General Gun Violence/Gun Control

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so mentally tiring. Turning on the TV news in our morning and here is yet another one. I cannot imagine the mental exhaustion it must cause in the US. Let alone the anguish, trauma and loss of life it causes to those directly involved.

"The gun used in the shooting was an AR-15-style rifle, a federal law enforcement source told CNN"
"The AR-15, a semi-automatic rifle, is the most popular sporting rifle in the US, and about 24.6 million people have owned an AR-15 or similarly style rifle"
"The AR-15 and its offshoots have been the weapon of choice in many of the most heinous mass shootings in recent memory"

Gunman livestreamed mass shooting at Louisville bank that left 4 dead and 9 wounded

This is so mentally tiring. Turning on the TV news in our morning and here is yet another one. I cannot imagine the mental exhaustion it must cause in the US. Let alone the anguish, trauma and loss of life it causes to those directly involved.

"The gun used in the shooting was an AR-15-style rifle, a federal law enforcement source told CNN"
"The AR-15, a semi-automatic rifle, is the most popular sporting rifle in the US, and about 24.6 million people have owned an AR-15 or similarly style rifle"
"The AR-15 and its offshoots have been the weapon of choice in many of the most heinous mass shootings in recent memory"

Gunman livestreamed mass shooting at Louisville bank that left 4 dead and 9 wounded
BBM. I suggest they stop referring to it as a "sporting rifle" in consideration of the huge number human victims.

Hearing this news on a constant basis is very stressful, especially so for those who have children or grandchildren currently in school.

BBM. I suggest they stop referring to it as a "sporting rifle" in consideration of the huge number human victims.

Hearing this news on a constant basis is very stressful, especially so for those who have children or grandchildren currently in school.

Yes, I agree. It doesn't seem too sporting to me to be gunning down people (and animals) with a semi automatic rifle.

Yes, I agree. It doesn't seem too sporting to me to be gunning down people (and animals) with a semi automatic rifle.
I do not understand why gun control has become so political. One positive step LE and Prosecutors are taking is to hold parents accountable. The 6 yr old shooter's mother has been charged with felony child abuse:

I do not understand why gun control has become so political. One positive step LE and Prosecutors are taking is to hold parents accountable. The 6 yr old shooter's mother has been charged with felony child abuse:

The reason gun control has become political is because there is big money involved due to many of the politicians getting money from the NRA if they toe the line on gun control. Sad but very true. Until that stops, things will not change.

People like to focus on the AR-15 but the reality is more people are killed with handguns. AR stands for ArmaLite and not assault rifle or automatic rifle. An AR-15 is semi-automatic, meaning you have to pull the trigger each time you fire a bullet.

(Reuters Health) - In public mass shootings in the U.S., victims shot with a handgun were more likely to die than in the events associated with a rifle, according to a new study in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons.
(…)
The research team found that events with a handgun were associated with a higher percentage of people killed, whereas events involving a rifle were associated with more people shot. About 26 percent of those shot with a handgun had more than one fatal wound, versus two percent of people shot with a rifle. Handguns were also more likely to be associated with brain and heart injuries.

“All of us were shocked. We came to the table with our bias that an assault weapon would be worse,” Sarani said. “This should inform the medical community about what to expect at trauma centers and lawmakers about reasonable gun laws.”

Families can be helpful. But, dysfunctional families exist, and could manipulate someone to believe their parent/brother/whoever, is dangerous and shouldn't have a gun. What would the criteria be? That is the issue. Depression? It is unlikely to be consistently applied.

And could the person get their guns back? How would they be able to prove that? The slippery slope is, if "we" decide you are incompetent to own a gun, does that mean you are an incompetent parent? Should you have your kids taken away too? Are you incompetent to drive a car? Go to work? Live alone? Have a dog?

It won't be up to families, if it's done properly. Red herring.

I think the issue has to start with gun sales and transfers, not with removing guns from already gun-owning people (unless they do meet certain legal criteria which, IMO, should not bar all gun ownership forever (but should require gun buyers not to be homicidal/suicidal, a subject that psychologists, counselors and psychiatrists are more likely to hear about than others).

IMO.

People like to focus on the AR-15 but the reality is more people are killed with handguns. AR stands for ArmaLite and not assault rifle or automatic rifle. An AR-15 is semi-automatic, meaning you have to pull the trigger each time you fire a bullet.

(Reuters Health) - In public mass shootings in the U.S., victims shot with a handgun were more likely to die than in the events associated with a rifle, according to a new study in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons.
(…)
The research team found that events with a handgun were associated with a higher percentage of people killed, whereas events involving a rifle were associated with more people shot. About 26 percent of those shot with a handgun had more than one fatal wound, versus two percent of people shot with a rifle. Handguns were also more likely to be associated with brain and heart injuries.

“All of us were shocked. We came to the table with our bias that an assault weapon would be worse,” Sarani said. “This should inform the medical community about what to expect at trauma centers and lawmakers about reasonable gun laws.”

There are semi-automatic handguns.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges but here it goes

In 2021 there were over 48,000 gun deaths in the US.

In the same time period there were 106,000 overdose deaths in the US. Drug abuse, sales, procession ect. is illegal. Yet.....

I just don't know how much banning guns would help. It's a societal issue to me. So much hate and division. I have no idea what can make it better.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges but here it goes

In 2021 there were over 48,000 gun deaths in the US.

In the same time period there were 106,000 overdose deaths in the US. Drug abuse, sales, procession ect. is illegal. Yet.....

I just don't know how much banning guns would help. It's a societal issue to me. So much hate and division. I have no idea what can make it better.

As someone from one of those countries that had a mass shooting and then banned guns and hasn't had another once since, banning guns helps. It really does. Every country has societal issues. Not every country has mass shootings on a near daily basis.

As someone from one of those countries that had a mass shooting and then banned guns and hasn't had another once since, banning guns helps. It really does. Every country has societal issues. Not every country has mass shootings on a near daily basis.
I hear ya.

But did your country already have around 393 million guns in circulation. Also, does your country have a pretty porous border so drugs, guns other contraband flow in pretty easily?

I think states that are implementing Red Flag laws are seeing less violence as a result. The problem here is that our federal politicians refuse to enact such laws on a federal level so the same restrictions apply across state lines. Right now, the city of Chicago bans guns but head down 20 or so miles to the Indiana border--which has very lax gun laws--is all someone needs to do.

JMO

I think states that are implementing Red Flag laws are seeing less violence as a result. The problem here is that our federal politicians refuse to enact such laws on a federal level so the same restrictions apply across state lines. Right now, the city of Chicago bans guns but head down 20 or so miles to the Indiana border--which has very lax gun laws--is all someone needs to do.

JMO
The city of Chicago has banned guns yet has the highest incidences of gun violence in the US. I seriously, seriously doubt easy access by driving 20 miles away is the cause of this violence.

Interestingly enough the state of Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska have the highest percentage of households owning guns. The top ten states are:
  1. Montana - 66.3%
  2. Wyoming - 66.2%
  3. Alaska - 64.5%
  4. Idaho - 60.1%
  5. West Virginia - 58.5%
  6. Arkansas - 57.2%
  7. Mississippi - 55.8%
  8. Alabama - 55.5%
  9. South Dakota - 55.3%
  10. North Dakota - 55.1%
But Chicago because guns aren't banned in Indiana has the most gun violence.

No, something is wrong in Chicago other than easy access to firearms.

I hear ya.

But did your country already have around 393 million guns in circulation. Also, does your country have a pretty porous border so drugs, guns other contraband flow in pretty easily?

America's porous border usually means the guns flow the other direction; from the US to Mexico and from the US to Canada. One of the worst mass killings in Canadian history happened in Nova Scotia a couple of years ago with weapons smuggled into to Canada from Maine. Selling weapons is big business.

Most illegal guns purchases in the US are internal. They can be through three methods, the straw method where an individual who can legally buy a weapon purchases one for someone who is not legally able to buy one. The second method is private gun sales and the third, weapons stolen from private individuals and gun dealers.

Weapons coming into the US due to porous borders is a myth.

The city of Chicago has banned guns yet has the highest incidences of gun violence in the US. I seriously, seriously doubt easy access by driving 20 miles away is the cause of this violence.

Interestingly enough the state of Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska have the highest percentage of households owning guns. The top ten states are:
  1. Montana - 66.3%
  2. Wyoming - 66.2%
  3. Alaska - 64.5%
  4. Idaho - 60.1%
  5. West Virginia - 58.5%
  6. Arkansas - 57.2%
  7. Mississippi - 55.8%
  8. Alabama - 55.5%
  9. South Dakota - 55.3%
  10. North Dakota - 55.1%

It's also interesting that Wyoming and Alaska have spots #2 and #3 in death rates by gun in this study.

BBM

The NRA is widely recognized as a major political force and as America's foremost defender of Second Amendment rights. NRA-ILA, the lobbying arm of the NRA, is involved in any issue that directly or indirectly affects firearms ownership and use.

NRA Explore

Which Senators Have Benefited The Most From NRA Money?

https://elections.bradyunited.org/take-action/nra-donations-116th-congress-senators

Imo

1. Montana - 66.3%
  2. Wyoming - 66.2%
  3. Alaska - 64.5%
  4. Idaho - 60.1%
  5. West Virginia - 58.5%
  6. Arkansas - 57.2%
  7. Mississippi - 55.8%
  8. Alabama - 55.5%
  9. South Dakota - 55.3%
  10. North Dakota - 55.1%

Poverty and gang wars are what is causing Chicago's violence and the easy access to guns in Indiana exacerbates the violent crimes. I think police, not politicians, should be the driving force behind gun laws. The Uvalde shooter had no problem buying his assault rifles when he turned 18, thanks to Texas' incredibly lax gun laws.

In 2013, a federal indictment charged two men with illegally selling 43 firearms to a government informant in just under 26 hours, a volume made possible by gun shows and less restrictive state laws in Indiana. Private gun sales in Indiana don’t require background checks, a waiting period or even a record of the transaction.

Earlier this year, Indiana passed a law loosening Indiana’s requirements for carrying a handgun in public despite the opposition of several major law enforcement organizations.

It's also interesting that Wyoming and Alaska have spots #2 and #3 in death rates by gun in this study.

That is an interesting link.

So, of the 45,222 gun deaths in 2020, 24,292 were suicides. I compare that to the 106,000 people that killed themselves (whether accidently or not) by the illegal use of drugs.

I actually am for some forms of gun control. Like licenses you can get after completing classes/testing in firearm safety ect.

If you have been convicted of a violent offense you can not get a gun license .

If a family member is concerned about your mental health they can apply to have your license revoked in a court trial. This isn't the best, but I don't know any other way if protecting a person's medical records.

You cannot purchase or have a gun in your possession without a license. Strict fines/prison sentences to enforce.

1. Montana - 66.3%
  2. Wyoming - 66.2%
  3. Alaska - 64.5%
  4. Idaho - 60.1%
  5. West Virginia - 58.5%
  6. Arkansas - 57.2%
  7. Mississippi - 55.8%
  8. Alabama - 55.5%
  9. South Dakota - 55.3%
  10. North Dakota - 55.1%

The gun violence rate in Chicago is higher than average but nowhere near the worst city in this regard. It has the highest number of gun violence deaths in large part due to its massive population. Only New York and Los Angeles are larger.

New York and Los Angeles had higher totals than Chicago three decades ago. But since then both of those cities have done a better job of controlling gun violence.

One factor is that both New York and Los Angeles have worked hard to improve relations between the police and residents of high crime areas. The result is that people are more likely to cooperate with the police. Chicago should follow their example.

Wyoming and Alaska hold the #1 and #2 spots in suicide rates in the same year (2020).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbod153