GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really terrible case. :( They all are, but this is all just so horrific.

CRIKEY ! :floorlaugh:

where is steve irwin when you need him!

Sadly, he's passed. He was swimming with stingrays and one of the stingers got him. Loved that guy! http://youtu.be/dVRhRzE_AkQ

images

http://www.msgr.com/news/article_2019c256-dd4a-11e3-a5f1-001a4bcf887a.html

That seems quite odd to announce you're the person who found the body. In another case I followed it was never released who found the girls' remains - only that it was hunters. The names were never leaked to the press. I think I'd want to remain anonymous in case the killer was still right there.

remember the feral pigs on that other case thread? Still :blush: over that one.

Seems like this thread has something like that of its own here.

Speaking of alarm systems makes me question how updated theirs was? Did they have cameras? Years ago cameras were expensive and were not installed as routinely as they have been in the last few years.

Another point would be how computer savvy was Mr. D.? At his age many seniors do not know anything about computers. I ask this, because I was in a brand new home over the weekend with a security system and cameras. Wow, is all I can say! So elaborate. The seniors I know in his age range would be overwhelmed with such technology. Taking all this into consideration, leads me to believe their system did not have cameras.

I had the exact same thoughts. Assuming the alarm system was put in when the house was built it is less likely to have cameras. It could also just be a system that sets off an alarm, but does not send a signal to the police or a security company. A high-tech security system with cameras would likely to overwhelming.

My parents, who are in their late 80's, had a security system installed a few years ago, after their home was broken into. It does not have cameras, but it does send a signal to the security company and first responders. My parents turn it on when they leave the house and when they go to bed at night. They do not turn it on when they are just going about their day in the house. Their doors are unlocked during the day when they are home.

Im sorry, I must have missed this.....what phone calls? Is there a link? TIA

“I’m still interviewing friends” of the couple, Sills told The AJC. Many of them are afraid to talk. “There’s a lot of fear.”

The Dermonds’ children aren’t immune to those fears.

“We’ve got a little bit of concern,” Keith Dermond said. “We’ve gotten a few weird phone calls."

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/c...urity-camera-wasnt-son-tells-ajc?v=1400238000

I can't remember if this is the same son who believes the murders are related to the occult or not. Going to look that up too. :findinglink:

:floorlaugh: Yes. OMG! How many times did we discuss that topic?? Okay if anybody mentions seeing a paddleboat, I'm out of here!

Obviously there were no working cameras outside the Dermonds' house. They may have had cameras or not. We don't know.

But it was a huge risk for any perp because how would they KNOW this. Seems you would assume a million-dollar home in a gated community would have the latest in home security.

So my conclusion is:

1. They either were total fools who just got lucky OR
2. They were extremely familiar with the security setup of that home.

Quoting an opinion FROM THE THREAD as FACT is circular logic. It is like CNN, The Daily Mail and the MH370 situation.

the water never rises to the top of the docks

Guessing the dermonds had a seawall, water stays below the seawall level

how far was house from water, looked a pretty good distance

Can I just add too that the reward for the information leading the perps in the Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Morrissey case was $150,000 and it is coming up on two years and we haven't heard a peep. $150,000 is a lot of money. Elizabeth and Lyric's thread is here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228062&highlight=Elizabeth+collins&page=37

ETA: They finally ruled out Klunder. PTL!

JMO ONLY

somebody WANTED THEM DEAD
beheading to make a statement or confuse the masses
in conjunction with no theft, no atm, and her body dumped out in the river also delays the investigation and leads the investigation in the hunt for her, yet again, throwing of the investigation for weeks
thus LE has NO LEADS (they say)

perps had time to get away apparently

Can I just add too that the reward for the information leading the perps in the Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Morrissey was $150,000 and it is coming up on two years and we haven't heard a peep. $150,000 is a lot of money. Elizabeth and Lyric's thread is here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228062&highlight=Elizabeth+collins&page=37

ETA: They finally ruled out Klunder. PTL!

almost like the reward was too low, people scared, thus no one comes forward, BUT it does LOOK GOOD to have a reward, even a small one

had to be middle of the night, no one heard screams, no one heard suspicious boat activity, perps can come in with trolling motor and go out with same which is the norm, until they get in the middle of the river
to go find another cove

No one would suspect if they saw someone with trolling motor being quiet or might not have heard anything in the early a.m.

Obviously there were no working cameras outside the Dermonds' house. They may have had cameras or not. We don't know.

But it was a huge risk for any perp because how would they KNOW this. Seems you would assume a million-dollar home in a gated community would have the latest in home security.

So my conclusion is:

haha! well put, so which one becuase even small time criminals aren't that stupid, well ........some but this is too gruesome for small time criminals they just need a few bucks to get some more crack

It keeps nagging at me that somehow they must have known the D's were alone...no visiting children,etc. How would they know that? How did they know there would be no one in the home but them???

I still think this was not a robbery gone bad....apparently nothing was out of place and no traces of the killers found in the home ( I am assuming).....you would think if they went to all this trouble and did not find what they wanted they might have trashed the home in anger.....just thoughts nagging at me this morning.

Fox News reported that the remains were found at or near the Long Shoals boat ramp, which is about 4.5 miles from the D Home. The Wallace Dam is another 5 miles or so from Long Shoals. That boat ramp is in Putnam County.

Hopefully attached lake map...

Now I'm back to the timeline as in my prior post.

The question remains about the D's clothing, and the condition of the bed at the crime scene. If both corpses are dressed in sleeping clothes when discovered and the bed was found unmade, how could it be that the crime was committed during the daytime? And if the front door was open or at least unlocked while the other entries were locked, and given the son said they were very security minded, wouldn't it seem they were awakened from sleep by something and went to the front door and opened it? Who would get up in the middle of the night and go open the front door for a stranger? Any knock or noise of any strange type in the middle of the night would cause significant fear, wouldn't it?

But they might have felt safe if the visitor was known

Wellll, I know someone, haha, but gooood point

So my conclusion is:

These are my thoughts exactly. Must they have known the Dermonds and their house well enough to know they had no working cameras.? If they came in the dark I assume motion detectors would have come on? Didn't they fear there were cameras?. Hard to hide from cameras 2 people carrying a body into the garage. (I am assuming it would take 2 to carry Mr. D unless he was drug which should have left drag marks.

I wonder how many homeowners in Great Waters want desperately to put in security cameras but now trust NO ONE to work on their property??

It keeps nagging at me that somehow they must have known the D's were alone...no visiting children,etc. How would they know that? How did they know there would be no one in the home but them???

I still think this was not a robbery gone bad....apparently nothing was out of place and no traces of the killers found in the home ( I am assuming).....you would think if they went to all this trouble and did not find what they wanted they might have trashed the home in anger.....just thoughts nagging at me this morning.

There are a lot of windows on the house over-looking the lake. It seems like anybody from the lake could see a lot of what was going on in the house, especially after dark when the lights are on inside.

We live in the woods on 100+ acres. While I draw the shades on the front of the house at night, I rarely do on the back of the house. If somebody came creeping around the house, they could certainly see most of the activity that is going on inside. Living in the woods in a secluded area does give you a false sense of security. When I lived in the suburbs I would close every shade on every window just as it started to get dark.

Cuss that's whut it means.

In all seriousness, there are waves constantly moving toward the shore. The body was probably dumped on the way back to wherever the perps were getting out of the lake. Assuming even the middle of the lake, its only about (at most) a half a mile to the shore. Once the body became mobile (MO bile :D) it shouldn't take long to drift to the edge where it was snagged by the local flora.

in the middle of the river on the way to the dam, or near the dam, so now we probably can guess they entered and/or exited near the dam (day um :lol:)

These are my thoughts exactly. Must they have known the Dermonds and their house well enough to know they had no cameras.? If they came in the dark I assume motion detectors would have come on? Didn't they fear there were cameras?. Hard to hide from cameras 2 people carrying a body into the garage. (I am assuming it would take 2 to carry Mr. D unless he was drug which should have left drag marks.

I wonder how many homeowners in Great Waters want desperately to put in security cameras but now trust NO ONE to work on their property??

I know, right? There could've even been cameras in the garage for all anyone knew. My first thought is they were totally stupid. But due to the fact they left no trails of evidence (that we know) makes me think they were not stupid & planned this out well.

So it boils down to someone who knew the security setup of this home, at least in my mind right now.

So who all would have that information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member