General Discussions #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw Mr. AG on Geraldo's show on Fox (is it Fox News?). Glad that he's finally gotten some praise and publicity for the work he's done for true crimes. Now, if we could get him back here..............

I have heard from a source close to the family that the Lead Investigator in Janet's case has been changed. According to this source, Janet's family is very concerned that the new investigator is not as motivated as his/her predecessor. Which is a scary thought!

I will try and get confirmation from the Durham PD. Anyone else hear this?

Do you think that the family will break their silence if they don't think the case is progressing?

But it's a bad thing that the lead detective has been changed? Can someone elaborate other than the fact that this new one doesn't put as much emphasis on Janet's case?

Jenifred said:
Do you think that the family will break their silence if they don't think the case is progressing?

But it's a bad thing that the lead detective has been changed? Can someone elaborate other than the fact that this new one doesn't put as much emphasis on Janet's case?
I don't know, they haven't said a thing this far into it all. I also have no idea if it means anything that the lead detective has changed. Could it be a good thing? Maybe I'm just overly optimistic.

It's frustrating. There was a murder in a nearby town here, a man stabbed to death in his home. They're saying that they think it's not random but releasing much more information and asking the public for help. It's frustrating that the same thing couldn't happen in Janet's case.

newkid said:
I don't know, they haven't said a thing this far into it all. I also have no idea if it means anything that the lead detective has changed. Could it be a good thing? Maybe I'm just overly optimistic.

It's frustrating. There was a murder in a nearby town here, a man stabbed to death in his home. They're saying that they think it's not random but releasing much more information and asking the public for help. It's frustrating that the same thing couldn't happen in Janet's case.
I agree with you nk...changing detectives can't be any worse as far as getting information. :silenced: Maybe it's a good thing and will bring "new blood" to the case, maybe he or she will pick up on something the other one didn't?

I really can't think of any murder case that has been so tightlipped, not only with LE but the media and family also...it is just weird!

newkid said:
There was a murder in a nearby town here, a man stabbed to death in his home. They're saying that they think it's not random but releasing much more information and asking the public for help.
I don't understand that at all. Is it a difference in townships or is there some other explanation for why Janet's case has been handled differently?

When the Public Affairs person for the DPD comes out and says something to the effect, 'if anyone has any information about this case, please call....' , I personally think it's more of a pro forma statement, used anytime there has not been an arrest in a case. JMO.

This may be naive and just trusting on my part, but, that said, IMO DPD doesn't need the public's help in finding Janet's murderer. All along they have said the crime was not random and that the public has nothing to fear. I still maintain this means one thing and one thing only - they have a suspect, they know who murdered Janet, and are diligently putting the pieces together for an arrest. I really do believe it's that simple, but again, that's just my opinion.

Hearing nothing from them actually doesn't bother me. I just have to believe it's for a good reason.

As far as a new detective - how can that be bad really? Perhaps this person has more homicide experience. Perhaps it was simply a matter of shifting around some cases. IF a new detective is not as forthcoming with family, etc., if true, then that could simply be a matter of personality as well. Who knows. But a fresh set of eyes, an objective opinion, etc., these are good things IMO....

Again, personally anyway, I'm just not concerned about a lack of public info from DPD. I think a puzzle is being put together, plain and simple. And a puzzle often takes time...to make sure each piece is in it's proper place. And when it's all done, the puzzle's complete - and an arrest will result. When? Today, tomorrow, next week, next month - other than our frustrations, it's not important. At the end of the day what matters is one thing - that there IS an arrest.

And an arrest is only important if it's a solid case with solid evidence - that ultimately leads to a conviction, plain and simple.

I agree that a new investigator CAN be a good thing...I was just concerned that the family is so upset about it. Apparently, to them it doesn't feel like a positive change.

There are murders every single day, many are unsolved, none of us hear about all the murders, and many times, none of these murders get reported in the news.

I don't think that LE is being tight-lipped for an ulterior motive. Durham Police have many murders that they are trying to solve at this point. If you look at their website, they used to be very public, this all ended in MARCH, prior to Janet's murder. Come April there was only one media/public information update and one in August.

I think that the rearranging done in the political scene/Durham PD has a lot to do with the lack of information.

Also, they had a HUGE media blitz with the Michael Peterson case. I think they learned their lessons regarding the media/public spectacles of murder cases.

SouthEastSleuth said:
When the Public Affairs person for the DPD comes out and says something to the effect, 'if anyone has any information about this case, please call....' , I personally think it's more of a pro forma statement, used anytime there has not been an arrest in a case. JMO.
I would hope so. I mean, geez, can't think of a more "we aren't telling you anything" statement next to "no comment." They don't throw anything out there, like anybody who played soccer with this guy, come forward. Anybody find this type of knife, come forward. Anybody find a laptop, come forward. No info at all!

My ONLY concern about LE being so tightlipped is that it could be a cover up. We botched the case and don't want you to know about it, we don't have any evidence and don't want you to know about it, we don't want you to know that a 25 year old has stumped us.

I am hoping you are right in the idea of that this is a 500 piece puzzle and they have 450 of them and are just waiting for all of the pieces before an arrest is made. However, if they do need the public's help, waiting this long to ask for it is absurd!

terminatrixator said:
Also, they had a HUGE media blitz with the Michael Peterson case. I think they learned their lessons regarding the media/public spectacles of murder cases.
Just out of curiosity, was that a bad thing? Wasn't he arrested and convicted? Wasn't Scott Peterson arrested and convicted? The only ones that I can think of that had a huge media blitz and didn't turn out are celebrities (which we all know raven is not, except to himself)!

Names/thoughts on huge media cases that the publicity hurt (not counting celebrities)?

Right now they are trying to get an appeal in the Michael Peterson trial. Because of the media attention to the case and the public appeal. Also, that will be the situation when they go for an appeal in the SP Trial.

As far as media attention/public knowledge etc. there is the OJ Trial/Michael Jackson/Robert Blake off the bat.

LOL - sorry EWW, I gues I don't see parenthesis very well. There would also be the Karla Homolka in Canada. Didn't get her off though, but her sentence was quite light considering the crimes she has committed, kidnapping, drugging, rape & torture.

terminatrixator said:
LOL - sorry EWW, I gues I don't see parenthesis very well.
When I saw your answer Term, I was rotflmao!

I'm not saying the media is or is not the right thing in this case, just wondering how it would hurt it if raven or the families used it to get the "help find janet's killer" word out.

I do understand lol.

I can't imagine why the media isn't used in the case much either, but the fact that the Janet's family lives outside of NC, and never experienced a murder of one of their children/siblings and did not have last contact with Janet and really has no clue what they are suppose to be doing.

Raven doesn't show any interested in catching the killer, taking a polygraph, done any sort of media campaign to try to find the killer of wife and his child's mother, whether online or through the media and he hasn't set up a reward, though we know he's got a trust fund set up has me completely baffled, which in turn leads me to believe that he knows who the killer is. He hasn't even attempted to clear any speculations through polygraph either.

He has had plenty of time to go out on outtings, run back and forth throughout the country, but though I realize it is not his "JOB" to find the killers, he seems to have gone on with his life completely with no real care whether the murderer is found.

terminatrixator said:
Raven doesn't show any interested in catching the killer, taking a polygraph, done any sort of media campaign to try to find the killer of wife and his child's mother, whether online or through the media and he hasn't set up a reward, though we know he's got a trust fund set up has me completely baffled, which in turn leads me to believe that he knows who the killer is. He hasn't even attempted to clear any speculations through polygraph either.

He has had plenty of time to go out on outtings, run back and forth throughout the country, but though I realize it is not his "JOB" to find the killers, he seems to have gone on with his life completely with no real care whether the murderer is found.

You know, this is one of the things that just says a lot, to me anyway.

IF Raven is not constantly pushing LE - calling, asking questions, etc., as to how the investigation is going, etc., what does that say????

- He really doesn't care how the investigation is going?
- He doesn't care if the perp is ever caught, or not?
- He's not concerned about WHY Janet was murdered?

Sure, what Term says is true, it's certainly not Raven's "job" to find Janet's murderer. I agree 100%.

BUT, one would hope that he at least expresses INTEREST in the case, etc. If not, that says a lot....

Jess said:
Raven isn't even pretending to care,imo
Welcome Jess and thanks for joining in.

It does seem odd that he isn't "pretending" to at least care. He may be fully cooperating with LE and discussing this case on an ongoing basis with LE. Since LE is so tightlipped about everything, we don't know for sure he isn't. I sure hope this is the case. But I would think he would at least set up a reward fund to help catch the murderer. It's hard to believe money means that much to him that he wouldn't part with some of that "free" trust fund money to set up a reward.

Did Raven voluntarily give a DNA sample ? Or did he know if he didn't give it, there would be a court order ? If he was truly cooperating, wouldn't the sample have been given much, much earlier ? like the next day to rule himself out ?
I thought I had read he had given a sample just recently, but with other cases on the boards, I could easily be confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOTTERB