GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew, finally got caught up reading and thanks everyone for your posts - lots of good thinking. On the security video... we have 4 cam system that records to a DVR memory (several gigs of memory). The recording is triggered by motion and cams are infrared at night. The active screens can be viewed on a house TV, on house computer monitor or remotely through the internet. Son installed the system because he is tech savvy and they are relatively inexpensive for their value. I was somewhat unclear on which dock was being referred to in the media statement - the D's dock, or the neighbor's dock. Either way, should be helpful and hopefully fruitful.

The GBI/FBI indeed have amazing resources and abilities related to video enhancement and cell tower records related to pings. I hope and believe the technology will crack this case and that an arrest will happen soon.

Shirley’s death leaves an empty place at the table
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:50 am

~snip
Turney, a neighbor in the Great Waters community, said bridge was an important part of Shirley’s life.
“She played in a group in Great Waters and played in tournaments with her regular partner,” Turney said.
“There was a group of us from Great Waters – just the girls – we’d go to the mountains in North Carolina and play bridge and eat until we were just very silly,” she remembered with a laugh.
She said the couple was “the dearest, sweetest people,” pointing out, “Russ read to a man who’d had a stroke,” and “if someone was depressed or in a funk, Shirley’d work to bring them out of it.”

More at link: http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_780fad32-e12c-11e3-911e-001a4bcf887a.html

So is "PERSONAL" in these videos meant in GENERAL as to the TYPE of crime committed ?

OR

does it mean "personal" as in vendetta against them for other reasons that causes the crime to be committed?

according to the following, the crime itself, is "personal"

http://www.studymode.com/essays/Personal-Crimes-Analysis-356984.html

A personal crime is a crime that is committed against a person, which affects the victim in a personal way. There are various types of personal crimes which affect an individual, but I will be covering homicide, assault, battery, mayhem, rape and statutory rape.

I believe when they say this was a 'personal' crime they mean the killers murdered them because they knew them even if only minimally.

Imo, it means whoever the murder(s) are they had a personal perceived anger against at least one of them. Shirley may have been murdered to eliminate a witness.

In other words whoever killed them knew Shirley and Russ..........personally even if it as just as an acquaintance.

JMO

Yes, the FBI agent most definitely emphasized the rope and mentioned other high tech stuff that he could not go into detail. Seems like other perps have been caught by rope identification too. Can't remember any cases right off hand, but I'm remember a case of a young girl who was walking home after baby-sitting and was abducted. They caught the guy and the rope that was used on her was also found in the back of his little red truck. He's on death row and is trying to get out or off death row now. I can't remember the little girl's name right now. She was blonde and a real cutie and it was so sad....

Rope seems to be almost as good as ballistics . . . almost. Mrs. Dermond must have been bound with rope. :dunno:

If they have found she was tethered with a rope but the weight had slipped off that may be the reason they are back in the lake looking once again for the item used to weigh her down.

I watched a fascinating case where a NASA retired rocket scientist murdered his wife and threw her body in to the lake behind their home. He used an concrete block to weigh her down. The expert was able to tell that the block had come from the man's own home.

While concrete formulas are pretty consistent overall when being poured there will always be a little variation in the mixture each time and it is like a fingerprint.

IMO

Fisherman spots body while ‘keeping eye’ out
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:40 am

~snip

More at link: http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_62084dfe-e12d-11e3-b5e4-001a4bcf887a.html

Thanks.

That is a very odd position for a victim to be found in. Not so much with the face being down but the feet straight down is highly unusual and does seem to explain why they think or know she was tethered to a weight.

Usually a victim's entire body and face are floating spread eagle face down when found.

IMO

Thanks.

That is a very odd position for a victim to be found in. Not so much with the face being down but the feet straight down is highly unusual and does seem to explain why they think or know she was tethered to a weight.

Usually a victim's entire body and face are floating spread eagle face down when found.

IMO

It sounds like she was slumped (head down, feet down) over top of a tree stump. Maybe this is what they mean by her being "placed" there?

I worry about the perp/s getting advance notice and getting rid of rope or whatever. Obviously though, what's being released is being done so for reasons I don't yet understand. An arrest today would work for me!

They definitely are trying to apply pressure. I think that is why Sills is speaking out so often. Imo, they get together and brainstorm to decide what else he should say and how he should phrase it.

I have even wondered if they have intentionally put out things that he will know is not true when they say them. For instance saying it is two murderers. I have seen cases where the murderer is so egotistical that they hate it when the police has it wrong and they have even made contact with LE anonymously or even a media reporter because they are infuriated that the police seem so dumb.

Maybe they are hoping he does try to discard evidence now and they have someone watching and checking all the trash cans in the subdivision. They may also have boaters out on the water who are LE but look just like ordinary boaters.

This is sure a mind game they are playing with the killer or killers. All or most of what they are releasing is really being said to the perps and not so much the public.

It reminds me of the Washington DC Sniper case and Chief Moose.
IMO

Didn't he sell his boat a couple of years ago?

I may be mistaken on that part though.

IIRC, in one of the early news reports it said that Russell sold his boat a couple of years ago, but in this article Sills was quoted as saying it was a recent sale.

Russell Dermond has paid taxes on a 23-foot boat, which Sills said the couple recently sold, and Dermond reportedly owned fast-food restaurants. Tax records connect him to a Wendy's and a Chick-fil-A.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/08/justice/georgia-elderly-man-decapitated-wife-missing/

FWIW, the water does rise and lower anywhere from 1 - 3 ft daily

so whats underwater at one point, if snagged or tethered, can certainly be seen when the water level goes down

the water is usually higher at night

It sounds like she was slumped (head down, feet down) over top of a tree stump. Maybe this what they mean by her being "placed" there?

I really don't know Osu but it sounds to me her head was above the surface face down but her body/feet were straight down. Which sure makes me think she was weighted down with something and that is why when found she was in a vertical position instead of laying out flat horizontally.

IMO

IIRC, in one of the early news reports it said that Russell sold his boat a couple of years ago, but in this article Sills was quoted as saying it was a recent sale.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/08/justice/georgia-elderly-man-decapitated-wife-missing/

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said Dermond had been an active golfer until the last few years and described him as “active – a walker.” He said the couple owned a boat but sold it about two years ago.

http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_76903bee-db9a-11e3-917f-0019bb2963f4.html

Face down and feet down - so kind of like an upside down L? That sounds really odd. Perhaps her feet were tied and still attached to something?

It sure sounds like it to me Vedder.

And I do hope very much that they have also retrieved whatever he used to anchor her down with. That would be a valuable piece of evidence within itself.

Even that can tell them a lot about the suspect and could even link him to the crimes. If they find the suspect then when they do a SW of his home and property they will be looking for anything that is consistent or the same as the weight he used to weigh her down.

IMO

According to the public records on the Putnam County Tax Commisioners site, the last time a tax payment was made by the D's on a boat was 12/14/11. The assessment was $87 for a boat with a fair market value of $12,610.

So they had to have sold the boat sometime in 2012.

http://www.putnamgatax.com/taxes/default.aspx

Shirley’s death leaves an empty place at the table
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:50 am

~snip

More at link: http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_780fad32-e12c-11e3-911e-001a4bcf887a.html

This story just tears at my heart. I can't help but think of my own mom who loved to play bridge. Mrs. D sounds like such a wonderful, sharp, sweet, kind lady. Sounds like she was getting pretty frail too, which makes all of this even more heinous and despicable. I can't even begin to imagine what her family must be going through... My prayers are for them and her friends...

I hope they catch the evil person who did this very soon - and that he suffers for a long, long time.

Poor Gator...just can't get a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member