Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
How did it take them over a decade to trace the phone calls? It's not like these crimes happened in the 70s or 80s -- this was 2010-2011. Hopefully they provide some more insight at the press conference today because as of now I'm confused why they didn't trace the calls earlier.
They were made on burner phones and tracking technology wasn’t nearly as advanced as it is today. Sounds like LE just patiently worked backwards. So it’s effective but time consuming.

@dotr

your speculations are spot on:

A&E The Killing Season Episodes 1 and 2​

Maybe perp keeps his own " green house" masks or explains odour by saying he is using compost/manure for growing.

He could be an architect who works in an office in the city, and in the summer months oversees his landscaping and other design projects " out in the field." speculation.

Wow, I’m shocked! Dotr!! Thank you for pointing that out. Just adding the direct link to dotr’s post: A&E The Killing Season Episodes 1 and 2

The unidentified man is being eyed in the four deaths of women, wrapped in burlap and discovered within days of each other from late 2010, the group referred to as the "Gilgo Four."

The investigation continues into the deaths of another six victims, later found along Ocean Parkway.

@dotr
your speculations are spot on:

A&E The Killing Season Episodes 1 and 2​

Maybe perp keeps his own " green house" masks or explains odour by saying he is using compost/manure for growing.

He could be an architect who works in an office in the city, and in the summer months oversees his landscaping and other design projects " out in the field." speculation.
I wonder [speculation only here] if he worked with JB's nursery and if this is how JB came to be linked to this. Also wondering if he planned to link/frame JB. Awful if true as he is no longer with us. MOO

Married! Wow.
Did that surprise you too? I've always thought he was a loner and was very secretive in order to control everything. Usually meticulous but he did make a couple of mistakes. His house being so close to Gilgo Beach made sense although i thought he could live in Manhattan. Let's hope they have enough evidence to convict.

Looked at a historical pic of his home from Google Maps 2007 and it appears he had a jeep type vehicle, a pickup truck and there's an SUV parked there as well.
View attachment 434653

What type of vehicle is that in the driveway on the left. I've been looking at google map pics... I wonder if it traverses beach sand quite easily?

Unfortunately, no "source" named.

He had been on the special Gilgo Beach Homicide Investigation Task Force for at least a year — and was arrested after being linked by DNA, one source said.
Heard same. Can't remember if it was the News 12 broadcast (not print), and can't help but wonder if genetic genealogy is involved here. MOO

Did that surprise you too? I've always thought he was a loner and was very secretive in order to control everything. Usually meticulous but he did make a couple of mistakes. His house being so close to Gilgo Beach made sense although i thought he could live in Manhattan. Let's hope they have enough evidence to convict.
It does surprise me, even more so when looking at the size of the house. I wonder if he had a workroom off limits to the rest of the family. idk.

jmo

The Daily Mail and NY Post articles are both getting updated pretty fast. It seems like there's conflicting info about how he was caught. For example, DailyMail now says this, from a 'source':

Law enforcement sources tell DailyMail.com he has been on their radar since last year. Investigators matched him to the crimes by tracking the phone calls made from burner phones to the victims' cell phones over 10 years ago.

The source added that 'good, old fashioned police work' cracked the case, rather than any DNA developments.

Since all the articles seem to agree that this arrest is only (so far) in relation to the "Gilgo Four", I wanted to put their names out there. I'm not as familiar with this case as many are, so I know it's helpful for me.

Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25
Melissa Barthelemy, 24
Megan Waterman, 22,
Amber Costello, 27

I'm quoting Wikipedia here, which says their bodies were all found in December 2010.

I'm getting a Gacy vibe from this guy..they better dig that yard up. mOO
*That’s exactly what I thought when I saw his slimy photo.

Sources said Heuermann is from the Massapequa area in neighboring Nassau County. There was a large police presence in the Massapequa Park area for much of Friday morning.

The Suffolk County police and Suffolk County district attorney's office are leading investigation. A spokesperson for the district attorney's office said "there has been a significant development in the case but we can’t comment until after a court proceeding later this morning in Riverhead."

An autopsy proved inconclusive as far as Shannan Gilbert's cause of death. A private pathologist hired by the Gilbert family also found insufficient evidence to determine how she died. But the pathologist, the noted Michael Baden, who has been hired to do independent autopsies by George Floyd's family and others, did say Gilbert's remains showed signs that could be consistent with manual strangulation as a potential cause.

Details on the report were previously reported by News 4. Read it here.

Despite police not considering Gilbert as part of the same investigation, families of the other victims hoped the 911 calls could shed some light on their outstanding mysteries.

Since taking office in 2021, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison had previously said he wanted to restore public faith in the long-unsolved investigation, which has been skewered over lacking transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader