Identified! GA - Rising Fawn, WhtFem 26UFGA, 16-25, On East Side of NB I-59, Dec'88 - Stacey Lyn Chahorski

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Pretty sure it's probably been explained at some point somewhere, but would the DNA have already been automatically compared (in theory) due to both being in NAMUS?
Good question. Putting a missing persons record into NamUs (MP) doesn’t mean that DNA is available for a relative and if there is DNA, there is no guarantee it is from a close relative and this is required for standard STR testing.

Likewise, the existence of an unidentified persons record in NamUs (UP) doesn’t necessarily mean there is a DNA profile available.

I probably missed it, but does anyone here know when Stacy was born and when she was last seen/believed to have died?

Remarkably, investigators found DNA evidence from an unknown male suspected to be responsible for Stacy's death. After identifying Stacy, GBI agents assigned to the investigation sought FBI assistance to identify this unknown male suspect. The DNA evidence from the case was sent to Othram and Othram scientists used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing® to develop a comprehensive genealogical profile for unknown male suspect.

Othram successfully produced a DNA profile and FBI genealogists developed investigative leads in June 2022. GBI investigators began to interview potential family and obtained DNA swabs for comparison to the Othram profile.

The confirmation DNA testing established Henry Frederick Wise, AKA Hoss Wise, as the primary suspect in Stacey Chahorski’s murder. Wise would have been 34 years old at the time of Chahorski’s murder in 1988. Wise was a truck driver, traveling the route for Western Carolina trucking company, driving through Chattanooga to Birmingham to Nashville and was also a stunt driver. In 1999, Wise was killed in a car accident at Myrtle Beach Speedway in South Carolina and was burned to death. Wise had a criminal history in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina, ranging from theft, assault, to obstruction of a police officer. Wise’s arrests predate mandatory DNA testing after felony arrest and so he remained undetected and unconnected to Stacy's murder until genetic genealogy revealed the connection.

I’m glad her killer has been identified. Fantastic news again from Othram!!

Maybe he suffered a little before his death. Some of these articles speak so highly of him. Ugh. I can’t help but think he has to have more victims someplace. JMO

0A8B025F-BA80-4433-B250-0AFB916ADAFE.jpeg

A476EEF0-DE99-4BE4-981D-601FC34EF1CE.jpegC2F141F2-8992-40EF-B4C4-FB4C0E3FCA95.jpeg

1662567879195.jpeg
Now, her killer has been identified as Henry Fredrick "Hoss" Wise, a truck driver who drove through Dade County on his regular trucking route, FBI Special Agent in Charge of the Atlanta Field Office Keri Farley said during a news conference Tuesday.

Chahorski's case is "the first time that we know of that investigative genealogy was used to identify both the victim and the killer in the same case," Farley noted.

"Investigators found what was believed to be the killer's DNA at the (crime) scene, but for years it could not be linked to the person," Farley said.

So glad to see her case completely resolved. I have to imagine that as a truck driver with sick proclivities, Wise has to have more victims. Hopefully his dna is now in codis.

On another note, while @othram is certainly killing it in the genetic genealogy field, this is not the first time that both the victim and murderer were announced simultaneously as articles are starting. See: Mary Silvani (DDP/Identifinders), Anita Piteau (Identifinders), and Wanda Kirkum (unsure of who worked this case). Hopefully we’ll see even more of this in the near future!

So glad to see her case completely resolved. I have to imagine that as a truck driver with sick proclivities, Wise has to have more victims. Hopefully his dna is now in codis.

On another note, while @othram is certainly killing it in the genetic genealogy field, this is not the first time that both the victim and murderer were announced simultaneously as articles are starting. See: Mary Silvani (DDP/Identifinders), Anita Piteau (Identifinders), and Wanda Kirkum (unsure of who worked this case). Hopefully we’ll see even more of this in the near future!
The bottleneck is funding. Getting Audiochuck's support was key in getting the suspected killer identified. We are definitely grateful for their help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back