GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Annie1004 and others who think the LinkedIn profile is a fake and does not mean anything. Most 80-year-olds do not use LinkedIn.

To clarify the bit about canoeing. There happens to be a Russell Dermond who was born in 1936. He competed in the Olympics in the 1950's and 1960's. Not the same man as the one that was murdered.

Do we have a way to know for sure that Mr. D isn't the Olympic Sprint Canoer Russell Dermond?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Do we have a way to know for sure that Mr. D isn't the Olympic Sprint Canoer Russell Dermond?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Yes. Different birth years and, as Carolinapeach mentioned, if you google the name and Sugar Island, you will find a pic of the canoe racer and his wife. The birth records for both come up in genealogy related web searches.

O/T
I saw a shadow of a person walking past my bedroom window this morning. The sun was coming up but still dark outside. I first thought it was my daughter outside watering her garden. Then I heard her in the kitchen and my heart sank. We rushed outside and no one was around. We looked in the kids room and both were there, safe. We have surveillance cameras but we have to wait until her fiancee comes home and look. That is 8 hrs from now.

These poor elderly people. How frighten they must have been. Everyone should get surveillance cameras. They run anywhere from $250 and up. I wish they had them.

:scared: I'm glad you have the surveillance cameras. Recently my cousin's property was broken into and had a vehicle stolen. LE highly recommended he get security cameras. He told my cousin that they are reasonably priced now and can go a long way in identifying a perp and even deterring a would be perp. The officer even suggested I get security cameras for my property. Stay safe and keep us updated. Don't hesitate to call for backup either. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Do we know for sure the Dermonds did not have cameras? I thought Sheriff Sills replied they were still looking into it when asked if the security cameras were working. I think if they did have cameras they were not working or not turned on because perhaps of a false sense of security. Interesting that April 28 was the day the cameras quit working at the entrance gate. Seems they should have been repaired immediately. No excuses. :moo:

Google his name and sugar island. At first link you should see a pic of that Russell Dermond with his wife.

One reason I really dislike using Google any more - your post was the first one that came up when I googled linking websleuths. :facepalm: I really appreciated your info though.

OceanBlue====your post at 1086---I think its a sick game to the degree that I hope the families are checking their mail-boxes.

sweetlings--good morning to all--have to catch up on all these awesome posts.

Thank you Georgiagirl, that is exactly what I meant! Like it or not, there is a level of desensitization that has to occur for those in the medical community. While a beheading may be particularly gruesome, doctors, nurses, coroners, etc. are in a position to see, touch, cut, clean and mend things that might make the rest of us vomit or worse, pass out. A chef who breaks down large carcasses (usually done in fancier restaurants as the meat is considered fresher, cleaner, and cut better) on a daily basis would probably have more of a mental system of disengaging from the reality of chopping up carcasses.

Sorry but as an RN of almost 30 years, I respectfully disagree. People go into the health care profession to help, care....to promote, maintain and sustain life. We do it because we genuinely care about our fellow human beings and we want to make a positive difference in their lives. What we are exposed to in no way would make is anymore capable of taking an axe or hack saw and chopping off a sweet old man's head. Sorry but that's ludicrous to me. If someone is sick, deranged, rageful, evil enough, it wouldn't exactly take that much work or skill or prior 'desensitization' to hack off a dead man's head. IMO, health care professionals would be less capable of performing such a heinous act due to their deeply ingrained respect for life and their fellow human beings.

And for the record, most health care professionals don't become desensitized to blood and carnage and trauma to bodies, it's still horrific each and every time but in order to help you are able to temporarily look past the blood and gore, because adrenaline kicks in, and do what you need to do to help/do your best to save a life. Many of us are haunted for years by things we've witnessed, and many hours are spent trying to make sense of what human beings do to one another, and it bothers us a great deal. We don't become desensitized, we just have to be able to block out the 'horrific' and focus on the task at hand, which is trying to save or sustain life.

Sorry but I just couldn't sit back and see these kinds of comments and assumptions and not speak up.

Same real estate company but another agent - male. Not sure how to share that info properly...

same LISTING AND SELLING AGENT? Of course that was almost 20 years ago that the dermonds purchased, IIRC

Still quite interesting they are so close yet i think stephens body was found on the lake sinclair side near 441

there is a damn between the dermonds and the home where stephens was discovered

still eery, WHAT ARE the odds?

correct me on the location, but the homes I think are closer by road, would be further by water I'm thinking, both off of pearidge road, dermonds further off pea ridge, but that'd be a main thoroughfare by road

Sorry but as an RN of almost 30 years, I respectfully disagree. People go into the health care profession to help, care....to promote, maintain and sustain life. We do it because we genuinely care about our fellow human beings and we want to make a positive difference in their lives. What we are exposed to in no way would make is anymore capable of taking an axe or hack saw and chopping off a sweet old man's head. Sorry but that's ludicrous to me. If someone is sick, deranged, rageful, evil enough, it wouldn't exactly take that much work or skill or prior 'desensitization' to hack off a dead man's head. IMO, health care professionals would be less capable of performing such a heinous act due to their deeply ingrained respect for life and their fellow human beings.

And for the record, most health care professionals don't become desensitized to blood and carnage and trauma to bodies, it's still horrific each and every time but in order to help you are able to temporarily look past the blood and gore, because adrenaline kicks in, and do what you need to do to help/do your best to save a life. Many of us are haunted for years by things we've witnessed, and many hours are spent trying to make sense of what human beings do to one another, and it bothers us a great deal. We don't become desensitized, we just have to be able to block out the 'horrific' and focus on the task at hand, which is trying to save or sustain life.

Sorry but I just couldn't sit back and see these kinds of comments and assumptions and not speak up.
Thank you so much for this!! I agree 100%. I have seen some pretty bad things in my 25 years of nursing but I never became completely desensitized. I can assure you that if a headless body had been wheeled into the ER when I was working in there, I would have found it horrific and traumatic.

Have a friend that is a psychology major at Auburn Univ., that says that it cheaper to major in it than to be treated for it..LOL

Think I counted about a dozen I's and me's in Dr. Stathas intro/sales pitch. Haven't seen this many I's since my last few ophthalmologist and optometrist visits. Can you say narcissism, imo? Jeeze..

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/name/John_J_Stathas_PhD,LMFT_Marietta_Georgia_60906

Momrids6, now ya got me thinking, a former inpatient mentored or befriended by Mr. D, living inside the gates with the window of opportunity possibility being the time of the Derby party, while his guardian was attending?.... Motive unknown..jmo
Ironically, at age 14, serial killer Gary Hilton, shot his stepfather and was committed to a FL inpatient mental health facility. He promptly escaped the facility, earned his GED, entered the US Army and became special forces trained.. We know the rest of the tragic story..

Does anybody else find him a bit creepy?

Yes, very much so.

oh mercy........yes...yes I do.......

Imo, the perp/s responsible for Mr & Mrs D's abduction/murder/decapitation has likely received past mental health treatment.. This connection of Mr D and the mental health treatment facility, if true, is much too coincidental to simply dismiss..jmo

Imo, the perp/s responsible for Mr & Mrs D's abduction/murder/decapitation has likely received past mental health treatment.. This connection, if true, is too coincidental to simply dismiss..jmo

The "Dr." is a marriage and family therapist. IMO not the type of therapist that would be treating severe mental health issues. On the other hand, I agree it does seem to be too coincidental to dismiss. I wonder if LE have seen the possible connection.

ireNC;10537284]Does anybody else find him a bit creepy?[/QUOTE]Definitely
, Wondered HOw Many Others Might Catch On
toThat Too !!!

One reason I really dislike using Google any more - your post was the first one that came up when I googled linking websleuths. :facepalm: I really appreciated your info though.

Ah, wouldn't you know. :banghead:
Well, I hope you found it anyway.

ireNC;10537284]Does anybody else find him a bit creepy?
Definitely
, Wondered HOw Many Others Might Catch On
toThat Too !!![

I think the hair dye on facial hair and eyebrows, along with what might be a wig is just a man, about 20 years his wife's senior, trying to look younger. A new hair scheme could really fix that :)

I would agree, LE should at least verify their relationship with The Dermonds. As I mentioned prior, Dr. Staphas's column is printed in the paper directly above Mrs. Dermond's bridge results.

I did some reading last night after really thinking about the case and Oceanblueeyes comments. There is a serial killer profile that matches this crime to a 'T'. The power/control killer. He is very neat and rarely leaves evidence, often takes body parts, moves bodies, and has multiple crime scenes. He doesn't know his victims but stalks them prior and the selection may have to do with opportunity along with preference.

I then looked at the FBI symposium training manual for LE dealing with a serial killer. They say to choose one person who talks to the press and provides updates (sills). This person is specifically NOT ALLOWED to know any pertinent information so they do not compromise the investigation. Loved ones are not to make statements.

All of these things made my heart literally sink for Mrs. dermond. I really really wanted this to be about something else, like a gambling debt or something. Something that could mean she might still be okay. But, it all made my stomach turn because it was so much a parallel to this case. Btw, the BTK killer iOS used often to explain this profile. He worked in code enforcement and security.

Bumping & BBM for Focus;

Due to the lack of information, there could be many possible motives for SD's abduction. Hopefully she will be found safely. After a week has passed since her tragic abduction & Mr. D's murder/decapitation. It is doubtful if the motive was financial or ransom related, imo.
I regret even having to post that one of the motives may be sexual..

Interesting info from the US Department Of Justice on elderly victims of sexual abuse and their offenders.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/216550.pdf

Ball (2005) identifies two conceptual models emerging from the literature attempting to explain the motivation behind sexual abuse of the elderly. The first theory is based on sexual intent. In essence, the perpetrator is viewed as sexually deviant and the term “gerontophilia” is
suggested
. However, there has been no empirical study to support the view that most – or even a
significant number of offenders have a sexual preference for elders. Neither the studies by Groth
(1978) nor Pollack (1988) reported on the sexual preferences of their samples. Nevertheless, two
of the six cases presented by Ball et al (1992) did demonstrate gerontophilic tendencies.

A second model of sexual offending of the elderly is a variation of a psychodynamic
interpretation of rape. Groth referred to this variation as “anger rape”. In this type of rape, the
offender offends as a way to direct feelings of rage onto the victim. The offense is not primarily
a sexual act but one that occurs within a sexual context but that emotions of anger and control
are exerted onto the victim. Groth continued to suggest that the object of the rage, the victim,
represented an authority person who needed to be controlled, hurt and degraded.

Pollack’s (1988) study supports this view in that the offender is acting out motives of rage and sadistic
intent rather than motives of sexual desire. Lanyon (1991) has suggested that the victim
becomes a substitute for the original source of the offender’s anger, often noted to be the
offender’s mother.

same LISTING AND SELLING AGENT? Of course that was almost 20 years ago that the dermonds purchased, IIRC

Still quite interesting they are so close yet i think stephens body was found on the lake sinclair side near 441

there is a damn between the dermonds and the home where stephens was discovered

still eery, WHAT ARE the odds?

correct me on the location, but the homes I think are closer by road, would be further by water I'm thinking, both off of pearidge road, dermonds further off pea ridge, but that'd be a main thoroughfare by road

Same agency but different listing agent for the house listed nearby.

Probably a 15 minute drive? Starting from Pea Ridge to Lake Oconee.
You are correct about the dam. No way to cross from Lake Sinclair to Lake Oconee by water because of the dam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member