GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While we are in a lull, without info and updates by SS, this is an excellent article concerning the victim selection, escalation, etc., of a sexual predator/serial killer;

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/investigators/serial_killers.html

Serial Killers - A Homicide Detective's Take - ExpertLaw
It was during my tenure of over 20 years as a homicide Detective and Detective Sergeant with the Miami Police Department that I investigated six serial murders..

1. Credentials and Interest
2. Common Knowledge
3. Genesis of a Serial Killer
4. Victim Selection
5. Victim Objectification
6. Denouement
7. Case Histories

Thank you so much OTPTarheel! Plus, all three were being held without bond! Quite a few guns. Over $1400 dollars in cash and security cameras! This is link is going into my Investigation file folder too! It's a great one! :loveyou:

No bond? Really?
For an unpublished amount of meth, guns, cameras and a litttle cash?? All total less than 25K.
That seems odd...IMO.

I hope Sheriff Sills knows about that LinkedIn account. I think that is worth following up.

I meant to mark my place a long time ago. On a poster's advice, I downloaded a police scanner. Chicago's is the best as they use plain English. And of course, the dispatchers are extremely busy. Especially this past weekend.
Maybe it's time to go back to the beginning. Who was responsible for keeping the cameras at the gate loaded?
Have there been any guards who have left their job since the murder?

For whatever reason, I still feel strongly that a car was used. No boat. I don't care what SS says. I don't see pros able to, or willing to navigate a small boat on a dark lake with a body. I think they kept it very simple. A car was their best getaway.

May be time to bring in the GBI.

Are all the cool icons gone?! JMO.

No bond? Really?
For an unpublished amount of meth, guns, cameras and a litttle cash?? All total less than 25K.
That seems odd...IMO.
Back to Sims and the Smiths...Has anyone seen a report of a connect to that Palacios meth dealer from Lilburn who was arrested on Jun 9 with a kilo of meth?

Back to Sims and the Smiths...Has anyone seen a report of a connect to that Palacios meth dealer from Lilburn who was arrested on Jun 9 with a kilo of meth?

Haven't seen a connection. The guy owns a business- no property bond? Really?

Lake folks- any late night boating/loud late night boating on Sinclair/ Oconee since the Smith arrests? Just curious...

Good Morning Everyone! LTNS!

I have missed all of you.:loveyou:

I haven't even been able to keep up with this case lately due to being so busy with real life but I take it from scanning the last few posts this morning there hasn't been an arrest made.

I continue to have hope that Sills will be able to solve this one.

Well I am off once again trying to beat the rising heat and humidity which can become unbearable by 11am.

Stay well my friends.

http://www.examiner.com/article/put...sills-profile-of-cop-over-dermond-couple-case

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills: Profile of cop over Dermond couple case
May 15, 2014
Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills is an enigma to the hundreds of news journalists reporting about him and the bizarre murder and missing person case he is currently overseeing in the state of Georgia. And the local paper, the Eatonton Messenger, says the Southern sheriff has said he isn't talking anymore about the case until he has something to talk about.

But a quick look by the Atlanta Top News Examiner shows that he is as open a person as one might ever expect to find based upon his disclosures made after being named the Georgia Sheriff of the Year in 2013 while serving as the Putnam County Sheriff.

The Russell and Shirley Dermond case has propelled this Georgia Sheriff Association's Sheriff of the Year front and center in his community in Putnam County and around the nation, so he will probably never have to worry that someone does not know who he is in Eatonton, Ga. and beyond for some time. But whether he is remembered as the lawman who sought and achieved justice for the victims in this case will be determined by the success of his investigation, which is currently one being done in conjunction with many other law enforcement agencies in the country, including the GBI and the FBI. Because the one thing Mr. Sills stressed more than maintaining independence of his office in his speech was that the job must get done--by the sheriff's office.
<sniped & BBM - read more- video>

I shared on FB and tweeted FoxFire!

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_8ae466a0-5d15-11e3-8a55-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

A joint investigation into violations of the Georgia Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act initially centered on a Putnam County man.

In June, sheriff’s offices in Jones, Putnam, and Baldwin counties started an investigation of methamphetamine distribution within the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit.

The investigation began with Robert Olin Rosser, 52, 109 Roosevelt Road, Haddock.

According to Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills, Rosser is originally from Putnam and was known for participating in drug activity in the area. His last arrest by the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office occurred in 2000 for a probation violation.

“He fell off our radar after his last arrest, but soon caught the attention of Jones County law enforcement,” Sills said.

Sills told Channel 2’s Mark Winne that someone logged on to the Dermond’s computer at their home during the afternoon of Friday, May 2. He presumes it was one of the Dermonds, Sills said.

Sills said approximately 24 hours later, on May 3, the couple failed to show at a Kentucky Derby party.
At roughly the same time, something terrible happened at the Dermond’s house, Sills said.

Sills said his educated suspicion is that at least at least one of the killers at the house knew the Dermonds-- not especially well-- and showed up to steal something the Dermonds did not have or could not get.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/sheriff-killer-likely-knew-reynolds-plantation-cou/ngK8c/

In this article it appears Sills thinks the Dermonds were killed Saturday afternoon. They logged onto their home computer on Friday afternoon and then about the same thing on Saturday something bad happened to the Dermonds. So maybe the Dermonds did plan to go to the party, but maybe he or Shirley started felt sick when they woke up Saturday morning and they decided they wouldn't attend the Derby Party and the perp expected them to be going to the Derby party, but was surprised when they were at the home.

Haven't seen a connection. The guy owns a business- no property bond? Really?

Lake folks- any late night boating/loud late night boating on Sinclair/ Oconee since the Smith arrests? Just curious...
There was a post (6/30) on one of the Lake Sinclair FB pages stating that he owned a jet boat which fit the description. I think I referred to it as an air boat earlier. My mistake. No more posts about it since then.

Sills told Channel 2&#8217;s Mark Winne that someone logged on to the Dermond&#8217;s computer at their home during the afternoon of Friday, May 2. He presumes it was one of the Dermonds, Sills said.

Sills said approximately 24 hours later, on May 3, the couple failed to show at a Kentucky Derby party.
At roughly the same time, something terrible happened at the Dermond&#8217;s house, Sills said.

Sills said his educated suspicion is that at least at least one of the killers at the house knew the Dermonds-- not especially well-- and showed up to steal something the Dermonds did not have or could not get.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/sheriff-killer-likely-knew-reynolds-plantation-cou/ngK8c/

In this article it appears Sills thinks the Dermonds were killed Saturday afternoon. They logged onto their home computer on Friday afternoon and then about the same thing on Saturday something bad happened to the Dermonds. So maybe the Dermonds did plan to go to the party, but maybe he or Shirley started felt sick when they woke up Saturday morning and they decided they wouldn't attend the Derby Party and the perp expected them to be going to the Derby party, but was surprised when they were at the home.

Interesting...do you think the perp(s) went to the Dermond's home thinking they were at the Derby party??? :twocents:

IMHO

The initial investigation revealed Rosser and other individuals periodically made trips to the Atlanta area, where they purchased methamphetamine and returned to Middle Georgia for distribution.

What started in Jones soon stretched to Putnam and Baldwin. After additional months of surveillance, the investigation extended to Wilkinson, Washington, Jasper, Bibb, Butts, Monroe, Clayton, and Cobb counties.

The result of the investigation was 350 arrests and seizure of more than one-half pound of methamphetamine, 33 firearms, more than $23,000 in cash, and 20 vehicles.

Of the 350 arrests made, 48 were from the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit area.

Arrests began in late October.

Five people arrested were from Putnam County, including Keith Martin Belcher, 54, 110 Cherry Point; Allison Dawn Clark, 40, 203 North Washington Ave.; Gerald Edward Hampton, 51, 167 Spring Road SE; Brandy Nichole Plummer, 30, 331 Twilight Shores; and David Allen Prather, 47, 331 Twilight Shores.

All individuals were charged with one count of RICO as of Nov. 25.

Sills says Belcher is the only person who must return to Putnam to face additional charges.

He also was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and possession of a firearm or knife while trying to commit crimes.
http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_8ae466a0-5d15-11e3-8a55-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

So the people who were arrested on June 20th were part of the ongoing RICO investigation? The judge must have considered them very high flight risk as they are all being held without bond.

Hiya wildebeest! After reading that article, I do believe maybe the perp(s) went to the Dermond home expecting them to be gone. I wish I could stop being so wishy-washy. All along I have thought that Derby Party somehow played into the Dermonds' murders. Maybe the perp(s) had a list of people planning to attend the Derby party and planned to hit all their houses. They accessed GW/RP by way of the Dermond's boat ramp or even further back on adjoining property. Perhaps the Dermonds were a little slow getting off to the party and the Dermonds and the perp(s) ran into each other. What's your opinion WB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties