George Anthony will testify against Casey next week before the grand jury

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Even thought CA will not be permitted in the courtroom when GA testifies at the GJ, Casey's lawyer will be, correct? What's to keep JB from telling Casey, and Casey from telling CA, what GA said? Just curious.

Wow, that must be making for some unconfortable family fun nights.

I wonder if/when this goes to trial, will Casey take the fifth? I can see her doing this under advisement of JB.

Even thought CA will not be permitted in the courtroom when GA testifies at the GJ, Casey's lawyer will be, correct? What's to keep JB from telling Casey, and Casey from telling CA, what GA said? Just curious.

No these are double super secret proceedings!!!

By statute, a lawyer cannot represent multiple witnesses who are subpoenaed to go before a GJ.
My belief is that the legislative intent of that law is more to do with keeping the whole process cloaked in secrecy as opposed to worries about atty conflicts of interest.
:blowkiss:

Also, there is no absolute right to counsel regarding the GJ. The reason for that is that technically, no one has been charged with a crime at that stage of the proceedings. Witnesses can be "advised" or "assisted" by a lawyer. That's about it. No one gets to spy on the proceedings inside the GJ room and it is by law a crime for those inside to tell what's going on...at this juncture.
:)

Thanks so much, I'm not sure where the confusion started. I've probably just seen too many made for tv movies, where the writers didn't know their stuff.
:doh:

My husband hates to watch any medical shows if I'm in the room, can't help picking them apart. :blush:

You are welcome:blowkiss:

Possibly the writers know their stuff, but it just wouldn't make good tv. There is a reason that jurors have been known to fall asleep during trials, after all.:)

Nope, Casey's lawyer is not allowed into the GJ proceedings.

Where the grand jury system is used, a panel of ordinary citizens is selected to secretly investigate criminal activity generally and issue an indictment called a "grand jury original" that initiates the criminal justice process. No judge, defendant or criminal defense attorney is present in state grand jury hearings. The number of jurors on the panel depends on the state in which the grand jury is being used, and a foreman is elected to take the lead in the investigation and prepare the indictment. After a grand jury indictment, law enforcement goes about to apprehend and arrest the defendant named in the indictment, which starts the criminal justice process.

http://www.lawinfo.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Client.lawarea/categoryid/143

Nope, Casey's lawyer is not allowed into the GJ proceedings.

Where the grand jury system is used, a panel of ordinary citizens is selected to secretly investigate criminal activity generally and issue an indictment called a "grand jury original" that initiates the criminal justice process. No judge, defendant or criminal defense attorney is present in state grand jury hearings. The number of jurors on the panel depends on the state in which the grand jury is being used, and a foreman is elected to take the lead in the investigation and prepare the indictment. After a grand jury indictment, law enforcement goes about to apprehend and arrest the defendant named in the indictment, which starts the criminal justice process.

http://www.lawinfo.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Client.lawarea/categoryid/143

Thank you Patty.:blowkiss: To add to Patty's post,

Here is the actual Florida statute as to who can be present with the Grand Jury:

905.17 Who may be present during session of grand jury.--

(1) No person shall be present at the sessions of the grand jury except the witness under examination, one attorney representing the witness for the sole purpose of advising and consulting with the witness, the state attorney and her or his assistant state attorneys, designated assistants as provided for in s. 27.18, the court reporter or stenographer, and the interpreter.The stenographic records, notes, and transcriptions made by the court reporter or stenographer shall be filed with the clerk who shall keep them in a sealed container not subject to public inspection. The notes, records, and transcriptions are confidential and exempt from the provisions of s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution and shall be released by the clerk only on request by a grand jury for use by the grand jury or on order of the court pursuant to s. 905.27.

I didnt read this whole thread (cant sit real long right now w my back).
I was wondering will this be broadcast? Or any media reporting what goes on in the grand jury?

I gather his attorney Mark Nejame will likely be present during GA's portion of GJ testimony? GA's made such obviously false statements to media (re having ever gotten close enough to trunk to detect "no smell" back on 6/24) that conflict with his own statements to LE. I'm just glad they'll have him under oath.

I hope that George has Caylee in his heart when he testifies, and not white wash the truth.

I hope that George has Caylee in his heart when he testifies, and not white wash the truth.
Yeah good thought Elley Mae:)

Well he needs to pick a story and stick with it. :rolleyes: Down the road, he will find himself on the stand and if his testimony doesn't match the Grand Jury minutes.....he will have some problems...

Wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

I didnt read this whole thread (cant sit real long right now w my back).
I was wondering will this be broadcast? Or any media reporting what goes on in the grand jury?

It's a "secret" grand jury hearing... no media allowed.

George's position reminds me of a movie I saw once where a father was rock-climbing with his son & daughter. He was in the lead, but lost his footing... and they were all tied together. I'll never forget the scene of him dangling below his children, begging his son to "cut him loose" so that they wouldn't all die.

George... cut Casey loose! She is not worth destroying your entire family and future for... and she will most definitely take you all down with her.

I am keeping George in my thoughts and prayers. Sending some strength..

strength-2.jpg

NashvilleGirl: George's position reminds me of a movie I saw once where a father was rock-climbing with his son & daughter. He was in the lead, but lost his footing... and they were all tied together. I'll never forget the scene of him dangling below his children, begging his son to "cut him loose" so that they wouldn't all die.

George... cut Casey loose! She is not worth destroying your entire family and future for... and she will most definitely take you all down with her.

Wow what a poignant visual. Isn't that the truth... I will be praying (along with you OneLostGirl) that God gives George the courage to be truthful.

Eyewitness News has learned George Anthony will testify against his daughter next week before the grand jury about, among other things what he's already told investigators, how in late June Casey prevented him from going near her trunk, which he later found exuded the smell of death.

"Her and I got into a little verbal, she don't want me to go in the trunk," Anthony told investigators during questioning.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17680298/detail.html

Someone needs to point out that the media is not reporting this correctly. George has been ordered to testify by the court. He is not testifying against Casey like they are making it sound. He will give them no more than he has to.

George's position reminds me of a movie I saw once where a father was rock-climbing with his son & daughter. He was in the lead, but lost his footing... and they were all tied together. I'll never forget the scene of him dangling below his children, begging his son to "cut him loose" so that they wouldn't all die.

What a fitting analogy. . .she is taking them all down with her. I too hope he "cuts the rope" and restores some sort of dignity to this family by telling the real truth.

I also hope George keeps Caylee in his thoughts when he goes before the GJ.
He knows in his heart the right thing to do & I honestly think he will do it.
Let's all pray God gives him the strength and shows him the way.

Someone needs to point out that the media is not reporting this correctly. George has been ordered to testify by the court. He is not testifying against Casey like they are making it sound. He will give them no more than he has to.

I wonder why George was called to testify, but not Cindy? Seems odd to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkipTracer-tg
Back