GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, just got through reading the first thread. After seeing the maps of the distances between the places, why didn't the father just drive back to Chick Fil A for "the reveal"- if he wasn't going to do it at work- rather than drive farther to this mall to be discovered? Weren't there enough people at Chick Fil A, or was it something to do with him being there in the morning that he didn't want to go back there??? It looked closer on his way home.

This man would have to be super human to return to work knowing his child was dead and not seem odd...I mean that's an Oscar winning performance .. In my opinion...and anytime I type, that's all it is...this was either maliciously premeditated or an accident. The rest is just crazy babble or psychopathic lies. The psychology of his accepting what happened actually could have begun hours earlier and denial took him just so far.... And denial works on all the senses, even smell.

Well, being in IT, he may have a "lone wolf" sort of job and not have to interact with other staff members much on a regular basis, so maybe he didn't have to put on an act. Just a thought. I am not fixed on any one scenario yet, a number of them seem plausible. Hopefully, we'll know more soon.

Yes, they can. Dead people can burp and fart hours into rigor. Dead people, in repose, can also suddenly sit a little upright and burp really loud.

I only know this after google searching, and after my father's horrific story of seeing his great uncle in repose, after being dead for several hours, suddenly sit up and burp.

It really is unnerving to read about how a body is prepared for a funeral. I plan to be cremated ASAP after death with no mortuary preparation.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/source-cobb-father-new-child-was-left-hot-car/ngRn6/

" Sources tell Channel 2 Action News there is evidence that a Cobb County father knew his son was left in the back of his car. The child died after several hours in the hot vehicle.""There's a difference between negligence and gross negligence," Cobb Police spokesman Mike Bowman said at a press conference. "The thing about the negligence is that it could happen to anybody. The gross negligence shows that there's some other circumstances revolving around this."

=======================================================

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/25/justice/georgia-toddler-death/

"There's a difference between negligence and gross negligence," Cobb Police spokesman Mike Bowman said at a press conference. "The thing about the negligence is that it could happen to anybody. The gross negligence shows that there's some other circumstances revolving around this."

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tuscaloosa/obituary.aspx?n=cooper-mills-harris&pid=171490524&fhid=8345It's interesting that despite there being no mention of marital discord (past or ongoing) the parents names are listed separately in the obituary. That's typical in cases of separation and divorce, but not the norm if parents are still together and cohabitating.

Has any mention been made of marital status ? If not, the separate listing of names could be an indication that that mother is not supportive of the accused and may not necessarily believe the death was a horrible accident

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tu...n=cooper-mills-harris&pid=171490524&fhid=8345It's interesting that despite there being no mention of marital discord (past or ongoing) the parents names are listed separately in the obituary. That's typical in cases of separation and divorce, but not the norm if parents are still together and cohabitating.

Has any mention been made of marital status ? If not, the separate listing of names could be an indication that that mother is not supportive of the accused and may not necessarily believe the death was a horrible accident
I believe that she has a degree of some sort and is licensed in the medical field in general.
While she may have been his wife, I do not believe that she is supporting him blindly. It was reported they had trouble conceiving. I don't see any mother who fought to conceive her child, supporting a rediculous story like the father has given.

LE knew within the first hour that the dad was not being truthful and suspected him of murder.
I wonder when they spoke with mom.

My heart breaks for her.
moo

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tuscaloosa/obituary.aspx?n=cooper-mills-harris&pid=171490524&fhid=8345It's interesting that despite there being no mention of marital discord (past or ongoing) the parents names are listed separately in the obituary. That's typical in cases of separation and divorce, but not the norm if parents are still together and cohabitating.

I'm confused.....never mind I see what you're saying....instead of J&LH it is JH & LH is that what you are inferring?

You are sharper than me that slipped by me

I believe that she has a degree of some sort and is licensed in the medical field in general.
While she may have been his wife, I do not believe that she is supporting him blindly. It was reported they had trouble conceiving. I don't see any mother who fought to conceive her child, supporting a rediculous story like the father has given.
LE knew within the first hour that the dad was not being truthful and suspected him of murder.
I wonder when they spoke with mom.

My heart breaks for her.
moo

bbm

everything I've seen -- the obituary and no statements or innuendo from family members to the contrary and NOTHING from LE, not even innuendo, suggests that the mother is not fully supporting the father. Misleading and dramatic msm headlines that he's "barred from the funeral" notwithstanding.

LE may have THOUGHT within the first hour that the dad was not being truthful and charged him with first degree neglect (with intent) and the related charge of felony murder. Then then released/leaked a bunch of info (hot car/animal searched and "lunch time" trip to the car) while downgrading the charges to require proof only of criminal neglect. So if they thought he committed murder within the first hour, they changed their minds when they had to commit to it publicly. jmo

eta: delete that ridiculous emoticon. I so can't stand those things for the most part :/

Yes, they can. Dead people can burp and fart hours into rigor. Dead people, in repose, can also suddenly sit a little upright and burp really loud.

I only know this after google searching, and after my father's horrific story of seeing his great uncle in repose, after being dead for several hours, suddenly sit up and burp.

I'm pretty sure that's a reflex called the Lazarus sign. The sitting up part that is.

I found an interesting quote in HuffPo that explains why prosecutors changed the charges from first to second degree cruelty : " First-degree cruelty to children requires that a person "willfully deprives the child necessary sustenance," while second-degree cruelty to children is caused by "criminal negligence" under Georgia law."

Seems like GA law is pretty specific with regards to these charges, and since Cooper was clearly not starved (in fact he likely got breakfast at home AND at Chik-Fil-A that very morning) there was no choice but to choose the lesser, more fitting charge.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5530637

All IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ME has not gotten tox back yet per JVM on HLN

which implies tox has been ordered.

They probably want to check if he was drugged which might explain why no one heard a screaming child locked in oven like car for hours.

I want to know if the accused was blood tested for drugs when he was booked. Would that be standard procedure too?

Would those results only be revealed at trial?

I found an interesting quote in HuffPo that explains why prosecutors changed the charges from first to second degree cruelty : " First-degree cruelty to children requires that a person "willfully deprives the child necessary sustenance," while second-degree cruelty to children is caused by "criminal negligence" under Georgia law."

Seems like GA law is pretty specific with regards to these charges, and since Cooper was clearly not starved (in fact he likely got breakfast at home AND at Chik-Fil-A that very morning) there was no choice but to choose the lesser, more fitting charge.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5530637

All IMO.

That doesn't explain anything because it's incomplete and wrong. One has to ask themselves how likely is it that criminal child neglect would relate only to food and water. Once the question is asked, the absurdity should be apparent.

The statute provides that one is guilty of first degree child neglect if:

Parent, guardian, or other person supervising a child under the age of 18 willfully deprives the child of necessary sustenance to the extent that the child's health or well-being is jeopardized. O.C.G.A. 16-5-70(a). "Sustenance" means that necessary food and drink which is sufficient to support life and maintain health. Caby v. State, 249 Ga. 32 (1982). OR when such person maliciously causes a child under the age of 18 cruel or excessive physical or mental pain. O.C.G.A. 16-5-70(b).

bbm

and if there's any question, here's the actual statute language:

(b) Any person commits the offense of cruelty to children in the first degree when such person maliciously causes a child under the age of 18 cruel or excessive physical or mental pain.

(c) Any person commits the offense of cruelty to children in the second degree when such person with criminal negligence causes a child under the age of 18 cruel or excessive physical or mental pain.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-5/article-5/16-5-70/

It's ridiculous to me that people who have no clue whatsoever about what they are saying are opining about the charges brought and the guilt or innocence of a man accused of killing his child. If you're (general you) going to have an opinion about whether someone is going to get the freaking DEATH penalty, try to get it right. Dang...

reading between the lines of what you posted Karmandy

I would interpret that to mean also ''failing to render medical assistance'' too (re sustenance issue)

FWIW there was a man in Knoxville, TN who owned a famous restaurant chain who, while on vacation left his small child in his car while he ran in to an establishment to speak with old friends and have a few laughs. Apparently he forgot the child was there or forgot how much time had elapsed. He faced charges but was acquitted IIRC. Doesn't mean I believe the current story though with this different man. [modsnip] JMO

reading between the lines of what you posted Karmandy

I would interpret that to mean also ''failing to render medical assistance'' too (re sustenance issue)

Regardless, the point of the OP was to suggest that the reason the charges were downgraded was because the child had food and water. That isn't the reason. Not even close and so wrong it's scary. He's charged with second degree child neglect. Here's the standard for that charge:

When such person with criminal negligence causes a child under the age of 18 cruel or excessive physical or mental pain. O.C.G.A. 16-5-70(c). Criminal negligence necessarily implies, not only knowledge of probable consequences which may result from the use of a given instrumentality, but also wilful or wanton disregard of the probable effects of such instrumentality upon others likely to be affected thereby. Criminal negligence is something more than ordinary negligence. Criminal negligence is the reckless disregard of consequences, or a heedless indifference Cruelty to Children 23 V iolence to the rights and safety of others, and a reasonable foresight that injury would probably result. Bohannon v. State, 230 Ga. App. 829 (1998).

To me it doesn't read like it includes failure to render medical assistance. If there is such a requirement for parents in GA, I think it must be in a separate statute. Personally, I'm not sure there is such statute.

the vic Reynolds political you tube ''using'' this case for political purposes is still up and running -- when I watched again just now the last frames jumped out ((I didn't recall seeing them initially)) requesting the people contact the DA about this case and that auto manufacturers should fix this ''problem'' (OMG)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac3RAOPSRZw&feature=youtu.be

it was just a question Karmandy - I didn't know one way or the other -- thanks for clearing that up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaastrichtDetective