Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ewwwinteresting said:
I am curious what evidence or lack of evidence they have to state this crime is non-random. I know we have discussed before that they may be saying this to keep the media away. If the death is mysterious and LE are still looking for suspects, I'm not so sure I'm buying into the non-random statement.

It would be interesting if Raven has given LE any names to look into. He must have some idea who could have killed his wife. I wonder who he thought of first when he found his wife lying dead on the floor?
It's funny you should highlight the words "mysterious" and "still looking for suspects". Those two parts were what made me decide to post the old article in the first place.

What is it that makes this mysterious? Is it that they can't seem to get enough evidence to nail the guy that did it or is it that they can't figure out who did? Still looking for suspects??? Still??? Looking??? lol. I don't get it. What does it mean to look for suspects? Does that mean that we are actively seeking out someone specific? Probably not. It probably means that we are still trying to figure out who could have done this.

Maybe it is a double jeopardy issue. Maybe it is a speedy trial issue. But I have to admit that that article made me very uncomfortable.

Oh look, NC police can name suspects in stabbing deaths without test results being returned! Hmmm....wondering if it would have been better for Janet to have lived in Raleigh instead of Durham? :waitasec:

http://www.wral.com/news/4791450/detail.html

Raleigh Police Seek Suspect In Stabbing Death

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Raleigh police are searching for a man who they say stabbed another man to death over the weekend.
Police found the victim -- 35-year-old Oscar Rene Arita -- in a parking lot at the Brentwood East Apartments after receiving a 911 call at about 5:15 a.m. Sunday.

The body was found "in the parking lot itself, not in a car or anything, just lying in a parking lot itself," Jim Sughrue of the Raleigh Police Department said.

On Sunday afternoon, police charged Juan Carlos Aguilar Alvarado, 25, with Arita's murder. Alvarado stands about 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs between 175 and 195 pounds. He was last seen driving a white Ford Explorer and may have shaved his head.

Police said Arita had been stabbed to death and lived at the Brentwood East Apartments, which is located on Bonneville Court near New Hope Church Road.
Investigators cordoned off the parking lot to collect evidence and used dogs to search the area.

They also set up a checkpoint at the apartment complex to gather information from residents.

"Police ask(ed) me if I had any idea what happened," Jones Lekwuwa said. "I said no." ...

Where have you gone SES? Does anyone know if he's on vacation? I hope he didn't get a time out.

Jenifred said:
Where have you gone SES? Does anyone know if he's on vacation? I hope he didn't get a time out.

He's on vacation. Don't tell me you've missed his long-a$$ posts!
:D

:laugh:
golfmom said:
He's on vacation. Don't tell me you've missed his long-a$$ posts! :D
No worries....don't have to wait long. He'll be back today with alot to say, I'm sure!

ewwwinteresting said:
:laugh:
No worries....don't have to wait long. He'll be back today with alot to say, I'm sure!

:silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced:

ewwwinteresting said:
I just thought of something. This last media coverage, LE actually asked for help. AND still the family is silent! You would think that the family would join LE and plead publicly for any information and even offer a reward for any information leading to the arrest of the murderer. Oh, but that would take away from just giving the money to Raven, instead of finding justice for Janet. Taking the opportunity to take advantage of people's emotions to give money to a fund but not offer any money of their own to find the killer. This whole situation just makes my stomach sick:sick:

Sorry I made a post about media coverage in the evidence thread.
I don't want to type the same thing but I feel that we all need to write the talkshows that are out there and try to get them to pick up the story. Maybe if they get tons of e-mails about Janet being murdered they will pick it up. I keep seeing stuff on Oprah about people being murdered. What about Montel, what other talk shows..Dr. Phil, the View. I know that is the only way to find her killer. We have to put the media in the picture to have the media put some heat on the Durham LE. I'm just frustrated:(

bluegirl said:
I don't want to type the same thing but I feel that we all need to write the talkshows that are out there and try to get them to pick up the story. Maybe if they get tons of e-mails about Janet being murdered they will pick it up. I keep seeing stuff on Oprah about people being murdered. What about Montel, what other talk shows..Dr. Phil, the View. I know that is the only way to find her killer. We have to put the media in the picture to have the media put some heat on the Durham LE. I'm just frustrated:(

I have looked around for national news on this case and there is nothing. So then I started looking for local news. Not much.
It won't hit the national news, unless there is local coverage for them to pick up on.
Reading through the threads, I notice that a lot of posters are local residents. Have you considered a local media blitz, sending letters and emails to the local papers and electronic news- asking for more coverage on this case? Asking that LE be made to discuss their findings as much as they are able? Remind them that a young husband and father is being accused by public opinion, and that LE is not clearing him. But that the case seems to be at a standstill and nothing is being done. That a young wife/mother has been murdered and there seems to be a lack of interest in solving the murder and bringing the murderer to justice. (just an aside, I wouldn't accuse or hint at anyone being guilty). I would however mention that you aren't sure how you can feel comfortable that the public is not endangered, when a murderer is on the loose.
Media will respond only if they recieve a large amount of interest from local people.
Another thing you can do is hold a candlelight vigil for Janet. In order for the news to report on anything, they have to have something to report on. Local events in Janet's name, keeps her in the news. That is how many of the others kept the cases going- by keeping the case in the news through interviews, events, etc. If there is a family connection (I haven't read through all of the threads, so I am not sure.) Maybe the family is camera shy about putting their grief out there in public. Maybe someone should suggest to them that they appoint a family spokesman who would be willing to speak with the press, do the interviews and maybe even appear at events.

mysteriew said:
I have looked around for national news on this case and there is nothing. So then I started looking for local news. Not much.
It won't hit the national news, unless there is local coverage for them to pick up on.
Reading through the threads, I notice that a lot of posters are local residents. Have you considered a local media blitz, sending letters and emails to the local papers and electronic news- asking for more coverage on this case? Asking that LE be made to discuss their findings as much as they are able? Remind them that a young husband and father is being accused by public opinion, and that LE is not clearing him. But that the case seems to be at a standstill and nothing is being done. That a young wife/mother has been murdered and there seems to be a lack of interest in solving the murder and bringing the murderer to justice. (just an aside, I wouldn't accuse or hint at anyone being guilty). I would however mention that you aren't sure how you can feel comfortable that the public is not endangered, when a murderer is on the loose.
Media will respond only if they recieve a large amount of interest from local people.
Another thing you can do is hold a candlelight vigil for Janet. In order for the news to report on anything, they have to have something to report on. Local events in Janet's name, keeps her in the news. That is how many of the others kept the cases going- by keeping the case in the news through interviews, events, etc. If there is a family connection (I haven't read through all of the threads, so I am not sure.) Maybe the family is camera shy about putting their grief out there in public. Maybe someone should suggest to them that they appoint a family spokesman who would be willing to speak with the press, do the interviews and maybe even appear at events.
.........you're right........."in the beginning" , there was quite a lot of "local" news posts...........then a few.....dwindling down to a couple, a few months later........

...as we've heard, janet's family is rather shy, reserved, leaving LE to do their job, ( just very recently approaching LE for up-dates..)
...however, raven's family............THEY appear ,as far as we've surmised, to be rather out-going, vocal.............why aren't THEY hitting up the media ? raven himself has all but erased his online tracks.............( oh, except for the belated "we miss you janet" lame post on his ( obscure) nutmeg site.........

.........weird, lame, suspicious behaviour from raven's side if you ask me......

lauriej said:
.........you're right........."in the beginning" , there was quite a lot of "local" news posts...........then a few.....dwindling down to a couple, a few months later........

...as we've heard, janet's family is rather shy, reserved, leaving LE to do their job, ( just very recently approaching LE for up-dates..)
...however, raven's family............THEY appear ,as far as we've surmised, to be rather out-going, vocal.............why aren't THEY hitting up the media ? raven himself has all but erased his online tracks.............( oh, except for the belated "we miss you janet" lame post on his ( obscure) nutmeg site.........

.........weird, lame, suspicious behaviour from raven's side if you ask me......
Unless he's guilty...then it seems completely normal!

bluegirl said:
I have consistently e-mailed (on a weekly or bi-weekly basis) individual reporters as well as big talk show moguls. These include Greta VanSustren, Nancy Grace, Larry King, John Kaisich, Rita Cosby, Dan Abrams, Bill O'Reilly, Geraldo Rivera and so on. I've sent paperwork to America's Most Wanted (they do not take e-requests). For all I know, all of these people have blocked my email address. So it would help if others out there would jump in as well. My subject line is Janet Abaroa--Please Help. If these people or their assistants see Janet's name from multiple e-mail addresses maybe they will take notice again. The only success I have seen is from the small, News Gazette Paper near SVU. A few reporters have asked for more info, but that has been over a month ago.

Visit the "Please Read--Media Appeal" thread on this forum for the e-mail addresses of these reporters and others. If you go to the big websites: www.foxnews.com; www.msnbc.com; www.cnn.com you can get email addresses for programs and the reporters themselves. I usually send them to both the show and the host. I will keep at it, but some fresh requests from "lurkers" or family members and friends could really help.

This is from LaToyia Figueroa.

Internet bloggers appear to have played a role in pushing Figueroa's case into the spotlight. Starting last Friday, Philadelphia-area writers of Internet weblogs, or blogs, organized an e-mail campaign and coordinated their blogging efforts.

Their message to the TV networks: Give Figueroa's story the same sort of attention networks have given to Natalee Holloway, a white teen from Alabama who disappeared May 31 in Aruba, and Laci Peterson, the white, pregnant Californian who was murdered by her husband in 2002.

When the bloggers' efforts began, Figueroa's story had been reported briefly by Philadelphia radio and TV stations and once by the Philadelphia Daily News.

Richard Blair, 51, who writes as Richard Cranium on the blog "The All Spin Zone," led the effort. He said he was contacted Tuesday by a CNN producer. A day later, stories started to appear on CNN and the other cable news channels.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-07-28-missing-woman_x.htm

mysteriew said:
When the bloggers' efforts began, Figueroa's story had been reported briefly by Philadelphia radio and TV stations and once by the Philadelphia Daily News.
I don't know what they're talking about. This case has (rightfully) dominated the "big story" on each local newscast since the day the Philadelphia media learned she was missing. I'm glad that the media push worked to get Latoyia's story national coverage but our media still focused on the story from day one. If nothing else, why isn't the local media in Durham still knocking on doors and ringing telephones to find out what happened to Janet like Latoyia's local media is reaching out for her?

JerseyGirl said:
I don't know what they're talking about. This case has (rightfully) dominated the "big story" on each local newscast since the day the Philadelphia media learned she was missing. I'm glad that the media push worked to get Latoyia's story national coverage but our media still focused on the story from day one. If nothing else, why isn't the local media in Durham still knocking on doors and ringing telephones to find out what happened to Janet like Latoyia's local media is reaching out for her?

Latoyia's case didn't hit the national media for several days. It took a lot of local attention and then it was raised by the bloggers first. Then the national media followed suit.

The corporate media (TV, Cable, Paper, and even Radio) will follow public demand. In this case the locals aren't covering the story. So there isn't much to flag it to the corporate media. Nothing to get the public to demand info because they don't know about it. Some emails are going to the crime talk shows, but they look at ratings, and unless there is a large public demand for info they aren't going to "waste" their time on a case that even the local media is not showing interest in. The keys are to raise local interest- emailing local stations requesting local attention, contacting local radio talk shows bringing her info up, have some events to bring the case into the public eye. At the same time, try to get the bloggers attention and interest. Set up a webpage for her. Send her info to the bloggers. This case has all of the elements for media interest except one. (Young wife and mother, infidelity, criminal behavior, oddball husband, unsolved, etc.) No cooperation from the family is a big drawback.

mysteriew said:
Latoyia's case didn't hit the national media for several days. It took a lot of local attention and then it was raised by the bloggers first. Then the national media followed suit.

The corporate media (TV, Cable, Paper, and even Radio) will follow public demand. In this case the locals aren't covering the story. So there isn't much to flag it to the corporate media. Nothing to get the public to demand info because they don't know about it. Some emails are going to the crime talk shows, but they look at ratings, and unless there is a large public demand for info they aren't going to "waste" their time on a case that even the local media is not showing interest in.
That's my point ... I feel that Janet's local media "dropped the ball". Why didn't they report this more? Why didn't they dig deeper? Why didn't they demand answers to put the public at ease? It seems like they reported the known facts and then moved on to the next story.

JerseyGirl said:
That's my point ... I feel that Janet's local media "dropped the ball". Why didn't they report this more? Why didn't they dig deeper? Why didn't they demand answers to put the public at ease? It seems like they reported the known facts and then moved on to the next story.

The why is important and could be for a number of reasons that I can think of. But what to do about it is what is most pressing.
A local blitz demanding more info (supplemented by WS'ers) could put pressure on the local media (not only TV, but also print and radio). At the same time an appeal to internet bloggers requesting that they help focus attention on the case would help to get the case before the public, put pressure on the media, and pressure on LE.
If a local person could possibly sponsor some event (a vigil, or even a booth at a neighborhood festival with a petition to sign) that would be a big help in showing the local public is wanting to know more. Emails and letters to the local radio, TV, and papers would also help.

mysteriew said:
If a local person could possibly sponsor some event (a vigil, or even a booth at a neighborhood festival with a petition to sign) that would be a big help in showing the local public is wanting to know more. Emails and letters to the local radio, TV, and papers would also help.
I think that the vigil is a great idea. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of people in that area with very much invested in this investigation as the media never got people involved enough with this story to care. I wonder how we could get enough local people to make it a real tribute to Janet.

JerseyGirl said:
I think that the vigil is a great idea. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of people in that area with very much invested in this investigation as the media never got people involved enough with this story to care. I wonder how we could get enough local people to make it a real tribute to Janet.

A booth set up at a local festival might be more realistic. They could pass out flyers giving details of the murder and request people to sign a petition to request the local LE to give more info into the investigation, and to the local media to give the case more coverage. They could request that the media give them some coverage for that. Then if enough interest is shown, they could follow with a vigil.

IMO, the bottom line is that the family would have to feel comfortable with the timing of media requests. Since I don't know what the family may or may not have been told by LE, I would hate to think that anything I do would have a negative impact on the investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState