Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Only if
A) every crime he committed left a DNA trace
B) that DNA is in a modern format (nuclear), not something like mtDNA or even something older like blood typing
C) if not, there is enough of a sample remaining for modern testing
and D) that information has been entered into CODIS for comparison.

There are plenty of cases that aren't going to have all of those things. And just because they don't, doesn't mean he didn't do them. They'd just have to build a case against him using things other than DNA.

MOO
And tragically is why wish he would give up deets. But not gonna happen. Yes, with what we have tackled and le, fbi feel he is the man for all charged with so far

Since RH's attorney was speaking of those phones, I've had a thought: Is my memory correct that after the taunting calls to Melissa's sister, photos of ?was it Times Square ? were obtained at the time the calls were made hoping to spot someone on the phone. Unfortunately, IIRC, the location was packed with people on the phone and there was no way to tell who the killer might be. NOW, though, with RH's size and shape being so distinctive, wouldn't it be fantastic evidence if the Taskforce has gone back to those photos to see if RH appears in them?

It has been a while since I've checked in on this case.

It is my understanding that the "Gilgo Four" is now officially known as the "Gilgo Six." Is this correct?
He's been charged with six, but if we're going to be picky (I am!) neither Jessica or Sandra were found on Gilgo.

Jessica's torso was found in Manorville, and her extremities were found on Cedar Beach, which is east of Gilgo, and where Toddler Doe and Valerie Mack's extremities were found also.

Sandra was found in Southampton.

There was another person found on Gilgo - Asian Doe, who is grouped very closely with the other four Gilgo victims.

MOO

I agree that when apparently four different house mates' hairs make it to alleged Rex victims, the more likely explanation is only one suspect is bringing the hairs to the scenes or the victims are collecting them from the house.

I also agree that it is the pattern that helps convict, so severing is not a good idea. OTOH, Rex might have too many victims to allow it to go on for a decade with adding charges and discovery.

I want to know more about Maureen, the belt, Spota, and the brief time the investigation appeared to be moving forward again, under the leadership of Commissioner Hart. Hart presented the belt to the public and a new tip website in around 2020, and Spota left earlier than that (replaced by Sini) around 2017 (?) I'm not sure of the exact dates, but Spota and Hart never overlapped. At that point, Hart had to know that the former DA, Spota, found the belt extremely relevant and felt it identified a suspect that was not charged. In the meantime, there was a new DA who is not being claimed by Brown to have advocated charging Spota's suspect. And Hart presented the belt as being embossed with either WH or HM. She did not say WH.

In addition, it appeared to be accidental that the website left the photo of the belt labeled with being from Maureen's crime scene. Sleuthers assumed from that error that the belt was connected to her, but this was never confirmed until 2024.

So Spota had a suspect, his initials are WH and he's connected to the belt, but Spota was not able to get the suspect arrested, Sini did not have the suspect arrested but was DA when Commissioner Hart emphasized the belt deliberately but said it was 50/50 that the belt was embossed with WH. Tierney obviously does not agree that the other WH is the suspect.

Brown says WH is Rex's grandmother's uncle, and apparently is alive or was alive recently enough to appear on pole cam while Rex was under surveillance. It seems, WH has visited Rex's home, then. I imagine pole cams primarily record people entering and leaving Rex's property.

I find this line of inquiry intriguing, as Spota certainly played a part in suppressing this investigation. I imagine that charging WH would have helped suppress the investigation, given Spota's other suppressive activities. So, I do not suspect at all that WH is a viable suspect. But I do think figuring out why he was fingered has potential for helping us learn the motivations behind the interference into the Gilgo investigation. It is still not known why the investigation was stifled. Why would WH have been a good distraction?

I also wonder if Brown is ever going to imply that Bittrolff killed Sandra (as Spota suspected)? I was waiting for that, not for a new WH.

MOO

It has been a while since I've checked in on this case.

It is my understanding that the "Gilgo Four" is now officially known as the "Gilgo Six." Is this correct?
I never heard that.

The GB4 are still the GB4 because there are more similarities among them than say, with Costilla, who was assumed to be a victim of Bittrolff's for which he was never charged up until Tierney dropped the charge on Rex, seemingly out of nowhere.

As for Taylor and Mack, they were each assumed to be killed by the same person for years. That person was not necessarily the Gilgo Beach killer. There is archive material that probably represents a lot of Trish's digital storage bill of heated debate about if the dismembering killer, often the "Manorville Butcher" was the same person as the Gilgo Beach killer, who was assumed to have killed the GB4.

Maureen has some differences, though. The time is different, the belt is different, the charge came at a different time, there was a troll-campaign to not bother charging on Maureen ("He's going away for life anyway, what's the difference?") the clarity of the location of Rex's family is different. I think the wrapping material might have been different, but I am not sure if I recall speculation or facts on the wrapping. It is different in that it is the case that got the most attention from Commissioner Hart, although she may not have had intended to connect the belt to Maureen.

MOO

I never heard that.

The GB4 are still the GB4 because there are more similarities among them than say, with Costilla, who was assumed to be a victim of Bittrolff's for which he was never charged up until Tierney dropped the charge on Rex, seemingly out of nowhere.

As for Taylor and Mack, they were each assumed to be killed by the same person for years. That person was not necessarily the Gilgo Beach killer. There is archive material that probably represents a lot of Trish's digital storage bill of heated debate about if the dismembering killer, often the "Manorville Butcher" was the same person as the Gilgo Beach killer, who was assumed to have killed the GB4.

Maureen has some differences, though. The time is different, the belt is different, the charge came at a different time, there was a troll-campaign to not bother charging on Maureen ("He's going away for life anyway, what's the difference?") the clarity of the location of Rex's family is different. I think the wrapping material might have been different, but I am not sure if I recall speculation or facts on the wrapping. It is different in that it is the case that got the most attention from Commissioner Hart, although she may not have had intended to connect the belt to Maureen.

MOO
It is my recollection that MBB was restrained with the belt and different material than the other three and that she was "wrapped" in plastic, not bagged in the burlap, which turned out to be camo mimicking the reeds and flora of Gilgo. Also, according to my memory, the other three featured the same materials, including the tape that trapped Heuermann family hairs. I've wondered if the bags were purchased as bags or were taken from a large bolt of camo fabric then fashioned into bags.

It is my recollection that MBB was restrained with the belt and different material than the other three and that she was "wrapped" in plastic, not bagged in the burlap, which turned out to be camo mimicking the reeds and flora of Gilgo. Also, according to my memory, the other three featured the same materials, including the tape that trapped Heuermann family hairs. I've wondered if the bags were purchased as bags or were taken from a large bolt of camo fabric then fashioned into bags.
From googling the subject, camo burlap seems to be sold that way, in bags, for hunting blinds.

Given it is sold that way, conveniently human sized, I don't see RH buying a bolt and fashioning his own with a sewing machine.

MOO

From googling the subject, camo burlap seems to be sold that way, in bags, for hunting blinds.

Given it is sold that way, conveniently human sized, I don't see RH buying a bolt and fashioning his own with a sewing machine.

MOO
Yes, I had looked this up some time ago. IIRC, the bags come in 60-inch and 72-inch sizes. However, I was considering that for building a blind for duck hunting a bolt of fabric would be more practical. And sewing? no. I was thinking something like staples or some other closure method.

Also, I can see that having a bolt of fabric, perhaps covering a body in a camo bag would be better concealment if he were ever in an accident and the cover on his truck was compromised.

Even if an officer came to the scene of an accident, if RH were conscious he could get into a duck hunting discussion with the officer and offer a good distraction. Of course, I've written fiction, so this is all my own imagining. Plus, I may overthink everything.

snipped for focus:
Brown says WH is Rex's grandmother's uncle, and apparently is alive or was alive recently enough to appear on pole cam while Rex was under surveillance. It seems, WH has visited Rex's home, then. I imagine pole cams primarily record people entering and leaving Rex's property.
OOPS -- Michael Brown is going to have a real problem with WH as an alternate suspect. IF WH is related to RH, and it had been Rex's mtDNA, it would be a confusing line for a jury to get back to RH's grandmother's uncle. HOWEVER, the DNA on the belt matches Asa!

"Through a forensic analysis of a hair found on the belt buckle used to restrain victim Maureen Brainard-Barnes’s body, detectives obtained nuclear DNA results that they said are nearly identical to Asa Ellerup, Heuermann’s wife," quoting from a Chanel 12, the Bronx article.

https://bronx.news12.com/court-reco...-wife-daughter-recovered-from-victims- bodies

Of course, if there's proof WH was in the home of RH and AE, it could still be transfer. But on all the victims? with such differences of time? Separating the cases seems to be very advantageous for RH.

Last edited:
OOPS -- Michael Brown is going to have a real problem with WH as an alternate suspect. IF WH is related to RH, and it had been Rex's mtDNA, it would be a confusing line for a jury to get back to RH's grandmother's uncle. HOWEVER, the DNA on the belt matches Asa!

"Through a forensic analysis of a hair found on the belt buckle used to restrain victim Maureen Brainard-Barnes’s body, detectives obtained nuclear DNA results that they said are nearly identical to Asa Ellerup, Heuermann’s wife," quoting from a Chanel 12, the Bronx article.

https://bronx.news12.com/court-reco...-wife-daughter-recovered-from-victims- bodies

Of course, if there's proof WH was in the home of RH and AE, it could still be transfer. But on all the victims? with such differences of time? Separating the cases seems to be very advantageous for RH.
Will see if it will happen, be alllowed at all, very $$$.

Wouldn't that make Rex's grandmother's uncle very old?
That's going back 3 generations.
Rex = 60.
Parent = 80?
Grandmother = 100?
Grandmother's uncle = Grandmother's parent's brother = 100+ ?

Wouldn't that make Rex's grandmother's uncle very old?
That's going back 3 generations.
Rex = 60.
Parent = 80?
Grandmother = 100?
Grandmother's uncle = Grandmother's parent's brother = 100+ ?
Worth a try. Mom is 90 something

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back