Gerry's Blog - CURRENT - ALL THREADS MERGED

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you all may feel very much that you would act like the McCanns, but remember, everyone grieves in different ways.

So no one can really say if they would be like the McCanns--if we cannot judge the McCanns by their behavior as being out of sync with our own selves and our experiences of grieving, then logically, we cannot say that we would also act as they do or say what they say.

Can't have it both ways.

Well, you all may feel very much that you would act like the McCanns, but remember, everyone grieves in different ways.

So no one can really say if they would be like the McCanns--if we cannot judge the McCanns by their behavior as being out of sync with our own selves and our experiences of grieving, then logically, we cannot say that we would also act as they do or say what they say.

Can't have it both ways.

Texana

I haven't said I would act like the McCanns.

What I am saying is I am not going to condemn the McCanns for living with hope that Maddie is safe and well, that's all.
I did also try to show people that sometimes missing kids turn up years later alive and well.

Everyone is different.

Some people are optimists, some people are pessimists.

I'm almost sure if my girl went missing I would try my very hardest not to dwell on all the terrible things that could be happening to her.
For my own sanity I would never give up hope.

Sure I can be an optimist like, maybe the sun will shine tomorrow or maybe I will win the lotto but I cannot compare that to 6 months having passed & not a sign of my missing 4 year old, sorry I just cannot see it!

Sure I can be an optimist like, maybe the sun will shine tomorrow or maybe I will win the lotto but I cannot compare that to 6 months having passed & not a sign of my missing 4 year old, sorry I just cannot see it!

Lets hope something like this never happens to you then Barnaby.

I would never give up on finding my child, no matter what the statistics were telling me.

Lets hope something like this never happens to you then Barnaby.

I would never give up on finding my child, no matter what the statistics were telling me.
I sincerely hope nothing like this ever happens to me desert but then it couldn't could it as I would never go drinking & leave 3 babies alone in an apartment either locked or unlocked!

I am not suggesting that the McCanns give up hope (that is if they don't know otherwise), what I am saying is that it would be very hard to be optimistic under the circumstances!

Texana

What I am saying is I am not going to condemn the McCanns for living with hope that Maddie is safe and well, that's all.
I did also try to show people that sometimes missing kids turn up years later alive and well.
I don't think anyone is "condemning" the McCanns for being optimistic more like marvelling at Gerrys ability to make a glib & flippant comment about his daughter being treated like a Princess when the probability of that is extremely slim! When you already have comments like Madeleine giving her captors "her tuppence worth" the whole thing becomes somewhat farcical!

Texana

Actually, you did say you would act like the McCanns when you said, "I'm almost sure if my girl went missing I would try my very hardest not to dwell on all the terrible things that could be happening to her. For my own sanity I would never give up hope."

However:

It has been repeatedly said here (not necessarily by you, of course) when the McCanns' behavior has been criticized as not showing real grief, that all people do not grieve in the same way. I am sure I do not need to reiterate this to you, as you read these threads as intently as myself or anyone else here, I am sure.

Therefore, if we are going to take the line in the McCanns' defense that not all people grieve the same way, then we must also take the line that we cannot assume they would act as we ourselves might.

It is a logical contradiction to hold to both positions, so if you are going to say that you understand and indeed, would probably echo the McCanns' position in thinking their child is being treated well or like a "princess," then you must at the same time, affirm that their actions and words do not match the expectations or experience of the majority of grieving parents.

That's what I meant by can't have it both ways. Can't say you would do the same as the McCanns without also saying that you accept that others most definitely would not, and find their behavior troubling.

I am tired.

Quote Texana-so if you are going to say that you understand and indeed, would probably echo the McCanns' position in thinking their child is being treated well or like a "princess," then you must at the same time, affirm that their actions and words do not match the expectations or experience of the majority of grieving parents.

I am not saying I feel exactly like the Mc's do, I was merely trying to piont out that I can see where theyre coming from, to live with hope, and yes I know their behaviour concerning their daughters welfare is not as others would expect.

Desert, you should be tired, you have done more dancing around the point than either of my daughters did today for Nutcracker ballet rehearsal.

Seriously, if you can justify their behavior by saying you see where they are coming from, then you must also understand my position--that I cannot for the life of me see where they are coming from.

I can grant you your position, if you can grant me mine.

For me, if I was a grieving parent, I would just be more insistent and instead of these "staged opportunities," I would be on television once a week begging for pity from these kidnappers. That's what I would do if I still had hope.

I think that's what Kate tried to do, perhaps, the other day, when she said that Maddie was a happy little person who "deserves" a long and happy life - again, like Gerry it's about what Maddie deserves, and what she was like before this happened.

The kidnapper is not thinking in those terms, clearly, and must be a psycho who only thinks of himself first. He or she may want a way out, but I don't think that's the message the McCanns are sending with these speeches they make or in the Blog.

So what they should be saying in my opinion is "Don't kill her, just leave her somewhere safe and walk away, and let this be over for all of us. You can't hide forever, so please."

That sort of direct appeal has actually worked before and children have been released due to that sort of plea from parents.

I should have addressed this before. I actually have seen Kate make these appeals over the months and nearly break while imploring the kidnapper to "please don't scare her, please don't hurt her. She needs to be with her family. Please let her go.........." It was sincere, earnest and emotional. There was more leading into her plea and a bit more about how to release her. I have not seen these on the web but on television so no, I have no link but I'm sure some of you have seen them too.

Yes, Tuba, I have seen some of them, but Kate's agony does not necessarily mean that she is agonizing over her actual words--but I do think she is showing genuine emotion.

I too have seen her appeals, but if I go back to the interview where she was asked if she wanted to say anything to Madeleine sorry cannot be specific with a link at present, too late, too tired. She hesitated & said "She knows that we love her" Not good enough! IMO! sorry!

Yes, Tuba, I have seen some of them, but Kate's agony does not necessarily mean that she is agonizing over her actual words--but I do think she is showing genuine emotion.
I have seen a lot more of what is bordering on emotion from the McCanns since they were made arguidos than I ever saw before! So I question the root cause of their "emotions"

Quote Barnaby- Not good enough!

Nothing the Mccanns will ever or can ever do or say will be good enough.
It will always be wrong in some way.

No, not necessarily.

But as I said, if you are going to defend them on the basis that you understand where they are coming from, then logically, you must also allow that you understand where I/we are coming from.

Quote Texana- Desert, you should be tired, you have done more dancing around the point than either of my daughters did today for Nutcracker ballet rehearsal.

And my point was still missed, not to worry.

No, not necessarily.

But as I said, if you are going to defend them on the basis that you understand where they are coming from, then logically, you must also allow that you understand where I/we are coming from.

I said I understood them wanting to hope, that was all.
I know how I would do things or how I feel has no bearing on this case.

As it stands the McCanns are innocent.
And where I come from we operate under the law of "innocent until proven guilty".

Dead right Desert because they can never be proven innocent of the crime that they did commit & that was leaving Madeleine to her fate while they went to fill their bellies with food, drink & had a great night out with their friends! Despite warnings that there had been burglaries in the complex, they left the apartment unlocked!! Now you excuse that if you can!

I said I understood them wanting to hope, that was all.
I know how I would do things or how I feel has no bearing on this case.

As it stands the McCanns are innocent.
And where I come from we operate under the law of "innocent until proven guilty".

By their own admission they are guilty, guilty, guilty of gross negligence & a total disregard for the safety of their precious children. One perished, three might have & remember that even though Kate was convinced that Madeleine had been abducted she still left her remaining two children alone in that apartment when she went back to the tapas bar to report the "abduction". The perpetrators could have been hiding, waiting to come back for the other two, how did she know they would not?
Are you seriously trying to tell me that these people are innocent of any crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member