Georgia deputies fatally shoot CNN security guard as he tried to help distressed son

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMO the title of this thread is misleading. The "distressed son" happened to be an armed kidnapping suspect.

IMO the title of this thread is misleading. The "distressed son" happened to be an armed kidnapping suspect.

Well, blame the editors at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette -- the thread title was copied verbatim from their headline.

But if you read the story, it does seem that the title is not inaccurate.

Did the cops know the father's identity? Did they know he wasn't one of the three reported kidnappers?

A Douglas County Sheriff's Department spokesperson said deputies had responded to a call from the Arbor Place mobile home park after a security guard called 911 saying he'd been kidnapped and held at gunpoint by three men.

According to the GBI, deputies talked to the security guard, who told them he had been held at gunpoint while he was making his rounds. The deputies were then approached by another man, Garrett Daniels, who told them that an armed man was on a nearby street.

http://douglasville.11alive.com/news/news/1864092-gbi-takes-over-fatal-officer-involved-shooting

Bobby-Daniels.jpg

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Bobby-Daniels.jpg

During and immediately following a hostage situation, should LE be firing their weapons if they don't know who the players are? Assuming doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Without video will the witness accounts mean anything?

Family of Man Killed by Deputy Holds News Conference

The family’s attorney, Chris Stewart, said the father of five was only trying to defuse the situation between deputies and his son. Stewart added they have multiple witnesses who confirm Daniels did not point a gun at deputies, never had control of the gun, and was doing everything he could to stop his son from getting the weapon and using it on anyone.
According to witnesses, at no point did Bobby Daniels ever point a weapon at any officer, contrary to what law enforcement has stated.”
According to the release, Daniels was restraining his son and trying to protect members of law enforcement who were responding to a situation involving Daniels' son when he was shot at a distance by a deputy with an AR-15.

According to police:

As the fight continued between Bias and Bobby, the handgun was pointed at the deputies, at which point one of the deputy fired, striking and killing Bobby. The gun fell to the ground at which point Bias picked it up and ran away.

I just don't see a father, security guard, veteran pointing a weapon at police officers. Not unless he were under the influence of something or suicidal. And especially not with his son right there, knowing he would be putting both their lives at risk.

But whatever happened I believe he saved his son's life. Not a happy ending, but at least Bias is alive.

It might not end well if the hostage taker were to shoot you but as the hostage I don't think you would expect to be shot by LE.

IMO

The first police shooting that got my attention happened 20 years ago - a young mentally ill man broke into someone's home and when the cops got there he held their 12yo son hostage at knifepoint. Police officers shot and killed both of them. So yes, hostages can expect to be shot too. JMO

Without video will the witness accounts mean anything?

Family of Man Killed by Deputy Holds News Conference

According to police:

I just don't see a father, security guard, veteran pointing a weapon at police officers. Not unless he were under the influence of something or suicidal. And especially not with his son right there, knowing he would be putting both their lives at risk.

But whatever happened I believe he saved his son's life. Not a happy ending, but at least Bias is alive.

I've read several different accounts of what happened and I hope we will eventually know the truth, whatever it may be. I don't think the father intentionally pointed the gun at LE but if there was a struggle, might it have looked like the gun was pointed their way? IDK I just want to know the truth, but no matter what the truth is, it's incredibly sad.

I've read several different accounts of what happened and I hope we will eventually know the truth, whatever it may be. I don't think the father intentionally pointed the gun at LE but if there was a struggle, might it have looked like the gun was pointed their way? IDK I just want to know the truth, but no matter what the truth is, it's incredibly sad.

Agreed. I'm glad that they have brought in quasi-independent investigators from the GBI. (Personally, I wish that these shootings were always investigated by people an arm's length (at least) away.) And this does seem to be one in which will be more difficult to tell the truth. Still, I can't help but wonder if too many LEOs are a bit too hasty to shoot before gathering information. This may not be the case here, but it happens often enough to lead one to wonder.

Maybe there was a struggle and that's what happened, or maybe the officers saw a weapon and overreacted. I don't think we'll ever know the truth, but I agree with you - no matter what it is it's incredibly sad. What a terrible Christmas Cynthia Daniels must have had.

From the first 911 call:
A Douglas County Sheriff's Department spokesperson said deputies had responded to a call from the Arbor Place mobile home park after a security guard called 911 saying he'd been kidnapped and held at gunpoint by three men.

I haven't read anything about who the third man is though.

When a second man got out of the car, he allegedly grabbed the gun from the hood of the car and pointed it at the deputy, Miller said. The deputy then fired two shots at the second man, who was killed.

^IMO this doesn't sound like the description of a struggle.

Some accounts read like they were struggling for the gun and that's why the officer shot, others make it sound like he intentionally pointed it at the officers, and some say Bias put the weapon down as he was told but when his dad picked it up a struggle began.

Who knows. :(

From the first 911 call:

Some accounts read like they were struggling for the gun and that's why the officer shot, others make it sound like he intentionally pointed it at the officers, and some say Bias put the weapon down as he was told but when his dad picked it up a struggle began.

So who kidnapped who. Did son kidnap dad at first while trying to argue with him and this is why the son fled?

Was the word kidnapped used in the 911 call simply to get cops there faster?

Why would dad pick up the gun. Did he think the son would try to use it on police at the last second?

What's going here.

So who kidnapped who. Did son kidnap dad at first while trying to argue with him and this is why the son fled?

Was the word kidnapped used in the 911 call simply to get cops there faster?

Why would dad pick up the gun. Did he think the son would try to use it on police at the last second?

What's going here.

The son held someone at gunpoint and that's who got away and called 911. The hostage is a security guard and I think that's why there's confusion about whether or not he was holding his dad - who is also a security guard - hostage.

I don't think anyone said kidnapping before the fact but I could be wrong.

From the first 911 call:

And we have that father talked son into putting down the gun on top of a vehicle,police moved in to taze son,son reached for the gun,father went to swat the gun away and father was shot.
Without video it's hard to find the truth of what really happened.
IMO

The first police shooting that got my attention happened 20 years ago - a young mentally ill man broke into someone's home and when the cops got there he held their 12yo son hostage at knifepoint. Police officers shot and killed both of them. So yes, hostages can expect to be shot too. JMO

So beware cops with guns even if you're hostage. Noted....although hoping it's rare.

The son held someone at gunpoint and that's who got away and called 911. The hostage is a security guard and I think that's why there's confusion about whether or not he was holding his dad - who is also a security guard - hostage.

I don't think anyone said kidnapping before the fact but I could be wrong.

Okay. Great. So the original hostage got away but dad stayed with son to calm him down? Aye yh yh. Im so confusey my friend. Lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HisMedusa
Back