GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question and one I have pondered many times! My reasoning is the murderers took their hate out on Mr. D by their awful act, and by taking the beloved Mother, that was another hateful act towards the children.

It's also possible that the killer(s) had planned to decapitate MrsD too, but something in their plan changed...maybe they heard voices of neighbors, or got spooked and decided to quickly just grab MrsD's body and head to the lake.

I was reading quite a few posts which are speculating on where Mrs. Dermond's body was found. I thought that was kind of strange because I specifically remembered when the story first came out that I Googled the location that was reported in the articles that I was reading when the story first broke.

I went back to check my internet history and all of the news reports that I read as the news was breaking do not have this street in any of the articles anymore but, I do still have my history which shows where I Googled.

This is the location that I Googled as I read the news stories as they were being posted:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rive...=us&ei=_pF2U4jzNpXLsQTs54LwBA&ved=0CCgQ8gEwAA

I was reading quite a few posts which are speculating on where Mrs. Dermond's body was found. I thought that was kind of strange because I specifically remembered when the story first came out that I Googled the location that was reported in the articles that I was reading when the story first broke.

I went back to check my internet history and all of the news reports that I read as the news was breaking do not have this street in any of the articles anymore but, I do still have my history which shows where I Googled.

This is the location that I Googled as I read the news stories as they were being posted:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rive...=us&ei=_pF2U4jzNpXLsQTs54LwBA&ved=0CCgQ8gEwAA

I envisioned it much farther from the Dermond's home but it really isn't very far.

I think it was a random act of a pack/group of 20 something year-olds or younger. Drugs involved-yes. A thrill-kill-and/or maybe related to reported credit card theft. I don't think it was planned so much as if the events of the night/day of crime escalated badly. A bad crime gone terribly wrong in order to cover up. Local reputations at stake etc.

JMO

The Daily Mail may "slant" things at times but they always seem to have the best and clearest pictures of everything!

hung up in the bramble underwater................

maybe an anchor rope was tied to a hand or foot, and as decomp and buoyancy increased eventually the skin slipped off, allowing the body to slip its bounds and begin to rise through the branches. Maybe this was the detail the fishermen were asked not to discuss

Not sure whether this was already posted, as I have not been able to be on WS much today, have mostly just kind of skimmed through posts:

Decapitation mystery | Slain couple’s neighbors questioned

...Investigators quizzed more than 200 of Russell and Shirley Dermond’s neighbors in the Great Waters community about their security cameras and maintenance workers, among other things....

...Shirley Dermond... had been dumped in one of the deepest parts of the lake but was discovered hung up in the tree line....

more at: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/decapitation-mystery-slain-couples-neighbors-quest/nfzY5/

I think this is the week-end there were severe storms and it rained really bad. I mean bad storms.

I was wondering if any locals here can verify if there were the really bad storms in that general area during the time frame.

Well that's interesting. How does that change things?

Cuts down on the traffic on the lake. Could also interfere with hearing outside noises.

Anything else?

That reminds me of this one case where a resort owner was ambushed and had a cooler of acid poured on his face and body. It literally melted his skin off and he died in the hospital later because of the injuries.

The motive? The president of a condo next door was upset that the resort owner had set up hedges that blocked the view of the beach, which the condo president liked to see whenever he took a walk. So he hired two guys to throw a cooler of acid on the poor guy.

People commit hideous crimes that are 100% nonsensical and indefensible to the rest of us, but probably makes perfect sense to the killer. The Dermonds' murder might have been for a similarly stupid reason.

ETA: Just looked it up. Here is an article for anyone interested. It happened here in Florida (not surprising, since all the really crazy stuff seems to happen here).
I totally agree that some heinous crimes are committed over some difference of opinion ....which morphed into a deadly feud.
Having been in the residential construction/real estate industry during the boom, and subsequent bust, could the current "unpleasantness" be somehow related to the changes that happened a few years back? These articles from GPB may give you a good view into the changes at RP a few years back. There were some unhappy folks. IMO.

http://www.gpb.org/news/Reynolds-Plantation/related
It sounds like there was an election in RP to vote on a buyout of the underwater developer of the lake golf courses,marina and undeveloped vacant land.I could imagine this was very hotly debated & contentious ballet presented to the RP property owners.

It sounds like this is at least a background story worthy for investigation. MOO

I did say early on IF Mr. D was shot by a government issued weapon and the bullet didn't exit his head, that is why his head was taken.
I bet they have checked his weapon to see if it has recently been fired...

Sills seems to be moving right along.
Expains why he wasn't out and about today.
moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

This was another thought I had but wasn't sure I should say or not.
God Bless Sheriff Sills if it turns out to be something like this.

Hmmmm... Did they write article that specifically for us? JK - sorta. Have you googled the description in the comment? TomKat any comment on that comment?

It's just weird how they describe where Mrs. D was found

"Dermond’s body was found in 46 feet of water, in a part of the lake where the tops of underwater trees jut close to or above the surface.

A source familiar with the investigation told The Telegraph that the body had been “placed” where it was found. The source did not elaborate.

Even so, the revelation indicates that Dermond’s corpse was not adrift and that authorities now have evidence of how her killer may have tried to hide her body.

Such clues could prove helpful in determining the validity of tips should people claiming to know specifics of the crime come forward, or when potential suspects are questioned."

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/3103064/motive-in-lake-oconee-killings.html#storylink=cpy

So did someone dive in with the body and try to tie the body lower down on the tree? I don't know what to think. This is just crazy. :hills:

It is sounding like the body was placed in an area and in a way to make sure it WAS found. God this is just getting more bizarre. Both bodies appear to be purposely staged in horrific ways that would be incredibly disturbing to find.

For those of you who don't live in the Georgia and may wonder where the "cult" comment by KD may have come from,this may help. This was also in a Putnam County. In the news for years...
From 11Alive/NBC

http://www.11alive.com/video/2874521588001/50317397001/Decatur-temple-maintains-ties-to-Nuwaubian-cult

There is an All Eyes on Egipt bookstore in Jasper County (Monticello, GA) which is the next county west of Putnam. I've wondered how active they are in that area also.

ETA: I guess I should say storefront. Not sure why I assume bookstore. I've never been in the place. Lol.

I think it was a random act of a pack/group of 20 something year-olds or younger. Drugs involved-yes. A thrill-kill-and/or maybe related to reported credit card theft. I don't think it was planned so much as if the events of the night/day of crime escalated badly. A bad crime gone terribly wrong in order to cover up. Local reputations at stake etc.

JMO

One thing I have been curious about for awhile now, is what was the outcome of the credit card fraud that the Dermonds reported ?? A credit card was used to make online purchases, which means that the 3 digit security code would have been required. This means that the perp either had the card in hand, or had written the numbers down and used them later.

The only way I know that numbers can be written down and used later is if you were in someones house, or if you somehow obtained the cards, copied the info needed, and then replaced the cards without detection.

What if it turns out that it was a friend or a relative that used them and the Dermonds either declined to press charges...or.....charges were pending ?

Would them reporting it to the police or encouraging the police to press charges be enough to send someone into a rage like this ??

It's possible. It's also possible that it was someone known to them. Someone that tried to steal from them and got caught. I know they reported that the cards had been used to make online purchases, but I never heard what the outcome of that was.

If anybody knows for sure, fill me in.

:beersign:

Not sure whether this was already posted, as I have not been able to be on WS much today, have mostly just kind of skimmed through posts:

more at: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/decapitation-mystery-slain-couples-neighbors-quest/nfzY5/

From your link: BBM

They didn’t know they’d be on the receiving end of a questionnaire prepared by the FBI’s behavioral science unit. More than 50 investigators, including nearly two dozen federal agents, were on hand for Saturday’s meeting.

“We weren’t questioning people as suspects,” Sheriff Howard Sills said Monday, “but we might develop one out of it.”

Investigators quizzed more than 200 of Russell and Shirley Dermond’s neighbors in the Great Waters community about their security cameras and maintenance workers, among other things. Sills said everyone complied, save for a few people with prior engagements. Further interviews are possible, he said.

The resources of the GBI Medical Examiner were utilized by Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills, in the Dermond's homicide investigation due to their vast experience and training, imo. I applaud him for this decision. A competent and thorough death-scene investigation provides the basis for a comprehensive medicolegal autopsy, and together the scene investigation and autopsy provide the basis for an accurate determination of the cause and manner of death.

The Office of Coroner has been charged with the
responsibilities and duties of answering pertinent questions related to
death investigations: Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why...

A high profile homicide investigation also requires the proper utilization and coordination of a number of agencies. The refusal to utilize all available investigative resources, and or the breakdown of investigative procedures may hinder or jeopardize the successful outcome of a case, imo.

Why it is very important for Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills to invite the GBI, GSP, US Marshals, HSA, and all other agencies available, to assist the PCSO in the high profile Dermond homicide investigation, imo;

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/167568.pdf
<sniped for focus>

How local investigators do their job is crucial to family
members who are mourning a loss today and who may be seeking justice
tomorrow. Most of us cringe at the idea of death investigations where
important steps were omitted that might have led to arrests and ultimately
convictions in those deaths.

Justice denied breeds contempt for the institutions created to ensure that justice is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x