Germany/Portugal - Christian Brueckner, 27 @ time of 1st crime (2004), charged with sexual assault crimes, Praia de Rocha, Portugal. #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a small detail but:-
The perp on Salema beach had a backpack.
The perp at the Praia da Gale100,000 burglary was seen with a backpack.
HaB'a assailant had a backpack.
Maybe the backpack was distinctive.
It might be, but there doesn't seem to be any importance attached to it in any reports, realising they are sketchy at best,unlike the mark that may or may not be a tight mark.

HaB said in court that it also could be a mark in the tights her attacker wore, so the mark was never confirmed to be on the attackers thigh, pity it's not known if this was ever cleared up with CB having no mark or had a procedure to remove a mark.

I wonder did the court question the 27yr old (10yr old beach attack victim of 2007) if she recalled seeing any marks of her attacker's thighs? He was apparently only wearing shoes at the time. It's a long shot, the idea that she'd remember something like that, but equally it could be something, if present, that she remembered.

If neither DM nor Hab were forced to wear the goggles, I fail to see the relevance of them appearing in a video that didn't show either of those victims
That shows dissimilar mo's to the one alleged to have been seen by HeB.

I wonder did the court question the 27yr old (10yr old beach attack victim of 2007) if she recalled seeing any marks of her attacker's thighs? He was apparently only wearing shoes at the time. It's a long shot, the idea that she'd remember something like that, but equally it could be something, if present, that she remembered.
Didn't she say more than one mark?. ETA brit press.

The woman said: “I remember a few large birthmarks distributed over the body, on the back and on the legs. Just spread over, not one place but many across his back . . . it was just the birthmarks which I noticed, and this grinning.”

It might be, but there doesn't seem to be any importance attached to it in any reports, realising they are sketchy at best,unlike the mark that may or may not be a tight mark.
I estimate there must be thousands of people walking around the Algarve with backpacks at any one time.
I really don't think that anyone intent upon any criminal activity is going to be sporting a distinctive bag.

I estimate there must be thousands of people walking around the Algarve with backpacks at any one time.
I really don't think that anyone intent upon any criminal activity is going to be sporting a distinctive bag.
With the lack of DNA in the HaB case it is suggestive of planning and knowledge, a distinctive backpack doesn't equate to this imo.

Didn't she say more than one mark?. ETA brit press.

The woman said: “I remember a few large birthmarks distributed over the body, on the back and on the legs. Just spread over, not one place but many across his back . . . it was just the birthmarks which I noticed, and this grinning.”

Thanks for that, I missed the reporting of her testimony.

As an aside, what would have been the approximate duration of a recording tape 20 years ago ?

Just to add, apparently it was a Sony video camera with 'not large VHS videos but small ones'. So VHS-C (compact) I'd presume? Which, depending on type, have a 60min to 120mins recording time.

Anyway, not that it matters though, since no videos exists and no conclusions can be drawn from what doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Just to add, apparently it was a Sony video camera with 'not large VHS videos but small ones'. So VHS-C (compact) I'd presume? Which, depending on type, have a 60min to 120mins recording time.

Anyway, not that it matters though, since no videos exists and no conclusions can be drawn from what doesn't exist.
I quite agree. I was just curious and surprised that they could record that long.

IMO the court will look for an array of distinctive factors that can be seen to amount to a distinctive MO.

For example the tying up on the victims, striking with an object/torture and extended nature of the attacks. Neither is distinctive by itself but if viewed as a total matrix of factors, could be relevant

Better is something truly unique like the painted googles but we don't have that here
MOO.

JMO here but, based on the descriptions of the attacks in the video case, the DM case and the HaB case, I'm seeing ritual here, something that's solidly about the attacker, not the victims of the attacks. That the basis, nature and planning of the attacks is all about a ritualistic compulsion on the part of the attacker, what he gets off on, what he gets power from.

If looked at from that angle, it makes the victims nothing more than a tool in the attacker's twisted mind.

I don't think the painted goggles are significant for that reason. For me, they just represent a variation on a theme.

Last edited:
^ Was that in DM's testimony, that her attacker was a Portuguese speaker/Portuguese? I didn't know that.
She said her attacker spoke to her in Portuguese but the language was poor. It’s worth noting that she made no mention of a German accent.

Of course it makes sense. A pervert sadistic rapist doesn't need to be turned on/off by everything. And I really do not want to get into details of this. It makes me sick. The rape kit included a backpack with metal rod/pole, quite a lot of rope, material/cloth as a gag, wore a full face mask, knife with 30cm long blade, video camera, whip. I would definitely call this a rape kit.
If you say so.

I thought HaB was bound by electric cable found in her apt? I could be wrong.

Of course it makes sense. A pervert sadistic rapist doesn't need to be turned on/off by everything. And I really do not want to get into details of this. It makes me sick. The rape kit included a backpack with metal rod/pole, quite a lot of rope, material/cloth as a gag, wore a full face mask, knife with 30cm long blade, video camera, whip. I would definitely call this a rape kit.
If you say so.

I thought HaB was bound by electric cable found in her apt? I could be wrong.

JMO here but, based on the descriptions of the attacks in the video case, the DM case and the HaB case, I'm seeing ritual here, something that's solidly about the attacker, not the victims of the attacks. That the basis, nature and planning of the attacks is all about a ritualistic compulsion on the part of the attacker, what he gets off on, what he gets power from.

If looked at from that angle, it makes the victims nothing more than a tool in the attacker's twisted mind.

I don't think the painted goggles are significant for that reason. For me, they just represent a variation on a theme.

True.

What I am saying is based on the court reporting, there doesn't seem to be anything specific to link this case to the previous ones - so you have to rely on a grab bag of traits to build a distinctive MO.

True.

What I am saying is based on the court reporting, there doesn't seem to be anything specific to link this case to the previous ones - so you have to rely on a grab bag of traits to build a distinctive MO.
I agree. Based on what we know about CB, I think BARD he was responsible for DM and very likely committed an offence against an older British woman.

Who knows what happened with the young German woman but I think it’s possible she may have thought she was his girlfriend and may have consented to whatever was recorderded.

As much as I think HaB deserves closure, the evidence doesn’t meet the BARD standard. I doubt a conviction will be the outcome.

Where would another rape conviction leave the MM case? Nowhere IMO. I’d be surprised if CB is involved.

I agree. Based on what we know about CB, I think BARD he was responsible for DM and very likely committed an offence against an older British woman.

Who knows what happened with the young German woman but I think it’s possible she may have thought she was his girlfriend and may have consented to whatever was recorderded.

As much as I think HaB deserves closure, the evidence doesn’t meet the BARD standard. I doubt a conviction will be the outcome.

Where would another rape conviction leave the MM case? Nowhere IMO. I’d be surprised if CB is involved.
The German woman was a teen, and MT has said in the trial that CB told him about keeping a teenager at his home for 4 days without her consent.

The German woman was a teen, and MT has said in the trial that CB told him about keeping a teenager at his home for 4 days without her consent.
Is CB a reliable source? He denies anything to do with MM yet some are convinced he is.

I agree on from what we've heard, including the 10 yr old at the time,she seems to have been led to CB rather than her own recollection.All opinion.

Interesting month next month, 3 consecutive days next week, 2 at the end of the month, then apart from one day in July nada until August and then patchy dates..

Wonder if HeB is to return on any of these dates.

Curtesy of Niner.

Next Trial dates: June 4, 5, 6, 25, 26, July 5, August 5, 15, 16, Sept. 5, 26, 27, Oct. 2, 7, 8, 21 & Oct. 22, 2024. (Expected to last up to 8 months, it was 3 months).

I agree on from what we've heard, including the 10 yr old at the time,she seems to have been led to CB rather than her own recollection.All opinion.

Interesting month next month, 3 consecutive days next week, 2 at the end of the month, then apart from one day in July nada until August and then patchy dates..

Wonder if HeB is to return on any of these dates.

Curtesy of Niner.

Next Trial dates: June 4, 5, 6, 25, 26, July 5, August 5, 15, 16, Sept. 5, 26, 27, Oct. 2, 7, 8, 21 & Oct. 22, 2024. (Expected to last up to 8 months, it was 3 months).

I believe HeB is supposed to be back in June - but no specific date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member