the table that it was a "good shoot" as to being approved. MOO
Yes. All homicide means is "killed by another person". The "degree" has not yet been established which could be self defence (i.e. justified), first, second or third degree murder right?

There doesn't seem to be any public sentiment of empathy or compassion for the officer. Many view him as the criminal. Really tragic. He's a hero when he's needed but a villain when there is even a hint of impropriety before an investigation is even launched.
Do you have any MSM/LE links that show the officer in that light? I.e. as a criminal and villain? I have just posted one that indicates he was justified so it would be good to have the opposing view too.

In Ga. You can't drive while drunk even on private property. In fact, regardless if you are driving or not, if the keys are in the ignition, and you are behind the wheel, you can be charged. The engine doesn't even have to be running.
The question I have is this... If that cop thought he was passed out drunk, then why did he tell him to drive the car?

That's a pretty legal question that I have no answer to.

But I will say that 4 decades ago, *stands ashamed*, I was over the limit MOO but nowhere near my car when questioned by LE . Actually, very similar to this situation, but my car was in a space not me in the car with it blocking others.

Even back then (when folks did *get away with DUI* more than these days) I knew not to even approach my car, nor identify my car. They allowed me to be picked up by a friend.. and my car was picked up the next day.

We'll never know if he would have let him drive off to where he wanted without following him, but having him being *sleeping* (new term for passed out drunk to be politically correct on body cam I noted)... I would think he would have followed these days.

All above MOO, and how I got through the 80's... SMDH.

Although I'd read both articles, I was initially confused, thinking they were one and the same, but captured at different times.
Yes I just saw the pic of the two arrested and they do look similar. If you look at the trainers and clothes they do appear slightly different.

Here's another article with an opinion saying the shooting was tragic but justified.

Georgia police training director believes Brooks shooting was 'tragic, yet justified'

3 key decisions.

FORSYTH, Ga. - The man who runs the training academy for nearly all Georgia law enforcement officers says the shooting of Rayshard Brooks was tragic, yet justified.

Georgia Public Safety Training Center director Chris Wigginton weighed in on the three key decisions officers made that fateful night.

Continued at link.

Here's another article with an opinion saying the shooting was tragic but justified.

Georgia police training director believes Brooks shooting was 'tragic, yet justified'

This sentence stood out: "Wigginton said if you don’t like the training, the first step is to change the law." What will happen after this moment in America's history is unknown, but right now, during the transformation, to be any of the people involved, I couldn't begin to imagine what pressure they're under.

Rayshard Brooks was on probation awaiting result of DUI charge | Daily Mail Online

• Rayshard Brooks was on probation and faced going back to prison if he was charged with a DUI, DailyMail.com can reveal
  • The 27-year-old was shot and killed by police after he was found asleep at a Wendy's drive-thru in Atlanta on Friday, June 12
  • He was compliant with cops but after he failed a field sobriety test and blew 0.108 when breathalyzed, Brooks suddenly resisted when cops tried to cuff him
  • Brooks was shot twice in the back as he tried to make a break for it
  • The charges to which Brooks pleaded guilty and for which he was still on probation dated back to August 2014
  • He was convicted on four counts – False Imprisonment, Simple Battery/Family, Battery Simple and Felony Cruelty/Cruelty to Children
  • Brooks had not been in trouble since 2016 until last December when he went to Ohio without informing his probation officer - but the case was dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff77