General Gun Violence/Gun Control

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

The NRA is widely recognized as a major political force and as America's foremost defender of Second Amendment rights. NRA-ILA, the lobbying arm of the NRA, is involved in any issue that directly or indirectly affects firearms ownership and use.

NRA Explore

Which Senators Have Benefited The Most From NRA Money?

https://elections.bradyunited.org/take-action/nra-donations-116th-congress-senators

Imo
I know and it disgusts me.

What I meant by it being so political is that Americans are overwhelmingly upset by the mass shootings and the politicians-- who are receiving all that money from the NRA--don't seem to care about public safety or school safety. Americans are getting murdered at grocery stores, schools, mosques, churches, patriotic parades. I also don't understand why some Judges also seem more focused on the right to have guns rather than the right to be safe.

Even worse, some think it is funny. I truly don't understand the callous disregard for human safety. smh

JMO

America's porous border usually means the guns flow the other direction; from the US to Mexico and from the US to Canada. One of the worst mass killings in Canadian history happened in Nova Scotia a couple of years ago with weapons smuggled into to Canada from Maine. Selling weapons is big business.

Most illegal guns purchases in the US are internal. They can be through three methods, the straw method where an individual who can legally buy a weapon purchases one for someone who is not legally able to buy one. The second method is private gun sales and the third, weapons stolen from private individuals and gun dealers.

Weapons coming into the US due to porous borders is a myth.

I'm so sorry I missed this.

I meant if the US bans guns - like certain drugs are banned - guns will come into the country easily like drugs do now.

Lol that seems clear as mud.

I know and it disgusts me.

What I meant by it being so political is that Americans are overwhelmingly upset by the mass shootings and the politicians-- who are receiving all that money from the NRA--don't seem to care about public safety or school safety. Americans are getting murdered at grocery stores, schools, mosques, churches, patriotic parades. I also don't understand why some Judges also seem more focused on the right to have guns rather than the right to be safe.

Even worse, some think it is funny. I truly don't understand the callous disregard for human safety. smh

JMO

So what about when the politicians receiving all these funds aren't the ones in power?

I mean if one side controls the House, Senate, and Presidency; why aren't they doing anything?

So what about when the politicians receiving all these funds aren't the ones in power?

I mean if one side controls the House, Senate, and Presidency; why aren't they doing anything?
One side doesn't control the House, Senate and Presidency. And because gun control is such a hot issue, there was bi-partisan legislation passed last year about gun control which is a good start but more needs to be done.

Wyoming and Alaska hold the #1 and #2 spots in suicide rates in the same year (2020).

And I'm sure the majority of those stats are men. Sometimes committing suicide is an impulsive act. Using a gun makes it a highly successful impulsive act. Much easier to kill yourself with a handgun than a rifle or shotgun, although I have seen the results of the latter.

I believe the old adage 'familiarity breeds contempt' when it comes to guns. If you only ever see a gun as a tool like a hammer or a saw, you've failed to recognize the deadly aspect of them.

Finally!

“I’m asking the General Assembly to bring forward an order of protection law,” Lee told reporters, according to the Tennessean. “A new strong order of protection law will provide the broader population cover, safety, from those who are a danger to themselves or the population.”

Un-frickin'-believable. The gun will be auctioned.

The mayor of Louisville has said Kentucky law would make him a criminal if he destroys the assault-style rifle used by a gunman in Monday’s killing of five bank employees in his city.

He added: “Let us destroy illegal guns and destroy the guns that have been used to kill our friends and kill our neighbors. We have to do more than we’ve already done. Let’s change the state laws that would make me a criminal for trying too hard to stop the real evil criminals who are taking other people’s lives.”

Tonight on CNN they were discussing the shooting at the bank in Louisville. They had a brief interview with a woman from this organization - Mass Shooting Data & Research | The Violence Project - which is dedicated to research on gun violence and mass shootings, including interviews with the family members of mass shooters. This page has a lot of really good infographics from their research - Key Findings - Comprehensive Mass Shooter Data - The Violence Project - I recommend reading all the way to the bottom.

eta: They state that based on their research, an "employment issue" is the number one specified issue behind mass shootings (I assume they don't have that information for all of them).

I understand and respect the rights on defense but I don’t understand these people who get empowerment and an ego boost from guns, to the point of making them a part of their personality. My state (SC) has a horrible CDV problem and seems to treat other gun violations like pointing/presenting too lightly. They offer the same jail time for that as growing pot, which shows the priorities.

It does mention a well-regulated militia, though. It doesn't say that people should be able to have concealed handguns in the grocery store.

IMO.
I agree with you. Unfortunately, the SCOTUS is literally calling the shots.

The U.S. can't ban guns because of our Second Amendment Right to Bear Arms.
Is this true? (And I'm not sure many people are proposing banning all guns. I think they are wanting to ban, or at least control, weapons of mass killing like semi-automatic weapons like AR-15s.) The second amendment refers to a well-armed militia. I believe the country has a well-armed militia and it is called the army (and the marines and the navy and the airforce).
The NRA has done an excellent PR campaign in that regard, when the wording of the second amendment is not clear at all.

ETA: oops. I just saw 10ofRods post above which made a similar point. I think both of us are saying that you can't make your comment as a fact. It is open to interpretation. Some people just don't want a different interpretation than they have and just want to own guns.

Last edited:
Is this true? (And I'm not sure many people are proposing banning all guns. I think they are wanting to ban, or at least control, weapons of mass killing like semi-automatic weapons like AR-15s.) The second amendment refers to a well-armed militia. I believe the country has a well-armed militia and it is called the army (and the marines and the navy and the airforce).
The NRA has done an excellent PR campaign in that regard, when the wording of the second amendment is not clear at all.

ETA: oops. I just saw 10ofRods post above which made a similar point. I think both of us are saying that you can't say make your comment as a fact. It is open to interpretation. Some people just don't want a different interpretation than they have and just want to own guns.
Yes the 2nd Amendment is open to interpretation. SCOTUS does the interpretation as do state courts. Congress doesn't have the votes to ban semi-automatic weapons. Many states have very lax gun laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay