GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is far easier for the general public to believe this elderly couple were heinously murdered through some wrong doing of their own (ie. money laundering, drug cartels, mafia connecting, etc) rather than face the fact that the world, even an insular and exclusive one, is a dangerous and scary place where you can suffer horribly through no wrongdoing of your own.
A BIG FAT :cow:

Agree, it seems only natural that locals would believe the murders were done to the D's for a reason - such as listed above. As long as LE is not "defining" their suspected perp, it's natural for folks to think it would be nothing that could target them (local people). That thinking gives more comfort at home and is like a self defense mechanism.

I, too, don't think the Dermonds did anything to cause their deaths. However, there are those among us who don't think rationally, and might take great offense at something normal people would consider trivial. Maybe that's another definition of insane, but I was a social worker for many years, and it's surprising what nuts will do if they think they've been wronged. What was done to the Dermonds is offensive to me, and I continue to pray this case be solved soon.

I too worked in this field and you are so very right.!! We saw the dirty underbelly of society. Both the obviously disturbed as well as those that seem normal until something flips their switch. An example is the family that killed mean old Dad/Grandpa and buried him in the tomato patch in the back yard in south Georgia.

I hope something/anything (that will not hurt the investigation/arrest) will be released soon.

BBM, Outrageous criminal acts are not reasonable.

I do not see this grandmother & grandfather, living out their golden years, rather quietly & graciously, doing anything to anger someone so much to cause murderous rage. All I have read, points to their being respected & living in harmony with family & neighbors.... But my thoughts are based on legal, moral, ethical & socially-acceptable actions.

Also, I balk at the idea of retaliation for long-ago business deal that went bad. Hasn't Mr D been out of the corporate world for many years? On the other hand, someone who would attack, kill & dismember doesn't think the way I think.

All along, I have expected the perp to be a nutcase in the neighborhood who went off the deep end or a wholly random person(s), thrill kill type thing. When Sheriff Sills makes the announcement of arrest(s), I think we will all be thinking "Why? This makes zero sense."

One would have expected robbery to be part of this horrific crime. Minus that, we are looking everywhere. Of course the investigation must check family, neighbors, other associations, business dealings, even the infamous Eatonton cult connection. I think sometimes we over-think possibilities & come up with a script for a really bad tv movie.

<BBM for Focus>

noZme, actually we asked ourselves; Why?, a few threads back...
Imo, the Dermond abduction/murders/decapitation, was to send a message; a political message of retaliation and retribution. Synonymous to that of 09/11/2001 for the RP/GW and the Putnam County community..
Imo, the 05/02/2014 date of the Dermond murders is very significant as too; Why?

Agree, it seems only natural that locals would believe the murders were done to the D's for a reason - such as listed above. As long as LE is not "defining" their suspected perp, it's natural for folks to think it would be nothing that could target them (local people). That thinking gives more comfort at home and is like a self defense mechanism.

I too worked in this field and you are so very right.!! We saw the dirty underbelly of society. Both the obviously disturbed as well as those that seem normal until something flips their switch. An example is the family that killed mean old Dad/Grandpa and buried him in the tomato patch in the back yard in south Georgia.

I hope something/anything (that will not hurt the investigation/arrest) will be released soon.

My husband was asked by a friend to represent his son who was charged with the murder of a real estate agent. She had gone to the house to get it ready to show to clients. The two guys who painted the house were there finishing up. The agent made a comment about the paint and what a bad job had been done. The one guy completely flipped out. He cut her throat and stabbed her many times. All because she had criticized his work. So, it does happen seemingly for no reason but does it really matter when you have people dead. It was apparently reason enough for the perp. I think drug crazed crazy. jmo

http://http://http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising/general-time-corp-winds-down-49611

I did not know General Time Corp.(Westclox, Seth Thomas and Spartus brands) was based in Norcross at the time it went bankrupt and had a plant in Athens for 40+ years. I guess that is how the Ds got to Atlanta originally. Company went bankrupt in 2001 and closed plant in Athens. Salton bought the brands,etc.. Attached article from Adweek.

"From 1942 to 1945 Westclox dedicated its production resources to the war effort..." From Wikipedia under Westclox.

To add to this, I just did a simple search on some of the companies that have connections; some direct and some more distant, to General Time Corp.

Westclox at
Source: Westclox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and from there to
Talley Industries at
Source: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/talley-industries-inc-history/
which eventually led me to an article
Radium Girls
Source: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/03/01/703389/-How-Regulation-came-to-be-Radium-Girls-Part-I

The article Radium Girls spans a time frame from 1898 well into the 1980s, and reaches into the mid 1990s's with a toxic fire in 2012 (Under Westclox source: fire broke out at the Westclox compound in Peru, IL 2012)
The article's focus is on about what happened to those who painted the clock dials. (It is not a MSM article)
There are three parts to the story and although it is not in depth and is somewhat longish to read through, I found it quite interesting; tragic, and unfortunately another black mark in our industrial heritage as well.

I also found it interesting in the fact that something of this nature, which is I would consider from the not too long ago past, could have the potential to generate the kind of rage and seemingly bizarre crime against the D's if someone, maybe a bit unstable to begin with, recently found out that someone that they loved had been a victim of this type of tragedy.

Consider it just some food for thought ---- in a thinking outside of the box way.

[Note: I am not implying the Mr. D did/would/ have had anything to do with what this article is written about, but merely as an example of "something from ones past"]

I have been following the Holly Bobo case in which recent months we have seen arrests and breaks in the case after being cold for a long while.

The suspects IMO perpetrated the crime against Holly and tortured her mercilessly not because of something specific she did or had but simply because of who she was or more specifically what she represented to them. A jealous, envious, hateful rage was spent upon her but it could have been anyone else who represented everything the sickos weren't would never be or would never have. They did not travel in her circles, but in this area they surely knew of her. Ms. Richy Rich spoiled B {please note Holly was none of those things IMO but this is how I feel her killers saw her from a distance}

Again, this is just MOO on the Holly Bobo case but it occurs to me as we all puzzle motive and targeted or not, etc, that the Dermonds could very well have been killed by someone who knew them peripherally from a distance as with Holly. And they simply used the Dermonds to take out all that pent up rage upon.

My main theory is still that of the D's representing some perceived threat to the perp(s) but second is random/targeting as with in the HB case.

Thanks 'shadowofmymind' for the link to Radium Girls. It was an interesting informative article as well as a history lesson. Good read!

Wellll, we aint the only chickens CP ! I wondered, my street has been very quiet, It is scary, don't go alone for sure, I'm not! Got my new Ruger yesterday !

We're having cameras installed this week! :scared:

Oh my. Now you live in Texas and I am getting scared. jmo

Two young men I am familiar with drove up in my driveway the other morning at 6 a.m. My motion detector went off is the only reason I knew someone was at my house. I did not confront them. They were only here a few minutes and the dog was barking like crazy - I think they must have heard her. I called their grandmother later in the day and asked her what they were doing at my house at 6 a.m. She said she didn't know but she would have them call me when they got back at her house. The one boy called me and said he kept telling his brother we had a motion detector and not to turn in my driveway. He said the brakes had gone out on their blazer and they had to use my driveway as it was long to come to a stop. WTH! Were they going to run into my house if they didn't come to a stop?

Just heard today they were arrested in neighboring county. They were caught with meth and a big nice tool box that belonged to the people whom owned the property they were caught parking in the driveway. Not too bright, but very, very dangerous. They're in jail, but for how long and they will be back to this county as that's where their grandmother lives who supports them.

They had been caught previously with weedeaters, lawnmowers, gas cans - grass mowing season, chainsaws - pulling up in people's yards and grabbing stuff like that because it is outside this time of the year.

If I had them on camera I could have prosecuted them for trespassing. Just something to think about. Nice kids when they were younger. Now they are meth heads and wouldn't think twice about killing somebody to get money for more meth.

I know you don't, I am not agreeing or disagreeing, just saying what MOST PEOPLE ARE THINKING, not sure how so many can be so wrong though, and Sills has "plausible" leads with big "ifs" so he says

I understand that your inner circle of friends are saying that.

But the majority can and have been wrong many times before, tomcat. The majority opinion doesn't guarantee most people are right just because they are assuming it was a hit.

There are many all across the net on social media sites who don't believe this was anything to do with a hit, cartel, or the mafia.

I really think Sills/his full staff of deputies/detectives, 7 other Sheriff departments/staff, and 40 FBI agents have a far better advantage of really knowing the particulars of this case than the public at large can ever have and they have valid reasons that support this was not a hit. IMO

After all we really don't know anything about the detailed investigation, the crime scene, nor have we seen the bodies nor do we know what evidence has been uncovered since this all started.

Sills and all the countless deputies, sheriffs and the FBI are the ones that DO know and Sills has said this is not a hit committed by any of the groups that have mentioned.

IMO

Two young men I am familiar with drove up in my driveway the other morning at 6 a.m. My motion detector went off is the only reason I knew someone was at my house. I did not confront them. They were only here a few minutes and the dog was barking like crazy - I think they must have heard her. I called their grandmother later in the day and asked her what they were doing at my house at 6 a.m. She said she didn't know but she would have them call me when they got back at her house. The one boy called me and said he kept telling his brother we had a motion detector and not to turn in my driveway. He said the brakes had gone out on their blazer and they had to use my driveway as it was long to come to a stop. WTH! Were they going to run into my house if they didn't come to a stop?

Just heard today they were arrested in neighboring county. They were caught with meth and a big nice tool box that belonged to the people whom owned the property they were caught parking in the driveway. Not too bright, but very, very dangerous. They're in jail, but for how long and they will be back to this county as that's where their grandmother lives who supports them.

They had been caught previously with weedeaters, lawnmowers, gas cans - grass mowing season, chainsaws - pulling up in people's yards and grabbing stuff like that because it is outside this time of the year.

If I had them on camera I could have prosecuted them for trespassing. Just something to think about. Nice kids when they were younger. Now they are meth heads and wouldn't think twice about killing somebody to get money for more meth.

Oh my gosh. That scares me to death and I don't blame you for getting the cameras. It is scary and you don't know what to do. You don't want to piss them off, but you don't want them to get away with anything either. This is what I think happened with the Dermonds. No telling what could have happened if you went out of the house and confronted them. And they are someone you know right? Just stay safe. jmo

Oh my gosh. That scares me to death and I don't blame you for getting the cameras. It is scary and you don't know what to do. You don't want to piss them off, but you don't want them to get away with anything either. This is what I think happened with the Dermonds. No telling what could have happened if you went out of the house and confronted them. And they are someone you know right? Just stay safe. jmo

Thank you mck16. Yes, they are someone I know. At one point in their life, not too long ago, just kids growing up into nice looking young men. I'm glad I did not confront them either. They could have easily overpowered me and especially if they were on meth they were not in their right mind. I kept thinking of the Dermonds the whole time. I will stay safe and very aware of my surroundings. You be safe too. I think I remember the real estate agent that was murdered you talked about - horrible story too. No reason to murder her at all.

Thank you mck16. Yes, they are someone I know. At one point in their life, not too long ago, just kids growing up into nice looking young men. I'm glad I did not confront them either. They could have easily overpowered me and especially if they were on meth they were not in their right mind. I kept thinking of the Dermonds the whole time. I will stay safe and very aware of my surroundings. You be safe too. I think I remember the real estate agent that was murdered you talked about - horrible story too. No reason to murder her at all.

Yes, it was a big story in the Irving/Dallas area. Being married to a criminal attorney can be very interesting. And they all have their story to justify their behavior. Hoping for an arrest soon. jmo

As an Atlanta firefighter, when we would respond to alarms of residences in the middle of the night. Many times there would be no one at home and we would have to inspect the back yards of the house for signs of fire. When a motion detector floodlight would come on my heart would skip a beat. There was no way to know if the light was automatic, or turned on by a well armed resident with you in their sights. Imo, motion detector floodlights are even more effective than an alarm system at night. BTK; Dennis Rader, was a supervisor for ADT Security Alarm Company...

RE: Meth.. - Tweekers can and will exhibit violent behavior and often times will have an increased labido.. Meth has been a common denominator of many, if not most psychopathic sadistic sexual predators/serial killers that I have researched...Meth was the driving factor of the 1980s CA Speed Freak Killers and many since.. The motive in Holly Bobo's abduction/murder(TN-04/2011) was likely sexual due to meth abuse, imo..

http://chemistry.about.com/od/medicalhealth/a/crystalmeth.htm

I watched a movie not too long ago about a family in the witness protection program. Not too bad - Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfiefer and their 2 kids.

The Family: The Manzoni family, a notorious mafia clan, is relocated to Normandy, France under the witness protection program, where fitting in soon becomes challenging as their old habits die hard.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404311/

Gave me a different perspective of the witness protection program. These people never forget......

Great show on Netflix, two seasons, Lilyhammer. I recommend it to anyone who might also enjoy "Fargo".

Given that may have already been testing your perimeter you might want to consider a trespass order or restraining order to make sure they don't try again.

You might also want to get one of those driveway alarms so that you get a warning if anyone enters the driveway long before getting picked up on the motion lights. I have a blind spot on my property, the driveway, and need to do same.

Forgot to ask you if you live in town or out from the city. ty

Glad to hear you beefed up your security, Bootsctr. Better to lock the barn, before the horse is stolen! :twocents:

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member