GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow you guys are good with dates!!!! Thanks so much!! Had forgotten it was that long. Dang.

Well, we just remembered we need boat registration renewed, yeah I can see it now, tomkat picked up this weekend at Oconee for "suspicious pontoon boat" in relation to murders

And speaking of pontoon, if it was done on a boat, at night, in a quiet wooded area of oconee on a cove, or in the middle of the lake (hiding in plain sight) a pontoon might be the perfect vessell, there is more floor space than a fishing boat or jon boat and I think,but maybe not, that a bigger boat like an offshore type might draw too much attention and on a pontoon I guess you really can't see at night whats in the floor I'm sure as the seats around it and the railing except for the doors are pretty covered

So suspicious boats: unregistered vessels, abandoned, sunken, if you happen to be able to for some reason see that,

and also thoughts on the FBI

This is bigger than GA

I also thought on a pontoon the perp would be above the water dropping the body down into the water as opposed to having to lift her up and over the side of a say a fiberglass boat.
moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

one closed last year, but there are stores and gas too, dukes dawgs near 441 and Jacksons, off the water at the campground, easily walk over

ok thanks! I wasn't sure if she was showing it or if her own residence

Is the campground you are speaking of anywhere near the Dermonds?

If this particular spot is suppose to be prime for fishing, why didn't someone notice the body when it first came to the surface? Do you think it took 2 weeks for it to surface?(Thanks, Hickory Born.)

Difficult question. The short answer is: I couldn't imagine why.

Without good reasons, it seems we must assume the typical, being 4 to 5 days to rise unless actually being tethered to a very heavy weight, then drifting according to currents and/or winds. LE's statement, "...or in the vicinity..." might lead to a safe conclusion that the corpse was not tethered to some immoveable object and had probably drifted---some---or a lot. Unless the corpse was simply missed during the prior search, it might not have been in the lake until days after the crime. If one was inclined to think that the search had been less than efficient, it could simply been missed.

A big "WHY" is why would the killer remove SD from the home and leave RD there? And why would the killer take the risk of moving one body and not the other?

Could have been a small boat and 2 bodies would not fit.

Maybe they intended on decapitating both of them and something spooked them (like a car in the road) so they took Mrs. D's whole body to get out of there in a hurry. IMO both were killed in the same manner and their heads showed the most evidence.

yeah, you have to look at motive, nothing appeared to be stolen (and btw SILLS was on video report online stating that IT DIDN"T APPEAR that anything was stolen)

but that being said, anger or revenge

AND WHO had a motive and WHAT is the motive if nothing stolen

Of course the whole estate could be considered STOLEN because of the murder as T REX pointed out just above, SD being dead wont' tie up the estate if she was meant to be discovered, if not it would have held up the estate distribution

so yeah, back to being "placed" I still am thinking they DIDN"T want her to be found

we can't expect all cirminals to never make a mistake
so in thinking SD would be caught in the underwater bramble in the fishing area, I reiterate, my thinking is that they hoped that time and decay and fish would take care of her and fisherman don't drop their lines deep in that water so not to tangle their lines in that under water mess or roots and whatever else, so not likely to have snagged her

and LE stated not likely to find head due to the same if placed with SD in that location

so why would they not want the head found but SD found?

Also if it was personal, do they want the body found

If it was criminal or pro, would they want to make a statement? Then not likely dropped the head there with SD?

ach!

I also don't think "THEY" expected Mrs. D to be found. However, she was dead before being dumped in the water. No water in her lungs would cause her body to rise more rapidly than if they had thrown her in the water and she had drowned and sunk to the bottom. I think that is where "THEY" made the mistake by dumping her body post-mortem.

I think this is the week-end there were severe storms and it rained really bad. I mean bad storms.

I was wondering if any locals here can verify if there were the really bad storms in that general area during the time frame.

I am north of there. We had bad rain during the night and into the early of May 14/15.
More over the weekend as well.
I think I saw a little over 3 inches from 5/11-5/18 near Lake Oconee
http://www.wunderground.com/history...5/DailyHistory.html?cm_ven=TWC&cm_ite=History

I'm leaning towards a mentally ill killer who possibly had an "imagined" problem with the Dermonds. But, tomorrow I may lean in another direction.

I know this is VERY unlikely, but at the risk of embarrassment :blushing: what if... the killers method of transportation was small/narrow. After placing MrsD's body in the boat/canoe/kayak... he simply didn't have enough room for another full body, so he minimized MrD.

yeah just drag and drop through the side or front gate

I think originally i was thinking that people could see inside the boat from the side and top and see the floorboard, IDK WHAT I was thinking LOL

most other boats tho have no floor space, too small and covered with seats

and pontoons are pretty common there and ski boats/inboard out motors

not many skiffs I dont' think, still have to lift anything out of that

I also thought on a pontoon the perp would be above the water dropping the body down into the water as opposed to having to lift her up and over the side of a say a fiberglass boat.
moo

I also don't think "THEY" expected Mrs. D to be found. However, she was dead before being dumped in the water. No water in her lungs would cause her body to rise more rapidly than if they had thrown her in the water and she had drowned and sunk to the bottom. I think that is where "THEY" made the mistake by dumping her body post-mortem.

aha !

Due to the lack of evidence I think Sills does have to wonder if the perp has any experience or a history in LE and the like.
Not likely but neither are decapitations.
moo

ITA. I was thinking ex Military, Mercenary, former Black Ops, former Blackwater types.

I believe ...He took the head because of so much anger against Mr. D. He killed Mrs. D not because he really wanted to and thus he removed her body wanting everyone to think she was still alive.
I think so too.

And thanks to all for the cx about NEAR the dam vs. AT the dam!!

Thanks.

I will be just posting away or concentrating on reading the posts and then all of a sudden a very creepy feeling comes over me as if I can feel him in his own home sitting back and thoroughly enjoying the guessing game.

I haven't had that creepy feeling about other cases. I don't like the feeling it gives me either.

Strange.

Catching up....but just wanted to say that I remember several people here at WS commenting that they were having the exact same creepy feelings just before Austin Sigg was arrested. We will never know for sure if he was reading here, but I'd be willing to bet that he was.

Originally Posted by Nuvolari
If this particular spot is suppose to be prime for fishing, why didn't someone notice the body when it first came to the surface? Do you think it took 2 weeks for it to surface?(Thanks, Hickory Born.)

WAIT, what? How do we know that the day it was found wasn't the first time it surfaced?

But keep in mind, there's probably not as much traffic there until school gets out

Could have been a small boat and 2 bodies would not fit.

Maybe they intended on decapitating both of them and something spooked them (like a car in the road) so they took Mrs. D's whole body to get out of there in a hurry. IMO both were killed in the same manner and their heads showed the most evidence.

Known vs. Unknown:

If fishermen found the corpse, when was the time LE searched the exact same area prior? The corpse could have been at the corpse found location for how long? Was the area prior searched and exactly when? Had the area been searched and LE found nothing? When? It is not absolute that LE found the corpse just after it had surfaced. How long could it have been at the found location? Fishermen found the corpse not LE. It could have been there for how long before found?

An explanation for why the corpse would have been deliberately placed there? What would be the advantage of that specific location?

How is it absolute that a boat was involved if there was no tether or weight attached to the corpse? LE's "vicinity" qualifier indicated no absolute that the corpse could not have been "placed" from the shore. But why?

What are the chances that a floating object could be in the lake and not be obvious by visual only methods? If 10 volleyballs were placed in the lake, and 6 boats dispatched to look for them, how many would be found in 5 days?

It seems a big factor if the killer thought there was a good reason to place one corpse at a particular point while leaving a second corpse at the scene of the crime. What changes if one corpse is stumbled upon and another seems "hidden"? Which is the target? How is the killer protecting him/herself from discovery by employing different method?

How was RD dressed when discovered? Was the bed made? Was the garage door to the house open or closed? Were the lights on or off?

NO WAY, oh maybe snowbirds and retirees...........and killers, eeks

Seriously. We are there most weekends year round. Recently (winter) encountered a father and young son at Waffle House and I am sure their home was the campground. Oh yeah, I forgot we have that restaurant too. Lol.

Sorry my other post did not quote properly, but my question was to you. Do you think she was under water for the entire 2 weeks? Wouldn't the gases have brought her to the surface?

It was my understanding LE was actually expecting her body to surface the previous weekend, I think they may begun to think she was not in the water at all. However, they just weren't looking in the right place. Like Foxfire, I'm going to be really upset if I found out Mrs. D was kept alive for days afterward. But, it wouldn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
podreal