GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Risk it in what way? They either know or will know soon. If the know now what does it hurt to confirm it was before or after the ME stated as the official time of death? Its not like they are keeping it from Ross. They have to disclose all the evidence before trial anyways so I would think letting him know they are closing in on the truth might break him into a plea or confession. I never understood the "keeping things close to the vest" unless a suspect was still at large and they didn't want to ID them just yet etc.

The information officer said it himself.....run the risk of Mr. Harris getting a fair trial for one thing.

I also don't think the LE are gonna put out in the public domain all of their information.....IMO, they never do.

And I sincerely hope there is not a Casey Anthony part 2, as someone said upthread....I am not over Part 1 by a damn long shot yet, IMO

This ME will be lucky if he still has a job with the county by the time the trial happens if one happens. This man apparently doesn't have a great reputation for getting things right. You would have to research that yourself. This was news to me but I did read that his job is under review and will be until July sometime when the county decides if they keep him on. I don't think these are part of the audit they conducted but he has had 3 cases (that i read on a link provided in tread 1) where he got the cause of death wrong which in turn affected the manner of death declaration resulting in 3 guilty people walking free and all 3 accused going on to kill an additional person each. So ..... Not good

Good grief, with his background...he's a defense attorneys wet dream, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ME will be lucky if he still has a job with the county by the time the trial happens if one happens. This man apparently doesn't have a great reputation for getting things right. You would have to research that yourself. This was news to me but I did read that his job is under review and will be until July sometime when the county decides if they keep him on. I don't think these are part of the audit they conducted but he has had 3 cases (that i read on a link provided in tread 1) where he got the cause of death wrong which in turn affected the manner of death declaration resulting in 3 guilty people walking free and all 3 accused going on to kill an additional person each. So ..... Not good

The family of the deceased could demand an independent autopsy. Somehow I doubt that this will happen (((giving RH and his defence team more wiggle room to cast doubt on the current ME and hence the whole investigation))). I would hope that LE insists on getting another ME (don't think that can happen though can it))

If he wanted to know about how long it takes a child to die in a hot car, why look up animal hot car deaths? Some might say so it would be less suspicious, but it wouldn't bring up the info he was looking for.

Well he might think so if the animal is the same weight as Cooper... A lot of the warnings reference kids and pets in the same health notice sometimes. He might have thought that was a work around to still finding the info he was looking for. Or maybe whatever his reason for looking it up checks out... Who knows. If it didnt I don't get why they backed away from the first degree cruelty charge. It might be because they can't confirm when it was searched but could also be he had a reasonable answer.

Honestly I think its weird any parent wouldn't assume a child would die pretty fast if trapped in extreme heat. Doesn't seem like something one would need to research.

A child that died from hyperthermia in a car is not the same as a person dying in a home. A car is a heck of a lot smaller than a house is. And in this particular case, the car was entered and then the father shut the door again with him in the car with that smell. The smell was going to be obvious. Not to mention the fact that the child had eaten breakfast before he died. His stomach was not empty when he died. There is no way, IMO, that the father could not smell that smell before he finally stopped the car and alerted that he "needed help". This case makes me sick to my stomach. That poor little boy, left to die by the "caring father" that had just taken him out to eat breakfast.

MOO

Was there any busy place closer he could have pulled off for help if he noticed as he was pulling out of work? I'm not familiar with the road he worked on
There sure is! Cumberland Mall for one. There is also.the CCT bus station...
However you are loooking at parking lots without alot of people.
In order to draw anyone out of a location, IMO Akers Mill would have been the easiest to get witnesses outside.
Did anyone catch the names of where the witnesses were eating?
Cumberland Mall

http://goo.gl/maps/IgdmG

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

Well he might think so if the animal is the same weight as Cooper... A lot of the warnings reference kids and pets in the same health notice sometimes. He might have thought that was a work around to still finding the info he was looking for. Or maybe whatever his reason for looking it up checks out... Who knows. If it didnt I don't get why they backed away from the first degree cruelty charge. It might be because they can't confirm when it was searched but could also be he had a reasonable answer.

Honestly I think its weird any parent wouldn't assume a child would die pretty fast if trapped in extreme heat. Doesn't seem like something one would need to research.
Someone had a dog.
I don't know if this was the dad's dog or the grandadad's dog. I think perhaps the grandad. I didn't notice if they allow dogs in the rental units.

"Thursday afternoon, a handful of cars were parked outside the family’s condo. A man identifying himself as Justin Harris’ father, Reggie, came outside to walk the family dog."

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/child-believed-left-in-car-in-cobb-has-died/ngNdR/

I looked about the pet policy and it said to call, so it seems pets aree allowed in some circumstances.
moo

The family of the deceased could demand an independent autopsy. Somehow I doubt that this will happen (((giving RH and his defence team more wiggle room to cast doubt on the current ME and hence the whole investigation))). I would hope that LE insists on getting another ME (don't think that can happen though can it))

The defense could though or at least hire someone to review the notes of the ME who preformed the autopsy. Being they are having a funeral this weekend have released the body to his mother the ship of having an second private autopsy has probably sailed. As for the defense they might not have requested it knowing the probs this ME faces. They might think they can tear him apart and poke holes in his findings at trial. It wouldn't help the prosecution being his job is currently on the line at the time of his investigation. Wouldn't want a conflict of interest situation to be implied to a jury that ME had a vested interest to back the DA up on charges already filed. . They should have suspended his contract until they decided his fate.

Isn't the daycare at his place of employment? I thought I had read somewhere that it was but not sure. Did he take the child there everyday? Did he pick him up every evening?

Why didn't he head to the daycare first after work rather than start the drive home?

I think if the search was not made that recently, the defense could make a case that it is just a coincidence. And maybe it is.

I am not a follower of any of this ME's previous cases.

I am simply taking the preponderance of the evidence alleged to exist at this time and I belief the DA decided that the manner of death was homicide c=because it fits the legal criteria of the child cruelty charge which then prompted the murder charges (homicide)

MOD and the findings of how long that child had been in the car. The trip to Chick-Fil-A and the trip to put something in front seat of car around the noon break that all contributed to the prosecution deciding to charge what they have. MOO DA decided charges therefore determined cause of death and if the ME was in charge of that finding I would think he was minding his Ps and Qs if so much scrutiny is on him.

There sure is! Cumberland Mall for one. There is also.the CCT bus station...
However you are loooking at parking lots without alot of people.
In order to draw anyone out of a location, IMO Akers Mill would have been the easiest to get witnesses outside.
Did anyone catch the names of where the witnesses were eating?
Cumberland Mall

http://goo.gl/maps/IgdmG

Some pizza place.

So if you needed help because you realized your son has been in the car all day are you saying its not all that crazy he picked this place thinking the other places you referenced might be empty lots? He could have called 911 obviously I'm asking if you were looking for immediate help...

:wave: hello to all our guests

You should join and give us your thoughts

I am not a follower of any of this ME's previous cases.

I am simply taking the preponderance of the evidence alleged to exist at this time and I belief the DA decided that the manner of death was homicide c=because it fits the legal criteria of the child cruelty charge which then prompted the murder charges (homicide)

MOD and the findings of how long that child had been in the car. The trip to Chick-Fil-A and the trip to put something in front seat of car around the noon break that all contributed to the prosecution deciding to charge what they have. MOO DA decided charges therefore determined cause of death and if the ME was in charge of that finding I would think he was minding his Ps and Qs if so much scrutiny is on him.

Just want to note no where has "noon" been verified as the time he went to the car. Lunchtime could have been 1,2 or whenever. I also don't think its up to a DA to determine the manner of death? I thought only a forensic pathologist /medical examiner trained to do so could.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/facts-will-show-death-kid-hot-car-not-negligence-says-n140491

Per the above link:
"This investigation, although similar in nature to others, must be weighed on its own merit and the facts that lead our detectives to charge the father must be presented at the appropriate time during the judicial process.

"The chain of events that occurred in this case does not point toward simple negligence and evidence will be presented to support this allegation."

Yes, that and the supposed wet head :/

Well witness said he look liked he's been in a pool with wet matted down hair etc but I'm not sure he meant he was still currently dripping wet. Also, the poor kid would have sweat intensely as his system tried to cool his core temp so that part doesn't bother me. The stiff part bothers me a little. If he is stiff then he prob smelled at lunch even if lunch was a late lunch..

Some pizza place.

So if you needed help because you realized your son has been in the car all day are you saying its not all that crazy he picked this place thinking the other places you referenced might be empty lots? He could have called 911 obviously I'm asking if you were looking for immediate help...
The fact that he was employed by the PD in Tuscaloosa, as a dispatcher for 2 years... he could have pulled over at several locations and called 911 himself and started CPR. Cumberland Mall has Mall security riding the parking lots.
He passed a Barnes and Noble or some larger bookstore prior to crossing 41 to get to Akers Mill.
Me personally I would have stopped somewhere else sooner.
No! I wouldn't have made it out of the parking lot.
I wouldn't have been able.to drive
moo
He would have passed,
Hampton Inn, Suntrust Bank,
Costco, Bank of America, Quizno's, The entire Mall... I think there is also a gas station outside Costco? All before getting to Akers Mill.

Isn't the daycare at his place of employment? I thought I had read somewhere that it was but not sure. Did he take the child there everyday? Did he pick him up every evening?

Why didn't he head to the daycare first after work rather than start the drive home?

Not onsite as in connected to the same building. Wife picks up everyday so he wouldn't have gone to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GemGemma01