GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarcasm alert--_His friends, " I'm running a little late"

I can't wait to see the phone records...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! Maybe a lawyer! I wonder if he already researched that too. Ya know because he had a premonition that he might need one.

This woman was on a 25 min drive and her child fell asleep 5 min into the ride.

RH forgot about his kid one minute after pulling out of the Chikfilla. That is what I have a hard time believing.

The article also says it was day 3 of a new routine.

I remember as a child being left in the car on NUMEROUS occasions with the window cracked, doors locked, and instructions not to talk to strangers...and being very crabby (and sometimes nauseous). And this was an "overprotective" mother who did this -- there were A LOT of things I was not allowed to do.

I compare it to carseats and other things -- until it became an issue, a lot of people were simply unaware. My mom had a Mustang with a sunroof and I clearly remember riding on the console with my fingers waving out the sunroof while we listened to "Shake Your Booty" -- "child safety seat" was her arm reaching out to slam me back against the seat if she had to stop fast.

I actually worked with a guy who truly (I believe) accidentally left his child in the car and the child died -- but this was totally out of routine for the dad. He never had to take the baby to daycare except this one day was different; nothing seemed different about his drive that day that he could recall and he was on autopilot; babysitter never called to check in -- I remember the controversy in our workplace.

And now? I jump through hoops so I won't have to make my kids sit in the car while I fill it up with gas on a hot day.

To me, THIS case stinks to high heaven.

I'm old. I do remember being left in a hot car with baby sis & bro while mom did errands but no one died.

Car seat.....hooked over the back of the front bench seat when youngest sibling came around prior to that we were loosey goosey in the back seat of 54 oldsmobile - no seat belts.

There were full service gas stations then (remember those?) so parents didn't have that horrid dilemma of running in throwing money down to go self fill their vehicles. oh yeah and I never heard of jacking someone's car with kids in it at a gas station way back then. So when you speak of jumping thru hoops just to fill your car today I really do empathize.....

Well I am not an expert on primates, and it seems possible that these things SOMETIMES happen, but it's not anything like the norm, or their species would not survive. Especially since gorillas, for example, have babies only every 3-6 years, after their previous baby is weaned. That's less often than a lot of people! And makes babies a resource that is precious and solidly invested in. As human babies should be.

In a lot of species, including primates, it is "normal", but males kill *unrelated* young. Since most of these species have a social organization where there is only one male who gets to mate with all the females, they are all his offspring, so they don't get killed. That is how the species survives. When he gets overthrown due to injury or death or what have you, the new male typically kills the offspring so they can immediately get pregnant again and invest in his offspring (being so invested in their offspring hurts them in this way). It's all off topic at this point, but I just find it interesting. However, female primates are generally very good mothers, and they do invest so much in one child. They watch their infants very carefully. Their babies cling to them from birth, though, so they can go about their business with the baby there 24/7. The fact that human babies lack that ability, which it seems all other primates have, is interesting.

As far as I'm concerned protected a child doesn't even need to have anything to do with love. It has to do with the duty to protect a human life, that cannot protect itself. I don't even have to know or love a child to do that. As a human being, it's the HUMAN thing to do, to desire that a child not bake to death in a vehicle. I could walk by that car and shatter the window to get him out, and it wouldn't be out of love.
Right, I'm not arguing that a parent who sees a child dying in the car, or anybody, should not rescue that child! I'm saying that decent people can forget that they didn't drop off a child at daycare, or not realize how hot a car is. I'm not excusing people who realize someone is baking to death and do nothing, relative or not, baby or not!

As for the charges, if the argument is he put him in there on purpose (child cruelty charge), then wouldn't that just be a lesser included offense of murder? You wouldn't need murder in commission of a felony - that's first degree murder. Felony murder is generally used where you are committing a felony not related to hurting the victim, and the victim dies as a part of that crime. I'm wondering if the charges indicate something else. If he was accidentally killed during some sort of abuse, and then placed in the car as a cover up, the cruelty could be in response to the abuse. Felony murder is often used where a third party did the actual killing as part of a felony the charged person participated in. However, as the victim is a young child, I can't think of what that felony would be. If he died as the result of abuse, that would just be murder - you wouldn't need the felony. You can't intentionally assault someone to the point of death and claim you didn't intend to kill them, even if you didn't actually intend for them to die. It still usually will count as murder.

Still that pesky afternoon visit to his car...

Up thread someone wanted proof of intent. If he went to the car at noon as we have been told, imo there is the intent to be sure the baby was dead. Jmo

ciao

I really don't want to get into little Cooper's funeral service yesterday....I still have not strapped that one on quite yet....as I have shared here before, I lost a child who was hit by a car a block from my home. This was in 1975 and had I not had a younger child to care for I would not be here today...the grief nearly destroyed me. I could not then nor now tell you one thing about the funeral....I could not have spoken a word...could not form a thought....so I am not sure about this wife's feelings as her husband has been charged in this death and she believes him.....so maybe since my husband had no part in running over my child I can't understand her event at the funeral. I guess I am going to get into it....the applause. I just don't understand the applause while the father was on the phone. Funerals here are very respectful. I guess since my situation is/was different I can't understand what this family is going through. But her statements of not wishing him back and all the hurt and sorrow he is gonna miss nearly broke my heart...but this is how she deals with it I suppose....we all deal differently....and she has a very very very long road ahead of her....you don't get over it...you just learn to live with it.

Nana, how truly horrible for you. :( I'm so sorry for your loss.

In a lot of species, including primates, it is "normal", but males kill *unrelated* young. Since most of these species have a social organization where there is only one male who gets to mate with all the females, they are all his offspring, so they don't get killed. That is how the species survives. When he gets overthrown due to injury or death or what have you, the new male typically kills the offspring so they can immediately get pregnant again and invest in his offspring (being so invested in their offspring hurts them in this way). It's all off topic at this point, but I just find it interesting. However, female primates are generally very good mothers, and they do invest so much in one child. They watch their infants very carefully. Their babies cling to them from birth, though, so they can go about their business with the baby there 24/7. The fact that human babies lack that ability, which it seems all other primates have, is interesting.

Right, I'm not arguing that a parent who sees a child dying in the car, or anybody, should not rescue that child! I'm saying that decent people can forget that they didn't drop off a child at daycare, or not realize how hot a car is. I'm not excusing people who realize someone is baking to death and do nothing, relative or not, baby or not!

As for the charges, if the argument is he put him in there on purpose (child cruelty charge), then wouldn't that just be a lesser included offense of murder? You wouldn't need murder in commission of a felony - that's first degree murder. Felony murder is generally used where you are committing a felony not related to hurting the victim, and the victim dies as a part of that crime. I'm wondering if the charges indicate something else. If he was accidentally killed during some sort of abuse, and then placed in the car as a cover up, the cruelty could be in response to the abuse. Felony murder is often used where a third party did the actual killing as part of a felony the charged person participated in. However, as the victim is a young child, I can't think of what that felony would be. If he died as the result of abuse, that would just be murder - you wouldn't need the felony. You can't intentionally assault someone to the point of death and claim you didn't intend to kill them, even if you didn't actually intend for them to die. It still usually will count as murder.

Frankly, I'm hoping the toxicology come back positive for something that rendered this baby unconscious.
The thought of him scared and suffering is just too much.

I really don't want to get into little Cooper's funeral service yesterday....I still have not strapped that one on quite yet....as I have shared here before, I lost a child who was hit by a car a block from my home. This was in 1975 and had I not had a younger child to care for I would not be here today...the grief nearly destroyed me. I could not then nor now tell you one thing about the funeral....I could not have spoken a word...could not form a thought....so I am not sure about this wife's feelings as her husband has been charged in this death and she believes him.....so maybe since my husband had no part in running over my child I can't understand her event at the funeral. I guess I am going to get into it....the applause. I just don't understand the applause while the father was on the phone. Funerals here are very respectful. I guess since my situation is/was different I can't understand what this family is going through. But her statements of not wishing him back and all the hurt and sorrow he is gonna miss nearly broke my heart...but this is how she deals with it I suppose....we all deal differently....and she has a very very very long road ahead of her....you don't get over it...you just learn to live with it.
I'm so sorry Nana! :grouphug:I too was hit by a car in 1973 just down the block from my house. I survived obviously- my injuries were a severe muscle spasm in my leg(s), couldn't walk for 3 weeks, was on crutches and scars on my back. Fortunately I was wearing a very thick sweater at the time. I can still remember the car hitting my thigh, then blacking out, waking in mid-air, going out again, and waking on the ground with the boys VP of my Jr. High standing over me. It happened on my way to school by 3 boys speeding down the block to get to high school. I thought "walk fast", but I couldn't think "RUN!". The good that came out of it was that they made a state law that you have to stop at crosswalks for pedestrians. The copy told me I was lucky, but I was in so much pain I didn't feel lucky at the time.

I'm old. I do remember being left in a hot car with baby sis & bro while mom did errands but no one died.

Car seat.....hooked over the back of the front bench seat when youngest sibling came around prior to that we were loosey goosey in the back seat of 54 oldsmobile - no seat belts.

There were full service gas stations then (remember those?) so parents didn't have that horrid dilemma of running in throwing money down to go self fill their vehicles. oh yeah and I never heard of jacking someone's car with kids in it at a gas station way back then. So when you speak of jumping thru hoops just to fill your car today I really do empathize.....

We still have one in our town! LOVE it! Locally owned, so nice to support for that reason too! :loveyou:

You can understand things that (thankfully) most of us here cannot. My mom also lost a child ( my younger brother) and I think it was life long hole in her heart. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Nana :grouphug: I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing such a painful experience

I want to reiterate I am working from the possibilities. Not from what I know or think absolutely. I am still weighing it all.

I think if a parent snapped to the realization that their child was in the back of the car, Innocently, And saw their child blue, They would think they were choking. I don't think the first thought would be my child is dead. Parents are usually in full denial if their child dies. I can see this if he really is innocent, and this was a true accident.

bbm
I can see that you are truly trying to ''weigh'' things out with this statement....

Frankly, I'm hoping the toxicology come back positive for something that rendered this baby unconscious.

It just might. Mom said he had trouble sleeping the 2 nights prior to him dying.
Kinda sounds like she is setting to scene to explain a tox screen.
moo

At 22 months-2 months shy of being 2 years old-this boy died a horrible slow bewildering death.

And the "dream" he told his dad about!!!

I think Harris was manipulating his whole family in true sociopath fashion while planning how to murder his son. He knew telling a story of a dream about Cooper sitting with Jesus would warm his [modsnip] family members' hearts. And when Cooper died, they would just call it a premonition as if Harris had spoken directly to God.

www.cnn.com/2014/06/29/justice/georgia-toddler-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
"...Leanna Harris, the mother of a Georgia toddler who died locked in a hot car, has told authorities that she researched such deaths and how they occur, according to a police affidavit...."

Wonder if she is covering for her husband and if so, why ?
Not trying to sleuth her; but there there you have it via cnn.com .
Sorry just jumping in. :p

Any word from msm if Cooper's daycare called either parent at all ?

I am so sorry for your loss. I watched my own mother grieve the loss of my sister for many many years. I think, had it not been for her having to care for me, she would have just laid down and died, too.

OT
Same here...my mom's heart was broken and she was never the same, though she tried to hide it. But then she and my dad died within weeks of each other. I think she finally gave in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member