GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct a lot of seniors don't like driving in the dark. But also a lot of seniors eat their meals earlier and it is now lighter...later so they could have gone for an early dinner and been home before dark.

MOO

I'm 51...and have great difficulty driving at night because of glare. I decline most invites that occur after sundown. I agree....seniors eat way earlier and fall asleep earlier; either in the recliner/sofa or the bedroom.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I am very comfortable with my opinion now that this was a done by an armed robber caught in the act while in Russ and Shirley's garage.

So I am back to thinking Russ's murder was spontaneous and that is why there was no struggle per Sills. It came out of the blue with no warning. I think a very heated verbal exchange/altercation was taking place between the soon to be killer and Russ. Russ may have told him to not move and he was going to call the cops and that is why the killer killed him right there.

Of course Shirley's murder was definitely premeditated. Imo, he thought of her as nothing more than collateral damage and looked at it as eliminating all witnesses, IMO. He would do whatever he felt necessary to avoid being caught.

So I do not believe Russ's murder was planned. I think when Russ caught him, most likely in his garage trying to steal something, he then killed him in a panic. I think he shot him in the head. I feel he knew the instant he was caught that all hell was going to break lose if S or R were given an opportunity to call the cops. Imo, Russ and Shirley both knew him, and not only knew him by sight, but knew him by name, and maybe even knew his family as well. IMO

He had to murder Shirley because she had seen him not only attempt to rob them, but she saw him murder her husband, and she could ID him too and he knew it.

Imo, he knew if anyone found out he was robbing elderly neighbors he could spend a very long time in prison even up to 25 years to life. And on top of that there is a law now that if violent crimes (armed robbery is considered a violent crime) are committed against anyone 65 years and older the suspect will do more time. I think it is 10 years that is tacked on, iirc.

Once the murders happened he then had to devote all of his time thinking of ways to dispose of Shirley and Russ to get rid of the evidence. Imo, he also did not want to take any items from their home after the murders. He was trying to distance any evidence involved knowing if found it could be tied back to him. So he takes nothing and tries to stage it to look like a hit and an abduction instead of a robbery.

He was quite clever by trying to stage it to look like a sterilized cold hit, but sometime murderers do not take in the big picture. I don't think he knows how investigations really work and are carried out.

He didn't take into consideration that the first people who would be closely looked at is all family members, and I don't think Sills has ever suspected any of them all along. He is in daily contact with them. He says they have been very cooperative, and quickly answers any questions he may have. So imo, the children have long been ruled out. And he did say yesterday that people have been ruled out, but he will never want to publicly rule anyone out by name. He wants to keep the murderer guessing.

Next they would then delve closely into the background and victimology of the victims themselves to see if they had enemies that would do something like this or if they had done something to someone else in their past or present to create such type of enemies. They would also look to see if their children had any enemies. They found nothing, imo. but a couple who had always lived a very clean life who seem to be very close to their children...... so no one had a reason to put a hit out on either of them in the first place.

So when the FBI profilers looked at what was done, how it was done, and to whom it was done to... they knew it wasn't the work of a hit man, but was committed by someone who was trying to protect their own identity from being known that knew the Dermonds on a personal basis even if casually.

FBI profilers and crime scene reconstructionist have devoted their entire lives studying the type of criminals that do these kind of crimes and the way they do them. That is why they get the huge bucks because they are able to look at the evidence clearly, weighing it all in totality, rather than getting bogged down in the weeds by what the killer wants them 'to believe or think.'

I do believe fully that Sills has identifying DNA whether it is hair, fibers, or even tissue samples, but what he does not have is a suspect to compare his DNA evidence to nor does he have this DNA profile anywhere in a data bank system.........He did tell Mark Winne he has evidence in his possession that will help him once the killer is IDd.

IMO

Excellent observations. Wouldn't be surprised when we come full circle that we arrive back here; at this post.

Sorry for any double posts.

I Grew Up In Ga, I Know Three People that,Can Dress A,Dee 80% 80 Is,WAY OFF Imo

Well I am no further than I was in what I think happened....the beheading changes everything for me when I go to try to piece things together I come right back to that. I find it hard to believe these poor folks knew their killer/killers.

I don't understand this post. Will you please explain?

I'm not a native, but poster may be saying that he/she is (a native of GA), and knows only 3 people that can dress a deer or even larger animal. 80% is way off, in poster's opinion.

And this one can clean up after himself, too! More likely, a team effort. At least 2, as Sills has suggested. I believe two, no more than that.

I'm not a native, but poster may be saying that he/she is (a native of GA), and knows only 3 people that can dress a deer or even larger animal. 80% is way off, in poster's opinion.

Thank you. I didn't realize Sills (or someone) said 80% of Georgians could dress a deer. Could someone please give me a link for that?

I don't understand this post. Will you please explain?

Tomkat grew up in Georgia. She only knows 3 people that can dress a deer. She says 80 percent of people knowing how to dress out a deer is too high.

Thank you. I didn't realize Sills (or someone) said 80% of Georgians could dress a deer. Could someone please give me a link for that?

No, no sorry Hickory! Not Sills! Another poster must have said 80%, but poster perhaps not on reg laptop, computer, etc and couldn't respond to w/e poster must have said it!!

And this one can clean up after himself, too! More likely, a team effort. At least 2, as Sills has suggested. I believe two, no more than that.

I owe you a coke. Yes, 2, no more. Maybe one was waiting in the boat for the loot. I don't know. They may have made more than one trip and got caught on the second trip. #2 didn't kill - may turn in #1 for the reward money. :twocents:

I owe you a coke. Yes, 2, no more. Maybe one was waiting in the boat for the loot. I don't know. They have made more than one trip and got caught on the second trip. #2 didn't kill - may turn in #1 for the reward money. :twocents:

Could be, but I still believe they both hung out in the home overnight...and both murdered imo. One blunt force trauma to head-Shirley and other, bullet to head-Russell.

Mrs. D opened the door that afternoon, early eve imo. She was murdered first. I still hold to that.

Could be, but I still believe they both hung out in the home overnight...and both murdered imo. One blunt force trauma to head-Shirley and other, bullet to head-Russell.

Mrs. D opened the door that afternoon, early eve imo. She was murdered first.

I agree with the bullet to the head for Russell. Hmmmm.... I'm thinking the Dermonds caught them, but not necessarily opened the door for them. She just left the door open when she came outside to see what was going on with Russell.

Do you think they hung out overnight just thinking of what to do? Finally decided to take Mr. Dermond's head because of the bullet? It would be great if LE could find Mr. Dermond's head.

Still hung up on one (two at most) perp who did not go there with a plan to kill them but did so out of self pereservation.

Still believe Russell was killed in or near the garage and Shirley I feel died on the boat.

Still not convinced anyone opened a door for anyone

This not a professional. This is someone who bungled big time and had to think on the fly. Thus far he has been lucky, but his luck is about to run out.

I'd like the answers to the following, course Sills isn't gonna give it:

-did Mr. D own a firearm? I still believe he may have. At some point, Mrs. D was attacked first, and he had nothing left to lose so to speak.

-he was a successful businessman>he knows better than to carry a lot of cash. I'll bet, not much in the home, either. was there a safe in the home? perhaps, not. could have set perps off.

Mrs. D opened the door that afternoon, early eve imo. She was murdered first. I still hold to that.

I don't think they hung out in the house overnight...way too risky. Plus if they did live on the property at GW, they probably live with someone else and they would need to explain where they had been all night. Eatonton closes up at 9pm...you might find a convenience store open a little later.

still thinking daytime but not sure on early friday evening or saturday afternoon.

That could have been the loud voices that someone reported hearing. One perp got mad because of Mr. D being shot in the head and not exiting to be able to retrieve the bullet. Pretty ballsy to be seen walking up to the house frm the water too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper