GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people in a gated community tend to feel extremely safe, but when there is an (open) waterway then it's really an illusion of safety.

This wasn't even a gated community. If the guard wasn't at the guard shack anyone could come in and out by either driving, on foot, or by water.

But since this is/was known as a very safe community before this I am sure everyone there had a false sense of security. None of them probably lock their doors during the day or at least they didn't until this happened. And the Sheriff is telling everyone to lock their doors.

IMO

I think people in a gated community tend to feel extremely safe, but when there is an (open) waterway then it's really an illusion of safety.

Thank you for turning my lightbulb on. That had never entered my mind regarding the gated island with guards that I visit.

Is there a local place in Greensboro or Eatonton where someone could rent a boat?

I live in GA but cannot answer this question...does the State make you register a boat or the sale of a boat?

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/boat-registration.php

"What to Register
Except for the exemptions listed below, all boats used on Georgia's waterways must be registered.
Exemptions
Boats used strictly on private ponds or lakes.
Sailboats Sailboats less than 12 ft.
Rowboats, canoes, kayaks, and rubber rafts without mechanical propulsion."

More at Link above.....

ETA:
Here's Another Good Link:
http://www.georgiawildlife.com/boating/registration

The authorities are saying "between Friday and Sunday," but I think it is more like Saturday because (1) doors were not locked, usually indicating daylight hours, (2) the Dermonds did not show up at the Derby Party Saturday evening.

I wonder if the boat purchase had any relation? Water. Boat. Doubt it because this was not a robbery. What else would a stranger want besides money and valuables from this couple?

Thrill killer on the loose, which means he could strike again?

So what else could it be, besides a professional hit? Why is Shirley missing and not executed with her husband? What a hassle for the perp(s) to kidnap and take away Shirley rather than leave her there. And did the perp(s) take her away via boat? The Dermonds' three cars were there.

I have full faith that this crime will be solved. There is no such thing as a perfect murder. Some tiny clue will break it wide open.

In the meantime, prayers going up for the family and friends.

Is there a local place in Greensboro or Eatonton where someone could rent a boat?

There are several places where somebody can rent a boat, not just in Greensboro or Eatonton. The lake itself is about 20 miles long and a mile wide, but is also connected to a couple of rivers. The shoreline is about 375 miles and the lake stretches into 4 counties.

People can rent a boat on the lake or use a public launch area to put a boat into the water. There are also places along the lake that are not sanctioned for launching a boat, but people do it anyway. Also consider that it is still a bit early in the season and many of the houses along the lake/waterways are used as vacation homes. Therefore, a lot of houses are unoccupied for weeks (or months)at a time. Somebody could use a private dock to launch a boat from a house that is unoccupied.

I wonder if any boats have been stolen within a couple hundred miles of Eatonton. Also, are LE looking at security video from all around the lake for vehicles towing boats to or from the lake between Thursday and Sunday?

Their son wasn't a drug lord. He was just a small buyer. It was one of the drug dealers who killed him because instead of selling him rock cocaine he wanted to rob him instead. The drug dealer probably could tell their son had money.

I don't think anyone in the family is involved in this in any way.

The other children don't even live there and are very successful on their own.

IMO

I don't think any of the family members are involved either, but...

It looks like the son who was killed got in some troubles with the law. Served some time. If you do a search on his name here, choosing the option for active and inactive cases (and choosing with photos), you'll see evidence of that:

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/OffenderQuery/jsp/OffQryForm.jsp

Don't let the mugshot of the black male that comes up fool ya -- I have no idea who that is or why his photo is there. It's kinda weird...perhaps just a technical glitch. (Or maybe not...?)

Scroll on past the mugshot and read on down to the written part -- describes a white male with blue eyes, with a birth year corresponding to what would have been the son's birth year, if this is correct:

...One of the Dermonds’ sons was shot and killed in 2000 while he was buying crack cocaine in downtown Atlanta on his 47th birthday...
http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453/decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

There is a list of offenses. There are aliases.

I hope this is all within TOS. I am not picking on the deceased son or trying to embarrass the family -- but I AM thinking that possibly, that son made enemies somehow while incarcerated OR someone is extracting revenge (in their warped mind) for the fallout from the drug deal gone bad in 2000. Why they might do such a horrible thing so many years later -- that, I don't know.

I was just thinking about a craigslist freaky person. Would not even need to be someone who bought the boat, just someone who looked at it.
Do we really know that nothing was taken? Police don't think so but people have killed for very little cash.
Yes, boats like that must be registered and they have to have validation decals on both sides of the boat. These are vinyl letters applied.
Just a little ironic he sells a boat recently then this happens in a community with no big crime in 18 years...
May not be related to the sale of the boat at all.
Moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I hope when I wake up we know more. This is crazy. :-(

I was just thinking about a craigslist freaky person. Would not even need to be someone who bought the boat, just someone who looked at it.
Do we really know that nothing was taken? Police don't think so but people have killed for very little cash.
Yes, boats like that must be registered and they have to have validation decals on both sides of the boat. These are vinyl letters applied.
Just a little ironic he sells a boat recently then this happens in a community with no big crime in 18 years...
May not be related to the sale of the boat at all.
Moo

This website states:
"Registration is NOT required for the following vessels:

Sailboats less than 12 ft. in length with no mechanical propulsion.
Canoes, kayaks, rowboats and rubber rafts that have no mechanical propulsion (i.e., are paddled, poled, oared or windblown) and
Boats operated exclusively on private ponds or lakes."
http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/2961

So, if this boat was going to exclusively operate on a private pond or lake,
then registration is not required.
IMOO.

Regarding the sale of the boat: I THINK (not certain) sheriff says in presser that the Dermonds sold it a couple of years ago...?

http://oconee.org/index.php

They didn't live on a private lake. He also had a boatslip, so I know he had to have it registered. Now whoever he sold it to might not. 23ft is a pretty big boat. Guess it also depends on what type of boat. All it said was fiberglass.

WOW, any other druglords in the family, this could be a hit for someone just owing money or having stolen some drug money or not turned it in.

Druglord?? Where do you get that? Lots of well to do children do and buy drugs. Does not make them a druglord. Naive yes.

http://oconee.org/index.php

They didn't live on a private lake. He had a boastful so I know he had to have t registered. Now whoever he sold it to might not. 23ft is a pretty big boat. Guess it also depends on what type of boat. All it said was fiberglass.

Exactly what I meant, whomever he sold it to, if it was going to be used exclusively on a private pond or lake, registration is not required.

Druglord?? Where do you get that? Lots of well to do children do and buy drugs. Does not make them a druglord. Naive yes.

shady pasts and someone was murdered in this family..... again....call it what you want, when souls are lost to drugs, the drugs are their Lord, don't ask me how I know

Regarding the sale of the boat: I THINK (not certain) sheriff says in presser that the Dermonds sold it a couple of years ago...?

I think so, as well...(IMOO...I have to listen to the presser again to make sure....)
Although in Print....

"The Dermonds once owned a boat, but they sold it years ago, the sheriff said."

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453/decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html#storylink=cpy

"Russell Dermond has paid taxes on a 23-foot boat, which Sills said the couple recently sold...." (snipped by me)
http://www.wsmv.com/story/25465454/...capitated-wife-missing-authorities-seek-clues

there are many secluded public boat ramps...........but in regards to the discussion on the boat sale, which was probably too long ago, but I dont' see them beheading someone adn kidnapping her for a boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member