Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Police sources confirm that Rex Heuermann, 59, was long considered the primary suspect in the case.

Police have arrested a Manhattan architect as a suspect in the decades-old Gilgo Beach serial Killer case.

Long Island police sources confirmed to The Messenger that Rex Heuermann was taken into custody on Friday.

The sources, who had worked on the Gilgo Beach murders investigation, confirm to The Messenger that Heuermann, 59, was long considered a primary suspect in the case.

Police sources confirm that Rex Heuermann, 59, was long considered the primary suspect in the case.

Police have arrested a Manhattan architect as a suspect in the decades-old Gilgo Beach serial Killer case.

Long Island police sources confirmed to The Messenger that Rex Heuermann was taken into custody on Friday.

The sources, who had worked on the Gilgo Beach murders investigation, confirm to The Messenger that Heuermann, 59, was long considered a primary suspect in the case.

Wonder if he knew he was "long considered a primary suspect in the case"

Heuermann, who is married and has two kids, has lived in the house since the 1980s.

Law enforcement sources tell DailyMail.com he has been on their radar since last year. Investigators matched him to the crimes by tracking the phone calls made from burner phones to the victims' cell phones over 10 years ago.

The source added that 'good, old fashioned police work' cracked the case, rather than any DNA developments.

The location of the phone calls matched Heuermann's home address and his office address. It remains unclear what specific piece of evidence led to his arrest last night. He is due to go before a judge in Long Island at noon.
New York City architect Rex Heuermann, 59, has been arrested in connection with Long Island's Gilgo Beach murders, in a bombshell breakthrough in one of the country's most notorious unsolved serial killer cases's Gilgo Beach murders, in a bombshell breakthrough in one of the country's most notorious unsolved serial killer cases

*Oooh gross! just thinking about him near those poor girls.
How did it take them over a decade to trace the phone calls? It's not like these crimes happened in the 70s or 80s -- this was 2010-2011. Hopefully they provide some more insight at the press conference today because as of now I'm confused why they didn't trace the calls earlier.

Like most of you I never thought I'd see this case solved. It seemed hopeless. This is terrific news. I can't help but wonder if we will learn that genetic genealogy played a role. (Speculation)

What were the initials that were on the belt they foun
When I looked up the property records, it seems in 1994 the house was transferred from his parents, TH and DH. His paternal grandfather, according to census records, is WH…that belt looks old to me so my guess would be it’s his grandfather’s belt. I don't post here too often so I’m not sure what links are allowed but I got this from the Nassau county tax records the property cards archive link.

I’m local and have longtime ties to one of the attorneys but I’m not in contact with him anymore so this case has always been on my radar.

Did they take it out? I see no mention of DNA in the article. Just that they found a belt that "may have been handled".

One thing I noticed on another site's writeup was that they mentioned that LE had been trying to use DNA to find the killer, and the article managed to word it just vaguely enough that it sounded like it was used in this case, but from what I can tell we have no actual info about that yet.

In other words, weasel wording.

(Someone else mentioned that there was a problem using DNA testing in cases in NY, but I think it was just regarding forensic genealogy. I can't immediately find a definitive source, but it seems like it's been an ongoing legal battle.)

In a video posted by Bonjour Realty last year, Rex Heuermann detailed his work history with his eponymous architecture firm, where he served clients including American Airlines and Catholic Charities.

“I’ve been working in Manhattan since 1987,” Heuermann, 59, told the interviewer.
In 2020, investigators at a news conference revealed a photograph of what they said was a significant piece of evidence collected early in the investigation: a black leather belt, embossed with a pair of letters about half an inch tall. Investigators said it spells out the initials “W H” or “H M.”

Ms. Gilbert’s remains were found in December 2011, but investigators have said they do not believe her death is linked to the serial killer. Ms. Gilbert’s family has disagreed and demanded the release of more evidence.

When I looked up the property records, it seems in 1994 the house was transferred from his parents, TH and DH. His paternal grandfather, according to census records, is WH…that belt looks old to me so my guess would be it’s his grandfather’s belt. I don't post here too often so I’m not sure what links are allowed but I got this from the Nassau county tax records (the property cards archive link).

I’m local and have longtime ties to one of the attorneys but I’m not in contact with him anymore so this case has always been on my radar.

Heuermann, who is married and has two kids, has lived in the house since the 1980s.

Law enforcement sources tell DailyMail.com he has been on their radar since last year. Investigators matched him to the crimes by tracking the phone calls made from burner phones to the victims' cell phones over 10 years ago.

The source added that 'good, old fashioned police work' cracked the case, rather than any DNA developments.

The location of the phone calls matched Heuermann's home address and his office address. It remains unclear what specific piece of evidence led to his arrest last night. He is due to go before a judge in Long Island at noon.
New York City architect Rex Heuermann, 59, has been arrested in connection with Long Island's Gilgo Beach murders, in a bombshell breakthrough in one of the country's most notorious unsolved serial killer cases's Gilgo Beach murders, in a bombshell breakthrough in one of the country's most notorious unsolved serial killer cases

*Oooh gross! just thinking about him near those poor girls.
There he his. LISK himself, looking smug, pleased and evil.

<modsnip - quoted post was from a random Twitter source>

The DailyMail article says:

"Heuermann was taken into custody outside his Manhattan office last night after he had left for the day."

and

"Today, Heurmann's home in Massapequa Park is flooded with cops."

Last edited by a moderator:
When I looked up the property records, it seems in 1994 the house was transferred from his parents, TH and DH. His paternal grandfather, according to census records, is WH…that belt looks old to me so my guess would be it’s his grandfather’s belt. I don't post here too often so I’m not sure what links are allowed but I got this from the Nassau county tax records (the property cards archive link).

Great research! The WH has been a mystery and you may have provided a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader