Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shepherd, 47, who worked with Heuermann for five years, spent three hours assessing his Massapequa Park, New York home for a renovation project in 2005 – just one of several close interactions she had had with him that have kept her awake at night since his arrest last week.

Speaking DailyMail.com, she described how she had developed a friendly, working relationship with the 59-year-old architect who is seen mingling with the interior designers and colleagues in exclusive photos published for the first time.

She revealed Heuermann even once took her to a firing range in the Bronx where he taught her how to fire a 9mm handgun.

On another occasion when she slipped on ice, Heuermann accompanied her to a hospital and then back to her apartment in Manhattan where he gave her meds.

Shepherd worked with Heuermann, off and on, from 2002 to 2007 and shared office space with him for two of those years in Manhattan, where he ran an architectural firm.

She would regularly travel with him to job sites as a freelance interior designer. At the time she found him smart and mostly friendly, if socially awkward.

She now likens him to a real-life Dexter, the Showtime character who led a double life as a serial killer.

'He's just like Dexter,' she told DailyMail.com. 'You'd never know if you met him. Dexter was also super normal and then he had that other side.'
This article also states there was a locked room in the basement he wouldnt let her in. This was in 2005! He claimed it was full of guns. The room was reportedly 12 X 5

Why aren’t they stating the obvious? Genealogy led them to Heuermann. The other evidence was collected in support.

In the Idaho case the FBI reportedly told local law enforcement to avoid talking about genealogy. They advised them to treat it as just as they would any investigative lead. But this is bordering on the ridiculous. Just say it!

First it was the pizza. But that obviously doesn’t work without a connection to him.

Then it was the cell phone that was the big break.

Then it was the car he owned and it being parked outside.

IMO it was the genealogy. That enabled the cell phone and car. And ultimately the pizza to match.

MOO

Why aren’t they stating the obvious? Genealogy led them to Heuermann. The other evidence was collected in support.

In the Idaho case the FBI reportedly told local law enforcement to avoid talking about genealogy. They advised them to treat it as just as they would any investigative lead. But this is bordering on the ridiculous. Just say it!

First it was the pizza. But that obviously doesn’t work without a connection to him.

Then it was the cell phone that was the big break.

Then it was the car he owned and it being parked outside.

IMO it was the genealogy. That enabled the cell phone and car. And ultimately the pizza to match.

MOO
Using genealogy to find a suspect is considered a lead, not evidence.

A good expert to look up is CeCe Moore.

jmo

Heuermann was allegedly using burner phones to contact the sex workers. He also allegedly harassed a female biker in a park recently, also while under surveillance, officials said.

jmo
I completely agree. I’ve been making the same argument in the Moscow case.

BUT

When you go out of your way to obscure the fact that genealogy gave you your big break…you are inadvertently playing into the controversy. Because it looks like you’re hiding it. As if it’s something wrong (it is not). The defense in the Moscow case is currently going the “what are prosecutors trying to hide re:genealogy” route and they are ready to put it on the national stage. And they are already seeing some success because most people don’t understand how it works.

There’s been very little public education. Because there is no discourse. So it’s coming off as something sinister. This LI case isn’t helping.

Maybe in 20 years it will be “just another lead” but right now it’s a pretty controversial one working its way through court challenges (that the convicted are rightfully losing left and right).

If LE wants to normalize it. They should openly talk about it.

I get that it took a year of good ol fashion police work to build the case. But stop burying the lede.

Last edited:
Because LE had been following him for the past year, watching as he "patronized prostitutes", they must have seen this encounter & learned of her report to police because he was creepy & made her uncomfortable. During the presser the DA said they arrested him when they did out of concern for "public safety". The fact she wasn't a prostitute they had to think his kills might include others & they couldn't take a chance after seeing his approaching this woman. If it was clear to her he needed to be reported, LE KNEW he needed to be arrested now. IMHO

Extremely demented! "A 32-page bail application alleges Heuermann searched for child and torture *advertiser censored*"

jmo
I think the car registration gave them a name and address. From that information, they started looking at phone records (which I feel are prob enough to convict him from reading the bail application). They realized they had his cell phone in close proximity to burner phones, and got the info for the burner phones. They they could track information from HIS phones to close proximity to the phones of the victims. The DNA was just that. NOT genealogy. Several hairs had been found on the victims. Most of them were female. They were too degraded for DNA to be available until the passage of time actually developed technology so that the mtDNA, or maternal, the toughest, longest lasting type) could be read. The female hairs seem to have belonged to his wife. She's very lucky that information concerning her trips out of town was still available as LE confirmed she and the children were out of town when the three disappeared. As I recall from the Bail Application, only one male hair was found on the bodies. That's where the pizza crust comes in -- DNA, but the maternal only, so not genealogy.

The commissioner in this interview describes the inside of the house as cluttered, like the home of a pack rat. I know people are resisting any negative comments about the house, but the house is speaking for itself, imo.

(This is not a put-down to anyone who lives in an older home. I live in a building that is almost 100 years old. And it's not a put-down to anyone who doesn't enjoy home maintenance or isn't interested in housekeeping. You're fine! This commentary is about a serial killer.)

jmo

Thinking that separate from being a ''pack-rat'', maybe RH may want to keep the house rundown to keep the house tax evaluation low? speculation.

I completely agree. I’ve been making the same argument in the Moscow case.

BUT

When you go out of your way to obscure the fact that genealogy gave you your big break…you are inadvertently playing into the controversy. Because it looks like you’re hiding it. As if it’s something wrong. Maybe in 20 years it will be “just another lead” but right now it’s a pretty controversial one working its way through court challenges (that the convicted are rightfully losing left and right).

If LE wants to normalize it. They should openly talk about it.

I get that it took a year of good ol fashion police work to build the case. But stop burying the lede.
But why does it need to be disclosed to the public what tips and leads are followed. Don't LE often keep that type of info close to the chest, to not let criminals know how LE gathers tips so criminals aren't armed with that info? Not snarky, just genuinely curious why the genealogy research as a tip needs to be the lede?

I find it super fascinating but can't really see why LE needs to treat it any differently than a tip they might receive in another way. Clue me in!

jmo

Second storage unit found, at a location different from the first, and will be searched today. This statement is a bit confusing though:

"It’s still unclear who the storage units belong to."

Perhaps this is a family storage unit?

With respect to the first unit, they have provided an update: "Suffolk police executed a search warrant Sunday at a storage unit in Amityville. A police vehicle, police tape and floodlights could still be seen at the scene Monday morning. A tent was also set in the area." Sounds to me like they must have found something MOO

It might be that the killer purchased the camo burlap solely for the purpose of making the corpse less visible, and therefore less likely to be discovered; perhaps having nothing to do with duck hunting at all.
absolutely possible but it was just interesting to me that the camo burlap that he used is typically used for building duck blinds. For years the general public assumed the burlap was instead the potato sack or gardening type. The poster back in 2012 was going a different route of thinking - one that turned out to be correct. Also: Heuermann had permits for 92 guns and listed rifle shooting a hobby. Just interesting to me, thats all.

Good! I've been wondering about that reserve. It seems even more convenient to his house than the beach. Anyone know what the reserve is like? Many visitors or few?

jmo
It is heavily trafficked. There are parks, sports field, a small highway and houses that all back into the preserve. People walk and bike there all day. Lots of fishing and kids feeding ducks. It isn't super wide but its long. There have been bodies found there before, they have been attributed to MS-13. They were found immediately.

I think the car registration gave them a name and address. From that information, they started looking at phone records (which I feel are prob enough to convict him from reading the bail application). They realized they had his cell phone in close proximity to burner phones, and got the info for the burner phones. They they could track information from HIS phones to close proximity to the phones of the victims. The DNA was just that. NOT genealogy. Several hairs had been found on the victims. Most of them were female. They were too degraded for DNA to be available until the passage of time actually developed technology so that the mtDNA, or maternal, the toughest, longest lasting type) could be read. The female hairs seem to have belonged to his wife. She's very lucky that information concerning her trips out of town was still available as LE confirmed she and the children were out of town when the three disappeared. As I recall from the Bail Application, only one male hair was found on the bodies. That's where the pizza crust comes in -- DNA, but the maternal only, so not genealogy.
I think they used genealogy on the wife's hair.

jmo

It is heavily trafficked. There are parks, sports field, a small highway and houses that all back into the preserve. People walk and bike there all day. Lots of fishing and kids feeding ducks. It isn't super wide but its long. There have been bodies found there before, they have been attributed to MS-13. They were found immediately.
Super info. Thanks!

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members