GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you are saying, but, it was the crime scene and the center of the whole case as far as I am concerned. Would answer some of my questions. jmo
You may be right. I shouldn't compare one murder to another. The front of JonBenet Ramsey's home was shown constantly. However she was found in basement, so not the same.

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

Here is a little more of the article to put the language in question in proper context:

At least one neighbor's security camera is now in the hands of the FBI.

"We discovered some cameras that are pointing out towards the lake…one of them we've already gone through. It had a great picture of their dock, but not the area in question," Sills said.

Okay, does "their" refer to the Dermonds' dock or to the dock of the neighbor whose camera footage has been reviewed by Sills and turned over to the FBI?

I think it could be read as referring to the neighbor's dock. Then the AREA IN QUESTION would be the Dermond dock.

I really think since he was wanting to see a video of the Dermonds dock that he is talking about being able seeing theirs (Ds) and not the neighbors.

"Their dock" is the Dermonds, imo but it wasn't showing the area Sills wanted to see because he already knows which area of the Dermond boat dock was used. Evidently the camera view did not pick up all areas of the dock showing all the sides, back and frontal areas.

Like I said, us southerners, even our sheriffs, have our own way of talking.:D I would be willing to bet he means the Dermonds dock when he says 'their dock.'

I really think since he was wanting to see a video of the Dermonds dock that he is talking about being able seeing theirs (Ds) and not the neighbors.

"Their dock" is the Dermonds, imo but it wasn't showing the area Sills wanted to see because he already knows which area of the Dermond boat dock was used. Evidently the camera view did not pick up all areas of the dock showing all the sides, back and frontal areas.

Like I said, us southerners, even our sheriffs, have our own way of talking.:D I would be willing to bet he means the Dermonds dock when he says 'their dock.'

I am sure Sills was very clear in what he said. The journalist only quoted part of the conversation and left it unclear as to whether "their" referred to neighbor's dock or Dermonds'. The journalist probably didn't write the article expecting us sleuths to parse every word for multiple possible meanings.

My vote is he was talking about the neighbors' dock being clearly shown. First why would a neighbor point his security camera at the Dermonds' dock and not his own? Second, if a boat was used to transport SD's body and it left from the Dermond property, why did it not moor at the dock? Otherwise, the captain would have to wade from the boat to the shore and back again, which I think would be unlikely. Especially if he had a body to get in the boat.

It just seems more plausible this way.

Seeing the aerial view of the Dermond's property really helps me understand how well their killer(s) had to know the area. I still have some difficulty with the couple being able to keep a mult-level 3000+ sq. ft. home spotlessly clean with no outside help...especially with her mobility problems.

I am not good at resizing but can't stand blown margins but do not want all ATL's work to be lost so I am not complaining.

Below are my attempts at resizing the images

Attachments

• aireal dermond.jpg
    aireal dermond.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 54
  • assessor dermond (800x450).jpg
    assessor dermond (800x450).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 226
  • aireal plat dermond (800x450).jpg
    aireal plat dermond (800x450).jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 209
Seeing the aerial view of the Dermond's property really helps me understand how well their killer(s) had to know the area. I still have some difficulty with the couple being able to keep a mult-level 3000+ sq. ft. home spotlessly clean with no outside help...especially with her mobility problems.

Since it is only the two of them, much of the house goes unused. Perhaps Mr. Dermond did the vacuuming? My Pops took that over when my Mother had leg issues.

In this particular link:
http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/3103064/motive-in-lake-oconee-killings.html

"One friend said Dermond, who’d had knee-replacement surgery, enjoyed dancing."

I am wondering if that means that Shirley enjoyed dancing AFTER the knee replacement, or was it mentioned that this is something that Shirley used to do....
IMOO.

I read...somewhere...that a friend transported her to and from bridge because of mobility problems. From the article, it seemed she had knee surgery, but was still somewhat unstable. I think her dancing days were in the past. Eventhough they both seemed very mentally alert and active, they were both almost 90 and such easy prey for whatever did this to them.

Just thought I'd share Mark Winne's background with those of you not familiar with his work in print/ tv here for the last 30 years... I think we'll be seeing him this week for a followup to the D case.

"Mark Winne
Latest from Mark Winne
While Mark Winne was still a student at Auburn University and working part-time at The Birmingham News, he and a photographer spotted a hand sticking out of the trunk of a car and chased it across the city, ultimately leading to the rescue of a kidnap victim. Thus began a career of crime and corruption coverage.

After three and a half years working full-time for the News, Mark was hired by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Later switching to television, he went on the air for WSB-TV in 1986 and has helped Action News break many of Georgia's biggest stories. His print and broadcast work have been honored with numerous professional and civic awards, including a number of Southern Regional Emmys.

Mark's coverage of a series of mail bombings which killed a federal judge and a civil rights attorney led to the publication of his book on the case, "Priority Mail" (Scribner, 1995.)

Mark has been active with a number of charities and especially at church. For several seasons he coached youth basketball and baseball. Married to the former Kate Sievert, he is an avid golfer.
You can follow Mark on Twitter at @MarkWinneWSB."

rumor has it, that she did have housekeeping help.

do we know how severe Shirley's mobility issues might have been? I read about a knee replacement surgery but depending on how far along in her rehab post surgery she could have been experiencing much greater mobility than she had in previous years.

My mom's life was greatly affected by regaining a lot of mobility she had lost thanks to her knee replacement.

“She had a great laugh,” member Carole Stickline said, “a great sense of humor.”

One friend said Dermond, who’d had knee-replacement surgery, enjoyed dancing.

Pat Turney, another member, described the Dermonds as “the perfect retired couple. ... So sweet.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/3103064/motive-in-lake-oconee-killings.html#storylink=cpy

sorry this is aprapo to nothing. I just recall we were all discussing a while back Shirley's limited mobility but it strikes me that at the time of the murder a limited mobility may not have been a factor. The knee replacement is meant to address that issue and often does.

I am sure Sills was very clear in what he said. The journalist only quoted part of the conversation and left it unclear as to whether "their" referred to neighbor's dock or Dermonds'. The journalist probably didn't write the article expecting us sleuths to parse every word for multiple possible meanings.

My vote is he was talking about the neighbors' dock being clearly shown. First why would a neighbor point his security camera at the Dermonds' dock and not his own? Second, if a boat was used to transport SD's body and it left from the Dermond property, why did it not moor at the dock? Otherwise, the captain would have to wade from the boat to the shore and back again, which I think would be unlikely. Especially if he had a body to get in the boat.

It just seems more plausible this way.

I'm with you on it being the neighbors dock. Not to mention the location of the D's dock is in that inlet or leg, whatever you call it. I don't see how any neighbor could have a video at their own dock that would record activity at the D's dock.

Here is a little more of the article to put the language in question in proper context:

At least one neighbor's security camera is now in the hands of the FBI.

"We discovered some cameras that are pointing out towards the lake…one of them we've already gone through. It had a great picture of their dock, but not the area in question," Sills said.

Okay, does "their" refer to the Dermonds' dock or to the dock of the neighbor whose camera footage has been reviewed by Sills and turned over to the FBI?

I think it could be read as referring to the neighbor's dock. Then the AREA IN QUESTION would be the Dermond dock.

Great point! Thanks!

I tend to believe Shirley may have had some sort of help, but feel it was occasional. The Dermonds appear to have lived a very comfortable life. They enjoyed their retirement. They had hobbies, a lovely home, friends in the community. All of this indicates active retirees with means. But sometimes when you are older, you are less comfortable with the idea of constant help. I am of the opinion that the Dermonds had landscapers and perhaps a part time housekeeper who came in once a week or so to do some of the heavier cleaning. Maybe a crew that came in to tackle larger or up higher job a couple of times a year (such as cleaning fixtures hung from high vaulted ceilings - what I might call spring cleaning).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member