GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great points, as always FF. ITA that all available resources should be utilized. What could it hurt? While the anecdote Sills shared about the T-rex was interesting, I also think it is very telling as to his mindset. He wants to be the sole 'bada$$ T-rex' credited for solving this crime. He doesn't want to ask for help because he doesn't want his position to be eliminated.
:confused: I think Sill's way of thinking needs to go the way of the dinosaur. MOO
I agree. I also think it may be more with Sills than job security though. I think there may still be some trust issues from his previous dealings with the GBI. Just speculating. JMO.

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/loca...onbox_apr2013_ajcstub1#065b272d.553967.735369

Keith Dermond has no idea why anyone would kill his father and presumably abduct his mother.
It’s been nine days since 88-year-old Russell Dermond’s decapitated body was found and his wife reported missing. Though the search for 87-year-old Shirley Dermond continues, investigators doubt she’ll be found alive.
Part of Keith Dermond hopes she’s not. He’d like to think she went quietly, shielded from the depravity that befell her husband of 62 years.
“The thought of her suffering is too much to bear,” Dermond, 55, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Thursday from his home in Jacksonville.
Investigators believe they were killed sometime between May 2 and 3rd. Though he wouldn’t elaborate, Keith Dermond said it’s likely the crimes happened during the day.
“They had a security system. And they always kept their doors locked,” Dermond said. “They were religious about that.”

Dermond also revealed that cameras manning the gates at Reynolds Plantation weren’t functioning at the time.
Polygraph tests were administered to maintenance workers with access inside the gated community about 80 miles southeast of Atlanta, but nothing came of them, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said.
“I’m still interviewing friends” of the couple, Sills told The AJC. Many of them are afraid to talk. “There’s a lot of fear.”
The Dermonds’ children aren’t immune to those fears.
“We’ve got a little bit of concern,” Keith Dermond said. “We’ve gotten a few weird phone calls.”
None of them have provided any information about who killed their father and took his mother.

BBM...
that's the first time I have read that in a report.

It's certainly raised awareness, when people get compacent, they dont' pay attention, false sense of security in the RP area, I have begun to pay closer attention to the people around me, you never know if a psycho just brushed past you in the store or passed you on the hiway

Look at normal looking men, educated acting, well dressed, and you DO NOT know if he's a murderer or not, frightening to imagine, dont' live in fear, but be cautious

I think they were targeted too, probably went to the door and answered it, not knowing or even thinking of any danger

Does it seem like a serial killer ? Because of the beheading, I've not heard of any other cases of beheading, has anyone else? OF course, he may be young, just begun his rampage or hasn't struck for a few years possibly?

IDK, maybeThey were targeted becuase ......they were elderly, lived alone, family out of state, no dog, appeared to have money (because of the house, no one truly know what someone has unless you look at their finances)

yeah why keep her unless for money, no ransom was demanded, so did they take her to the atm's, hopefully it's been checked for wrong pin entries, my card got eaten by the machine for that mishap once, LOL,

I think it was said there were no recent large withdrawals, I recall that young girl in Chapel Hill NC college student, disappeared and was later seen she was taken to the atm by the perp, then killed

They knew RD wuold be opposition, so just get rid of him right away, easy targets because of age?

I still think it's someoen nearby watching them or knows of them through someone else, if it's not related to the MD murder
bbm
Which imoo means the killer knew the family somehow.............but how?

Here is now Braselton, Ga. (you know...the town Kim Basinger once owned) but was born and raised in DeKalb Co. Ga. (Lakeside High School, Class of '70)

I could tell you were from Middle Ga. by the way you mispronounce bream. :D (pecan is a toss-up)

As to gators, when walking home from my H.S (Atlanta suburb) I passed a house that had a small pond with a pet alligator (or so it was rumored), so it IS possible, but you have to introduce them. Of course back then, you just picked up babies (mostly non-native caimans) from sleazy tourist traps in Florida. Future disinterest meant they usually had very short lives.

And its sweet water as opposed to not-sweet. (like the the ocean) Sorta like sweet milk as opposed to buttermilk. Pass the cornbread, please.

BTW...the Allman Brothers (the real one...when Duane was alive) played at my High School graduation dance!
You mean THE Allman brothers with both Duane and Greg? I'm jealous. Although I've seen them in concert many times.

This is all too much! What the heck is going on? Sills doesn't want the help of the GBI but yesterday I read where he said it took him five hours to check out one detail. I can't even remember now what it was but it was something that turned out to be insignificant... maybe having to do with whether the Dermonds had eaten out on Thursday or Friday, or something like that. Info. overload here but I do know he said it took him five hours to check one small detail out. It sounded like he needs help!!

And, why does Mr. Dermond the son sound so reconciled to his mother being deceased? I understand his statements about it would be better for her to be gone than to be enduring whatever she may be enduring if alive (I think I would feel that way too) but what I don't understand is why no one for the family, not even a paid rep., is saying, "Mom, hang on. We love you! We will never stop looking for you!" Why not say, "Please, please, don't stop looking for our mom!". I know all families react differently. I do not mean to sound as if I am judging them harshly. I know they must be afraid and perhaps LE has told them to not speak for their own safety. I know. But, I still don't understand the seemingly resolved to never again see Mrs. D. stance the family seems to have developed.

Sills has said that finding Mrs. D. is the single most important thing they need to do. I have appreciated that and the billboards. Would they put these billboards out there if they had a forensic reason to believe she is deceased? I know odds are that she is but what if she is not?

I am really frustrated.

Anyone elswe think it's hinky that the son said his parents didnt attend their sons murder trial? Did I read that right?

http://www.examiner.com/article/putnam-county-sheriff-howard-sills-profile-of-cop-over-dermond-couple-caseExaminer article quoted sheriff as saying (my paraphrasing): If a sheriff calls GBI for help w every wreck and every investigation, then Sheriff's office will go the way of the dinosaur.
Okay, agreed. I can understand that a sheriff does not want to do that - to cry wolf too often.
But 'going the way of the dino's' is his supposed rationale for not requesting GBI aid?

I'd like to find the crime data and specifically homicide data for Putnam Co.
City-data.com for Eatontown displaying info for 2001 to 2012 shows 2001 as the last homicide. (Does Eatontown have its own PD, or use P-Co SO?)

One homicide in a ten-yr period? How many homicides has the rest of P Co had over the past decade? IDK.
Another article quoted him as saying – he is working the Dermond case like any other homicide.
Does PC SO have depth in experience in successful homicide investigations.

Glad he has been getting help from other co sheriffs and the FBI. JMO.

This is all too much! What the heck is going on? Sills doesn't want the help of the GBI but yesterday I read where he said it took him five hours to check out one detail. I can't even remember now what it was but it was something that turned out to be insignificant... maybe having to do with whether the Dermonds had eaten out on Thursday or Friday, or something like that. Info. overload here but I do know he said it took him five hours to check one small detail out. It sounded like he needs help!!

And, why does Mr. Dermond the son sound so reconciled to his mother being deceased? I understand his statements about it would be better for her to be gone than to be enduring whatever she may be enduring if alive (I think I would feel that way too) but what I don't understand is why no one for the family, not even a paid rep., is saying, "Mom, hang on. We love you! We will never stop looking for you!" Why not say, "Please, please, don't stop looking for our mom!". I know all families react differently. I do not mean to sound as if I am judging them harshly. I know they must be afraid and perhaps LE has told them to not speak for their own safety. I know. But, I still don't understand the seemingly resolved to never again see Mrs. D. stance the family seems to have developed.

Sills has said that finding Mrs. D. is the single most important thing they need to do. I have appreciated that and the billboards. Would they put these billboards out there if they had a forensic reason to believe she is deceased? I know odds are that she is but what if she is not?

I am really frustrated.
I have 4 words for Sills and I am sure most people in the area would agree.

BOOTS ON THE GROUND

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know how to view the Dermonds not attending the trial of their son's murderer.

I can't imaging how difficult to have a drug addict son let alone have him murdered.

Maybe they felt attending the trial of his killer would not bring them closure. Maybe it the idea of going brought only more grief.

Maybe they felt that the drugs took him from them long before TM did.

I have 4 words for Sills and I am sure most people in the area would agree.

BOOTS ON THE GROUND

Yes, I know. I like him. I know he does have a lot of help already but would it be possible to have too much? Maybe it would. But, there are a lot of homes on that lake. A lot of land around it. I feel like she could be very near.

I honestly don't know how to view the Dermonds not attending the trial of their son's murderer.

I can't imaging how difficult to have a drug addict son let alone have him murdered.

Maybe they felt attending the trial of his killer would not bring them closure. Maybe it the idea of going brought only more grief.

Maybe they were scared of someone there or of being seen there.

BBM...
that's the first time I have read that in a report.

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/loca...onbox_apr2013_ajcstub1#065b272d.553967.735369
<sniped from article for focus>

crime happened in the daytime
The D's had a security system(was it disarmed?)
Religious about keeping their doors locked (no sign of forced entry)
No 911 call that we are aware of or emergency alert from security alarm system.

There was a landscaper that thought he heard voices coming from the R's home, if my memory is correct. If the D's were accosted outside, they would have likely been witnessed by the landscaper that heard the voices, imo.

Who would the D's open their locked doors for?
Friends, acquaintances, person's of authority, delivery persons?
Someone they trusted, imo...
Was Mrs D wearing jewelry; wedding rings. Was Mr D wearing a wedding band? Not the motive, imo, but for possible souvenirs.

Imo, it is highly unlikely that the person responsible for the D's abduction/murder/decapitation will be identified via a polygraph examination.. The perp is obviously a psychopath, imo. Most psychopaths can easily deceive a polygraph exam. Polygraphs require a conscience...

Keep in mind, he was 47.
Drugs don't discriminate, I know, but that is a little on the older side. BY that age I would think he would have had established a long working relationship with a dealer he could trust.
What do I know! Nothing.
Either he had been involved with drugs for some years or something had happened recently that caused him to go down that path.
From the photo I saw, it looked like he'd had a hard life.
At their advanced age they probably had tired of his struggles and chose not to stress themselves any further.
This murder was witnessed by several people, he wasn't going to walk.
IMO

Well at least the security system can tell them when it was armed and disarmed...
The thought of someone doing that in broad daylight is something else!
What does that mean?
Sure sounds like someone who's got nothing to lose.

I am thinking more and more an inside job.
How many times have security cameras nailed someone by footage of their car where it should not have been?

Ernie Scherer comes to mind.
http://pokerati.com/2009/03/details-emerge-about-ernie-scherer-iii-accused-double-murderer/
The poker player that killed his parents almost beheading one of them.
Well actually it was a Nike receipt that got him, but he was goaded with security footage of his red corvette.
I might have those details off a little.
I also remember a son with a yellow jeep that drove from college to kill his parents.
Chris Porco
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/family/christopher_porco/14.html
Moo

Keep in mind, he was 47.
Drugs don't discriminate, I know, but that is a little on the older side. BY that age I would think he would have had established a long working relationship with a dealer he could trust.
What do I know! Nothing.
Either he had been involved with drugs for some years or something had happened recently that caused him to go down that path.
From the photo I saw, it looked like he'd had a hard life.
At their advanced age they probably had tired of his struggles and chose not to stress themselves any further.
This murder was witnessed by several people, he wasn't going to walk.
IMO
BBM :D

I'm thinking along similar lines.

He came from a well to do family, but as so many others, drugs don't discriminate. But being from a well to do family it is easy to imagine that maybe he had gone into full, professional rehab...maybe more than once.

After "getting clean" he had lost all his previous contact with the "better class" of drug dealers he used to buy from, so that when he "backslid" he had to do what many desperate white boys from the suburbs choose to do....drive to the most dangerous areas of town and buy from a street dealer. We know what happened then.

I can see where the Sheriff dismisses any connection with that last drug transaction (perp a sad loser who couldn't organize a one man funeral)...but what about further back in the son's life?

Before the drugs had their inevitable deleterious effect and he was driven to deal with scum, did he have dealings with smart, organized and professional drug smugglers?

The "hit" on the Dermonds looks like, or was made to look like, a cartel hit.

To paraphrase Faulkner, maybe the past isn't even past.

Maybe they hitchhiked. :D

Polk salad Annie
'Gators got your ******"

Gators are very adaptable.

From Wikipedia;

Distribution and habitat

American alligators are only found in the Southeastern United States, from Great Dismal Swamp in North Carolina, south to Everglades National Park in Florida and west to the southern tip of Texas. They are found in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. They inhabit swamps, streams, rivers, ponds, and lakes. Females and juveniles are also found in Carolina Bays and other seasonal wetlands. While they prefer fresh water, alligators sometimes enter brackish water,[26] but they are less tolerant of salt water than crocodiles, as the salt glands on their tongues do not function.[27] One study of alligators in north-central Florida found the males preferred open lake water during the spring, while females used both swampy and open water areas. During summer, males still preferred open water, while females stuck to the swamps to construct their nests and lay their eggs. Both sexes may den underneath banks or clumps of trees during the winter.[28]

American alligators are less vulnerable to cold than American crocodiles. Unlike the crocodile, which would immediately succumb to the cold and drown in water of 45°F (7.2°C), an alligator can survive in such temperatures for some time without any signs of discomfort.[29] This adaptiveness is thought to be the reason why American alligators spread farther north than the American crocodile.[29] In fact, the American alligator is found farther from the equator and is more equipped to deal with cooler conditions than any other crocodilian.[30] When the water begins to freeze, alligators stick their snouts though the surface which allows them to breathe above the ice.[26]

You mean THE Allman brothers with both Duane and Greg? I'm jealous. Although I've seen them in concert many times.
Yes!

They were making their bones by playing free many weekends at Piedmont Park and had released their first (but regional only) magnificent eponymous album.

51ky1ieh50L._AA160_.jpg

Its not hard to imagine that my high school dance was among (if not the) last such venue they were forced to suffer. After "Fillmore East" they became world renowned.

In my time I witnessed many of the great guitarists: Jimi Hendrix (twice), Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton etc. but Duane Allman is flat out the best blues/rock&roll guitarist I have ever seen.

I did not buy any Allman related album after his death.

What was the point?

<sniped from article for focus>

crime happened in the daytime
The D's had a security system(was it disarmed?)
Religious about keeping their doors locked (no sign of forced entry)
No 911 call that we are aware of or emergency alert from security alarm system.

There was a landscaper that thought he heard voices coming from the R's home, if my memory is correct. If the D's were accosted outside, they would have likely been witnessed by the landscaper that heard the voices, imo.

Who would the D's open their locked doors for?
Friends, acquaintances, person's of authority, delivery persons?
Someone they trusted, imo...

Was Mrs D wearing jewelry; wedding rings. Was Mr D wearing a wedding band? Not the motive, imo, but for possible souvenirs.

Imo, it is highly unlikely that the person responsible for the D's abduction/murder/decapitation will be identified via a polygraph examination.. The perp is obviously a psychopath, imo. Most psychopaths can easily deceive a polygraph exam. Polygraphs require a conscience...

BBM

Family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members