GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get my mind to go anywhere other than one of two things: My original meth head young strong thief or maybe that cult. It couldn't be a hit, could it? Wouldn't they just shoot them? They wouldn't really need the head for proof. I'm so thrown by why they would submerge Mrs. D. That was why I thought 2 guys and just chaos ensued (to use tomkat's words). Things just went badly when they got caught...? I SO hope something comes out of this meeting or we're going to be in limbo and I want someone caught!!
BTW, good evening sleuths.

Well, what is everyone's take on the WXIA TV video/article; 'A fresh start in investigation into Lake Oconee murders'?
<BBM & sniped from the article> http://www.11alive.com/story/news/crime/2014/07/01/lake-oconee-murders-putnam-county/11936237/

Sills called a four-hour meeting Tuesday with several agencies, including the FBI as well as investigators from the District Attorney's office and some neighboring counties. He said they wanted fresh eyes to help them sift through everything they had from top to bottom.

7 days ago - &#8220;I wouldn't sell my soul to the devil, but I'd lease it out to solve this case,&#8221; Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said Monday with a sigh.

Imo, a good start would be for Sheriff Sills to request the assistance of the well trained and experienced GBI elite special agents in the Dermond murder investigation..

I agree, but I think there is still a degree of hesitancy on Sheriff Sills' part because of the NC and GBI relationship. Fresh eyes and leasing your soul to the devil doesn't sound positive to me in any way. I'd be interested in how far they have gotten in reviewing all the security camera video that they found. If he would just tell us that it was a robbery gone bad, I'd be a little more satisfied but he won't even say that's what he thinks. Maybe an extortion attempt. He's not telling us if they learned anything from the Dermonds' computers except that they were logged into on Friday. I understand you gotta keep your cards close to your chest, but darn! It sure is frustrating for us waiting for a few granules of new information.

Did the Dermond's daughter have any type of stake in the Kentucky Derby? Has anyone looked into this angle? Extortion?

We can't sleuth the family. To look into that angle I think we would have to know more about the daughter and what type of horses they were into. We only know what the bridge club ladies said regarding Shirley and her daughter and the horses.

Since Dermond vanished, she said, “A lot of people have fear. But we’ve never had anything on the lake. Ever. And we’ve been here 22 years. ... It is hard to believe that something like this could happen. Especially to Shirley and Russell Dermond, who were cream-of-the-crop people.”

XXXXX met Dermond about a decade and a half ago when they were part of another bridge club.

Dermond, she said, has a grandson at the University of North Carolina, which XXXXX’s granddaughter attends.

XXXXX said Dermond’s family meant the most to Dermond. “She talked a lot about her daughter and her daughter’s horses.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/3103064/motive-in-lake-oconee-killings.html#storylink=cpy

I agree, but I think there is still a degree of hesitancy on Sheriff Sills because of the NC and GBI relationship. Fresh eyes and leasing your soul to the devil doesn't sound positive to me in any way. I'd be interested in how far they have gotten in reviewing all the security camera video that they found. If he would just tell us that it was a robbery gone bad, I'd be a little more satisfied but he won't even say that's what he thinks. Maybe an extortion attempt. He's not telling us if they learned anything from the Dermonds' computers except that they were logged into on Friday. I understand you gotta keep your cards close to your chest, but darn! It sure is frustrating for us waiting for a few granules of new information.

If the Putnam County Sheriffs Department would emerge from the Mesozoic Era, open a Facebook Page, and utilize twitter, and other social media resources. Maybe, just maybe we could all get some timely answers..jmo

FBI - Social Media for Law Enforcement
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/p...establishing-criteria-for-law-enforcement-use

<snipped - read more>
Departments that create a presence on social media sites open a new door of communication with the general public..

A 2011 survey conducted by the Institute for Criminal Justice Education (ICJE) found that over 78 percent of law enforcement respondents had a social media account. Of those, over 38 percent identified themselves on their profile as policing professionals. This finding illustrates the interest law enforcement officers have in social media, in addition to how they choose to identify themselves to others through social media.

Applying Social Media to Law Enforcement

To their benefit law enforcement agencies can use social media for public relations, crime prevention, and criminal investigation. Departments that create a presence on social media sites open a new door of communication with the general public. By doing so citizens can receive real-time information, as well as an electronic method of asking questions, making suggestions, and providing tips that help solve crimes. For example, in 2011 Kentucky State Police investigators posted photos of jewelry, a tattoo, and a facial composite relating to an unknown body found 10 years earlier. The additional evidence provided in response to the post enabled investigators to identify the deceased person.

[Social media] can help apprehend fugitives, single out associate suspects, link individuals to street gangs, and provide evidence of criminal activity.

Social media can provide an invaluable source of information for investigators. Criminals will use social media to share information about their whereabouts and those of their associates. They also have been known to share photos and videos of their criminal acts. Such electronic information can help apprehend fugitives, single out associate suspects, link individuals to street gangs, and provide evidence of criminal activity.

I can't get my mind to go anywhere other than one of two things: My original meth head young strong thief or maybe that cult. It couldn't be a hit, could it? Wouldn't they just shoot them? They wouldn't really need the head for proof. I'm so thrown by why they would submerge Mrs. D. That was why I thought 2 guys and just chaos ensued (to use tomkat's words). Things just went badly when they got caught...? I SO hope something comes out of this meeting or we're going to be in limbo and I want someone caught!!
BTW, good evening sleuths.

Good evening Happyshoes! :seeya: I think it could be a hit. At this point I think we could all throw a dart at a dartboard with different scenarios and wherever a dart landed would be as good an explanation of what happened to the Dermonds as the next. :moo: I just knew this case would be solved by the Fourth of July! :notgood:

One minute I think Sheriff Sills may be reaching too far and the killer is much closer than he thinks. The next minute I think he's not reaching far enough. :tantrum:

If the Putnam County Sheriffs Department would emerge from the Mesozoic Era, open a Facebook Page, and utilize twitter, and other social media resources. Maybe, just maybe we could all get some timely answers..jmo

Excellent post! I see he's got his e-mail open every time they interview him in his office with his computer. He needs to check out twitter and FB for sure. I love twitter! FB is good too, I'm just a little scared of FaceBook and privacy issues, but for keeping communication open to the public directly to Law Enforcement by utilizing Twitter and Facebook they can't be beat.

It seems like there are always 5-8 guests on here and I wonder if maybe they do have someone monitoring this site, and like you guys said, facebook and twitter, too. I think it's going to be a long weekend without any news - again! I also think Sills is afraid of leaks, maybe that has been a problem before (certainly sounded like it with the GBI), so let's all just hope and pray he is doing the right thing. Whoever did this must have killed Mr. D outside and they just can't get anything that's not contaminated?? I was so hoping that cell phone was not the Dermond's...wouldn't that have been great?

It seems like there are always 5-8 guests on here and I wonder if maybe they do have someone monitoring this site, and like you guys said, facebook and twitter, too. I think it's going to be a long weekend without any news - again! I also think Sills is afraid of leaks, maybe that has been a problem before (certainly sounded like it with the GBI), so let's all just hope and pray he is doing the right thing. Whoever did this must have killed Mr. D outside and they just can't get anything that's not contaminated?? I was so hoping that cell phone was not the Dermond's...wouldn't that have been great?

I've wondered too if the killer read here. I wouldn't doubt it. I hope Sheriff Sills does have someone monitoring this site, cause there's been some intriguing theories posted here! I think both Dermond's were killed near or inside their garage. I still say there has to be a link between the killer and the Dermond's somewhere. I know this case is very frustrating for us, it must be so much more frustrating for Sheriff Sills. I hope something breaks soon!

it's mind boggling that no evidence was left behind when the horrific crime committed was Decapitation. I'm stumped as to how is that forensically possible. This case has the hallmark sign of a Dexter episode; no evidence left behind, a perfect murder.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

<BBM for Focus>

The problem with the paranoia by SS concerning leaks, and the GBI being infiltrated, imo, is that there are many investigators from other county Sheriff's departments assisting in the Dermond murder investigation.
It has been verified that six NC members had infiltrated the Macon Police Department and Athens/Clarke County Corrections Dept. Who knows which other local LEAs have also been infiltrated?

it's mind boggling that no evidence was left behind when the horrific crime committed was Decapitation. I'm stumped as to how is that forensically possible. This case has the hallmark sign of a Dexter episode; no evidence left behind, a perfect murder.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

You've said what I've been scared to say. . . Dexter. I have never watched it, but it has been in the news twice recently and both were NOT good stories. It's started coming on a channel I get now, the old episodes and they're not playing them in any order that I can figure out.

Good evening Happyshoes! :seeya: I think it could be a hit. At this point I think we could all throw a dart at a dartboard with different scenarios and wherever a dart landed would be as good an explanation of what happened to the Dermonds as the next. :moo: I just knew this case would be solved by the Fourth of July! :notgood:

One minute I think Sheriff Sills may be reaching too far and the killer is much closer than he thinks. The next minute I think he's not reaching far enough. :tantrum:

Yes, I think it could be a hit. Someone who would gain something from the deaths of both Mr. and Mrs. Dermond, could have hired a hit man or men. It reminds me of Fred Tokars in Atlanta, and Alan Blackthorne in San Antonio. It took LE many years to connect the dots, that both of these individuals, had hired hit men to murder their wives.

Sheriff Sills is very media savvy, and feels the need to make generic statements to the press from time to time. I'm hopeful he has a lot of evidence, and is taking his time to build a solid case. :twocents:

IMHO

You've said what I've been scared to say. . . Dexter. I have never watched it, but it has been in the news twice recently and both were NOT good stories. It's started coming on a channel I get now, the old episodes and they're not playing them in any order that I can figure out.

I know what you will be doing this weekend!

Yes, I think it could be a hit. Someone who would gain something from the deaths of both Mr. and Mrs. Dermond, could have hired a hit man or men. It reminds me of Fred Tokars in Atlanta, and Alan Blackthorne in San Antonio. It took LE many years to connect the dots, that both of these individuals, had hired hit men to murder their wives.

Sheriff Sills is very media savvy, and feels the need to make generic statements to the press from time to time. I'm hopeful he has a lot of evidence, and is taking his time to build a solid case. :twocents:

IMHO

Not familiar with Fred Tokars in Atlanta. Will do some googling. Alan Blackthorne is pure evil! Cold chill runs up and down my spine when I think about him and what he did to his wife. It did take a long time for LE to solve her murder.

IMHO

Maybe the killer was trying to make sure someone else didn't gain something?

Not familiar with Fred Tokars in Atlanta. Will do some googling. Alan Blackthorne is pure evil! Cold chill runs up and down my spine when I think about him and what he did to his wife. It did take a long time for LE to solve her murder.

I have the book by Ann Rule about Alan Blackthorne. It's been years since I read it, all Ann Rule's books are great!

Every Breath You Take: A True Story of Obsession, Revenge, and Murder: Ann Rule: 9780743439749: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51A8B2SutcL.@@AMEPARAM@@51A8B2SutcL

Night guys! :beagle: is whining to go to :eek:fftobed:

tomkat if you're out there, you stay off that copperhead road now you hear? lol.

http://youtu.be/xvaEJzoaYZk

Off topic: I can't remember who posted that picture of the GIGANTIC copperhead snake, but that's the biggest copperhead I have ever seen. I thought we grew things big in Texas, but by gosh that copperhead was HUGE! We grow peanuts here where I live too (not as much as we used to - have a peanut queen) and watermelons. Love them boiled green peanuts and watermelon wine!

http://youtu.be/XWdmi1rHO5g

Okay, me and the dog are going to watch Dexter! You win wildebeest! lol!

Ann Rule is one of my favorite authors. She doesn't write them fast enough! Have read all of her books.

I've read most of them, but her more recent ones I missed. Is she still writing books? I hope so. Ann Rule can take the reader into the story like no other true crime writer, that's for sure!

P.S. I've been meaning to ask you who that is in your avatar, LOL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214