GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sills and sheriff's detectives spent June 5 in the state crime lab, he said meeting "with at least eight different criminalists.
He said they had a "long discussion about our forensic evidence-what they had done so far, what they could do, what they needed."
"It was a productive meeting", Sills said.
Sills said among the evidence that has been examined are hundreds of fingerprints, and hair, and tissue samples.
He also confirmed his belief that the Dermonds were murdered with two different weapons.
The autopsy of Shirley Dermond determined the 87 yr old woman died of "blunt force trauma." Sills said he still does not have 88 yr old Russell Dermond's head, but added, "I've said all along that the only reason to take that head was to conceal something."
He said forensic evidence backs his belief in the theory, but he would not discuss what evidence that is.
http://www.msgr.com/eedition/eatont...4f1-be76-524d-a2d5-bc02183ac0f6.html#page_a06

Wow....with this link below being updated 3 weeks ago,........

"A $30,000 reward, donated by Reynolds Plantation,"

Plus

"commitments of $1,000 from three local residents"

Plus

"$10,000 from Solicitor General Russell Thomas’ access to state funds. "

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_0c031440-eb21-11e3-97a4-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

And your post mentions the reward is 45 thousand as of June 19th.
Well, the reward fund is as slow as molasses!!
IMOO.

It surely is. I thought this was the proverbial 'money tree'!

I would imagine it would also affect the income to that property via venue from golf tourneys. It was talk in that one blog about PGA and some top golf folks interested in putting on a tourney there, but I would think this would make folks think twice about coming... JMO.

Brain fog moment... who owns this now? I know it sold from the Reynolds, right? Did they take a huge loss in selling it? Could the motive actually be more in lines with who actually benefits from that area now?

Not sure if my thoughts even make sense right now. But hopefully someone else can figure out what I'm trying to say.

As I've said before, never seen where a reward solved a case. Not sure why that is, but I can't recall one case that was solved even with million dollar rewards. My best guess would be because only those that know about the case could collect, and therefore can't without incriminating themselves.

I don't understand. What is the dollar amount that will make somebody talk? It is $50,000, is it $75,000, or will they not talk until it reaches $300,000?

Is somebody just waiting to see how high the reward goes?

I am beginning to think someone got by with a double murder.

If the reward money (or lack of it) being put up is an indicator ----
makes me wonder

How much of concern about safety in community there really is?
Is it the mind set of the people who live in the community that they should not have to pay into a reward fund to catch criminals?
That those living there really do not know the D's enough to feel that they need to contribute?

Wow....with this link below being updated 3 weeks ago,........

"A $30,000 reward, donated by Reynolds Plantation,"

Plus

"commitments of $1,000 from three local residents"

Plus

"$10,000 from Solicitor General Russell Thomas’ access to state funds. "

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_0c031440-eb21-11e3-97a4-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

And your post mentions the reward is 45 thousand as of June 19th.
Well, the reward fund is as slow as molasses!!

IMOO.

Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:45 am

The reward of nearly $45,000 continues to generate almost no interest, the sheriff said.

http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_35c40320-f72e-11e3-af64-001a4bcf887a.html

2Hope4, a couple of missing/murdered persons cases come to mind where the reward was instrumental in the cases being solved. Usually cases are solved due to a combination of investigative tools and resources being utilized with Awareness being the key, imo.

Without PCSO utilizing social media, it is difficult to generate maximum awareness or convenience for donors, imo. To donate to the reward fund, donors are asked to send checks to his office or the bank. WTH? Who sends checks in the mail?.. Imo, there are likely many reasons the reward hasn't increased any faster than it has. The PCSO needs to create a FB page with a donate button(paypal CC & Debit cards, etc) for the Dermond reward fund.. It is not the large donations that build a reward fund, but the accumulation of $10,$20, $50, and $100 donations combined with the large contributions, imo.

I'm not sure that the age of the victims would be a negative factor for reward donors. Imo, their golden ages would likely enhance the decision to donate..jmo

I think if they were a distant family who didn't get along well or weren't close someone by now wanting their 15 minutes of fame would have already come forward saying they weren't close at all. In 8 weeks not one negative thing has been said about the Dermond parents nor the Dermond children.

I do take into consideration what you have listed. I don't think she just talked about her daughter though. I think she talked about all of her children/grands with much pride just like any other glowing mom/grandmother would do.

They also built their home so they would be in equal distance from their daughter who lives in NC and their sons who lives in Florida. That shows me at least that they were very close knit. Their lives seem to be centered around their children.

I even think they built their home much larger than they needed since there were only two of them. I think they wanted a lot of room so the kids and grands could enjoy their stays with them.

And both of them seem to trust their own two sons explicitly since they appointed both of them to be co-executors over their estate.

I see nothing at all that shows me this family wasn't close. I see the exact opposite.

Jmo though

That's about what I thought. Only, similar to Sills thought.. I believe "everyone is a suspect except me . I know where I've been. :waiting:

BBM:
A miracle would be nice, yes!

I'm thinking, though -- maybe somewhere out there is someone who saw something that day...something they didn't think was unusual at the time, something they've largely forgotten. But imagine, if they by chance heard Carlene's case mentioned ... started thinking, "Hey, I remember something a little odd I saw at Westgate (or wherever) around that time ..." ... and things started coming together...! Yes, maybe a miracle.

Then, too, Carlene's thread is not a really heavily-traveled one, with her case coming from so long ago, as you say; it's possible that just some "new WS eyes" might help somehow. I'm just asking those who will to take a look.

Thanks for the link Backwoods; I have saved the case and plan to look over the details. Why??? Well.... I was living in Macon, GA in 1972 and in fact lived in some apts a couple blocks from the shopping ctr mentioned - but not until 1973. Thanks for sharing and the heads-up.

Just as an additional note of interest... during my 4 years in Macon I visited often good friends who lived in the apt Lauren Giddings was living in. When I saw the LG murder case in June 2011 and saw where she and her sicko murderer lived... it was surprising.

2Hope4, a couple of cases come to mind where the reward was instrumental in the cases being solved. Usually cases are solved due to a combination of investigative tools and resources being utilized with Awareness being the key, imo.

Without PCSO utilizing social media, it is difficult to generate maximum awareness or convenience for donors, imo. To donate to the reward fund, donors are asked to send checks. WTH? Who sends checks in the mail?.. Imo, there are likely many reasons the reward hasn't increased any faster than it has. The PCSO needs to create a FB page with a donate button(paypal CC & Debit cards, etc) for the Dermond reward fund.. It is not the large donations that build a reward fund, but the accumulation of $10,$20, $50, and $100 donations combined with the large contributions, imo.

I'm not sure that the age of the victims would be a negative factor for reward donors. Imo, their golden ages would likely enhance the decision to donate..jmo

Do you remember the cases??? I am truly interested in seeing what information they were able to offer. :loveyou:

I can only hope that the Dermonds scratched the perps, bit them, pulled some hair out, and that the perp cut themselves while beheading Mr. Dermond!!! Something solid to seal this case!!

LE typically starts with those closest to the victim. Can you imagine how long that list would be??? The church members, the bridge players, perhaps cashiers or pharmistics is they visited the same store frequently, the neighbors, and of the neighbors family and friends that visited frequently and the Dermonds had met, anyone that did work for the Dermonds, the Dermonds own family, including their offspring, their grandkids, and any friends of those that visited or knew the Dermonds, any people that had business dealings with them, man the list could go on and on!!! Wonder how long it would take to clear each of them?? Wouldn't they have to verify alibis for each of them??
Do we know if the Dermonds ever entertained at their home? That might add to the suspect list.

I'm kinda surprised that this far into the investigation, and we really don't know much about the Dermonds. A couple that have lived into their 80's, and very little has been stated about them. I don't know if their is a reason for that, if the Dermonds were kinda private people, meaning kept personal, business matters to themselves, or if shared with others of like financial/social status. I'm sure their children are still in shock, and may take some time before they speak out more. Or they may choose to keep quiet.

I think it will take time, but I do believe this will be solved!! Well that is my hope at this point.

2Hope4, a couple of missing/murdered persons cases come to mind where the reward was instrumental in the cases being solved. Usually cases are solved due to a combination of investigative tools and resources being utilized with Awareness being the key, imo.

Without PCSO utilizing social media, it is difficult to generate maximum awareness or convenience for donors, imo. To donate to the reward fund, donors are asked to send checks to his office or the bank. WTH? Who sends checks in the mail?.. Imo, there are likely many reasons the reward hasn't increased any faster than it has. The PCSO needs to create a FB page with a donate button(paypal CC & Debit cards, etc) for the Dermond reward fund.. It is not the large donations that build a reward fund, but the accumulation of $10,$20, $50, and $100 donations combined with the large contributions, imo.

What is interesting to me is the selling point of the donations being tax deductible, and when a person makes a donation at the Peoples Bank, Sheriff Sills mentioned (in the link below) that the bank's personnel will provide an official receipt from Sheriff Sills' office.
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...-11e3-8b46-0019bb2963f4/538e14d839ff5.pdf.pdf

Many posts here commented about the nature of the crimes against Mr&MrsD, an unusual pair of deaths, unusual even for Websleuthers and dyed-in-the-wool true crime followers.
Married couple in their late 80’s appearing to live low profile, gated suburban life seem unlikely targets of planned, violent deaths.
Both died of blunt force trauma to the head.
MrD was decapitated, head was removed from body left at their home.
MrsD’s remains were located several days (2 wks?) later in lake, ~ 5 miles from home.

Was the above, perp(s)’ Plan A, or did perp(s) plan other actions, but …. those plans went awry?

Perhaps perp(s) planned to ___ _ (?) and did not intend to kill either one, but *advertiser censored* happened, leading to both their deaths?
Perhaps perp(s) planned to kill MrD, to convince MrsD to ___(?) and to leave her alive?
Perhaps perp(s) intended to kill Mrs D, to convince MrD to ___(?) and to leave MrD alive?
Which sequence seems most likely?

Imo, depends on who perp(s) are and what Plan A was, and why perp(s) could not accomplish it.
Is it possible perp(s) made a mistake re the address of home to call upon?
Or a mistake re Mr&MrsD’s identity (perp was actually looking for a different MrD & MrsD)?
Or perhaps perp(s) planned these actions, but without much regard to Mr&Mrs D’s specific identities, e.g. just happened to pick quiet neighborhood & elderly couple who seemed physically vunerable, maybe as a ‘bonus’ likely to have property worth taking to sell or fence?

Do you remember the cases??? I am truly interested in seeing what information they were able to offer. :loveyou:

Yes, 2Hope4, Crimestoppers offers rewards and have been responsible for many cases being solved. It is difficult to say how many cases were solved due to the reward, but many cases were solved where rewards were offered. The Mickey Shunick case(LA) is a prime example. There was a large reward in her case, but imo the tipster/s would have offered the info with or without a reward.

There was another case in WA that was solved by a tip from an inmate in Oregon. His last name was Keyes, and I was researching the serial killer Israel Keyes, when I ran across the story. Don't remember the unknown murder suspects name but he was prosecuted for the murder of a beauty school student. The OR inmate was paid the $20,000+ reward and ironically he was serving time for exposing himself to a coffee barista. Emulator Israel Keyes, was originally from WA, and his last innocent victim was Samantha Koenig; a coffee barista(AK).

2Hope4, If you google missing/murdered persons cases solved due to reward, you will find many cases.

http://www.rewardstv.net/tag/solved-murder-case/

Jul 17, 2013 - CrimePAY$ $54,000 Solved Murder Reward Case ... in Omaha over the past five years in which four people were killed who .

Many posts here commented about the nature of the crimes against Mr&MrsD, an unusual pair of deaths, unusual even for Websleuthers and dyed-in-the-wool true crime followers.
Married couple in their late 80’s appearing to live low profile, gated suburban life seem unlikely targets of planned, violent deaths.
Both died of blunt force trauma to the head.
MrD was decapitated, head was removed from body left at their home.
MrsD’s remains were located several days (2 wks?) later in lake, ~ 5 miles from home.

Was the above, perp(s)’ Plan A, or did perp(s) plan other actions, but …. those plans went awry?

Perhaps perp(s) planned to ___ _ (?) and did not intend to kill either one, but *advertiser censored* happened, leading to both their deaths?
Perhaps perp(s) planned to kill MrD, to convince MrsD to ___(?) and to leave her alive?
Perhaps perp(s) intended to kill Mrs D, to convince MrD to ___(?) and to leave MrD alive?
Which sequence seems most likely?

Imo, depends on who perp(s) are and what Plan A was, and why perp(s) could not accomplish it.
Is it possible perp(s) made a mistake re the address of home to call upon?
Or a mistake re Mr&MrsD’s identity (perp was actually looking for a different MrD & MrsD)?
Or perhaps perp(s) planned these actions, but without much regard to Mr&Mrs D’s specific identities, e.g. just happened to pick quiet neighborhood & elderly couple who seemed physically vunerable, maybe as a ‘bonus’ likely to have property worth taking to sell or fence?

From our info there was nothing taken, except the Dermond's lives, Al66pine..
All indicators point to a well planned and meticulously executed heinous crime by very disciplined professionals, imo.. There is only one motive that hasn't been ruled out that I see, and believe me, I wish there were other more humane explanations for the Dermonds' demise..
Imo, The writing on the wall becomes more obvious with each passing day(and there has been 45) with the tremendous investigative resources utilized in this case.. The devil will be in the details, and the details will be contained in biblical scripture; the sword verse...jmo

I have served on a CrimeStoppers Board and never have seen anyone get a tax deductable receipt before. Was SS targeting certain people for this refund? If so, why?

With all the assistance SS has, why didn't someone open up a FB account and paypal?

There is another thing that bothers me...not once have I heard that the phone to report information will answer your call anonymously. Everyone knows your tip through CrimeStoppers is anonymous . Maybe I just missed that announcement.

Although possible, I have to respectfully disagree that there is only one reason for taking RD's head..

* hide evidence, forensic, ballistics, etc.

* to send a subliminal message; verse of the sword.

* create terror and to send fear in those who discover the body, as well as the community.

What do you mean by this? What is it? ty

There has been a tremendous amount of Awareness and interest created in the Dermond abduction/murders/decapitation. Seldom does a crime of this nature that happens in a rural area of the South get the amount of ms media attention that this crime has received, imo.

Some have shared that many of the locals have put this horrific crime behind them and moved on. Considering the total posts and viewership of this Websleuths thread, combined with the boardreader numb3rs over the past 45 days. This case is not loosing interest, imo. Nor will it until the many unanswered questions are solved and Justice is served for the Dermond family.
There is now seven Shirley and Russel Dermond WS threads with total views approaching 400,000. That is an average of almost 9,000 views per day.. The S & D Dermond WS Thread has consistently been a hot thread for six weeks now. Awareness is the key in missing/murdered persons cases.

Boardreader Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
http://boardreader.com/site/Websleuths_Crime_Sleuthing_Com_9288.html

I have served on a CrimeStoppers Board and never have seen anyone get a tax deductable receipt before. Was SS targeting certain people for this refund? If so, why?

With all the assistance SS has, why didn't someone open up a FB account and paypal?

There is another thing that bothers me...not once have I heard that the phone to report information will answer your call anonymously. Everyone knows your tip through CrimeStoppers is anonymous . Maybe I just missed that announcement.

It is like there is a visible paper trail for this donation being tax deductible.
This tax deductible situation has to be a strategy of some sort, in my opinion.
And also, if a person goes "in person" to the Peoples Bank to contribute, well, there's "cameras" there, and with a receipt from Sheriff Sill's office given at Peoples Bank, there doesn't seem to be any anonymity this way, IMOO.
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...-11e3-8b46-0019bb2963f4/538e14d839ff5.pdf.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo